• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the one thing you would change about Arkansas High School Football?

Started by Quite Frankly, February 20, 2007, 03:10:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tmycjy

better classafation system

my idea is

6-A   32 team
5-A   32 team
4-A   32 Team
3-A   64 team
2-A   40 Team

total 200 school for football

tigerfan-bigwill

Quote from: Lions84 on March 02, 2007, 11:10:43 am
Allow the Cut block, Crackback  and the Forearm shiver !

Bring in 6 man football for the lower half of todays 2a conferance. Go back to 5 classes overall!

Bring back being able to clobber the deep snapper on punts, Fieldgoals and EX Points.

Why should the deep snapper get clobbered? I happen to be one and at practice once some dumb*ss jumped at me while I was still in my snapping stance and collapsed my leg. That rule would cause for unnecessary injury.

The Train

Quote from: football git ya sum on March 03, 2007, 10:31:34 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on March 02, 2007, 11:10:43 am
Allow the Cut block, Crackback  and the Forearm shiver !

Bring in 6 man football for the lower half of todays 2a conferance. Go back to 5 classes overall!

Bring back being able to clobber the deep snapper on punts, Fieldgoals and EX Points.

Why should the deep snapper get clobbered? I happen to be one and at practice once some dumb*ss jumped at me while I was still in my snapping stance and collapsed my leg. That rule would cause for unnecessary injury.

I thought it was illegal to hit the deep snapper...

key_stone12

Quote from: tmycjy on March 02, 2007, 07:57:17 pm
better classafation system

my idea is

6-A   32 team
5-A   32 team
4-A   32 Team
3-A   64 team
2-A   40 Team

total 200 school for football

Good idea.
The remaining schools could have 7 or 8 man football.

TwoMinuteOffense

Quote from: GlennMParrish on February 22, 2007, 05:54:33 pm
This will draw some ire, but those who know me, know I've written in on many occasions:

GET RID OF PRIVATE SCHOOLS -- ALL OF THEM INTO A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN.
Then your state championships would mean nothing. Got to beat the best to be the best Public or Private.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: TwoMinuteOffense on March 05, 2007, 06:58:48 pm
Quote from: GlennMParrish on February 22, 2007, 05:54:33 pm
This will draw some ire, but those who know me, know I've written in on many occasions:

GET RID OF PRIVATE SCHOOLS -- ALL OF THEM INTO A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN.
Then your state championships would mean nothing. Got to beat the best to be the best Public or Private.

WRONG.

That would mean only ONE of you guys could, and you just couldn't stand that.

not ray

Certainly would not change the top 2 classifications at all if the private schools were left out. 

key_stone12

Quote from: S.D. Jones on March 05, 2007, 08:47:46 pm
Certainly would not change the top 2 classifications at all if the private schools were left out. 
Catholic would drop out.

not ray

Like I said it would not affec the top classes at all.  1 of 32 that won a title 20 years ago.  No one is concerned with them.

key_stone12

Quote from: S.D. Jones on March 05, 2007, 10:15:28 pm
Like I said it would not affec the top classes at all.  1 of 32 that won a title 20 years ago.  No one is concerned with them.
Obviously it would. One 6A team would move up, allowing a 5A school to move to the 6A. We don't know the affect these two teams could have.

mudturtle

So you want to put Catholic with 1463, CAC with 460 and Abundant Life with 190 in the same classification?

Shoot, if you think that is fair, why not just have ONE classification for the public schools.

not ray

Quote from: key_stone12 on March 05, 2007, 10:33:04 pm
Obviously it would. One 6A team would move up, allowing a 5A school to move to the 6A. We don't know the affect these two teams could have.

You are not following what I am saying.  The above person had said that the titles would mean nothing without the private schools.  Catholic while they are there does not usually even come close to being a player.  Anyone with half a brain knows that it would affect the what things are alligned but that is not what was being talked about.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: mudturtle on March 06, 2007, 06:27:45 am
So you want to put Catholic with 1463, CAC with 460 and Abundant Life with 190 in the same classification?

Shoot, if you think that is fair, why not just have ONE classification for the public schools.

Recruit a few more. Or for that matter, have your own multiple classes of eight or whatever number you want.

not ray

No one ever said going to private schools would come on the cheap.  Hey right now some public schools are basically fighting the same battle you are saying could happen. 

key_stone12

Quote from: S.D. Jones on March 06, 2007, 07:31:00 am
Quote from: key_stone12 on March 05, 2007, 10:33:04 pm

You are not following what I am saying.  The above person had said that the titles would mean nothing without the private schools.  Catholic while they are there does not usually even come close to being a player.  Anyone with half a brain knows that it would affect the what things are alligned but that is not what was being talked about.
My bad. I didn't understand your statement.

I agree.

mudturtle

Quote from: S.D. Jones on March 06, 2007, 10:40:35 am

No one ever said going to private schools would come on the cheap.  Hey right now some public schools are basically fighting the same battle you are saying could happen. 

No, I don't that is a fair statement.  Yes, there are SOME public schools that play SOME public schools with a much larger enrollment, but (good or bad) the AAA has tried hard to minimize that by shrinking the size of the Classifications.  Some disparity still exists.

But perhaps I have been too hasty in my defense.  Maybe you can a provide a few examples of an Arkansass public schools being in a league where their opponents have enrollments of 3 to 4 times as large as others.

You may have to be carefull for what you wish. 

If you really did make the private schools develop their own league and rules do you think the powerhouse schools like Shiloh, PA (and possibly CAC) are going to drop their competition down to the level of AB, ECS, and Lutheran?  Our do you think it is likely that some of them will want to try to compete out of state with more competive schools, perhaps even scheduling  the Hooper's, Evangeline's and SouthLake Carroll's?

Take away the coaching restrictions, academic standards, antirecruting rules and the scholarship limitations and let them give outstanding athletes regional exposure and you might find that the best high school athletes are leaving their public schools for much better exposure and greater opportunities at the collegiate level.

In the long run, you might decide it was better having the private schools where you had some control over them.

WMWRECKINGCREW

I think there should be a true all-star game against another state.

I also think more schools should play out of state. We need exposure to the national community.

not ray

Quote from: mudturtle on March 07, 2007, 07:41:18 am

No, I don't that is a fair statement.  Yes, there are SOME public schools that play SOME public schools with a much larger enrollment, but (good or bad) the AAA has tried hard to minimize that by shrinking the size of the Classifications.  Some disparity still exists.

But perhaps I have been too hasty in my defense.  Maybe you can a provide a few examples of an Arkansass public schools being in a league where their opponents have enrollments of 3 to 4 times as large as others.

If you really did make the private schools develop their own league and rules do you think the powerhouse schools like Shiloh, PA (and possibly CAC) are going to drop their competition down to the level of AB, ECS, and Lutheran?  Our do you think it is likely that some of them will want to try to compete out of state with more competive schools, perhaps even scheduling  the Hooper's, Evangeline's and SouthLake Carroll's?

Take away the coaching restrictions, academic standards, antirecruting rules and the scholarship limitations and let them give outstanding athletes regional exposure and you might find that the best high school athletes are leaving their public schools for much better exposure and greater opportunities at the collegiate level.

In the long run, you might decide it was better having the private schools where you had some control over them.

I honestly care a lot less than you do about this.  It has ZERO affect on me. 

GlennMParrish

Goodbye and good riddance.

TwoMinuteOffense

Quote from: GlennMParrish on March 07, 2007, 09:46:18 am

And give the public school state champions a plastic ring since thats all it would mean when you didn't beat the best whether private or public.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: TwoMinuteOffense on March 07, 2007, 12:11:15 pm

And give the public school state champions a plastic ring since thats all it would mean when you didn't beat the best whether private or public.

You imply a private is always better than a public.  :( That isn't always the case (70-28 comes to mind). Given your idea, if the two were split what should the ring for the private champ be, the cheap gold that taints the finger?

mudturtle

Well truly the Golden Ring should go to the one willing to face all comers, win the game and prove superiority.

And that means that Greenwood gets a ton of credit for scheduling Shiloh last year.  They didn't have to schedule them, they could have looked for an easy victory to pad their schedule, but like true champions, they looked for competition.  In the end, that extra experience against a quality spread offence might have been the factor that pushed them over the top in Little Rock.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: mudturtle on March 07, 2007, 02:46:01 pm
Well truly the Golden Ring should go to the one willing to face all comers, win the game and prove superiority.

And that means that Greenwood gets a ton of credit for scheduling Shiloh last year.  They didn't have to schedule them, they could have looked for an easy victory to pad their schedule, but like true champions, they looked for competition.  In the end, that extra experience against a quality spread offence might have been the factor that pushed them over the top in Little Rock.

Takes a lot of gumption to schedule someone a third your size.

not ray

That early stuff means nothing and had zero to do with them winning it all 13 weeks later.  Honestly, if you think a 49-48 loss was the difference in your season.  Well...  nothing else needs to be said. 

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: AU4LIFE on February 28, 2007, 04:02:25 amWinning draws athletes.

Then I find it odd why some winning programs are lucky to have one transfer a year.

mudturtle

Because they come at the start of the 9th grade rather than wait and have to sit out a year.

TwoMinuteOffense

Quote from: GlennMParrish on March 07, 2007, 02:28:10 pm

You imply a private is always better than a public.  :( That isn't always the case (70-28 comes to mind). Given your idea, if the two were split what should the ring for the private champ be, the cheap gold that taints the finger?
On the years they won they deserve the championship. Also if they don't win all the time then why kick them out. As for 70-28 that was our sophmore heavy team, it didnt happen the year before and it sure wouldn't have happen this year. (same team only now seniors)

GlennMParrish

Quote from: TwoMinuteOffense on March 08, 2007, 02:13:03 pm
Quote from: GlennMParrish on March 07, 2007, 02:28:10 pm

On the years they won they deserve the championship. Also if they don't win all the time then why kick them out. As for 70-28 that was our sophmore heavy team, it didnt happen the year before and it sure wouldn't have happen this year. (same team only now seniors)
The year before that which you spoke of was our sophomore heavy team.

Quite Frankly

not ray

I think it should evolve into which team was better Central 03' or Springdale 05'.  It has been way too long since a thread moved to that argument.

OLDGOLD

Private schools want it seperate, but equal, Jim Crow laws. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now. Private schools want all the advantages, and none of the disadvantages. If a Private school is smaller than others, Fire your Marketing(RECRUITING) director, and get out there and expand your market.

Quite Frankly

After hearing many of the same things brought up again over and over, I've got my wish and it's a change from my previous stance:

Different conferences alignments for football.  Football is the one that creates the most furor.  Do away with the multiplier and simply make every football private school move up two classes versus their enrollment.

For other sports, move up just one class.

Give each school the option of moving up even more if they so choose.

Pirate#4

Id like it if they would let the teams play like they do in arena football. Small field and everything. They could do this durring the summer or something its just a suggestion. Tell me what u think.

baller32

That might work for flag football but not full contact. Too much to risk before 2 adays

Smithian

I would love an overall state championship. What could be done is let the current classification system be used to determine a state champion then after that is done, have have another playoff for each state champion. Use some system to determine seeding and allow, NFL style, to allow top 2 of 4 have BYE weeks. This would allow 6 state championships and an overall STATE champion so that 5 teams go home happy and 1 goes home ecstatic.

Also, this would allow a a possible division of Private and Public, which I don't support but it is possible. You could have 4 main classifications of public schools and 2 private school conferences. Use the same post-season type tournament for overall state champion. The only problem is the lesser of the two private school state champions would be a sacrificial lamb to whomever draws them.

GlennMParrish

Quote from: OLDGOLD on March 12, 2007, 06:04:30 pm
Private schools want it seperate, but equal, Jim Crow laws. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now. Private schools want all the advantages, and none of the disadvantages. If a Private school is smaller than others, Fire your Marketing(RECRUITING) director, and get out there and expand your market.

good post +1 (if I could)

Uncle Ivan

Two classes isn't enough.  Require all of them to play at the highest classification possible, or leave.

Another thing is that I'd allow overtime to be played for noncon games.

Rulesman

shiloh forever

I think all the classifications inside a regular classification should be done with.I also agree with just 5 classes.

Super Scrapper

tmycjy

mrmitchell

four classifications

as much as i loathe private schools, they remain in the mix with public schools.  their supporters have good points.

and forevermore, the top classification has to have representation from every corner of the state.

Miner Nation

Quote from: tmycjy on March 29, 2007, 05:58:55 pm
The only thing i would change is that new classafation System

I like the classifications but I think 6A and 7A should be combined.  Also, reorganize the conferences the next cycle.  I think the AAA can better align teams in new conferences that are closer together.

FD4

I would have the Private schools playing in a league of their own, and would come down hard on the public schools that try and recruit from outside their school district.

THE Miner

Glen rose sprit

Quote from: HA_Fan™ on February 21, 2007, 12:26:49 am
Quote from: Miner Nation on February 20, 2007, 11:58:24 pm
Overtime should be played just like in college and no first round byes in the playoffs.

I would be fine with that too.  Starting at the 10 is a disadvantage to passing teams.

well take a delay of game if you need more room ya know. later dayzz....Dodd GOML

Lions84

Quote from: key_stone12 on March 02, 2007, 02:32:40 pm
Quote from: Lions84 link=topic=64370.msg1312827#msg1312827 date=1172855443
/quote]

NO! I'm kinda biased being a deep snapper. However, we can be hurt so easily.

PS When we were playing back in the early 1980's we would heads up and gap the Deepsnapper in order to get pentration for a punt/ kick block.  We rang a few bells but never really hurt anybody ie Knee or leg injuries.

Catgrad79

I would make the private schools play themselves. Private and public champion.

All conference champs would get a first round bye. You would take only 3 teams from each conference. Runner up and Third would play for the right to play the conference champs in the second round. All semi-final's would be played at a neutral site somewhere in between the two schools.

Only the largest 32 schools in AA would play regular football. Schools smaller than that would be classified as A and would play 8 man football.

Panther_Superman77

I would change the Celebration Policy to where you can do Endzone dances/Spikeing the football/Sack Celebrations, that would make the game so much more fun.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas