• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maynard's Colton Watson

Started by pootnscoot, July 28, 2013, 02:44:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pootnscoot

Colton Watson is playing for Maynard this year which is being coached by his brother. Bay will not be a lock to go undefeated in conference. Watched Maynard at the Sloan Hendrix team camp. They have the potential to make a run at the State tournament.  Roark has competition as the best player in 1A.

Basketballfan13

Watson is just as talented as Roark...the difference between them is the mental game and Roark wins that battle. Maynard could beat about any 1A school on the right night but I wouldn't put them at the top til I see how they are doing around Christmas.

bscinar

Who did Maynard play at SH camp?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on July 28, 2013, 02:58:29 pm
Watson is just as talented as Roark...the difference between them is the mental game and Roark wins that battle. Maynard could beat about any 1A school on the right night but I wouldn't put them at the top til I see how they are doing around Christmas.

Hmmm...where did he play at last year?

ball4life

Real deal

Quote from: pootnscoot on July 28, 2013, 02:44:49 pm
Colton Watson is playing for Maynard this year which is being coached by his brother. Bay will not be a lock to go undefeated in conference. Watched Maynard at the Sloan Hendrix team camp. They have the potential to make a run at the State tournament.  Roark has competition as the best player in 1A.

Good to hear that bay might have competition in conference. However, you might want to make sure Watson is the best player in the conference before challenging Roark. Tyler Pritchett is the 2nd best player in class A with a bullet. Watson is good no doubt but I doubt Maynard played Brookland nettleton westside vv and Manila in two days. In those games Pritchett went for 35 plus and for 40 plus against nettleton all of which bay won except for Brookland who plays the best man defense I have seen in a while. And to clarify for another poster Maynard is 1a and in bays conference. If Maynard is descent and with the watsons I believe they will be, then you are right bay is not a lock to go undefeated, going to Maynard is never an easy task when they are good. Will be fun to see. Don't want to take anything away from Watson but I haven't seen him do the things I've seen Pritchett and Roark can do...yet.

Real deal

July 29, 2013, 12:08:19 am #6 Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:10:49 am by Real deal

Real deal

Quote from: HF on July 28, 2013, 09:03:02 pm

If the streets are clean and the women are foxy u can bet your sweet behind your not at HOXIE!!!

pootnscoot

I've been told that Pritchett has really elevated his game since last season. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to attend Bay's team camp. If Colton's brother can harness his talent, he has the ability to be a dominant 1A player. I also  believe Maynard will beat Bay sometime during the season probably at home.

J.D.

Quote from: Real deal on July 29, 2013, 12:12:54 am

If the streets are clean and the women are foxy u can bet your sweet behind your not at HOXIE!!!

Lol best thing I've read in a while.

Basketballfan13

Hey JD is here...now its a party! I thought he died or got a girlfriend or something ???

Will.I.Am.

Colton Watson, as previously mentioned, is just as talented as Roark. He may be a better pure shooter than Roark, but needs to develop a pull up jumper and midrange game. He lacks aggressiveness from what I've seen of him, and I've seen him numerous times the past 2 years.  I don't know anything about his brother, but older brothers tend to have a way of getting what they want/the best out of younger brothers. Good for the Watsons, and for Maynard; they're getting a very talented guard.

Will.I.Am.

bscinar, nice profile image man. Yellowjacket Pride! Except I'm from Mountain View

Real deal

Quote from: Will.I.Am. on July 29, 2013, 05:38:33 pm
Colton Watson, as previously mentioned, is just as talented as Roark. He may be a better pure shooter than Roark, but needs to develop a pull up jumper and midrange game. He lacks aggressiveness from what I've seen of him, and I've seen him numerous times the past 2 years.  I don't know anything about his brother, but older brothers tend to have a way of getting what they want/the best out of younger brothers. Good for the Watsons, and for Maynard; they're getting a very talented guard.

Good post here, may be just as talented maybe a great pure shooter but if he lacks aggressiveness, a mid range game, and pull up jumper he doesn't belong in same sentence with Roark or Pritchett. Their motors run wide open at all times and they can jump up over you and shoot the 3, jump up over you and shoot the mid range jumper, and attack and finish at the rim plus play D and rebound great for guards. It sounds like I'm knocking Watson, I'm not. He is a nice player but the above post really explains why comparing him to Pritchett let alone Roark is silly. Now if we were talking about Braden Watson, I agree he had all those things and he was a better player than Roark and Pritchett. Pritchett has 3 years still to get better which makes his standing more impressive. Fair warning to Maynard fans, if you do happen to play concord and Roark has seen this, he can prove a point in a hurry. If you really do have a contender, great but your tugging on supermans (Roark) cape. The boy has carried concord to 3 straight tournaments on his back. When Watson does that I will be more objective. Right now comparing a great shooter/floater (Watson) to a proven assassin (Roark) is a real stretch. Again, Braden was as good as anyone I have seen on offense in 20 yrs, if younger brother Morphs into him we have a real debate.

Will.I.Am.

How many years removed from playing high school ball is the older Watson? That name sounds familiar but I can't place him.

Real deal

Quote from: Will.I.Am. on July 29, 2013, 09:20:07 pm
How many years removed from playing high school ball is the older Watson? That name sounds familiar but I can't place him.

Probably graduated in 03 or 04. Boy could flat out score. Played on some good teams but played in conference when Melbourne was loaded then got moved to bic's conference. They were freaks on offense led by Watson but couldn't spell defense

pootnscoot

I'm not a Maynard fan but simply a basketball fan. My local school is 2A. I have followed Roark closely since his 2010 season. Tremendous player and competitor that I will travel to see several times this year. I just happen to believe that Colton's brother will elevate his game to the level where he will be mentioned with the elite players in 1A. He was All State in 3A and I doubt his performance will drop in 1A.

Real deal

Quote from: pootnscoot on July 30, 2013, 10:24:04 am
I'm not a Maynard fan but simply a basketball fan. My local school is 2A. I have followed Roark closely since his 2010 season. Tremendous player and competitor that I will travel to see several times this year. I just happen to believe that Colton's brother will elevate his game to the level where he will be mentioned with the elite players in 1A. He was All State in 3A and I doubt his performance will drop in 1A.

I agree, just seem to think there are a couple better right now, he may very well end up the best player in 1A but right now that spot is pretty secure.  I don't think he will drop, just believe its pretty safe to say Roark would be all state in 3A as well.  Who's your team in 2A?

Will.I.Am.

I think I need to clear up what I meant about Watson's lack of aggressiveness and needing to develop a midrange jumper.  Every shot i've ever seen him take was either a 3 or a layup. Most of the time he doesn't need midrange game.  But he does need to show more aggressiveness offensively, being more assertive to score.  Last year I felt at times he could've taken over more.

pootnscoot

The local school is Sloan Hendrix. The last few seasons has been difficult at best to watch. Therefore, I travel to a lot of various schools  mostly 1A which is my favorite classification.  I agree Roark would be selected to the All State team at the 3A classification. I believe a gap exist between Roark and the next tier of players. However, I think the gap is smaller than most believe.  I also think Strawberry has a lot of improving to do if they wish to duplicate last years success.

Real deal

Quote from: pootnscoot on July 30, 2013, 04:02:03 pm
The local school is Sloan Hendrix. The last few seasons has been difficult at best to watch. Therefore, I travel to a lot of various schools  mostly 1A which is my favorite classification.  I agree Roark would be selected to the All State team at the 3A classification. I believe a gap exist between Roark and the next tier of players. However, I think the gap is smaller than most believe.  I also think Strawberry has a lot of improving to do if they wish to duplicate last years success.

I see, by Strawberry if your meaning Hillcrest.  They have a great player returning but lost alot.  Andy does a great job, by the end of the season they will be tough, they always are.

pootnscoot

Correct. They were Strawberry in my day.

Head Lion

Quote from: J.D. on July 29, 2013, 12:13:14 pm

+infinity!!!!

Real deal

Quote from: Head Lion on July 30, 2013, 07:42:49 pm
Quote from: J.D. on July 29, 2013, 12:13:14 pm

+infinity!!!!

But my count hasn't even went up, I'm a little disappointed. Lol

Head Lion

Real Deal, I hope you have a great day. That was probably the best laugh I have had in a while. Thank you.

NWA Hawg

How was Maynard last year? As I remember it they weren't very good. I may be pretty hard for him to carry the team by himself.

pootnscoot

I didn't watch Maynard last year. They appeared to have a lot of potential at the Sloan Hendrix team camp in early July.

Basketballfan13

Maynard finished 6th in their conference last year. They looked like they had some potential on offense at times a lot of different scorers, but defense was pretty awful and they struggled to keep their composure when things went bad.

pootnscoot

Was Watson coaching last year? I have no idea of last season.

Basketballfan13

Colton Watson originally went to maynard and played there until his 9th grade year. His brother became the asst coach at Hoxie that year so Colton moved to Hoxie and played his 9th and 10th grade year there. His brother has now become the head coach at Maynard so Colton will be returning back.

Real deal

Quote from: Head Lion on July 31, 2013, 08:38:38 am
Real Deal, I hope you have a great day. That was probably the best laugh I have had in a while. Thank you.

Your very welcome!!  Hope your day was good also!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on July 31, 2013, 12:41:32 pm
Maynard finished 6th in their conference last year. They looked like they had some potential on offense at times a lot of different scorers, but defense was pretty awful and they struggled to keep their composure when things went bad.

Defense? Who needs Defense?

Real deal

I would still like to know who Maynard played this summer?  Did we ever find out?

BoxNOne

If I remember correctly,Bay has only lost one conference game since moving down to 1A.I know Bay lost a lot from last year but I would be very surprised if Maynard beats them even once.Watson is a very good player but is not gonna have much around him.If Pritchett has come on like it sounds like Bay and Concord will be the teams to beat in 1A.

Real deal

Quote from: BoxNOne on August 02, 2013, 03:47:37 pm
If I remember correctly,Bay has only lost one conference game since moving down to 1A.I know Bay lost a lot from last year but I would be very surprised if Maynard beats them even once.Watson is a very good player but is not gonna have much around him.If Pritchett has come on like it sounds like Bay and Concord will be the teams to beat in 1A.

I agree with you. If anyone does have a chance to beat bay in the league it might be Maynard but I doubt it

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BoxNOne on August 02, 2013, 03:47:37 pm

Guessing that was to Black Rock the year they both made the finals?

Basketballfan13

I'm going to call it early, if armorel doesn't kick any one off the team for poor behavior I'll pick them to pull an upset on Maynard or Bay once throughout conference play.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on August 03, 2013, 02:06:42 pm
I'm going to call it early, if armorel doesn't kick any one off the team for poor behavior I'll pick them to pull an upset on Maynard or Bay once throughout conference play.

That's...gutsy, judging by their recent lack of success?

J.D.

Quote from: Basketballfan13 on July 29, 2013, 02:44:55 pm
Hey JD is here...now its a party! I thought he died or got a girlfriend or something ???

It's offseason. Laying low. Still have been quietly busy watching everybody play team camps, and getting on to read people's posts. Season will be here before we know it.

Oh and there is a better chance that I've died  8)

J.D.

Quote from: fann07 on July 31, 2013, 09:03:34 am
How was Maynard last year? As I remember it they weren't very good. I may be pretty hard for him to carry the team by himself.

One player changes a lot of things. Especially in 1A.

Since Watson is being mentioned in the same breath as Jacob Roark then he should turn that team around quickly.  When Roark was in 9th Grade, (if memory serves correctly), he missed a lot of the first part of the season for Concord. Well Concord severely struggled during that time in just even finding a win. So bad that they lost to Lisa Academy on Homecoming night or something like that.

Enter Jacob Roark.

Beat a couple of Larry's and Manning on a really athletic Bradley team in the state tournament an gave soon to be state champs Bay a decent game.   

Now I'm not sure what kind of pieces Watson has to work with. Concord has Shooters on shooters that they surround Roark with.

blythevilleguy

Bay lost to Armorel the first year they dropped to 1A. That game was at Armorel and Bat won at home. As far as Armorel upsetting Bay this. I don't think so. Too many bad atitudes and I don't mean good.

BoxNOne

Quote from: blythevilleguy on August 04, 2013, 03:37:56 am

Bay lost to Armorel the first year they dropped to 1A. That game was at Armorel and Bat won at home. As far as Armorel upsetting Bay this. I don't think so. Too many bad atitudes and I don't mean good.
Thanks for that info BG.I had forgotten about Armorel beating Bay that first year in conference for Bay.That makes two conference losses in I think about seven years.Extremely impressive.

Basketballfan13

I agree with the attitudes. Last year they lost a few players early in the season for attitudes and behavior and this year it's looking like the same problems coming their way.

Real deal

Quote from: BoxNOne on August 04, 2013, 08:13:25 am

Thanks for that info BG.I had forgotten about Armorel beating Bay that first year in conference for Bay.That makes two conference losses in I think about seven years.Extremely impressive.

This is correct, 2 losses in 7 years in conference. Won or shared the conference championship every year. Won the district every year except 2011. 2 regional championships 2 state championships and another state finals appearance. The next 4 years I don't expect muchdifferent in the conference and district. Would be a little dissappointed if there isn't another ring or two to be won also. Armorel will not beat bay this year. Ill give Maynard a chance, but a slim one. However, if I'm wrong I will be the first to admit it. Outside of Maynard and armorel no one else works at all in the offseason. I'm biased but bay working on a 10 to 11 yr run of dominance in 1a. No ones program better, of course alot of that is due to the fact no one in class a save maybe concord has the type coach like the one at bay.

pootnscoot

At the Sloan Hendrix team, Maynard played: Pocahontas, Hillcrest, Sloan Hendrix, Tuckerman, Black Rock and Hoxie.  The Bay assistant coach from last season is now the head coach at Tuckerman. Bay fans ought to be able to ask him for a scouting report. I may be wrong but still believe Maynard will win a lot of games this year and make the state tournament.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Real deal on August 05, 2013, 09:12:43 pm

This is correct, 2 losses in 7 years in conference. Won or shared the conference championship every year. Won the district every year except 2011. 2 regional championships 2 state championships and another state finals appearance. The next 4 years I don't expect muchdifferent in the conference and district. Would be a little dissappointed if there isn't another ring or two to be won also. Armorel will not beat bay this year. Ill give Maynard a chance, but a slim one. However, if I'm wrong I will be the first to admit it. Outside of Maynard and armorel no one else works at all in the offseason. I'm biased but bay working on a 10 to 11 yr run of dominance in 1a. No ones program better, of course alot of that is due to the fact no one in class a save maybe concord has the type coach like the one at bay.

You mean best recruiter? :D

Rodgers at MVE is a pretty good coach...just not much to work with in Mount Vernon lately, Guess there to far away from Conway to work the "bedroom" community option...

Real deal

Im sure Coach Brannen has already did that, How did they do against Pocahontas, they are far and away the best team on that list.

Real deal

Quote from: HF on August 06, 2013, 06:01:04 pm
Quote from: Real deal on August 05, 2013, 09:12:43 pm

You mean best recruiter? :D

Rodgers at MVE is a pretty good coach...just not much to work with in Mount Vernon lately, Guess there to far away from Conway to work the "bedroom" community option...

No I meant best coach, his program recruits itself.  His personality is his weakest trait, not going to wow anyone by talking to them about coming to Bay trust me, he's not Bill Taylor on the public speaking/selling ice to eskimos level (well selling whatever he wants to BIC/Manila anyway).   On the other hand his win loss record and work ethic wows alot of people, if you want to argue that I'm sorry.  Winners draw attention, world we live in today, parents want their kids where people win.  Right now over the last 8 years in Craighead/Poinsett county area thats Bay and EPC.  No one in 1 thru 4A basketball winning more than those 2.  Rodgers is a great coach, when he starts winning, he will get runoff from Conway, but you have to win first.

J.D.

Conway run-offs have always went to Guy-Perkins.

pootnscoot

Still like the direction the Maynard team is heading. Playing as a team and with confidence.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas