• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Basketball 2016-2017

Started by WPWells, November 12, 2016, 09:49:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mack

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on March 15, 2017, 09:30:00 am
I support a kid from Arkansas. Just because he didn't go to your choice of school doesn't mean the people who support him are puppy fans. Do I root for Kentucky over U of A? No, I really couldn't care less. But it's ignorant for people to get on here and say he has no heart, doesn't play hard, isn't a team player, etc.

This would not be the conversation if he played for Arkansas. This is comical

Go ahead and be his fan.  He isn't a team player and he has no heart.  That had nothing to do with him coming to Arkansas or not.  You don't sit on the bench and laugh when you're
20 down.  You don't fold up like z cheap suit when you're in the biggest game of your high school career and Jerrod Barnes makes you his little... puppy.
Stay on his butt and buy his pro jersey if you want.  I hope he never steps foot in the state again. 

BannerMountainMan

Great day for a W for the Pigs!!! Let's gooo

OB11

March 17, 2017, 01:02:57 pm #602 Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:04:40 pm by OB11
Both teams playing sloppy in stretches so far.  Arkansas puts a few good possessions together and then forces 2 or 3 quick shots in a row.  Seton Hall is running their offense just not getting shots to fall.

Jacketman65

The more I watch, the more I wonder why Beard is ever on the floor!

Romeo

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on March 17, 2017, 02:52:05 pm
Academy Award goes to Barford.

The "call heard around the world"

God forbid if Arkansas finally gets a break...

dc24

Quote from: mack on March 17, 2017, 10:17:08 am
Go ahead and be his fan.  He isn't a team player and he has no heart.  That had nothing to do with him coming to Arkansas or not.  You don't sit on the bench and laugh when you're
20 down.  You don't fold up like z cheap suit when you're in the biggest game of your high school career and Jerrod Barnes makes you his little... puppy.
Stay on his butt and buy his pro jersey if you want.  I hope he never steps foot in the state again. 

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Romeo

Quote from: AirWarren on March 17, 2017, 02:55:05 pm
The "call heard around the world"

God forbid if Arkansas finally gets a break...

Hey, I'll take it. In my opinion, that's good coaching. That was a good sell by Barford and the refs fell for it. Sometimes its better to be lucky then good (i.e. Dardanelle 2014)

ricepig

Quote from: Romeo on March 17, 2017, 02:52:05 pm
Academy Award goes to Barford.

It was a flagrant and 1 if he doesn't fall down, you have to make an attempt on the ball, not a two hand shiver in the back, with a trip thrown in.

Romeo

Quote from: ricepig on March 17, 2017, 03:07:16 pm
It was a flagrant and 1 if he doesn't fall down, you have to make an attempt on the ball, not a two hand shiver in the back, with a trip thrown in.

After researching you appear to be correct. Barford still did a great job of selling it.

beach bum

We shall bow down to Kingsley.... What a game when everyone else but Barford didn't show up offensively.

bdubyab60

I few could somehow win this next one it could be a program changer. UNC is for real though.

mack

Quote from: dc24 on March 17, 2017, 02:56:51 pm
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Great meme.  You're obviously a deep thinker.  I like that.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on March 17, 2017, 03:04:23 pm
Hey, I'll take it. In my opinion, that's good coaching. That was a good sell by Barford and the refs fell for it. Sometimes its better to be lucky then good (i.e. Dardanelle 2014)

Oh yes. It was time for our break haha

AirWarren

Looks like we will have another date with North Carolina.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on March 17, 2017, 03:16:02 pm
We shall bow down to Kingsley.... What a game when everyone else but Barford didn't show up offensively.

Thomas, 6/9 5Rbs 13 points? Hannah's 14pts???

fbhound

Kingsley had a great game against Seton Hall BUT there was nobody really helping him with rebounds to keep us close in that category / stat. With NC being one of the top rebounders in the nation and averaging 85 points a game, they obviously put back a lot of those offensive boards and limit their opponents second shots.

Seton Hall had a rebound advantage over us of 46 to 32, 14 more boards. Something MUST be done to block out, crash the boards and make our shots to stop their defensive rebounds. If we shoot less than 50% from the field I think we will lose the game and we MUST get NC in foul trouble by driving the lanes and dishing off the ball if someone is open. No more 3 point shots from guys who should NOT be shooting them... Beard or Watkins. More driving the lanes from Beard and having a "plan" of action when he does. Watkins is needed inside more than outside. Cook must protect the ball... and on and on.

Guess what I am saying is that AR needs to play "TEAM" ball and have more energy from all players, including those on the bench who WILL see action.  Bottom line is (1) stay in the rebounding game and (2) shoot well and (3) play like it is your last game in college to our Seniors, energy and play smart basketball.

AirWarren

VHSCoach2

Put up a good fight, but went cold from the field at the worst time.

AirWarren

Let the refs influence the game. Gotta make shots when calls are blantantly one sided.

RATTLER43

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on March 19, 2017, 07:15:21 pm
Put up a good fight, but went cold from the field at the worst time.

Agreed.

bdubyab60

That want cold. That was a total lack of any offense in the last 3 minutes. Here let's just give the ball to one guy and not screen one.

Proud that we were there at the end but definitely one we let get away imo

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 19, 2017, 07:24:25 pm
That want cold. That was a total lack of any offense in the last 3 minutes. Here let's just give the ball to one guy and not screen one.

Proud that we were there at the end but definitely one we let get away imo

Yep, the refs missed a call, but we did nothing from 65-60, we just didn't have any offense at the end. The hole we dug early caused us to extend a lot of energy, it bit us at tea end. Nice season, but still disappointing at the end.

HorseFeathers

Facebook blowing up blaming the refs.....buuuut doesn't matter what the refs call when you basically stop playing offense with 4 minutes to go...

Before tonight, I hadnt watched a hogs basketball game since pelphreys was here....This game might have me interested in watching a few next season...

Romeo

Thank you Dusty, Manny and Moses.

AirWarren

Tough loss. But fun season. Mike needed this for the program. Got two solid classes coming in. I expect some fun years ahead.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on March 19, 2017, 07:29:37 pm
Yep, the refs missed a call, but we did nothing from 65-60, we just didn't have any offense at the end. The hole we dug early caused us to extend a lot of energy, it bit us at tea end. Nice season, but still disappointing at the end.
Yeah that probably should have been a charge. But yeah 4 minutes without a bucket spelled doom. 3 or 4 chances to extend the lead. Just one basket makes a huge difference in a game like this

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 19, 2017, 07:35:18 pm
Yeah that probably should have been a charge. But yeah 4 minutes without a bucket spelled doom. 3 or 4 chances to extend the lead. Just one basket makes a huge difference in a game like this

Gotta have that killer instinct to slash and hope to draw contact. Most of the top teams, have that. Tough loss that sucks when we were in position to play in Memphis and be in the sweet 16.

Romeo

Just hope this season helps fuel more interest in the basketball program.

bdubyab60

Quote from: AirWarren on March 19, 2017, 07:40:03 pm
Gotta have that killer instinct to slash and hope to draw contact. Most of the top teams, have that. Tough loss that sucks when we were in position to play in Memphis and be in the sweet 16.
Yeah would have been nice. Hopefully the way we finished the season has some carry over to next season. Would have been nice to buy some UNC fans tickets to watch us play in Memphis

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 19, 2017, 07:47:46 pm
Yeah would have been nice. Hopefully the way we finished the season has some carry over to next season. Would have been nice to buy some UNC fans tickets to watch us play in Memphis

Yeah, a business partner of mine has a suite at FedEx, not our business, lol. I had the phone ready to request 2 seats on speed dial...

beach bum

March 24, 2017, 05:54:01 pm #632 Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:17:03 pm by beach bum
The #1 recruit in the nation, Michael Porter has just committed to Missouri for the coming 2017-2018 season. He was committed to Washington where his dad was an assistant coach, but when Romar got fired at Washington the assistants were given the boot too like usual. His dad has connections to Counzo Martin who just hired at Missouri from Cal and formally at Tennessee. This won't make Mizzou a top dog in the SEC, but you could certainly see them go from bottom to the 4th-6th spot if they get another piece in. The SEC next year IMO could end up with 7 or 8 NCAA tourney teams if the conference reaches its potential in non conference play. I would love to see the league get to the point where a 10-8 conference record pretty much locks you in the NCAA tournament. Florida, Vandy, UK, and us will be good again. Even losing Thornwell, South Carolina will be decent as long as Frank Martin is strolling that sideline. Then Auburn, Miss State were  freshmen heavy. Throw in Bama with a top level recruiting class plus their stellar defense and Mizzou now too. Also, that big guy for Ole Miss is back. Like I said I would love to see the SEC get 7 or 8 bids next year which is not impossible. That would be the ceiling, but is possible. The Hogs will have to bring it to a different level next year to maintain a top 3 spot in the league.

mtindian42

Quote from: beach bum on March 24, 2017, 05:54:01 pm
The #1 recruit in the nation, Michael Porter has just committed to Missouri for the coming 2017-2018 season. He was committed to Washington where his dad was an assistant coach, but when Romar got fired at Washington the assistants were given the boot too like usual. His dad has connections to Counzo Martin who just hired at Missouri from Cal and formally at Tennessee. This won't make Mizzou a top dog in the SEC, but you could certainly see them go from bottom to the 4th-6th spot if they get another piece in. The SEC next year IMO could end up with 7 or 8 NCAA tourney teams if the conference reaches its potential in non conference play. I would love to see the league get to the point where a 10-8 conference record pretty much locks you in the NCAA tournament. Florida, Vandy, UK, and us will be good again. Even losing Thornwell, South Carolina will be decent as long as Frank Martin is strolling that sideline. Then Auburn, Miss State were  freshmen heavy. Throw in Bama with a top level recruiting class plus their stellar defense and Mizzou now too. Also, that big guy for Ole Miss is back. Like I said I would love to see the SEC get 7 or 8 bids next year which is not impossible. That would be the ceiling, but is possible. The Hogs will have to bring it to a different level next year to maintain a top 3 spot in the league.
porter Jr grew up in Boone county in Missouri. He is back home now! And man can he ball... Missouri just became a force...

AirWarren

Tough to see an elite 8 team with two central Arkansas boys in their starting lineup(Conway and Little Rock).

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on March 26, 2017, 01:21:38 pm
Tough to see an elite 8 team with two central Arkansas boys in their starting lineup(Conway and Little Rock).

Don't even remember the Leon kid in high school.......

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on March 26, 2017, 01:41:52 pm
Don't even remember the Leon kid in high school.......

I don't either.

Oldref

Quote from: AirWarren on March 26, 2017, 03:19:26 pm
I don't either.
I didn't even know he was from Arkansas until they did the starting lineup today and heard them say he was from Conway. I am rooting for UNC to finish the final four out. Just cant root for Kentucky coach. Should be a good one.

BannerMountainMan

Man how bout the Hogs picking up the true PG Jalen Harris.gomna be a stud but has to sit out a year since he transferred from New Mexico

AirWarren

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on May 02, 2017, 11:35:21 pm
Man how bout the Hogs picking up the true PG Jalen Harris.gomna be a stud but has to sit out a year since he transferred from New Mexico

I like it. Hate it he has to sit out.

BannerMountainMan

What a great day to be alive! Barford and Macon coming back to send us to the ship

AirWarren

Welcome home Macon and Barford.

I expect and great year ahead.

beach bum

SEC basketball as a whole is going to be so fun to watch next season. We likely could be better and not win as many games as we did at our 12-6 SEC record. Auburn was so young & Mizzou will instantly improve to middle of the pack or maybe slightly better. Alabama plays great defense and had two McDonalds All Americans sign. South Carolina loses a ton but what a coach and defense they will always have. Florida not only probably wins the league but could win it all too. Kentucky is well Kentucky. Vanderbilt will likely be a tourney team again. If Barford gets a little better outside shot he will be beyond scary on offense plus I think we see a few more streaky hot 25-30 point performances from Macon. I love his demeanor and the look he has when we lose. You can tell he hates to lose and I know that has to drive him. Barford has a little bit of hot head moments but when he channels that fire it shows positively.

beach bum

I came across how they released the SEC basketball 18 game schedule just last week for all 14 teams next year..... We actually drew quite a big break because we only play Florida and Kentucky once each next year. The 5 teams we are slotted to play twice are all actually very winnable teams and most of these five should finish toward the bottom of the SEC. We play Auburn, LSU, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss all in a home and home. Then we get Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt just once at HOME..... The four other teams left are only one ROAD game against Florida, Mississippi State, Georgia, and Alabama. Considering, the SEC is only getting better we could not have asked for a better draw as far as who we get twice and some tougher games at home. This will help considering our non conference scheduled is beefed up and quite tough. At first I was trying to damper my expectations a little thinking we may be better or about the same, but couldn't win as many games simply due to a very tough strength of schedule. Now I am expecting about the same amount of wins or it would be a little bit of a let down. Seeing this schedule got me even more excited looking at next season since we know the football Hogs are going to have a tough go at it.

WPWells

smallybells

I know it's really, really early, but Arkansas currently holds the No.1 spot for the 2018 recruiting class. At least we can say we were there at one time!

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

Proud Buckaroo

Hopefully Perry becoming a 5 star.... We can still keep him. There is about to be a lot more teams coming after him.

AirWarren

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 16, 2017, 09:57:44 pm
Hopefully Perry becoming a 5 star.... We can still keep him. There is about to be a lot more teams coming after him.

He is officially gone.

Time to move on.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on July 06, 2017, 09:18:49 am
He is officially gone.

Time to move on.

Exactly, I honestly don't want one and dones here. He is that good. I knew we wouldn't keep him once the big dogs came calling. I want guys that will be here at least 2 years. The rest of that signing class is good enough this won't absolutely set us back a year like when dumbo Qualls decided to leave.

WPWells

Here's a question: who's the best coach on the U of A campus? Depending on how the discussion goes, I may make a new thread for this.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas