• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The championship- PA vs Wynne

Started by PA Dad, November 28, 2014, 10:49:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PercussionMan

Oh, nevermind, you were talking about the 2006 semi final match with PA...I had forgotten all about that one.  I guess I didn't realize that Wynne lost back-to-back semi final games by one point each!

MDXPHD

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 03, 2014, 04:07:54 pm
I don't care what the final score is, as long as PA loses...I will never cheer for a private school...

Venny, it's too easy for you here.  These new PA posters get worked up quickly.

24tedmiller

I feel the same way about the Batesville ones...

MDXPHD

Quote from: 24tedmiller on December 03, 2014, 05:16:26 pm
I feel the same way about the Batesville ones...

Awh. That's cute. Batesville doesn't have very many new ones though. 

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 03, 2014, 05:07:51 pm
I don't care what the final score is, as long as PA loses...I will never cheer for a private school...

I asked why? Seems like a reasonable question.

24tedmiller

Just because PA has a weird system and it has been successful. Sorry it isn't the traditional down hill football y'all play in Batesville.

PA Dad

It hurt my feelings and ruined my day.

wing

He's just tired of getting his limit everyday with the Benton fans. Just trying a new spot I guess.

MDXPHD

Quote from: wing on December 03, 2014, 06:46:08 pm

He's just tired of getting his limit everyday with the Benton fans. Just trying a new spot I guess.

Lol, he will get bored quickly here.  He doesn't have to try as hard.

RawDog1

Just one more thought on Kelly's theory of no punting.  Odds are stacked against him.  It is sort of like Rusty Russell.  (For you not so football trival people, he is the father of the spread offense).  And we all know how that evolved.  If Kelly's theory is so good, wouldn't you think that it would blossom as well?  There isn't another coach around that coaches this style.  Why?  Because it is proven very ineffective.  By no means am I a coach nor want to be.  But I do understand the game well.  I'm just saying Kelly has left a lot of "W's" on the field due to this style or pride or whatever you call it.  He's a good coach, great coach, no.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 03, 2014, 04:13:23 pm
Why?
because I don't like private schools...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: wing on December 03, 2014, 06:46:08 pm

Benton fans...hmmmm, have no idea what you are talking about...

walkingguy72396

Punting is one of those plays that can go bad.  Returned for a big gain or score.  Blocked for a big loss or score.  Snapped over the punters head for a big loss or score. 

Best thing that can happen is the kicking team recovers a muff and or runs it in for a score.  Next you pin the opponent against their goal line.  Next the opponent has more chances to turn the ball over before they score.

Glad you all read this drivel.

So whats so chancey about not punting again?

#1jacketfan

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 03, 2014, 02:18:16 pm
Just got word from my contact in Wynne...Code name "Delta Razor"...and he said that Chris Hill and staff will be going back to the "Diamond T" for this game to confuse PA and the coaching staff...should be a dandy...

Wynne - 14
PA - 13
Now that is funny

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: #1jacketfan on December 03, 2014, 09:30:20 pm
Just got word from my contact in Wynne...Code name "Delta Razor"...and he said that Chris Hill and staff will be going back to the "Diamond T" for this game to confuse PA and the coaching staff...should be a dandy...

Wynne - 14
PA - 13
Now that is funny
lol...not if you are a PA fan...

MDXPHD

December 03, 2014, 09:36:20 pm #115 Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:37:56 pm by MDXPHD
Quote from: RawDog1 on December 03, 2014, 09:04:00 pm
Just one more thought on Kelly's theory of no punting.  Odds are stacked against him.  It is sort of like Rusty Russell.  (For you not so football trival people, he is the father of the spread offense).  And we all know how that evolved.  If Kelly's theory is so good, wouldn't you think that it would blossom as well?  There isn't another coach around that coaches this style.  Why?  Because it is proven very ineffective.  By no means am I a coach nor want to be.  But I do understand the game well.  I'm just saying Kelly has left a lot of "W's" on the field due to this style or pride or whatever you call it.  He's a good coach, great coach, no.

You're crazy if you don't think he is a great coach. He has lost 24 games in 12 years.  I wouldn't consider that a lot of W's being left on the field.  His style extends the game and gives him more plays and more offensive possessions than the other teams he plays, usually.  Has it lost him games? Sure.  Has the I-formation lost some coaches games? Yes. Coaches will all lose games at some point in their career because of their style of play, it's inevitable.  But for a coach to only lose 24 games in 12 years while winning 3 championships to not be considered great is just non-sense.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 03, 2014, 09:32:18 pm

Wynne - 14
PA - 13
Now that is funny
Not sure if this is an inside joke or not, but if wynne doesn't score in the 40s it will lose. Zero chance the PA offense is held under 30, and highly unlikely under 40.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 03, 2014, 09:44:25 pm

Wynne - 14
PA - 13
Now that is funny
Not sure if this is an inside joke or not, but if wynne doesn't score in the 40s it will lose. Zero chance the PA offense is held under 30, and highly unlikely under 40.
you must not know of the history of Wynne football and the great Don Campbell...

MDXPHD

Wynne - 14
PA - 13
Now that is funny

There is always a chance.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 03, 2014, 09:46:23 pm

Wynne - 14
PA - 13
Now that is funny
you must not know of the history of Wynne football and the great Don Campbell...
Know the name and know Wynne has a great history, but don't know the details.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 03, 2014, 09:36:20 pm

You're crazy if you don't think he is a great coach. He has lost 24 games in 12 years.  I wouldn't consider that a lot of W's being left on the field.  His style extends the game and gives him more plays and more offensive possessions than the other teams he plays, usually.  Has it lost him games? Sure.  Has the I-formation lost some coaches games? Yes. Coaches will all lose games at some point in their career because of their style of play, it's inevitable.  But for a coach to only lose 24 games in 12 years while winning 3 championships to not be considered great is just non-sense.

Well said MDX.  Kind of reminds me of Frank Broyles saying the spread would never work at the college level.

RawDog1

Exactly the point I'm trying to make red devil.  If this is such a great philosophy, why is t everyone else jumping on board.  If you are a PA fan, you should be a little defensive about your coach.  I jus think he is leaving a little on the table, as a matter of fact, I know he is.  But who am I to judge.  Good luck to PA and Wynne this week.  Just as long as the private schools do not try to slip in on the public education funding, I don't care if they punt on 2nd down.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 03, 2014, 10:16:06 pm

Well said MDX.  Kind of reminds me of Frank Broyles saying the spread would never work at the college level.

I don't think it's as unorthodox as the A-11 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-11_offense was. But it is pretty fun to watch. 

JustGoForIt114

December 04, 2014, 03:16:11 am #123 Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:36:17 am by JustGoForIt114
You put any other head coach and coaching staff on the field to coach PA, they wouldn't win 6 games.  Case closed. Coach Kelley is one of the best coaches to coach the game of football in the state of Arkansas, like it or not. And if you can't accept that, than your knowledge of the game of football is obviously surpassed by your ignorance.

HeberFan

Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 04, 2014, 03:16:11 am
You put any other head coach and coaching staff on the field to coach PA, they wouldn't win 6 games.  Case closed. Coach Kelley is one of the best coaches to coach the game of football in the state of Arkansas, like it or not. And if you can't accept that, than your knowledge of the game of football is obviously surpassed by your ignorance.

So you are saying the PA kids pretty much suck? Take the best five players off PA's team and they only win six games.

Top Shelf

Top Shelf

Lanny

Top Shelf

Deangelo Williams- 28
Whats a running back?- 49

Top Shelf

Top Shelf

Top Shelf

'Bones' Taylor- 28
Hunter Henry- 49

Top Shelf

Top Shelf

played together since kindergarten- 28
not so much- 49

hogrock

This is the most bipolar statement I've ever seen....first part is totally wrong & the 2nd part is totally right. Sarcasm on the first statement right?

Uncle Ivan

hogrock

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 04, 2014, 09:02:50 am
Thread got goofy quickly.

Sure did, with a bunch of uninformed/unknowledgeable comments.

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: RawDog1 on December 03, 2014, 10:24:35 pm

You dont't have to be a Dr. to put on a band aid. or a plumber to turn water on, or a coach to know that Kelly's system is screwed up.  Raw Dog, Im not a coach either but I smart enough to know that some of the stuff he does is crazy.  You are the only person on here that seems to agree with me.  I will make two predictions, and if im wrong, I will come back on here Mon and admit it.  Here it is.

Prediction#1
If PA wins, Kelly will have pulled away from his system some what.  He will have punted some, or put someone back to recieve a punt.  If he wants to win, he will not do what he has done all year.

Prediction #2
If Wynne wins, Kelly plays like he has played all year.  No punting and all on-side kicks.

Exactly the point I'm trying to make red devil.  If this is such a great philosophy, why is t everyone else jumping on board.  If you are a PA fan, you should be a little defensive about your coach.  I jus think he is leaving a little on the table, as a matter of fact, I know he is.  But who am I to judge.  Good luck to PA and Wynne this week.  Just as long as the private schools do not try to slip in on the public education funding, I don't care if they punt on 2nd down.

Top Shelf

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 04, 2014, 09:38:27 am
Quote from: RawDog1 on December 03, 2014, 10:24:35 pm

You dont't have to be a Dr. to put on a band aid. or a plumber to turn water on, or a coach to know that Kelly's system is screwed up.  Raw Dog, Im not a coach either but I smart enough to know that some of the stuff he does is crazy.  You are the only person on here that seems to agree with me.  I will make two predictions, and if im wrong, I will come back on here Mon and admit it.  Here it is.

Prediction#1
If PA wins, Kelly will have pulled away from his system some what.  He will have punted some, or put someone back to recieve a punt.  If he wants to win, he will not do what he has done all year.

Prediction #2
If Wynne wins, Kelly plays like he has played all year.  No punting and all on-side kicks.

they don't need it

Lions84

JustGoForIt114

Quote from: hogrock on December 04, 2014, 08:49:28 am

This is the most bipolar statement I've ever seen....first part is totally wrong & the 2nd part is totally right. Sarcasm on the first statement right?

You have given no explanation as to why the first statement is "totally wrong." Maybe I should clarify. There has never been a year where he has had more overall talent (speed, quickness, size) than his opponents. His scheme is why PA is so successful.  He is the BEST in the state when it comes to getting receivers open and getting the ball in the hands of his playmakers in space. I have been following PA football for quite some time and it seems 90% of the time they are outsized and less athletic than their opponents, but somehow find a way to win. 

I don't think he is getting the credit for what he does behind the scenes, rather he is being criticized for what everyone sees (no punting, going for it on fourth, etc.), which all seems to be working IMO.  All I am saying is that he is not blessed with the talent like MOST public schools are (here's where you can give the Hunter Henry and Broderick Green argument-ok that's over now), but he still finds a way every year to beat those teams. 

You're insane if you think PA has more size and speed than Batesville, West Helena, Greenwood, Alma, Cabot, or Fayetteville. All of whom he has beaten in the playoffs over the years.  Exception: Fayetteville- it was a pre-season scrimmage a few years back and FHS shut the scoreboard off at halftime because they were getting embarrassed on their own field. 

Not directed towards you, but I don't think I can handle reading posts that say PA "recruits" and offers "athletic scholarships" to players. There are many families who struggle to write the check each semester to send their kids to Pulaski Academy, but that's the sacrifice they make because they know their child will be prepared academically for what lies ahead of them as well as having a successful athletic career.

24tedmiller

I will say that when I saw PA play Batesville the other night they looked very small. At the same time when you QBs coming in like Knighten and Hefley, it does make things a little easier on you as a coach. That being said, there is some big time talent in public schools. I just think he has been blessed with smart and talented skill players. (which is all he needs in his system)

Mudboy870

I plan on attending this game. Keep the popcorn ready.

wynnefootballfan

December 04, 2014, 02:54:24 pm #143 Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:59:21 pm by wynnefootballfan
Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 04, 2014, 02:04:47 pm

You have given no explanation as to why the first statement is "totally wrong." Maybe I should clarify. There has never been a year where he has had more overall talent (speed, quickness, size) than his opponents. His scheme is why PA is so successful.  He is the BEST in the state when it comes to getting receivers open and getting the ball in the hands of his playmakers in space. I have been following PA football for quite some time and it seems 90% of the time they are outsized and less athletic than their opponents, but somehow find a way to win. 

I don't think he is getting the credit for what he does behind the scenes, rather he is being criticized for what everyone sees (no punting, going for it on fourth, etc.), which all seems to be working IMO.  All I am saying is that he is not blessed with the talent like MOST public schools are (here's where you can give the Hunter Henry and Broderick Green argument-ok that's over now), but he still finds a way every year to beat those teams. 

You're insane if you think PA has more size and speed than Batesville, West Helena, Greenwood, Alma, Cabot, or Fayetteville. All of whom he has beaten in the playoffs over the years.  Exception: Fayetteville- it was a pre-season scrimmage a few years back and FHS shut the scoreboard off at halftime because they were getting embarrassed on their own field. 

Not directed towards you, but I don't think I can handle reading posts that say PA "recruits" and offers "athletic scholarships" to players. There are many families who struggle to write the check each semester to send their kids to Pulaski Academy, but that's the sacrifice they make because they know their child will be prepared academically for what lies ahead of them as well as having a successful athletic career.

Theres a lot said in that statement about the behind the scenes. Of course the math is in his favor with his system. If you get 25 more snappes than the other team, your chances of winning fo up considerably. the biggest reason for this success "IMHO" is the players buying into the system 100%. They are completely commited to it. Watch them play, they seldome hesitate if ever. You can take a player 160 lbs running a 5.0 flat 40, if he plays without hesitation and with total confidence on every play he is gonna give you problems. All this being said, I think the game will be fairly even. Field possition and turnovers being the factor. As far as the score, who friggin knows..lol.. Go Jackets..

JustGoForIt114

Quote from: wynnefootballfan on December 04, 2014, 02:54:24 pm

Theres a lot said in that statement. Of course the math is in his favor with his system. If you get 25 more snappes than the other team, your chances of winning fo up considerably. the biggest reason for this success "IMHO" is the players buying into the system 100%. They are completely commited to it. Watch them play, they seldome hesitate if ever. You can take a player 160 lbs running a 5.0 flat 40, if he plays without hesitation and with total confidence on every play he is gonna give you problems. All this being said, I think the game will be fairly even. Field possition and turnovers being the factor. As far as the score, who friggin knows..lol.. Go Jackets..

I could not agree more with your post wynnefootballfan. Due to the lack of speed and all of those 5 flat 40's on the team, they have to take a different approach in order to give themselves a chance to win football games, and that's using their minds.  They're a smart group. The mindset is different for a PA quarterback than your traditional punt on 4th down quarterback. If it's 3rd and 7, he knows he doesn't need to get all 7 yards, he will gladly take the 5 yards, face the 4th and 2 and statistically 55% of the time will convert for the 1st down. Part of the psychology behind this scheme is that most defenses (99%) can stop their opponent on 3rd down leaving them with a 4th and 7 and know the other team is going to punt and they get to take break on the sidelines. As a defensive player, there is nothing more demoralizing than a team converting a 4th and 10+. Granted, PA's defense has to be ready to pick up the slack in the event they do not convert the 1st.

24tedmiller

It's all about skill players with PA. A good QB that doesn't make a lot of mistakes and smart skill players is the formula to why they win so many games. Think about it, how often does Arkansas use Hunter Henry compared to PA. He's a GREAT player, but this offense is a spread em out type offense and make good decisions with the ball.

JustGoForIt114

I'm willing to predict you do not know the game of football as well as Coach Kelley.  I guess his style is also "ineffective" because he doesn't return punts? Because not returning punts is just crazy! I mean who would not want to take the chance of fumbling the ball on a punt return when the other team is giving you a possession for HUGE 12 yard punt return gain. Man, he sure is crazy.

You want to root against the man for some mysterious reasons that I will never know in hopes that he will "fail" and lose a game or two.  He has a game plan, he sticks to it. It is not fair to your players to deviate away from a game plan that you have worked a whole week on because a couple plays didn't go your way. You're basically telling yourself and your players that all of the work put in over the course of the week was useless.

wynnefootballfan

Thanks justgoforit, though I'm sure they have plenty of guys better than 5.0 flat. lol.. Wynne's kids are the same way. They had 100% participation in summer drills, camps and workouts. All winners do the same things. These two teams are proof of that. With Wynne's speed on D" and there ability to score in all phases of the game and all mentioned above about P.A., This should be a really great well matched game. Worth the ticket price thats for sure.

JustGoForIt114

Quote from: 24tedmiller on December 04, 2014, 03:11:12 pm
It's all about skill players with PA. A good QB that doesn't make a lot of mistakes and smart skill players is the formula to why they win so many games. Think about it, how often does Arkansas use Hunter Henry compared to PA. He's a GREAT player, but this offense is a spread em out type offense and make good decisions with the ball.

But these QB's aren't just naturally born good quarterbacks. I hope people see the trend on what's happening each year. Thrash x2, Loucks, Keith, Nicks, Knighten, and now Hefley. Someone has to teach these guys how to play this position.

Uncle Ivan

Perhaps Malvern has been able to keep more of its talent at home.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas