• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

8 Man Football Standings

Started by AT, September 25, 2018, 11:29:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

September 25, 2018, 11:29:24 am Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:09:26 pm by Almatrackster
8 Man Football
1. Woodlawn (8-0) TB Points: 90
2. Episcopal (5-3) TB Points: 65
3. Augusta (5-3) TB Points: 54
4. Decatur (1-7) TB Points: 13
5. Hermitage (1-7) TB Points: 6

mr.gametime

How many players does these teams have on their roster...im asking because I have been told of a couple of teams who have atleast 20 players ..which would have been enough for 11 man football

AT

Quote from: mr.gametime on September 27, 2018, 04:28:25 pm
How many players does these teams have on their roster...im asking because I have been told of a couple of teams who have atleast 20 players ..which would have been enough for 11 man football

I mean...sure, but that's pushing it.

20 players that fit position depth exactly as you might need it with injuries?

More people playing both ways all game, causing more risk for injuries, also.

I think 20 isn't a high number to play 8 man.

Bearden_Bear72

a team of 20 wouldn't put up much of a fight in 11 man.  Might get lucky one year but nothing Constant.

OLionSwag74

HorseFeathers

I counted 19 for Mt Ida against Mineral Springs...I can remember Hector finishing with less than 15 a few times... Barton made state finals with like 13 kids in 2003... It can be done, but not to consistently

mr.gametime

I'm not sure how many of y'all follow class 2A football....but for decades around 17 to 25 players is absolutely normal ..there are several teams this year playing 11-man football with 21 or less players

MomaLion

We typically start the season with around 20-22 and wind up with about 15.

AT

Updated. Only game was Woodlawn and Hermitage

Pick_DA_EAGLES

October 01, 2018, 01:53:07 pm #9 Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:04:32 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: Almatrackster on October 01, 2018, 01:34:15 pm
Updated. Only game was Woodlawn and Hermitage

augusta played episcopal also.

baseball13

I wish there was a master schedule so I could go watch a game just see what its like.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: baseball13 on October 01, 2018, 04:12:53 pm
I wish there was a master schedule so I could go watch a game just see what its like.

October 5th---
Arkansas Christian @ Episcopal
Decatur @ Hermitage
Woodlawn @ Augusta

October 11
Arkansas School for the Deaf @ Hermitage

October 12th
Episcopal @ Woodlawn
Augusta @ Decatur

October 19
Decatur @ Episcopal
Hermitage @ Augusta

October 26
Episcopal @ Hermitage
Woodlawn @ Decatur

November 1
Arkansas School For the Deaf @ Decatur

November 2
Hermitage @ Woodlawn

AT

Pick_DA_EAGLES

baseball13

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 01, 2018, 04:38:14 pm

October 5th---
Arkansas Christian @ Episcopal
Decatur @ Hermitage
Woodlawn @ Augusta

October 11
Arkansas School for the Deaf @ Hermitage

October 12th
Episcopal @ Woodlawn
Augusta @ Decatur

October 19
Decatur @ Episcopal
Hermitage @ Augusta

October 26
Episcopal @ Hermitage
Woodlawn @ Decatur

November 1
Arkansas School For the Deaf @ Decatur

November 2
Hermitage @ Woodlawn

thank you

SmallTown

Showdown between the top ranked teams Woodlawn (5-0) and Augusta (4-1) this Friday @ Augusta starting at 7:00.  If you haven't seen a game yet this is entertaining football to watch.

BLamb44

I'm new to the forum but I'm also new to 8 man football as well. I can tell you with great certainty that if these schools could play an 11 man schedule, they would have. You start the season hoping for 20-24 players, then only 16 show up. You lose 2 or 3 to injury, and then you're trying to play Junction City or Rison with 12 kids. Numbers are down all over the state and this gives teams a chance to continue football at their school. It's still real football. Blocking and tackling are the same, but the field is narrowed to 40 yards wide to accommodate the 8 vs 8. I never thought I would like it but it's open and exciting. If you've never watched a game, check it out. You won't be disappointed.

WonderWartHawg

Quote from: mr.gametime on September 30, 2018, 06:28:21 pm
I'm not sure how many of y'all follow class 2A football....but for decades around 17 to 25 players is absolutely normal ..there are several teams this year playing 11-man football with 21 or less players

Rison won a state championship with 21 one year.

HorseFeathers

Pretty sure Decatur Beat Hermitage tonight

gcsdad

Quote from: WonderWartHawg on October 05, 2018, 10:37:54 pm
Rison won a state championship with 21 one year.
Woodlawn playing 8 man is such a joke. According to Maxpreps they have 24 athletes. Mount Ida and Murfreesboro both have less than that and are doing just fine in 2A. I can't believe the coaches and admin allowed them to go to 8 man. Woodlawn has had some great coaches and has been competitive(went to the quarters in 2014?) They ran from Rison and the rest of the conference. Now they puff their chest out like they've done something special. We find it hilarious here on the other side of town.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: gcsdad on October 10, 2018, 10:06:11 am
Woodlawn playing 8 man is such a joke. According to Maxpreps they have 24 athletes. Mount Ida and Murfreesboro both have less than that and are doing just fine in 2A. I can't believe the coaches and admin allowed them to go to 8 man. Woodlawn has had some great coaches and has been competitive(went to the quarters in 2014?) They ran from Rison and the rest of the conference. Now they puff their chest out like they've done something special. We find it hilarious here on the other side of town.

I agree. They should be playing 11 man. They are running through the 8 man league.

MomaLion

Perhaps the 8 man league should have a cap on eligible players to participate.  Not meaning that they should have less than X players available, but that even if they have 30 players, they can only use 15 or so...they could have alternates available in case of injury.  Heck it would make it a more even playing field for 11 man.  The smaller schools in each classification will almost always struggle with the larger teams because of having to play so many both ways....just my opinion.

friscokid

At this early stage the numbers will be out of whack. Give it time and there will likely be a big 8-man and small 8-man class, like OK and KS.

Safety

Quote from: gcsdad on October 10, 2018, 10:06:11 am
I find this very disappointing that the other side of the creek feels this way. These are kids that just want the opportunity to play. You only feel that way because they're winning at something. If they were losing ya'll would be laughing and saying that's where they belong. Even Rison players will hang their cleats one of these days...let the other kids enjoy their time to.
What compelled you to come to the 8 man board and bash Woodlawn anyway? Deep seated jealousy over baseball?

HorseFeathers

So why aren't they playing 11 man? They have a roster bigger than probably 75% of 2a

Safety

They do "NOT" have 24. Since y'all are referring to Maxpreps, I ask you to go back and look. They list 3 guys twice and also a manager. The decision was made in May to play 8 man. At that time, they were looking at 15 or 16 players. Look at what happened last season when Woodlawn and Hermitage had to end their season early due to numbers. That wasn't fair to them or the rest of the conference. Since there seems to be such a worry about roster size and where teams belong, maybe we should do all classifications on roster size instead of enrollment size. More competitive football all around. We can argue this until the end of time.

gcsdad

Quote from: Safety on October 12, 2018, 07:54:47 am
I find this very disappointing that the other side of the creek feels this way. These are kids that just want the opportunity to play. You only feel that way because they're winning at something. If they were losing ya'll would be laughing and saying that's where they belong. Even Rison players will hang their cleats one of these days...let the other kids enjoy their time to.
What compelled you to come to the 8 man board and bash Woodlawn anyway? Deep seated jealousy over baseball?
You ran away from playing the teams your own size. Doing kids a favor? Look how many kids you have on the sideline just watching. You should be playing 11 man football. Truthfully you guys shouldn't even try to play football. Stick to baseball. Only you guys would bring baseball to a football board.

RATTLER43

I am happy for any school who chooses 8-man over getting rid of football.  Football culture can disappear forever in small communities if the program dies.  We are near the bottom of Class 2A as far as numbers.   It gets tough to get enough kids to play.  I prefer 11 man football but will take 8-man over no football any time.   I am an oldtimer and have seen so many schools over the years just throw in the towel and football died at their respective schools.  What a shame for those kids, even if small in numbers, who wanted to play football.  It is easy to name off 20 schools who have dropped football during my time.   Go enjoy your 8-man football if that is your choice.   

i40traveler

Quote from: Safety on October 12, 2018, 07:54:47 am

LOLOLOLOL no dog in this fight but you must be from Woodlawn to think that people care that much outside of Woodlawn about baseball.

Safety

Quote from: gcsdad on October 12, 2018, 10:12:39 am
You ran away from playing the teams your own size. Doing kids a favor? Look how many kids you have on the sideline just watching. You should be playing 11 man football. Truthfully you guys shouldn't even try to play football. Stick to baseball. Only you guys would bring baseball to a football board.
I apologize for throwing the sarcasm at you about baseball. The kids did not run away from anything. Woodlawn is a 1A school that's trying to hang on to a sport for its community and school. The coaches and administration made the best decision they could based on their numbers and also helped the other schools by their decision to "help" form the 8 man league. This decision, at first, was not popular with the players and some parents. But it was their only way to save the sport. Contrary to belief, all players are getting a bunch of playing time. A lot of 2A and some 3A schools are struggling with numbers and it only going to get worse. 8 man is a safety net for communities that enjoy the Friday nights in the Fall. If it's not in your lane, by all means I not going to ask you to come along. 

BLamb44

It was either 8 man or no football at Woodlawn. Only 9 players came to summer workouts and 4 joined the team after the season started. They would not have joined if we were playing 11 man. Last year was very difficult, since we had to bring the 9th graders up just to play, had 3 key injuries and had to forfeit the last 3 games of the season. The administration saw the writing on the wall and made a tough but excellent decision. Any football is better than no football, and that's where it was headed. 8 man football saved the season, and the players have responded. We're finally playing teams just like us. Some teams will never have problems with numbers but for others, it's a struggle every year. Mt. Ida may have to go to 8 man next year. To no fault of their own, they are losing 13 seniors and may not be able to field a team next year without 8 man football. They are a perennial 2A power. Would you rather them shut the program down? Haters gonna hate, no matter what. 8 man football is good for the state, and I'm glad it's an option for those schools less fortunate to not have 50 come out to play year in and year out. By the way, a lot of the rosters in Kansas and Oklahoma have 30 plus players on their 8 man teams. Unfortunately, it's the day and age we live in. I will always be on the side of playing Friday night football as opposed to no football at all.

AT

Quote from: BLamb44 on October 14, 2018, 06:15:57 pm
It was either 8 man or no football at Woodlawn. Only 9 players came to summer workouts and 4 joined the team after the season started. They would not have joined if we were playing 11 man. Last year was very difficult, since we had to bring the 9th graders up just to play, had 3 key injuries and had to forfeit the last 3 games of the season. The administration saw the writing on the wall and made a tough but excellent decision. Any football is better than no football, and that's where it was headed. 8 man football saved the season, and the players have responded. We're finally playing teams just like us. Some teams will never have problems with numbers but for others, it's a struggle every year. Mt. Ida may have to go to 8 man next year. To no fault of their own, they are losing 13 seniors and may not be able to field a team next year without 8 man football. They are a perennial 2A power. Would you rather them shut the program down? Haters gonna hate, no matter what. 8 man football is good for the state, and I'm glad it's an option for those schools less fortunate to not have 50 come out to play year in and year out. By the way, a lot of the rosters in Kansas and Oklahoma have 30 plus players on their 8 man teams. Unfortunately, it's the day and age we live in. I will always be on the side of playing Friday night football as opposed to no football at all.

Great insight! +1

threepeoplematter

NO dog in this fight either, my team is always gonna be 11 man, lol, but I will say this.  We are talking about an argument over basically 5 or 6 kids difference really.  19 to 24 or 25?  That's not a lot.  If a team went year to year based on the decisions of 6 kids or so, its gonna be rough.  I think more schools went and are going in my opinion 8 man, because they can't CONSISTENTLY put 25 kids on the team.  They will have anywhere from 16 to 25 or so and that can't be easy to plan for.  If it takes 22 to practice 11 on 11, then 25 isn't a lot.  Also, some of their 25 may not be of the quality that the other teams are playing with because they are smaller schools.  Their 20-25th guy may be a kid who is just out there to be out there and help out.  He may not be capable of being a "star".  So its really unfair I think to say a school is wrong for making the best decision for the "long term" based on how their numbers look for one year.  Isn't that why the AAA uses a three year average or something for classification? 

AT

Anyone know the Decatur-Episcopal score from this past Friday?

HorseFeathers

Episcopal won don't have a score

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Quote from: Safety on October 12, 2018, 09:55:00 am
They do "NOT" have 24. Since y'all are referring to Maxpreps, I ask you to go back and look. They list 3 guys twice and also a manager. The decision was made in May to play 8 man. At that time, they were looking at 15 or 16 players. Look at what happened last season when Woodlawn and Hermitage had to end their season early due to numbers. That wasn't fair to them or the rest of the conference. Since there seems to be such a worry about roster size and where teams belong, maybe we should do all classifications on roster size instead of enrollment size. More competitive football all around. We can argue this until the end of time.

20 is still enough to play 11-man. And if you can't field enough players to man a team does anybody even show up to games? At what point are you throwing away money?

friscokid

Quote from: GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over on October 27, 2018, 04:57:39 pm
20 is still enough to play 11-man. And if you can't field enough players to man a team does anybody even show up to games? At what point are you throwing away money?
You might start the year with 20, but a lot of those might be 120-pound sophomores whose daddies made them dress out. Coaches know at what level they can realistically compete, and so do a majority of fans.

birddawg1986

I can see AAA adding 8 man football during the next cycle. Be good for small school districts.

dawgpound

heck when i was in high school we played 3a football with 17 players 20 is more than enough

Sugeknight

Man leave these people and their 8 Man Football alone and let them what's best for their kids.

AT

Woodlawn wins the inaugural season of 8-man football in Arkansas.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Why is 3A Episcopal playing 8man? That's a bigger joke than Woodlawn. I hope more real small with much cooler names start playing, like Acorn, Mammoth Spring, and Kirby.

HorseFeathers

Episcopal is 2a school in size and has always struggled with numbers on the football team

BLamb44

This turned out to be a great season with a lot of good football played along the way. Woodlawn ends up 9-0 and more importantly the kids stayed healthy and had a great time. In response to do the fans show up to games, yes they do. Every home game was packed with people standing by the fences. We sold more merchandise than ever and the excitement of the season will linger for awhile. The first year of 8 man football in Arkansas was a success and if there are any teams out there that struggle with enrollment or team size, come give it a shot. It's definitely worth the price of admission to keep playing Friday night football.

Kevin

Quote from: mr.gametime on September 30, 2018, 06:28:21 pm
about 4 years ago bauxite had around 20-30 players at most. Doesn't mean much, since they were really bad back then and now have numbers in the 50-60 range... Winning with >25 players is tough in any conference other than 2A and still hard there as well

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas