• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thursday Night Games

Started by Throwback1, October 29, 2007, 01:19:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Throwback1

Can somebody explain to me the history or reason or whatever that we have Thursday night games this week instead of all of 'em being on Friday night like normal?

stkylepr67

I thought you scheduled your last game on Thursday night so you can scout you first round opponent on Friday night.

Throwback1

Quote from: stkylepr67 on October 29, 2007, 04:01:55 pm
I thought you scheduled your last game on Thursday night so you can scout you first round opponent on Friday night.

What if your first round opponent opts to play on Thursday?  It is an option, right?

Kingfisher

I have found this somewhat paradoxical also..... ???
If a team plays on Thursday so they can go scout on Friday, who are they going to scout, if all the rest of the teams decide to do the same?

chiefsfan

One half of the reason you play on Thursday is a free chance to scout on Friday

The other half the reason, is that State Teachers meetings are usually the Thursday and Friday of the last week of the season, and many public school kids are out of school for those days...  especially those schools in the Central Part of the state

Throwback1

Quote from: chiefsfan on October 29, 2007, 05:03:52 pm

The other half the reason, is that State Teachers meetings are usually the Thursday and Friday of the last week of the season, and many public school kids are out of school for those days...  especially those schools in the Central Part of the state

Is it an option, though?  CF plays at HS Thursday night, and I think they got classes Friday,,,kids oughta get in bed by 1 or so...

chiefsfan

Quote from: Throwback1 on October 29, 2007, 05:27:52 pm

Is it an option, though?  CF plays at HS Thursday night, and I think they got classes Friday,,,kids oughta get in bed by 1 or so...

yes, it is an option, as long as there are no junior high games to compete with, then you can play on Thursday if both teams agree

Jonesboro schools have class that friday as well, but Valley View is still playing Westside on thursday...

Now if a long trip is involved, then yes its suggested you dont have class the next day.  But week 10 is a big rivalry week, so alot of the matchups are between nearby teams...  making it easy for them to get home at a decent hour

Throwback1

Quote from: chiefsfan on October 29, 2007, 09:49:07 pm

yes, it is an option, as long as there are no junior high games to compete with, then you can play on Thursday if both teams agree

Jonesboro schools have class that friday as well, but Valley View is still playing Westside on thursday...

Now if a long trip is involved, then yes its suggested you dont have class the next day.  But week 10 is a big rivalry week, so alot of the matchups are between nearby teams...  making it easy for them to get home at a decent hour

got it...thanks for your time...etal.

Kingfisher

Quote from: Throwback1 on October 29, 2007, 09:54:05 pm

got it...thanks for your time...etal.
10-4...makes sense

ppop

Quote from: Throwback1 on October 29, 2007, 05:27:52 pmIs it an option, though?  CF plays at HS Thursday night, and I think they got classes Friday,,,kids oughta get in bed by 1 or so...
Your teachers aren't going to the meeting?

Throwback1

Quote from: ppop on October 30, 2007, 09:58:26 am
Quote from: Throwback1 on October 29, 2007, 05:27:52 pmIs it an option, though?  CF plays at HS Thursday night, and I think they got classes Friday,,,kids oughta get in bed by 1 or so...

We dont have classes Friday?  Oh, well...nobody ever tells me anything.

ppop

Quote from: Throwback1 on October 30, 2007, 10:18:14 am

I'm in that club, too!  Found out by going to a booster club meeting several weeks ago!  ;)

Throwback1

Quote from: ppop on October 30, 2007, 10:26:26 am

I'm in that club, too!  Found out by going to a booster club meeting several weeks ago!  ;)

I guess he's in school when he's suppose to be....ever since he turned 16 and got that truck, I'm not even sure I've seen him more than 4 or 5 times.

ppop

Quote from: Throwback1 on October 30, 2007, 10:28:23 am

I guess he's in school when he's suppose to be....ever since he turned 16 and got that truck, I'm not even sure I've seen him more than 4 or 5 times.
I hear you.  People are forever asking me questions about whats going on in his life and generally say, "I haven't seen him this week."  That's usually on Friday night!  (It's not that bad, but some weeks it seems like it.)
Oh, and Magnolia's out of school on Thursday, too!  ;)

Throwback1

Quote from: ppop on October 30, 2007, 10:32:04 am
Quote from: Throwback1 on October 30, 2007, 10:28:23 am

I hear you.  People are forever asking me questions about whats going on in his life and generally say, "I haven't seen him this week."  That's usually on Friday night!  (It's not that bad, but some weeks it seems like it.)
Oh, and Magnolia's out of school on Thursday, too!  ;)

Well, if he's not out of school, and he hears Magnolia is out of school Thursday, too, he'll be out  Thursday because he'll make the decision that it's his constitutional right, then I'll have to whop him upside the head with an axe handle, then....aw, nevermind..it's all just too ugly to talk about.

Rulesman

yes, it is an option... you can play on Thursday if both teams agree...

The sole reason is because VV is hosting the state volleyball tournament.

parpar

Guys and Gals -

Every school district, by law, has a website and the school calendar is posted there.  If you have a child in school or you work there, might be worth looking at.

SouthpawSensation

Another reason behind Thursday night games on the last week of the regular season that hasn't been brought up, and this dates back quite a few years ago.
Several years ago, the first day of gun deer season fell on the first Saturday in November, or the Saturday after the final regular-season game. Some schools thought their football attendance would suffer from hunters wanting to be in their deer camps on Friday nights, so they would schedule the games for Thursday.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas