• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sheridan Yellowjackets?

Started by Reddie20, September 27, 2017, 12:42:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddie20

How do the Sheridan Yellowjackets get back what they were in the 80s-early 00s? Is Parker legit or just a family name?

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

September 27, 2017, 12:50:31 pm #1 Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:19:48 pm by 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT
Hire a coach that has 2 super athletic sons that play QB and WR and then get some speed in the school district.... 8). Get some of those baseball players interested in football too.

Oldbadger

You know the 80s was a long time ago and sometimes (well most times) my memory isn't too good. But, if I remember right, when Sheridan was so good, Coach Campbell was there and they ran (someone correct me if i'm wrong) a triple option and were run oriented.  That was okay in the conference back then, but in the larger conferences they are in now, a team has problems with that scheme.  Larger schools have the speed and size to defend that.  Someone come in now before I get myself in too deep here. I do remember them playing the Arkadelphia Badgers in the playoffs that year and lost in one of the most exciting games I have ever seen. Over 12000 attended at the HSU stadium which was a huge crowd in that era for high school.

gameoflife

I think there are still some colleges running triple option, the service academies and a few others.  Then you have lots of read option game.  At the lower level there are more and in high school the number varies around the country.  Nothing wrong with option but it is not considered as showy and therefore doesn't put as many butts in the seats.  The trend is toward spread and its as much about attracting fans and recruits as anything.  Look at Bama, perennial power and primarily a run game with great defense.  The old school offfenses are sound and still win when run by coaches that know the system and coach the details.
Also if you are interviewing for jobs in high schools they want to hear you say you run the spread.  Daddys tell their kids they will not make it to the next level in an offense like the triple.  Administrators are looking for those showy offenses and unless you are a coach with a great history running option you won't get far if you say you coach it. 

gameoflife

As for Parker, he has a tough row to hoe at Sheridan.  Last time they did well was early 2000's when Dawson was there for a couple year. It's about Jimmy's and Joe's as much as anything on the field. 

Oldbadger

Quote from: gameoflife on September 27, 2017, 08:11:51 pm
I think there are still some colleges running triple option, the service academies and a few others.  Then you have lots of read option game.  At the lower level there are more and in high school the number varies around the country.  Nothing wrong with option but it is not considered as showy and therefore doesn't put as many butts in the seats.  The trend is toward spread and its as much about attracting fans and recruits as anything.  Look at Bama, perennial power and primarily a run game with great defense.  The old school offfenses are sound and still win when run by coaches that know the system and coach the details.
Also if you are interviewing for jobs in high schools they want to hear you say you run the spread.  Daddys tell their kids they will not make it to the next level in an offense like the triple.  Administrators are looking for those showy offenses and unless you are a coach with a great history running option you won't get far if you say you coach it. 
Probably the best known college in the state that runs the option is Harding.  Of course we remember how well they did last year.  I'm not sure, but it takes some very good athletes to run it and they usually don't pick it up in a year.  Prairie Grove is a very good example in high school in the state that runs it excellently, but, it's all they know and all they have ever run for years ,at least as long as Abshier has been there.  But, every position must do their job exactly right.  Harding, after losing many of their great athletes to graduation are having a more difficult time for whatever reason, but I suspect it's that the athletes aren't quite as good. IMO.

IAFLAR7

Quote from: Oldbadger on September 27, 2017, 09:20:28 pm
Probably the best known college in the state that runs the option is Harding.  Of course we remember how well they did last year.  I'm not sure, but it takes some very good athletes to run it and they usually don't pick it up in a year.  Prairie Grove is a very good example in high school in the state that runs it excellently, but, it's all they know and all they have ever run for years ,at least as long as Abshier has been there.  But, every position must do their job exactly right.  Harding, after losing many of their great athletes to graduation are having a more difficult time for whatever reason, but I suspect it's that the athletes aren't quite as good. IMO.
That's just a tough job.
They actually have quite a few kids this year but hardly any size at all. I don't think it matters who the coach is this year.
The millage they passed should have also included another high school in east end and thus, both would be like 3A or 4A and better suited to compete.

DuckyDon

losing to 2- 5A teams and a 4A team...think it will be really hard to turn around. Saw them this summer...and they are just not that good at any position.

jacketracket

Sheridan ran the Diamond T Offense.  That offense still works today, if your a coach that knows what he's doing.  That was a pretty tough conference back then.  White Hall played for a state title in 1987.  Malvern and Lake Hamilton both won state in the very early 90s, and both of those schools would send kids to the U of A that played.  I know people love to pass and that is great, but football is football.  Whatever your scheme is at whatever school your at if your coached very well it will work.  Cabot is a 7A school which runs the dead T offense and they played for a state championship 3 years ago.  I know the running offense offends a lot of people who want to see passes every down, but for several schools it works.  Every great coach has their own scheme whether it's running or passing.  Sheridan played in front of 9,000 fans and got beat by Arkadelphia which got team of the decade in the 1980s.  I think the best way to get Sheridan back to being competitive is to back the coach which I have heard they are doing.  Another thing is the kids that can help have to come out, and I hear a lot of them don't that could help the football team.  Whatever scheme the coach does the kids have to buy into it, and the fans need to support it.  Would like to see them competitive again.  The conference is very tough, but unfortunately I don't see that changing for a while.  Maybe new facilities will entice kids to want to come out!

GO JACKETS!!!

Danold Dump

Stop having batting practice during the real mans sport season..Dump out

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Danold Dump on October 18, 2017, 08:23:43 am
Stop having batting practice during the real mans sport season..Dump out

Ok Hillary.  smh

gameoflife

Sheridan is a tough place, not successful since Dawson left around 2000.  Before that not successful since Campbell about 40 years ago. You mention option football, lots of people run it because it doesn't require great players, the option gives them an advantage. Of course if you have great athletes it just gets better. Same in that respect to other offenses, like WingT which is what Absheir runs at Prairie Grove I believe.  The basic idea of option is not to have to block folks you cannot handle, read them and make them choose what to defend.  The Wing T is about power combined with finesse and angle blocks and double teams.  All good for smaller lineman.

AHS06

Quote from: gameoflife on October 19, 2017, 10:17:53 am
Sheridan is a tough place, not successful since Dawson left around 2000.  Before that not successful since Campbell about 40 years ago. You mention option football, lots of people run it because it doesn't require great players, the option gives them an advantage. Of course if you have great athletes it just gets better. Same in that respect to other offenses, like WingT which is what Absheir runs at Prairie Grove I believe.  The basic idea of option is not to have to block folks you cannot handle, read them and make them choose what to defend.  The Wing T is about power combined with finesse and angle blocks and double teams.  All good for smaller lineman.
So why is Sheridan not at most average in football?  Or getting beat by much smaller schools?

gameoflife

I hear its a combination of things within the school and community.  Here are some of the things I hear. Football doesn't seem to be a high priority among the kids, many athletes play a sport other than football but will not come out for football. The parents have been resistive to a strong training program, summers, weight room, discipline.  I'm not ceratin but its what I hear.  I think low expectations among the kids may be a factor, used to losing?

Reddie20

I am a Sheridan Alum and would love to see the program start winning again. When I was there we had one of the best seasons since the early 2000s and we went 6-5 and losing in the first round of the playoffs to West Memphis.  I am now coaching, we beat Sheridan earlier in the year, the numbers are definitely up this year but the skills are just not there yet.  Lance Parker is a great coach, I think he will do a great job there as long as the community stays behind him and he stays there to turn the program around instead of just a resume builder.  The kids haven't seen much success in football, they do have low expectation or don't even play at all. Love the school, community and the athletic program so I hope it gets turned around just not against my team! Good luck in the future!

South Central

Even though they might not play in a really strong Junior High conference. The last two jr high teams have been good. This sophomore class lost by a touchdown to PA in the championship and the freshman play in the championship this week. There are some good programs in their conference (PA, Sylvan, White hall, and Watson Chapel). I know this doesn't always translate to high school success but there is some hope.

gameoflife

They need to develop some mental and physical toughness before they are going to win. 

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Would someone from Sheridan please give us some smack talk?  We're dying over here!

gameoflife

I'm not sure the fans know they still play football.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: gameoflife on October 27, 2017, 01:10:53 pm
I'm not sure the fans know they still play football.

lol.  Awesome

gameoflife

Parker may have made a big career error in taking that job.

1reddieLB

1st post so be easy... But here's what I got. Year 1 is in the books for LP. Not sure it's went quite like anyone expected. Maybe bad, but not THIS bad. He does have more financial support and control over staff/operations than Campbell ever had, not even close. But It's not all bad. Bigger budget, new equipment, and the staff, JH and the HS are more coordinated than ever before. He's got an AD thats got his back all the way. He's changed staff, offense, defense, and offseason. Some have gone, been demoted, and the word is he's in the process of running off Campbells DC/S&C coach. A lot has happened in a year! So far, all the blame has fallen on the seniors, Sheridan culture, and left over staffers. Problem is, if LP stays around he will either win games or run out of people/things to blame. Good news for him is there are some built in wins in next years schedule, not to mention some really good classes coming up.

IAFLAR7

From a Benton perspective, I was at the game last week and I would say what they are trying to do on offense looks really good. They just flat out don't have the players right now. If you just looked at them and Benton side by side & im sure it looked like this in most of their games, there was no comparison in size and athleticism. Benton looks like a small college team compared to them.
Sheridan was never going to have a good year this year regardless. As bad as it has been the last few years I think the writing was on the wall for this year to be even worse.
Sheridan faithful have to give it time, maybe 2-3 more years & let this runs its course.
It will get better. Benton was in the same downturn about 5+ years ago & things have changed drastically since.

gameoflife

Not much offense and not much defense but then that's pretty much been Sheridan football for most of what anyone remembers in the last 20 years.  If it can be fixed it will take time.  Hopefully LP can right the ship but its an uphill climb.

Jethro

You have to trust the process. Sheridan is in need of a culture change. Things are off on the right foot when it comes to off the field things. Budget, equipment and coaching staff changes. Parker wasn't even there until February anyways. It takes time to establish relationships and direction. Rome was not built in a day and neither are football programs. We live in a culture that wants immediate results and it can't happen at every school. Get on board and help the coaches. Speak positive things and encourage the athletes. If the athletes never buy in then change will not come. If there is one thing I know about Coach Parker is that he is giving it all he has got and he hates losing. Stay patient Sheridan fans.

hogalum05

Quote from: 1reddieLB on November 08, 2017, 08:41:15 am
1st post so be easy... But here's what I got. Year 1 is in the books for LP. Not sure it's went quite like anyone expected. Maybe bad, but not THIS bad. He does have more financial support and control over staff/operations than Campbell ever had, not even close. But It's not all bad. Bigger budget, new equipment, and the staff, JH and the HS are more coordinated than ever before. He's got an AD thats got his back all the way. He's changed staff, offense, defense, and offseason. Some have gone, been demoted, and the word is he's in the process of running off Campbells DC/S&C coach. A lot has happened in a year! So far, all the blame has fallen on the seniors, Sheridan culture, and left over staffers. Problem is, if LP stays around he will either win games or run out of people/things to blame. Good news for him is there are some built in wins in next years schedule, not to mention some really good classes coming up.
This is all accurate from what I have heard. Could be wrong, but Just don't see him wanting to run off the D.C. Great guy and great coach from a coaching family... You guys are right, Unless there are serious problems you have to trust the process. Not there so don't have first hand knowledge but a head coach does have to have time to fix a program how he wants it. Unfortunate Campbell didn't get the support Parker is getting but for Jacket fans, at least the HC is getting it now.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas