• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knife Review. Taylor Made Old Timer 8OTW STOCKMAN

Started by Lions84, January 11, 2016, 11:55:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lions84

January 11, 2016, 11:55:44 am Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:48:27 pm by Lions84
When Schrade closed in 2004 I thought I had lost my favorite knife company and when Taylor bought the rights and started turning out substandard knives I thought my fears were confirmed. Fast forward to Dec 2015 and I scored one for cheap of Ebay.

I got on old OT8 from the 1980's that I compared it too. 
Same size weight, fit and finish.
Mine new used one is in Ironwood.
OT8 Carbon and this new one got High Carbon SS about the same to the Old Uncle Henry Line's from Schrade had back then.  Easy to sharpen and it stayed sharp with nothing more than some stropping on some Cardboard.

So while I found my new one for 4 bucks Ebay they are running under 50 bucks for all models at TRS or Amazon for their standard EDC Classic Pocket knifes.   

Lions84

Give Taylor made Old Timer and Uncle Henry knifes a shot they are worth it.

Lions84

Lions84

Got another a Old Timer this time the 280 OT Barlow.   This one had a few issues on the fit and finish : the brass pins were not properly set and I had to put the knife on the anvil and use my machinist hammer to get them set properly.  Then I hit them with a fine file and made them flush with the scales on the side of the knife.  Other than that it looks great except it got a extra strong finger nail busting pen blade backspring.  Blades were paper cutting sharp out of the box.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Lions84 on February 01, 2016, 10:23:06 am
Got another a Old Timer this time the 280 OT Barlow.   This one had a few issues on the fit and finish : the brass pins were not properly set and I had to put the knife on the anvil and use my machinist hammer to get them set properly.  Then I hit them with a fine file and made them flush with the scales on the side of the knife.  Other than that it looks great except it got a extra strong finger nail busting pen blade backspring.  Blades were paper cutting sharp out of the box.

Your toolbox which includes a machinist hammer, anvil and a fine file trumps my Globemaster all in one tool ($1.89)

Jacketman65

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on February 04, 2016, 05:28:22 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on February 01, 2016, 10:23:06 am

Your toolbox which includes a machinist hammer, anvil and a fine file trumps my Globemaster all in one tool ($1.89)
Since it is political,I am not so sure that you are allowed to use the word TRUMP on this site any longer! :o :o Just saying! 8) 8)

Breitontime

I had to Google machinist hammer.

I own a machine shop.

Lions84

I picked up a 8 oz machinest hammer several years ago at a Garage sale, it works great with my Vermont American steel punches.  I love my pocket knifes for sure.

Maynard G Krebs

Some knives I have had since my preteen years.  Collection includes some German "Eye-brand", German Boker Tree Brand, Keen-Kutter & Old Timer (by Schrade Walden), Case, Buck.  Never used some of them and others show a lot of wear.

Lions84

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on February 17, 2016, 08:46:39 am

Some knives I have had since my preteen years.  Collection includes some German "Eye-brand", German Boker Tree Brand, Keen-Kutter & Old Timer (by Schrade Walden), Case, Buck.  Never used some of them and others show a lot of wear.

Nice collection  and both these Taylor made ones are working fine and holding thier edge.

Lions84

Update the Taylor made Old Timers are hanging in there and doing fine.

Lions84

Still happy with both of my Taylor made OT knives.   They got great walk and talk and will shave your arm clean.

Lions84

Lions84

These Taylor made ones are both still doing fine and are worth your time and dollar to check out.

Lions84

Been cutting fruit , rope cardboard ect and it still working fine.

Lions84

Gave away the Taylor Made Barlow last night as a Door Price at a Meeting.  I can always get another one.

Lions84

The Taylor OT 8 got a touch up on the stones this week.

Lions84

I a 72OT  By Taylor and it and the 8OT are doing fine they are back in the box waiting to go back into rotation.

Lions84

Found a Imperial for 3 bucks made by Taylor and it in my pocket now.

Lions84

Lions84

WPWells

Lions84

Now into August the blades have no play , don't take much to keep sharp, bolsters and scales are showing some scratches from my pocket change and such.  Bottom Line this one just takes a tad more blade tlc to keep it sharp than my USA 8OT's .

Lions84

Lions84

I still rotating it out with the rest so I carry it for a week every 4-6 weeks and then touch it up as needed wipe it down and back in the tackle box I use for knife storage.

I got this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flambeau-Outdoors-Hip-Roof-Tackle-Box/3342519

Lions84

It will be back in my pocket next week I got a double handful of Stockmans.

Lions84

I carried and used it all last week and it still shaves leg hair with no issue.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Lions84 on October 04, 2016, 01:01:48 pm
I carried and used it all last week and it still shaves leg hair with no issue.

Lions....Why are you shaving your legs?

Lions84

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 05, 2016, 07:20:52 pm
Lions....Why are you shaving your legs?

I test the edge down around my ankles to check sharpness. With socks no one sees it and the wife got upset with me have one per near shaved forearm and one all bushy.

Cabotfan

Lions84

Lions84

Redwolves8526

HorseFeathers

Lions84

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 18, 2016, 01:52:09 pm
cutting what?

Fruit , opening mail , sharpening pencils, cutting string and opening packages.

Lions84

It got used Sunday and did fine opening a new package of SS materials.

Lions84

Lions84

Lions84

bleudog

I'm a fan of the late Guy Clark. He wrote a song titled THE RANDALL KNIFE about the relationship between a father and son.  I'm not a knife guy. Is a Randall knife the top of the line among knife makers?

Lions84

Quote from: bleudog on December 29, 2016, 12:21:46 pm
I'm a fan of the late Guy Clark. He wrote a song titled THE RANDALL KNIFE about the relationship between a father and son.  I'm not a knife guy. Is a Randall knife the top of the line among knife makers?

Randall was one of best knife makers ever.

bleudog

Lions84

Lions84

You can trust Taylor made Old Timers as much as you can Buck or Case. !

Lions84

Lions84

Carrying it this week and I touched up the sheepsfoot after cutting up some boxes.

Lions84

April update it cuts what I need and showing some wear from all the junk in my pockets.

Lions84

I pulled her back out for the weekend and all this week,  I touched her up on the leather and she hair popping sharp.

Lions84

I been using it off and on with much success. It gets stropped after each use so it going strong.

Lions84

Got it out and carried it all week. I love this knife.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas