• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"New" offensive scheme-The Wing T

Started by 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT, August 25, 2017, 10:56:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

I am seeing more coaches scrapping the heralded Spread offense that everybody jumped on in the early 2000's and going to a new/old offense....the Wing T or a version of it.  Everything cycles around. Opinions?

OB11

Probably more coaches realizing they don't have the athletes to run the spread effectively. The Wing T makes more sense for teams with less athletes. 3 yards and a cloud of dust can still get you in the end zone.

beach bum

I have been seeing it ran to perfection with my own eyes for two decades now and running....

OLDSCHOOL82

Wing T..we kept it when it wasn't cool to keep it!!

beach bum

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 25, 2017, 11:35:29 am
Wing T..we kept it when it wasn't cool to keep it!!

Lots and lots of games won during that time too....

BigLion10

Its hard to stop the Wing T when its ran to perfection

Lions84

Pappa Frank rode the Wing T to every one of his state titles at Barton.

When it is humming it nearly impossible to stop.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT on August 25, 2017, 10:56:29 am
I am seeing more coaches scrapping the heralded Spread offense that everybody jumped on in the early 2000's and going to a new/old offense....the Wing T or a version of it.  Everything cycles around. Opinions?

Who is running the wing-t that hasn't been running it in the past?

Big Fan

Quote from: fann07 on September 12, 2017, 08:48:35 am
Who is running the wing-t that hasn't been running it in the past?
CAC began running it this season.

beach bum

Run it against Nashville..... They can't ever stop it.

NWA Hawg

It's not working out to good for CAC so far.

Razorkev

West Memphis ran the wing T for years..was very successful..until they met the teams from the west.

tmycjy

September 17, 2017, 09:42:17 am #12 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:46:35 pm by tmycjy
I think it about your talent u have example Wynne

Won for year under different coach and different offense

Van paschal flexbone 3-0 right now

Chris Hill flexbone
13-1 state runner up
7-5. Quarter final
Spread offense
12-2 state runner up
9-3 quarter final
12-1 simi final
9-3 quarter finals

Ray Shimpert dimond T offense
5-5
5-5
3-8 1st round
2-8

Don Campbell diamond T offense

10-3 simi finals
9-3-1 simi FInals
12-2 state champion
9-3 quarter finals
10-2 Quarter finals
11-2-1 State champion
12-1 simi finals
12-1 simi Finals
9-3 quarter finals
8-4 quarter finals
9-1-1 1st round
8-3 1st round
6-5 1st round
7-5 quarter finals
6-5 1st round
9-3 quarters finals

Bill Riley power I offense

4-5
7-3 1st round
3-8 1st round
7-4-1 quarter finals
13-0 state Champion

~WPS~

Quote from: beach bum on September 15, 2017, 10:51:25 am
Run it against Nashville..... They can't ever stop it.
What happened in the 2015 4A championship game?

FBfan79

2009 3A Champs - Fountain Lake
Tommy Gilleran

NWA Hawg

The shift to me seems to be more to the flexbone.

x14113

...Which, incidentally, is related to the Wing-T, since either wingback can motion next to the fullback.

Waldron and Booneville both do this. Ozark did this in Ford's later years.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: x14113 on September 26, 2017, 02:17:57 pm
...Which, incidentally, is related to the Wing-T, since either wingback can motion next to the fullback.

Waldron and Booneville both do this. Ozark did this in Ford's later years.

Yes minus the Tight End in most cases.

Beaver Fever

You can't have a wing back without a TE.  If there's not a TE that position is called a slot.  Flexbone (double slot) scheme is way different the a wing t scheme.  Similar in formation totally different philosophy.

Lions84

The Diamond T was a great offense and the General at Wynne ran it to perfection.

GuvHog

That was the offense Lonnie Sutton ran at WC in the mid 90's. WC was state runner up  one year and won it all the next year. Even Monticello's famous "Blue Steel" defenses of the mid 90's couldn't stop it.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Beaver Fever on September 28, 2017, 10:11:10 am
You can't have a wing back without a TE.  If there's not a TE that position is called a slot.  Flexbone (double slot) scheme is way different the a wing t scheme.  Similar in formation totally different philosophy.

I wonder if local popularity of the Double Slot/Flexbone can be attributed in any way to Harding's longtime use of that system.  Lots of high school coaches that played at (or against) Harding?

Lions84

Quote from: 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT on August 25, 2017, 10:56:29 am

Call Pappa Frank down at Walnut Corner he a grand daddy with that system.

zebradynasty

Well the Wing-T also is easy to learn. Playbook not that thick and it can be ran with great athletes or not so great athletes. It's all about execution...so no different than any other offensive scheme.

friscokid

Does anybody in the state run the New Mexico triple option?

Lions84

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 07, 2017, 04:55:01 pm
Well the Wing-T also is easy to learn. Playbook not that thick and it can be ran with great athletes or not so great athletes. It's all about execution...so no different than any other offensive scheme.

WC with Lonnie Sutton who learned it from being with Pappa Frank at Barton back in mid 1970's .

gameoflife

Why did CAC go to the Wing T?  Is this Coach Shoemakers 1st stint as CAC football coach?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: gameoflife on December 15, 2017, 02:51:48 pm
Why did CAC go to the Wing T?  Is this Coach Shoemakers 1st stint as CAC football coach?

He's been there awhile

Lions84

The Throwback Offence down here in Texas is the Slot T.

footballfan-tastic

The spread offense has become the choice of so many schools that you don't see the variety of offensive schemes that you did at one time.  I know many people think that is the offensive you have to run nowadays but there are plenty of successful programs around that do something different.  The Wing T being just one of them. 

gameoflife

I think some believe that the spread helps get kids out to play and because it has the reputation of being wide open it helps get fans out to watch.  Maybe, but I think if you are loosing with the spread or any other offense you are going to loose kids and fans if you are not in a great school with great community support regardless of what you run.  At the same time, if you run the Wing T, Dead T, Double Wing, Wishbone, it doesn't matter if you are winning.  The kids who love ball will play and the fans will show up to see you win.  Think Booneville.  Even in the few down years they experience, they keep players and fans. 

Iknewthemwhen

You are corrrect about there being good numbers of winning teams that are Wing T teams.  A web search for Wing T teams will find some pretty quickly.  I have talked to coaches who will tell you that they were not a serious contender for a job because they didn't run the spread.  It's perception.  Some administrators are only looking for  spread guys.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 31, 2018, 04:14:16 pm
You are corrrect about there being good numbers of winning teams that are Wing T teams.  A web search for Wing T teams will find some pretty quickly.  I have talked to coaches who will tell you that they were not a serious contender for a job because they didn't run the spread.  It's perception.  Some administrators are only looking for  spread guys.

Some would rather lose with an exciting offense than possibly win titles with a boring old school attack....

gameoflife

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 31, 2018, 05:04:05 pm
Some would rather lose with an exciting offense than possibly win titles with a boring old school attack....

Now that makes sense.  I've seen some of those wingT teams on the internet, I don't  think they look that boring.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: gameoflife on January 31, 2018, 06:01:29 pm
Now that makes sense.  I've seen some of those wingT teams on the internet, I don't  think they look that boring.

Me either....But people hear anything that suggests an all run offense and they get upset these days haha

beach bum

I don't know about you all, but I make sure to watch one Navy game a year... I love watching that offense ran so clean. When that triple option they run it clicking and executing I love watching that.

footballfan-tastic

Some of those internet wing T teams can throw it as well as run it.  Matter of fact there is so much motion and pass going on it don't look like your daddy's wing T as they say.    Even in the TE, WB set they have a lot of receivers available.  I think most people just believe its an all run offense. 

Iknewthemwhen

It just isn't possible to throw the ball from the Wing T.   Oh my.

Jesusfreak

Quote from: OB11 on August 25, 2017, 11:00:29 am
Probably more coaches realizing they don't have the athletes to run the spread effectively. The Wing T makes more sense for teams with less athletes. 3 yards and a cloud of dust can still get you in the end zone.
Not to be argumentative, but if anything, the opposite is true. The spread is the simplest offense of all and the one offense that can be run effectively without tons of size or great athletes. Probably the main reason of the popularity of the scheme and explosion of teams that run it over the last 15 years or so is because it was/is the great equalizer in that it gives teams with less size, speed, and athletic ability the chance to at least be competitive with teams that are superior in the aforementioned attributes. Also, it is easy to implement in that the blocking schemes are simple, no complex QB read progressions, simple WR routes, etc.
Never been a huge fan of the spread personally because I believe in many ways it has cheapened the game, has made some offensive positions like FB and TE less common, has hampered the development of players from college to the NFL, etc. However, it is entertaining for fans, and I think it does maximize talent, although it has a lower ceiling than other offenses.

gameoflife

Your analysis seems to oversimplify reality.  The Spread isn't worth a darn without athletes.  To properly execute you need to be able to throw the ball, so you need a good QB and good receivers.  You also need good one on one pass blockers and since the run block scheme is simplified you need good one on one run blockers.  If the spread was the anwer to offensive woes then there wouldn't be as many losers running the spread.  It became the offense of fashion because of the good teams that have athletes that can execute and the coaches that touted it.  Been just as many that didn't work out for but you don't hear much about the teams that cannot win with it or any other offense.  Also if you are planning to run the ball there are better choices particularly if you don't have the passing game to keep the defense backed up off the LOS.  As far as simplicity, well any offense can be simple or complicated depending on what you put in.  The Wing T is very versatile if you use all of the options available and not just the buck and power approach. But this is true of most offenses.  How do you implement and create versatility. The spread looks good to the fans, so does any other offense if you are winning.
Losing teams don't impress no matter what. IMO.

Lions84

gameoflife

It does still win games, all over the country and does it with lesser talent in some cases.  The spread is flashy and people who don't know think its the answer to little talent.  Besides that's what the pros and many colleges run.  Colleges and pros get to recruit the best of the best talent out there.  They get guys that fit that system.  Of course Bama is a freak of nature, Saban is old school offense and playing great D and winning national titles. 

footballfan-tastic

You are correct, it does win games all over the country.  Still a great offense for high school teams that understand the versatility of the offense.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas