• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which schools have the longest rivalry in the state?

Started by Lanny, September 25, 2007, 09:56:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

Budders

I know fordyce/rison started some time later than 1908 I was thinking the 30's does anyone have any background on this?

justin_njhs09

I think Newport and Batesville "The White River Bowl" started some time in the 20s.

Legend

Quality over quanity. Ozark Booneville best rivalry game

Hogs86

Arkansas High and Texas High

Rivalry been going strong since 1912!

Saw one sight that had it listed as the 6th best Rivalry in the Nation!

Also will be featured on NBC'S Toyota Line of Scrimmage sometime this fall, can't remember the exact date.

BarclayAlmanac

I thought there would be more debate on this. It certainly looks like most are conceding that Fayetteville versus Springdale is the best rivalry in the state.

I agree that Texas High versus Arkansas High is truly one of the best, and most unique, rivalries in the nation. It certainly qualifies as one of the best in the state as well, except it includes a team from Texas! We don't admit anything with burnt orange associated with it is the best in anything !!!

I would have to say that the Nashville versus Hope rivalry is one of the top rivalries in the state. That one started in 1910 and became one of those Thanksgiving Day games in 1924. Those were the best rivalries in the state before the playoffs began in the late 60s.

Newport versus Batesville would have to be way up there as well, and is another old Thanksgiving Day game.

Little Rock Central and Little Rock Hall, which plays the Battle for the Bell, is also an historic rivalry.

Northside versus Southside in Fort Smith is truly one of the top rivalries as well. It began in 1965 and has been played every season since then. The fact that they played each other for the state championship in the state's largest classification in both '87 and '88 elevated it to among the elite rivalries in the state. Few teams can claim that distinction.

philip.seaton

Pine Bluff and LR Central have probably played more games that meant a lot more than any other rivalry out there, but not lately. Though I feel like that is going to change.

BusyMom

toobad4u993

P.F.G.

Alma and VB have been going at it for about 50 years

mdoyle13

Leland tosses a few pretty good rivalries out there. I thought the Hope-Nashville offering was interesting because it's not one that gets much statewide notice, but it is one of those that the smaller school somehow gets the better of the larger one quite often.

I saw one of those instances in 1978. Hope was 9-0 entering the season-ender against Nashville. Leading 12-6 or 12-7 with about a minute left, Hope intercepted a pass in the end zone. Needing only to run out the clock to win, Hope somehow fumbled while taking a knee and Nashville recovered, then scored with about 20 seconds left to win 13-12. Hope lost in the first round of the playoffs the next week to a Crossett team with Bill Pierce and Ronald Metheny, which went on to win the state title.

I've seen a few of those Fayetteville-Springdale battles, including the MacKenzie Phillips game. And then there was the one in either 1996 or 1997 when Fayetteville had the better team but Springdale scored about three touchdowns in the final four minutes or so to win by 13. Ironically, Springdale had to win by 13 to make the playoffs.

Who knows what is the "best" rivalry out there. Everybody thinks the game between their favorite rooting interest and that big rival is the best. It's what helps make every Friday worth going to see.

Lions84

October 05, 2007, 08:38:08 pm #12 Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:17:14 am by Lions84
Clarendon vs Brinkley since the 1912 or so
Clarendon vs Holly Grove since 1918
Clarendon Lion Football the Only game in Town since 1909.

RisonRacingFan

Quote from: authenticity on September 25, 2007, 12:53:29 pm
I know fordyce/rison started some time later than 1908 I was thinking the 30's does anyone have any background on this?

Rison is in it's 80th year of football, and began playing Fordyce in 1952 with Rison winning 37-7.

Here is something I wrote up right before this years game

It is the middle of August, the summertime heat is beaming down on the field as a group of young men prepare for battle in the first Big game of the season. In both towns you will hear quotes like "18 days till Fordyce men, it is time to suck it up because play time is over."  or quotes like "The Wildcats are coming to town in a few weeks, and we will defend our turf." The towns people are at local diners early each morning talking about last evenings practice, and the upcoming game that will empty both towns.

Some may ask why the two towns feel this is one of the top, if not the top rivalry in the State of Arkansas. The length of the rivalry is one of many reasons. The rivalry began in 1952 with a 37-7 victory by Rison. This years game will be the 55th season that the two teams have met up. Fordyce broke a 5 game losing streak to defeat Rison last year by the score of 39-6 at Wildcat Stadium in Rison. Another reason many feel the way they do, is the amount of people who attend the yearly game. It is standing room only, with both sidelines and end zones, not to mention the stands, full of people. You will not see that kind of crowd at any other game for both teams in the remainder of the season, unless one of them plays for a State Championship.

In the early 90's, the two teams started battling for the Paul "Bear" Bryant Trophy. The greatest football mind of all time was born and raised in Fordyce. He began a long tradition of great football minds who have come out of the small South East Arkansas town. The agreement was that the first team to win 3 straight games, would forever hold possession of the Trophy. In 1996, Rison won it's third straight game to take Eternal Possession of the coveted trophy.

Families come together during this time of year, not only for a family reunion, but for the game that will show both towns what each respective team will have for that season. In the history of the game, there have been times when Fordyce dominated Rison, and went onto a great season, while Rison struggled to keep face. The role has been reversed a few times with Rison dominating Fordyce, and going to a great season, while Fordyce struggled through another rebuilding year, then there have been times when the game ended in a tie, and both teams went on to win the State Championship in their respective classes.

Now, here we are once again. Rison vs Fordyce week is here. Plans are being made, tickets are being bought. Both teams have played, and won their respective scrimmage games, and are ready for another knock down drag out fight in South East Arkansas this Friday night! The game starts at 7:00 PM with Fordyce being the host team. If you plan on sitting down, you better come early to get your seat, because the stands will be full by 6:00 PM. The epic rivalry of Rison vs Fordyce is about to go head to head one more time for bragging rights between the two towns for one more year!

Miner Nation

Bauxite and Magnet Cove began a series that started in 1950 until 2003.  The rivalry was called the Aluminum Bowl.  The series will resume next year.

rabs_fan4life

Quote from: Whammy24 on October 12, 2007, 05:54:01 pm
Jacksonville vs. Cabot
For sure!  My grandpa is 71 years old and graduated from Jacksonville High and he talks all the time about how their biggest rival 50+ years ago was Cabot and has told me lots about the rivalry between those two schools and about all of the times he played in the Jville/Cabot games.... it definately still alive and well today!  This one has my vote!

SandLizard

Russellville & Conway started in 1909. Dardanelle & Danville is old too but don't know when it started but do know it was going by mid 1920's because my dad played for Dardanelle in 1926.

fanindastands

FC Vs. WYNNE is a good one, but I like FC vs. West Memphis better. The "Cotton Bowl" is one of the most anticipated games around here.

Dunno how the "cotton bowl" is gonna fair after the change in classifications, but I hope they keep it up, even for perhaps a non conference game.

greenmachine

Des Arc and Hazen for the prairie county championship which once included Devalls Bluff

olddog79

Springdale vs fayetteville ...for over 100 years.

BTW, The Red Dogs have dominated this rivalry by a margin of 3 to 1.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas