• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the one thing you would change about Arkansas High School Football?

Started by Quite Frankly, February 20, 2007, 03:10:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Quite Frankly

No need to change it back when you couldn't do it in high school much anyway.  By all means, lets bring more attention to the individuals over the team.

not ray

Exactly.  You can an individual when you are good enough to get paid to do it.

Panther_Superman77

Nah dude, thats not what I'm saying, I don't want the rule to change for that reason, I just want it to change a little, maybe no end zone dances, But I'm just saying that it would make the game a little more competitive and more fun.

3-4 Blitz

Hire me as a football coach in th LR area. ( Am retiring in Tx at end of school year after 33 years of coaching)

phdefense

I would change the ball. I would prefer they use the slimmer style that the NFL uses.

Jakeabu Timmigatu

I wouldn't let the coaches be Homers towards the homegrown talent.  If a kid moves in from out of state, he should be treated as well as the kids who have been in town their whole lives.  I think it's funny when all of the awards go to the coach's friends' kids.  That gets annoying.

HAF19

TRENCH WAR

Done before and was a colossal mistake. Why was this such a mistake? Number one, some of these teams that win there conferense would not of won it in another conferense. Second more schools would improve there fields hoping to get a playoff game at there school. Last, how does it seem wright to let a weaker team drive 3 or 4 hours to play a stronger team sitting at home resting with home field advantage. 

not ray

Well thats the breaks.  You win your conference you get homefield advantage.  Believe me it was a colossal mistake and that is why it last 1 or 2 years max.  The realized the stupidity of asking 2 teams to go play somewhere and have everyone traveling (gas is now about 4 times the cost it was at that time).  Not only that the hosting school had to provide concessions workers etc.  That was great.  I had to work one of those nights.  Yep nothing like working a concession stand at my school during the playoffs while 2 other schools play on our field.  You play 10 games to earn the homefield.  Whinning about it is not going to change who is the better team.  Show up and win.  It is easy as that.  I was there and saw what a mistake it was.

Quite Frankly

I would rather watch my team play a road game than the hollowness of a neutral site. 

not ray

The 2 games I saw were the most uneventful games I have ever been to.  The only neutral site game there should be is the state title game.

TRENCH WAR

I had to work one of those nights.  Yep nothing like working a concession stand at my school during the playoffs while 2 other schools play on our field.

your griping about working in a consession stand that brought money to your school even though yall where sitting at home. Thats probablly why you where sitting at home, because you are lazy.

fbfan56

Use NCAA rules. 
I would like to see the defense gat a chance at 2 points for blocking and returning PAT, INT, or fumble. 
I prefer college overtime rules.
I do NOT want to see cut blocks, though.  Player safety should ALWAYS come before college prep skills.
Go to a 4-year cycle. 
Smaller conferences so you can at least keep rivalry games.  There used to be some great ones that you don't see anymore.
Private schools---if you want to know what to do about them, ask one of them.  They know more than we do anyway.

not ray

Quote from: TRENCH WAR on May 23, 2007, 05:59:00 pm
I had to work one of those nights.  Yep nothing like working a concession stand at my school during the playoffs while 2 other schools play on our field.

your griping about working in a consession stand that brought money to your school even though yall where sitting at home. Thats probablly why you where sitting at home, because you are lazy.

Ok first of all I was already out of school.  Second of all our school was playing elsewhere.  See that is how much sense it made.  Lazy???  Interesting way to back up your argument of something that did not work nearly 20 years ago and was scrapped due to it's stupidity.  
Also learn how to use the quote function.  I know you have only been here for a sip of water so far, but it really is not that hard to hit the quote function.

COWGIRLUPAR

Game times moved back to 7:30 or 8:00.  With travel times increasing, it's hard to make out of town games at 7:00.  Not everyone has the luxury of taking off early.

TRENCH WAR

No, whats interesting is how they play neutral sites in Texas and the fans there sell more tickets to a 3A game than Arkansas does to a 7A championship game.

not ray

They moved the games from 7:30 to 7:00 because they were going so late.  While they may go back to 7:30 8PM would be out of the question.  No way they are going to have games ended at close to midnight.

COWGIRLUPAR

Quote from: Special Delivery Jones on May 24, 2007, 10:17:17 am
They moved the games from 7:30 to 7:00 because they were going so late.  While they may go back to 7:30 8PM would be out of the question.  No way they are going to have games ended at close to midnight.
[/quoteWhat difference would that make?  High School games are played on a Friday night.  Most folks are off on Saturday.]

tmycjy

COWGIRLUPAR

not ray

I believe I already answered the point.  Now learn to use the quote function or read more and try not to post.  I love the newbies.

Jimbo Morphis

another week of pads in spring and delay start of season by a week or two.

not ray

They get plenty enough of pads in the spring.  Just ask the coaches.

spigluver1

Well probably the fact that u you cant celebrate at all...u get penalized like it aint no thang. i understand penalizing some T.O crap like in the NFL....but just spiking the ball or jumpin around with team mates is pennalized.

MS_hornet_06

Quote from: GlennMParrish on February 23, 2007, 09:47:42 am
Stop complaining and just beat them.

It was a question. Gave my opinion. Like so many of your constituents who might answer "Change officiating crews when Warren plays Nashville."

Change crews in all rivalries (no more bickering about homegrown refs).

Also, narrow conferences to 6 teams to allow competition between local schools and drop costs of travel for teams traveling 2 hours or more for conference games.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Special Delivery Jones on June 08, 2007, 10:43:29 am
They get plenty enough of pads in the spring.  Just ask the coaches.
i did, the two i talked with want 10 days instead of 5.

Hoghead

Quote from: HA_Fan™ on February 21, 2007, 12:26:49 am
I would be fine with that too.  Starting at the 10 is a disadvantage to passing teams.

So take away the running teams advantage. Yea!

Quite Frankly

tcor145

Make the officials REALLY have to take a test to be licensed to officiate. Just my opinion.

Busman

1.  Extend spring practice to two weeks AND allow a game or a jamboree in the spring.
2.  Start the season the Friday after Labor Day.
3.  Have a 6A and 7A "Super Bowl" following the finals.  Talk about a money maker.
4.  Have the All-Star game be against a neighboring state.

Hoghead

Quote from: Busman on July 06, 2007, 01:52:51 pm
1.  Extend spring practice to two weeks AND allow a game or a jamboree in the spring.
3.  Have a 6A and 7A "Super Bowl" following the finals.  Talk about a money maker.

All Good Points. Except the All Star Teams playing a neighboring State. TEXAS WOULD KILL US!!!!!! SO it'd have to be against a Missouri ALL Star Team. Louisiana and Mississippi would show us the door also. Now a West Tennessee All-Star Team Arkansas High Schoolers could handle.

Hoghead

Quote from: President Ivan on March 16, 2007, 04:48:02 am
Two classes isn't enough.  Require all of them to play at the highest classification possible, or leave.

Another thing is that I'd allow overtime to be played for noncon games.

Good Idea.  Still suffering from that PB D-Way Tie I Suppose?

neafbfan

1. Three classes consisting of Super Class I,II,II
     a. Class I consists of the 100 largest football playing schools in the state.
     b. Class II consists the second 100 largest football playing schools.
     c. Class III consists of "ALL" non-football playing schools.
2. Classes I and II would consists of 10 conferences with 10 teams aka Super   
    Conferences. The top 20 schools in each corner NW,NE,SE,SW and Central would 
    make up 2 - 10 team conferences in each area. There would be some   
   jockeying around to even out travel.
   Sizewise, the largest 10 of the 20 make one conference, the lesser 10 make up the
   other conference. This would mostly eliminate 2 hr travel to games.
3. The top 5 in each conference play a two week playoff with winner take all going
    to  state. Seeds 1,2,3 get a bye   while 4/5 play a wild card game ike the NFL w/
    winner playing #1 seed.
4. The Super Class Champs I and II play an outright overall championship.

neafbfan

In the above Super Class scenario the 2007 playoffs would have played out thusly:
Super Class I
FB = FSS v. Nashville and Greenwood v. Texarkana 2 winners play for Championship.
BKB= Boys-FSN v. Huntsville and Jonesboro v. GC Tech.
GBKB = FSN v. CAC and LR Parkview v. Camden Fairview
VB = FSS v. Valley View and Jonesboro v. Siloam Springs
BSB = Fayetteville v. Nashville and Texarkana v. GC Tech
GSB = Fayetteville v. Dardanelle and HSLH v. Vilonia

Super Class II
FB = Shiloh v. Jessieville
BKB= Junction City v. Runner Up (Riverview is a NFB school and would be class III)
GBKB = Marshall v. Carlisle
VB = N/A
BSB = Horatio v. Parkers Chapel
GSB = Elkins v. Foreman

Super Class III
FB = No schools in class III play football
BKB = Riverview vs. ?
GBKB = Sacred Heart v. Wickes
VB = Brookland v. ?
BSB = SS Bee Branch v. ?
GSB = Westside Greers Ferry v. ?

Results = 3 Classes, 3 Champions
More games = More Gate $$$$$
AAA oughta love that the most.

muleshoe_forever

Quote from: Hoghead, Fearless Friday's Mob Boss! on July 06, 2007, 03:16:43 pm
Quote from: Busman on July 06, 2007, 01:52:51 pm

All Good Points. Except the All Star Teams playing a neighboring State. TEXAS WOULD KILL US!!!!!! SO it'd have to be against a Missouri ALL Star Team. Louisiana and Mississippi would show us the door also. Now a West Tennessee All-Star Team Arkansas High Schoolers could handle.

Mississippi's all-star team plays Alabama.....so they're taken.   But it's an example of state vs. state.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: neafbfan on July 13, 2007, 01:52:57 pm
In the above Super Class scenario the 2007 playoffs would have played out thusly:
Super Class I
FB = FSS v. Nashville and Greenwood v. Texarkana 2 winners play for Championship.
BKB= Boys-FSN v. Huntsville and Jonesboro v. GC Tech.
GBKB = FSN v. CAC and LR Parkview v. Camden Fairview
VB = FSS v. Valley View and Jonesboro v. Siloam Springs
BSB = Fayetteville v. Nashville and Texarkana v. GC Tech
GSB = Fayetteville v. Dardanelle and HSLH v. Vilonia

Super Class II
FB = Shiloh v. Jessieville
BKB= Junction City v. Runner Up (Riverview is a NFB school and would be class III)
GBKB = Marshall v. Carlisle
VB = N/A
BSB = Horatio v. Parkers Chapel
GSB = Elkins v. Foreman

Super Class III
FB = No schools in class III play football
BKB = Riverview vs. ?
GBKB = Sacred Heart v. Wickes
VB = Brookland v. ?
BSB = SS Bee Branch v. ?
GSB = Westside Greers Ferry v. ?

Results = 3 Classes, 3 Champions
More games = More Gate $$$$$
AAA oughta love that the most.

A lot of thought into to something that just simply doesn't pass the eye test.

muleshoe_forever

The AAA knew what they were doing when they split the old 5A....hold on let me explain (Cause I can already hear the arguing)....
In the old 5A you had the smallest schools in a classification with schools 3.5 times their size.   This would be like Nashville being in a classification with F.S. Southside, Prescott vs. Lake Hamilton, or Jessieville vs. Wynne.   These games would be blowouts and wouldn't likely be played during the non-conference season anyways.

I do believe it is rediculous to play for a state title out of 16 teams,  but until the largest schools such as North Little Rock, Bentonville, Fayetteville, and Conway split to two high schools with two separate classification numbers, their would be no other way to get the size differential of schools narrowed down.  Next on the list of enrollment is Central High School which is already a split school in the Little Rock school district, so this problem will keep occuring until either 1) The largest schools split to more than one high school and leave Central as the largest enrollment school or 2) The enrollment of some of the 6A school jumps to level out with the 7A schools.  Both would prolly have to occur to reform the old 5A and have a "level playing field" based on enrollment numbers.

lionShs

Here's my idea
7A=  NLR                                  6A=        Mountain Home
        Bentonville                                      Parkview
        Fayetteville                                      Lake Hamilton
        Conway                                           Marion
        Central                                            Watson Chapel
        Cabot                                              JA Fair
        FS Southside                                    Jacksonville
        Har-Ber                                            Searcy
        Springdale                                        Forrest City
        Bryant                                              Siloam Springs
         FS Northside                                     Greenwood
        Rogers                                              Magnolia
        Rogers 2
        Van Buren                                         Sylvan Hills
        West Memphis                                   Camden Fariv.
        Catholic                                            Alma
        Russelville                                         White Hall
        Pine Bluff                                             Mills
        Jonesboro                                            GCT
       El Dorado                                             Wynne
       Sheridan                                                Hot Springs
         Texarkan                                              HS Lakeside
         Hall                                                     McClellan
         Benton                                            Beebe  Vilonia

5A-  takes top 8 4A schools to also be 24 schools   

muleshoe_forever

I had thought of that but it still leaves West Memphis in a scary travel scenario that they are currently trying to get them out of.

My idea of classifications would be:
6A 30 teams
5A 36 teams
4A 42 teams
3A 48 teams
2A 50 teams
This is with 6 team conferences.

neafbfan

Quote from: muleshoe_forever on July 13, 2007, 04:13:43 pm
I had thought of that but it still leaves West Memphis in a scary travel scenario that they are currently trying to get them out of.

In my plan WM only has to travel no further than Batesville, about 40 mins north of Searcy, and an hour west of JB where they already go. No more MH trips.

muleshoe_forever

Quote from: neafbfan on July 13, 2007, 06:47:59 pm
Quote from: muleshoe_forever on July 13, 2007, 04:13:43 pm

In my plan WM only has to travel no further than Batesville, about 40 mins north of Searcy, and an hour west of JB where they already go. No more MH trips.

That wouldn't be a bad trip.  I have made the trip from Searcy to West Memphis many times and it isn't really long and from Batesville to WM wouldn't be much longer. I know that going to Mtn. View from Searcy is about the same, but all the way to Mtn. Home  :o  I know you would go via Jonesboro instead of Searcy to go to Mtn. Home from West Memphis,  but it would still be horrible....especially after a loss (one way or the other....WM usually wins that one).  Your plan would be fun to see in action.
I would love to see the old 7AA-West reformed where I could sit back and relax and see good ole blowouts instead of a dogfight every single week in the new 2A-7West

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: COWGIRLUPAR on May 24, 2007, 09:35:21 am
Game times moved back to 7:30 or 8:00.  With travel times increasing, it's hard to make out of town games at 7:00.  Not everyone has the luxury of taking off early.
Sorry, cowgirl, but if you do that, you'll have most media members screaming because of less time to meet deadlines or trying to get scores on the 10 p.m. telecast. Then if a game goes into overtime, they'll really pitch a fit.

SouthpawSensation

Rattler4Life

This will draw some ire, but those who know me, know I've written in on many occasions:

GET RID OF PRIVATE SCHOOLS -- ALL OF THEM INTO A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN.

Amen brother Parish! Or at least no private school should be less than a 3A, no matter the enrollment.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas