• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AAA question

Started by Pantherdaddy, May 29, 2017, 07:11:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pantherdaddy

I can't remember where I saw this but was the AAA going to set amount of activities on players to participate in this summer.  For instance, each kid can only participate in 8 team camps for fb and or 8 bb team camps, or 8 baseball games??

AT

Quote from: Pantherdaddy on May 29, 2017, 07:11:35 am
I can't remember where I saw this but was the AAA going to set amount of activities on players to participate in this summer.  For instance, each kid can only participate in 8 team camps for fb and or 8 bb team camps, or 8 baseball games??

I've heard something of the same effect, but haven't seen anything in print.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Pantherdaddy on May 29, 2017, 07:11:35 am

If it passes, it will be for next (2018) summer.  The proposal that will be voted on in August  limits an athlete to 8 "competitions" per sport in the summer.  A multi sport student now faces real burnout now as he might go to 10 7 on 7's, 2 or 3 team camps, practice 3-5 times a week, just for football.  Then, he goes to 10 or 11 basketball team camp/touneys, practices 3-5 times a week.  Oh wait, he may play 15 games with the baseball team before the dead period.  With the new regulation, this same kid would only be allowed 8 football things (not including practice) but combinations of team camps, 7 on 7's, 8 basketball team camps/tourneys, and 8 baseball games.

It's a great idea to help the multi-sport kid not burn completely out, which is happening way too much right now. 

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

8 baseball games seems extremely low. The amount of stress that a baseball game puts on a body vs the amount of a basketball or football team camp isn't even close.

gameoflife

Are they trying to regulate summer baseball?  Like teams that are not associated with the school?  I'm not sure they can regulate a kids "free time" not associated with a school activity. 

gameoflife

Also, is it competitions or events as in 8 total games, or 8 total 7-7 tourneys.  8 basketball games or 8 camps and tourneys?  Big difference.   

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

They can only regulate the "extended high school" baseball games a kid plays.  Can't regulate travel baseball, AAU basketball, individual camps, etc.

gameoflife

rzrbackfan

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on June 05, 2017, 10:53:13 pm
They can only regulate the "extended high school" baseball games a kid plays.  Can't regulate travel baseball, AAU basketball, individual camps, etc.

Exactly!!!  So really they are trying to stick their noses in where it doesn't belong.  Baseball and basketball players summers are full of AAU and travel ball not HS.  So what is the AAA think they are going to do.  If they think an athlete plays too much he will be ineligible for HS sports?

gameoflife

They could fix a lot of things if they went the route of Texas and had no contact with coaches in the summer.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: gameoflife on June 05, 2017, 07:41:34 pm
Also, is it competitions or events as in 8 total games, or 8 total 7-7 tourneys.  8 basketball games or 8 camps and tourneys?  Big difference.   
It is eight competition days per sport, and the days can be split. For instance, an athlete can go 3 days on junior varsity and 5 days on varsity. As far as teams, varsity can have eight days, but junior varsity could have their own 8 days, but the player can't do 8 on varsity and 8 on JV.

Wonderdog

What was the result of the voting on this matter?

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Wonderdog on October 27, 2017, 12:37:22 am
What was the result of the voting on this matter?
Passed by a 210-94 margin.

gameoflife

Eight days per sport can really add up.  It sounds ok for fb, basketball may have more problems, and there isn't much school baseball in the summer so no foul.

Wonderdog

These "events" are only limited to competitions right?

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Wonderdog on October 27, 2017, 03:57:39 pm
These "events" are only limited to competitions right?
That is correct. Teams can hold practices any day, except during the 2-week dead period.

Wonderdog

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on October 27, 2017, 04:16:55 pm
That is correct. Teams can hold practices any day, except during the 2-week dead period.
Thank ya sir! +1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas