• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-4A summer activity and season outlook.

Started by nuttinbuthogs, July 15, 2017, 07:44:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nuttinbuthogs

What's going on for the teams this summer and what is the forecast for the fall?

beach bum

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on July 15, 2017, 07:44:51 pm
What's going on for the teams this summer and what is the forecast for the fall?

Prairie Grove wins the 1-4A again..... The talent I think falls off a little after this senior class though in PG. They'll take it at least one more year. The TE they have along with the RB/FB combo plus the physical OL play will be too much for the rest of the 1-4A. A completely underrated position in Prairie Grove's offense is the tight end as they are pretty much a glorified tackle in that wing T offense that seals the edge on the sweep. The last two TE's Prairie Grove has had have been the best two in school history. This sounds crazy but the current one imo is better than the tall kid they had previously plus he is also a better D-lineman. Plus both backs run the ball extremely hard like you have to in the Wing T.

nuttinbuthogs

What about the other contenders and then the also rans?  PG, PR and Shiloh at the top again, then Gravette?  I figure the lower half will look about the same with Berryville, Lincoln, Huntsville and Gentry bringing up the rear. No particular order.

bilboswaggins

nuttinbuthogs

Lincoln folks are hoping for another playoff spot but I keep hearing good and bad reports.  I know they are supposed to get the fieldhouse and turf done but does that really help?  I hear the numbers are down a bunch in the high school. 

theoleballcoach

I'm glad Lincoln is putting in the money for their football program. I watch their social media account and I see the boys are working their tails off to get the grass off the field so turf can go down. I'm just  hoping that isn't the entire summer conditioning program. Don't see turf and field houses will make Lincoln better, but can it really hurt? More power to them.

cuckoobird

irrelevant conference, everyone should just drop football and concentrate on something they have a shot at winning the state title in like girls bowling

whippersnapper

In the minds of 15-17 year olds having the fieldhouse and turf will make it a lot easier to defend home. Little things like that can make a mental impact. BTW for the coaches not being replaced...Reed Mendoza will be the new OC/Backs coach and head JH coach, will also be assist baseball. He played QB for Coach Harrison at Mena in 2010. Irwin Starts will replace Cody Forga (Forga is joining Dorton), Starts will coach WRs and DBs along with Track a field. From my understanding, which could be wrong Bounds and Philpot will be just 7th grade.

beach bum

July 17, 2017, 04:25:47 pm #8 Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:28:06 pm by beach bum
Quote from: cuckoobird on July 17, 2017, 02:44:55 pm
irrelevant conference, everyone should just drop football and concentrate on something they have a shot at winning the state title in like girls bowling

Hey there.... You need to stick to east Arkansas things like shooting ducks from your porch and swatting mosquitos off you the size of birds. Also I predict you Ricebirds drop a game this year to Helena West Helena  ;D

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: whippersnapper on July 17, 2017, 03:09:06 pm
In the minds of 15-17 year olds having the fieldhouse and turf will make it a lot easier to defend home. Little things like that can make a mental impact. BTW for the coaches not being replaced...Reed Mendoza will be the new OC/Backs coach and head JH coach, will also be assist baseball. He played QB for Coach Harrison at Mena in 2010. Irwin Starts will replace Cody Forga (Forga is joining Dorton), Starts will coach WRs and DBs along with Track a field. From my understanding, which could be wrong Bounds and Philpot will be just 7th grade.

So Mendoza is the OC and backs, is Harrison coaching QB's? Starts is WR's and DB's.  Is Lewis going to coach? Who is Defensive coach? Didn't Forga coach linemen?  Bounds is just 7th grade, but also baseball?  Is Philpot the volunteer coach?  I think the new field and facilities will be an improvement badly needed, child labor?, but I don't think it will last if they don't start out winning.  Last I heard there were about 25-27 kids going to play.  Is this true? 

OLDSCHOOL82

^ Now that dude can ask a lot of questions.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on July 20, 2017, 11:59:05 am
^ Now that dude can ask a lot of questions.

I'm intrigued by the "child labor" question?

cuckoobird

I wondered why the football players were removing grass myself

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 20, 2017, 12:14:23 pm
I wondered why the football players were removing grass myself

Reckon they are driving the dozer or moto grader to scrape it off?

cuckoobird

Idk, maybe we should ask theoleballcoach. He's the one who said it

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on July 19, 2017, 11:50:09 pm
So Mendoza is the OC and backs, is Harrison coaching QB's? Starts is WR's and DB's.  Is Lewis going to coach? Who is Defensive coach? Didn't Forga coach linemen?  Bounds is just 7th grade, but also baseball?  Is Philpot the volunteer coach?  I think the new field and facilities will be an improvement badly needed, child labor?, but I don't think it will last if they don't start out winning.  Last I heard there were about 25-27 kids going to play.  Is this true? 
Is this a test?

RZback

I believe there has been a lot of question about coaches leaving and what would happen at Lincoln.

nuttinbuthogs

Yes, there has been questions about the coaches on staff at Lincoln, for just about every sport either boys or girls in the past year.  If you talk to folks you don't seem to get a straight answer, one thing one day another a week later.  The one thing that seems to be most in common is lack of faith in the direction of athletics. Like, we want this but the decision is made to do this. 

prHOG13

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on July 23, 2017, 05:55:15 pm
Yes, there has been questions about the coaches on staff at Lincoln, for just about every sport either boys or girls in the past year.  If you talk to folks you don't seem to get a straight answer, one thing one day another a week later.  The one thing that seems to be most in common is lack of faith in the direction of athletics. Like, we want this but the decision is made to do this.
Not sure if it's the issue or not, but the AD isn't exactly the easiest person to work with. Based on the constant turnover there, it's easy to assume that might be something that needs to be looked into.

nuttinbuthogs

July 24, 2017, 11:16:33 am #19 Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:38:12 pm by nuttinbuthogs
Quote from: prHOG13 on July 24, 2017, 08:24:22 am
Not sure if it's the issue or not, but the AD isn't exactly the easiest person to work with. Based on the constant turnover there, it's easy to assume that might be something that needs to be looked into.
[/quote)

Seems most people agree with you about AD.

SUGARTOWN

You know it's the offseason when both threads at the top of the board are discussing Lincoln.  :D

cuckoobird

nuttinbuthogs

sleepy, grumpy, bashful, doc, sneezy, happy, dopey, I guess take your pick. Dopey sounds logical. This would make an interesting poll. 

nuttinbuthogs

RZback

Quote from: prHOG13 on July 24, 2017, 08:24:22 am

Not sure if it is the issue but it is an issue.   Stinky?  Kinda funny, sure you are refering to "stinkin Lincoln". Even the locals repeat that,though not with great affection.

cuckoobird

That's what the 1-4a is known as, Shilo and the seven dwarfs.

whippersnapper

bilboswaggins

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 24, 2017, 05:13:17 pm

Nah $ is the 3rd best here.

Tigerdad2

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on July 24, 2017, 11:56:07 am
You know it's the offseason when both threads at the top of the board are discussing Lincoln.  :D
Don't ever forget tho, Lincoln beat Nashville.
Could you imagine Stuttgart losing to Lincoln

RZback

TD, yeah I can see Lincoln beating Stuttgart.  The same year Lincoln beat Nashville, and then Malvern, Stuttgart was 4-7. It was a banner year (11-2)for the Lincoln team but it happened. I don't expect to see another like it in the near future.

cuckoobird

Bilbo, they are the only team with a title

RZback

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 24, 2017, 08:28:32 pm
Bilbo, they are the only team with a title

How long since their last title, and was that4A?  SC is running about # 3 the past few years. PG pretty much is top of the heap.

cuckoobird

prHOG13

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 24, 2017, 09:55:34 pm
How long since PG or PR's last title?
It was around the same time you made it to home base with a girl

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: RZback on July 24, 2017, 09:37:55 pm
How long since their last title, and was that4A? 

2010, and yes, it was 4A.

nuttinbuthogs

With fall practice getting close I was wondering three things.  1. Are there any summer competitions, 7 on 7 or team camps left.  2. When do the teams in the 1-4A begin practicing?  3.  What early games on the schedule will be an indicator of how well the teams seasons will go?

dukes424

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 24, 2017, 05:13:17 pm
The only thing everyone remembers about Stuttgart is they are Hebers moron.

dukes424

Quote from: dukes424 on July 25, 2017, 11:15:11 am
The only thing everyone remembers about Stuttgart is they are Hebers moron.
Lol that was bit*h not moron

RZback

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 24, 2017, 09:55:34 pm
How long since PG or PR's last title?

Good point.  However, SC has been trailing PG and PR the last couple of years.  That may change over the next two.  I understand SC has a pretty good young group, PG may fall off a little bit, but I also hear PR has some young talent this year.

prHOG13

Quote from: RZback on July 25, 2017, 11:33:04 am
Good point.  However, SC has been trailing PG and PR the last couple of years.  That may change over the next two.  I understand SC has a pretty good young group, PG may fall off a little bit, but I also hear PR has some young talent this year.
SC's sophomore class is VERY good. We'll see how they grow though. Seems like a couple of them could be kids that peaked a little early, but for the most part they should contend for the conference next season and 2019.

Pea Ridge will drop off next season and fight for that 2-3 seed. Still a playoff team, but not a top 5 team in the state. They'll have to replace their QB, RB, top 2 WR's, 2 LB's, their best OL, and a couple in the secondary. The kids that are sophomores right now finished 2nd in the conference to Shiloh last year and were undefeated going into the finale against SC, so there's some talent there. I just think Shiloh has the edge until proven otherwise. PG will fall off a bit.

nuttinbuthogs

I am curious as to what people predict for the Lincoln Wolves?  Anybody have an opinion?

Tigerdad2

Best scenario Lincoln could go 5-5 winning 2 non conference and Berryville, Gentry, and Huntsville and a 5 seed. Odds are they will finish 3-7 with one conference win to Berryville

nuttinbuthogs

Wins, Westville, Keys, Mansfield, Berryville, Gentry, Huntsville.  Loses to SC, PG, PR, Gravette.  This is realistic.  I cannot see a win against the top 4 but the others should be wins.  Looking at the conference and the 3 non conference strenght, I see a 6-4 season as very doable.

SOUTHWESTPOWER49

Quote from: RZback on July 24, 2017, 07:33:36 pm
TD, yeah I can see Lincoln beating Stuttgart.  The same year Lincoln beat Nashville, and then Malvern, Stuttgart was 4-7. It was a banner year (11-2)for the Lincoln team but it happened. I don't expect to see another like it in the near future.
That Nashville win would've been impressive if they weren't 6-6 on the season but hey, a win against Nashville is a win for everybody lol.

nuttinbuthogs

When you consider that Lincoln doesn't have a great tradition in football, that they made it to the playoffs for one of the few times in school history, they defeated Malvern the following week and made it to the quarterfinals, I'd say on the whole as part of a great season it was very impressive. Oh, and Nashville was 6-5 and would have been 7-4 had they not lost to Lincoln.

nuttinbuthogs

One week in, how are teams looking in the 1-4A.  Any surprises, good or bad?  What about numbers?

Ole Legend

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on August 04, 2017, 01:12:44 pm
One week in, how are teams looking in the 1-4A.  Any surprises, good or bad?  What about numbers?

I think Pea Ridge had 71 guys this week.

SUGARTOWN

Why did the PG - Farmington game move to Tuesday the 29th?

beach bum

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 04, 2017, 02:45:05 pm
Why did the PG - Farmington game move to Tuesday the 29th?

Did it finally get moved to a Hootens Kickoff game? If so, then its about time. That would just be my guess.

cuckoobird

Why would farmington be in something that usually has elite teams? That would be like me saying the Stuttgart/Dewitt game should be a hootens game. Just because it's a rivalry doesn't mean it deserves that status. Play someone besides the school for the blind and PG might be considered

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas