• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Travel Chat

Started by beach bum, August 21, 2015, 09:09:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on March 25, 2017, 04:33:23 pm
Yeah, I've flown them a few times, just an airline, haha.

Great.... Flying out of XNA to Orlando and back is so cheap so I may go that route if I keep getting positive input.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on March 25, 2017, 05:41:21 pm
Great.... Flying out of XNA to Orlando and back is so cheap so I may go that route if I keep getting positive input.

I've flown them out of Memphis to Orlando, and I'm here to tell about it, haha. Although, I think you have to pay to take a leak......

Brian G

beach bum

Quote from: ricepig on March 25, 2017, 08:15:53 pm
I've flown them out of Memphis to Orlando, and I'm here to tell about it, haha. Although, I think you have to pay to take a leak......

I figured they probably did charge you an arm and leg for anything extra on the plane since they even charge for the standard carry on.

beach bum

beach bum

Quote from: beach bum on February 24, 2017, 08:24:44 pm
So it is official.... Iceland here I come on May 28th. I am road tripping to Boston and flying from there. A buddy lives up there and I got an insanely cheap ticket out of Boston to Iceland. In early June I will be seeing 21 hours of sunlight a day in Iceland. That will mess with the perception of time for sure.

May keeps getting better..... Costa Rica May 3rd-9th here I come! Just 3 weeks of work then I am off again! This opportunity just came out of left field and I am running with it obviously.

Brian G

United might have a seat for you Bum.

beach bum

Just about to board the plane for Costa Rica... my screen name will be reality for 6 days.

beach bum

May 17, 2017, 10:19:00 pm #208 Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:31:49 pm by beach bum
Just a few from Costa Rica..... I recommend it to everyone. We had Spanish speakers in our group, but you can get by speaking zero Spanish because it is so set up for tourists and I could not believe how much of their population spoke some English too and would start talking to us when they heard us speaking English. This was even the times we got away from the so called "touristy spots" too.

RATTLER43

Beautiful.     I'm getting an itch to plan another trip.....

Lumberjackfan1978

That looks like a beautiful place Bum I know you are enjoying yourself

WPWells

In a sense this is travel, but I am no longer an Arkansas resident, so that's kinda fun.

Lumberjackfan1978

Just got in last night from a short trip from Pensacola most people I've ever seen there.

beach bum

I have been in Iceland for the last two days.... if you can handle it 45 degrees and raining this time of year it brings unbelievable views here I will never see anywhere else. It never got completely dark last night so it has been hard to sleep much.

beach bum

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on May 28, 2017, 10:11:37 am
Just got in last night from a short trip from Pensacola most people I've ever seen there.

I flew out of Boston to Iceland so I was at Cape Cod over the Memorial Day weekend so I imagine you saw the heavy beach traffic over the weekend too at Pensacola! I bet you at least got to enjoy the water. It's too cold up there and the people are rude up in the northeast.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: beach bum on May 30, 2017, 04:02:10 pm
I have been in Iceland for the last two days.... if you can handle it 45 degrees and raining this time of year it brings unbelievable views here I will never see anywhere else. It never got completely dark last night so it has been hard to sleep much.
I bet Iceland is a beautiful place.I do bet it never getting completely dark makes it difficult to sleep much though

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: beach bum on May 30, 2017, 04:04:23 pm
I flew out of Boston to Iceland so I was at Cape Cod over the Memorial Day weekend so I imagine you saw the heavy beach traffic over the weekend too at Pensacola! I bet you at least got to enjoy the water. It's too cold up there and the people are rude up in the northeast.
yea we really enjoyed the water it was really nice even though it was a short stay.

beach bum

June 06, 2017, 10:01:57 pm #217 Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:07:06 pm by beach bum
I am back from Iceland and it was even greater than expected.... What great people there and stunning nature. The bottom picture is when we flew over the ice sheet over Greenland as it transitioned to the coastal mountains as we came home. It took my breath away.

beach bum

June 06, 2017, 10:11:50 pm #218 Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:13:37 pm by beach bum
Some more of the Cape Cod area in Massachusetts and NY City.... I flew out of northeast so I spent some time there too.....

Lions84

With a kid home attending Summer College and it's expenses. We are just day tripping .

beach bum

Quote from: Lions84 on June 08, 2017, 08:24:02 pm
With a kid home attending Summer College and it's expenses. We are just day tripping .

I know parents always enjoy having their kids home once they leave the home for college.... Hope you enjoy the summer time together. I never thought I'd say this, but after sleeping in my own bed at my house only 5 times in the last 6 weeks between traveling and my job that is away from home I am so happy to be back. I never thought I would say it, but I am burnt out.

Lumberjackfan1978

Just got in from ten days at Fort Pickens and Destin

beach bum

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on July 15, 2017, 10:04:27 pm
Just got in from ten days at Fort Pickens and Destin

Absolutely beautiful places.... The panhandle beaches in Florida along with Alabama are tough to beat.

AirWarren

August 06, 2017, 11:42:17 am #223 Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:44:30 am by AirWarren
Orange beach. 86 degrees. Absolutely great setting for family, cold beer, and the ocean.

Can't believe it's August in the Deep South with these temps.

The water is PERFECT.

Watching the wife and daughter play in the ocean is well worth the years wait and long hours at work.

beach bum

Hope there is some sun down on the Gulf.... Rain here in Arkansas and even a tornado in Tulsa. I think Orange Beach/Foley/Gulf Shores is better than Pensacola for families even imo too.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on August 06, 2017, 02:46:27 pm
Hope there is some sun down on the Gulf.... Rain here in Arkansas and even a tornado in Tulsa. I think Orange Beach/Foley/Gulf Shores is better than Pensacola for families even imo too.

Sitting out here. Cool breeze. Sunny. 86 degrees.

It's unbelievable.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: AirWarren on August 06, 2017, 11:42:17 am
Orange beach. 86 degrees. Absolutely great setting for family, cold beer, and the ocean.

Can't believe it's August in the Deep South with these temps.

The water is PERFECT.

Watching the wife and daughter play in the ocean is well worth the years wait and long hours at work.
Enjoy

WPWells

I spent 16 days traveling to the northeast. Saw 21 national park sites, 9 state capitols, and 6 baseball games (Pawtucket Red Sox, Boston Red Sox, Hyannis Harbor Hawks of the Cape Cod League, Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers, and Evansville Otters of the Frontier League).

RATTLER43

Sounds like you had a great time.  I did a 16-day northeast with wife and kids a few years back.  No ball games but parks and such.  Was awesome.  Hope to go back.  Which parks did you visit?

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on August 10, 2017, 12:29:42 am
I spent 16 days traveling to the northeast. Saw 21 national park sites, 9 state capitols, and 6 baseball games (Pawtucket Red Sox, Boston Red Sox, Hyannis Harbor Hawks of the Cape Cod League, Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers, and Evansville Otters of the Frontier League).

I enjoyed following your picture updates online and the almost same route you took as me on my trip 2 months prior.... Great family you have. Cape Cod is amazing up there. Hope you got plenty of chowder, clams, and more of the typical northeast cuisine like I did too along with everything else you did.

beach bum

Quote from: RATTLER43 on August 10, 2017, 08:54:53 am
Sounds like you had a great time.  I did a 16-day northeast with wife and kids a few years back.  No ball games but parks and such.  Was awesome.  Hope to go back.  Which parks did you visit?

My favorite part of the northeast I saw in late May/early June was the Delaware Gap Recreational Area where PA, NJ, and upstate NY all come together. If I lived on the east coast megalopolis ever I could see myself using that place as a weekend getaway from the city all the time. My buddy in Boston also just goes up to VT, NH, or ME to get away from the city on the weekends all the time.

RATTLER43

Agreed.  Also, parts north and west of New York city are spectacular.  The parks were awesome. My family loved coastal beaches as well (kids' favorites up there were in Maine and Connecticut).

RATTLER43

I cannot get my pics to load.  Kids had a blast collecting various creatures from the waters in beaches in Maine (we threw everything back!).  Crabbing was a blast.   Water was a bit colder than we were used to but we adjusted fine (just played in knee deep instead of swimming). My wife enjoyed the lighthouses and some intense rocky coastlines plus the homes on the beaches were absolutely spectacular.

beach bum

Quote from: RATTLER43 on August 11, 2017, 09:39:17 am
I cannot get my pics to load.  Kids had a blast collecting various creatures from the waters in beaches in Maine (we threw everything back!).  Crabbing was a blast.   Water was a bit colder than we were used to but we adjusted fine (just played in knee deep instead of swimming). My wife enjoyed the lighthouses and some intense rocky coastlines plus the homes on the beaches were absolutely spectacular.

I was the same with the water on the Cape... It was only early June so it was still freezing. I knew I wouldn't see the ocean for a while so I got in anyway knowing it may be forever until I see the ocean again. And yes some of those light houses in the northeast are stunning with the scenario around.

RATTLER43

August 11, 2017, 04:42:41 pm #234 Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:45:02 am by RATTLER43
Thinking about it makes me want to go back.

AirWarren

Had a wonderful time at the coast. Great weather. Water temp was perfect.

Ended on a sad note though. Last night, two brothers ages 12 and 19 were lost in the current.  Third child was found safe but the orange Beach PD, fire/rescue and other agencies including the coast guard out of New Orleans were called in to search. They went missing around 730 right after they checked in from Baton Rouge around 5pm. The helecopters flew over the ocean until about 130am while we were on the deck. Sonar etc. This morning they recovered the body of the 12 year old east of where they went missing and the coast guard dive team located the 19 year old near the same area on the ocean floor. Absolute tragedy. My heart hurt for the family. You cannot take the surf for granted. It was high risk tides yesterday. I made my daughter and dad get out because of it.

Prayers to the family.

Lions84

Quote from: beach bum on May 17, 2017, 10:19:00 pm
Just a few from Costa Rica..... I recommend it to everyone. We had Spanish speakers in our group, but you can get by speaking zero Spanish because it is so set up for tourists and I could not believe how much of their population spoke some English too and would start talking to us when they heard us speaking English. This was even the times we got away from the so called "touristy spots" too.

It also becoming a hot retirement spot along with Belize !

Lions84

Quote from: AirWarren on August 12, 2017, 04:29:22 pm
Had a wonderful time at the coast. Great weather. Water temp was perfect.

Ended on a sad note though. Last night, two brothers ages 12 and 19 were lost in the current.  Third child was found safe but the orange Beach PD, fire/rescue and other agencies including the coast guard out of New Orleans were called in to search. They went missing around 730 right after they checked in from Baton Rouge around 5pm. The helecopters flew over the ocean until about 130am while we were on the deck. Sonar etc. This morning they recovered the body of the 12 year old east of where they went missing and the coast guard dive team located the 19 year old near the same area on the ocean floor. Absolute tragedy. My heart hurt for the family. You cannot take the surf for granted. It was high risk tides yesterday. I made my daughter and dad get out because of it.

Prayers to the family.

Prayers sent that just horrible.

beach bum

I just booked a flight to be spending Christmas on..... Miami Beach. I have been to every where in Florida except far South Florida. I have been to Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando but needed to get Miami of the list. The water at Miami Beach looks to be just warm enough in the winter to enjoy it.

sevenof400

Quote from: beach bum on October 31, 2017, 11:32:13 am
I just booked a flight to be spending Christmas on..... Miami Beach. I have been to every where in Florida except far South Florida. I have been to Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando but needed to get Miami of the list. The water at Miami Beach looks to be just warm enough in the winter to enjoy it.

Speaking of Miami, I hate the heat and humidity but a few years ago we had the opportunity to visit Miami in July and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the climate there.  Yes, it was hot but the ocean breezes made things tolerable.  I know you're visiting in December and weather won't be a problem, but I did want to tell you the beaches were pretty nice all along the coast.  There was a bit of seaweed rolling in but it wasn't too bad and the sand extended pretty far out so a person could wade out a good bit if they wanted to.  We went with kids last time so we did a lot of things revolving around them, but I would look forward to a return trip to Miami to see more adult-oriented things. 

beach bum

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 31, 2017, 01:28:58 pm
Speaking of Miami, I hate the heat and humidity but a few years ago we had the opportunity to visit Miami in July and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the climate there.  Yes, it was hot but the ocean breezes made things tolerable.  I know you're visiting in December and weather won't be a problem, but I did want to tell you the beaches were pretty nice all along the coast.  There was a bit of seaweed rolling in but it wasn't too bad and the sand extended pretty far out so a person could wade out a good bit if they wanted to.  We went with kids last time so we did a lot of things revolving around them, but I would look forward to a return trip to Miami to see more adult-oriented things.

Thank you for the info cause I have only been to the gulf side beaches in Florida when on the panhandle and in Saint Pete and not the Atlantic side beaches. I am pretty excited to see their beaches and the cruise down Hwy 1 through some of the Keys a little bit.

Lions84

Looks like we are heading back to enchanted rock down outside of Fredricksburg during the holidays.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/enchanted-rock

beach bum

Headed to the airport... Traveled a lot, but never during Christmas time so we will see how things go in there.....

sevenof400

Safe travels, Beach Bum.

RATTLER43

beach bum

December 27, 2017, 01:13:20 pm #245 Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:22:55 pm by beach bum
    Might have some pics up in the next day or two as I just got back now and hope all of you had safe travels for those who were and still are on the road driving right now traveling.... I do have to say I know most of you have all probably been to Florida in the summer time, but I suggest a winter time trip as well. The best part of my trip was canoeing the Saint John's river north of Orlando because virtually crystal clear water springs branch off of the river and that is where the highest concentration of manatees are and they are more prominent in the winter when they hover near the surface all day unlike when they stay along river floor beds in the summer to stay cool. We got to see manatees up and close. They literally will follow you to the point where they use your canoe as a belly scratcher and want your attention. You aren't supposed to touch them, but those manatees would chase you down and want human attention.
     Also, I have to say I was expecting a bad experience from Allegiant Air from the stories I have heard, but the flight there and back left on time if not a few minutes early. They really were well planned everywhere for the holiday travel.
     As for the water on the beaches, it was not bad at all and nearly 75 degrees once you got down into the south Florida area. There were a lot of travelers from England there all joking with us that the water was warmer than in the summer on the south coast of England so we couldn't complain about the chilly winter water.
     Orlando keeps growing on me as a city and my favorite out of the big 3 in Florida we went in Orlando, Tampa, and Miami. Great multicultural city with all the Disney money around to help improve the city as a whole. Really enjoyed the huge Brazilian population down in Orlando since I am a soccer fan. That city really loves its soccer team down there. I love Florida in the sense you can bounce from the 3 major cities so quickly when the traffic isn't a head ache. Traffic was great and just fine by Florida standards.

RATTLER43

Jealous.  Canoeing and manatees.....  Glad you had a great trip.

beach bum

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 27, 2017, 02:53:33 pm
Jealous.  Canoeing and manatees.....  Glad you had a great trip.

I am sure you will be on the road for something this summer when your schedule opens up that time of year. Hope you do get out for something yourself then. I enjoy hearing where everyone on here heads for their trips. It gives me ideas for the future.

WPWells

I'm currently in Michigan. This was a mistake

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on December 28, 2017, 04:00:29 pm
I'm currently in Michigan. This was a mistake

The Great Lakes, Midwest, and High Plains looks just awful right now. North Dakota was the worst by far a couple days ago...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas