• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the capacity of Jessieville Sports Arena?

Started by ReddieKnightTrojan, March 04, 2016, 03:40:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ReddieKnightTrojan

riversr54

bearbacker52

Eagle20

Seating is not enough but they count 250 or so in standing room around the top to make it qualify by the guidelines.

smallybells

oldcoach

First let me say the people of Jessieville were very nice and the tournament well run but the crowd was just to big for the building last night.  It is hard to believe the fire code would allow that many people in that facility.  The top of the arena was like a sardine can.  Just very thankful there were no medical emergency's.

Rocky

The gym would probably be big enough to hold fans from both teams if someone would beat centerpoint out. Centerpoint fans were easily 2/3 of the people in that gym

Radiotalker

Quote from: Rocky on March 05, 2016, 09:03:38 am
The gym would probably be big enough to hold fans from both teams if someone would beat centerpoint out. Centerpoint fans were easily 2/3 of the people in that gym

Not during the day session and I thought it was uncomfortable then.

BBall fans

You're right, Centerpoint does turn out a lot of fans, but you also had a lot of people from other schools, and from Hot Springs itself, there to watch the superstar Austin Reaves.  After he finished playing, a lot of people departed.

Proud Buckaroo

Centerpoint fans didn't start to show up until halftime of the Cedar/Lamar game. I got up from my seat to go meet someone and as soon as I walked 10 feet. My seat and radio talkers seat was instantly taken. The balcony section was uncomfortably packed. I'm pretty certain it was way over capacity. I'm glad there wasn't any one in need of emergency services because I would of had a hard time getting to them. The stairways were nearly blocked off on all sides at the top.

Black and Gold

Who has the largest gym in 3A? Or you could even use a 5A to 7A gym whose team is playing somewhere else. It would work out better if that team was out of the tournament so there would be no practice schedule conflicts.

Radiotalker

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on March 05, 2016, 10:54:12 am
Centerpoint fans didn't start to show up until halftime of the Cedar/Lamar game. I got up from my seat to go meet someone and as soon as I walked 10 feet. My seat and radio talkers seat was instantly taken. The balcony section was uncomfortably packed. I'm pretty certain it was way over capacity. I'm glad there wasn't any one in need of emergency services because I would of had a hard time getting to them. The stairways were nearly blocked off on all sides at the top.

I wish we would have kept those seats. We would have been right there to see the TR coach tirade.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Radiotalker on March 05, 2016, 11:23:13 am
I wish we would have kept those seats. We would have been right there to see the TR coach tirade.

I saw that coming. Especially seeing how hotheaded he appeared. Lol.

bobcats

Valley springs put in a bid using the North Arkanasas CC gym which has substantially more seating.  I'm pretty sure the comfort of the attendees is not a consideration of AAA.

ReddieKnightTrojan

riversr54

What you have to understand is that no school would want to host the tournament if they have to go rent a bigger venue. The hosting school makes very little money, maybe none, for hosting a tournament. The only income is from concessions and that may or may not pay all the expenses that it costs to run the tournament. If you want to solve the size of venue problem you need to petition AAA to pay for hosting at larger sites. The schools can't justify the money to do that.

Bottom line, Jessieville bid to host the tournament because our community enjoys it. AAA makes the decision as to who gets it. Once we get it, we do our absolute best to make it enjoyable and fun for everyone and with any luck we are able to do that for most players and fans.

Proud Buckaroo

I had no issues with anything with other than the fact of how many people were in there by half time of the cedar ridge game. I get that teams/fans of the next game show up early. But...I am certified CPR and medicial services. It was a concern to me that if there was someone who needed assistance in the stands; I watched from the balcony, that I couldn't get to them in time. The venue is nice. It had some pretty decent food. I was really pleased with how quickly the line moved for the concession.

Bwana

March 05, 2016, 01:26:38 pm #17 Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:28:18 pm by Bwana
Quote from: riversr54 on March 05, 2016, 12:31:26 pm
What you have to understand is that no school would want to host the tournament if they have to go rent a bigger venue. The hosting school makes very little money, maybe none, for hosting a tournament. The only income is from concessions and that may or may not pay all the expenses that it costs to run the tournament. If you want to solve the size of venue problem you need to petition AAA to pay for hosting at larger sites. The schools can't justify the money to do that.

Bottom line, Jessieville bid to host the tournament because our community enjoys it. AAA makes the decision as to who gets it. Once we get it, we do our absolute best to make it enjoyable and fun for everyone and with any luck we are able to do that for most players and fans.
I agree with part of your statement that the host school can't make money by renting a bigger venue and giving the profits from the concessions away but I've seen the final numbers from several different host schools that ended up making between 10 and 17 thousand dollars for the week.. They did it by working ahead of time getting donations and being able to buy items at cost.. When you can serve a chicken, fish or cheeseburger meal with a $5 profit margin it adds up quick and that doesn't count the donations made to the school from local motels/hotels and restaurants for filling up their rooms during a slow part of the year for most.. There's money to be made, it just takes a ton of work and good volunteers.. I've always thought Jessieville did an outstanding job and always enjoy attending games there..

BBall fans

Quote from: riversr54 on March 05, 2016, 12:31:26 pm

No one's blaming Jessieville for wanting to host the tournament, everyone would like to host the tournament.  And your staff and volunteers have done a FANTASTIC job!!  The question everyone is asking is SHOULD Jessieville, (or any other small school), host a tournament of this size.  The gym is simply too small for the crowd, that's all we're saying.  Not only are you forcing people, including a lot of elderly grandparents, to stand on their feet and have to make their way through a pushing crowd, also in stifling heat, (on Friday night it felt like a steam oven on the top balcony), you're creating a real potentially life-threatening emergency.  I can't imagine what would have happened if a fire broke out in that crowd or if someone needed emergency attention.

No one's blaming Jessieville, we're simply asking why the AAA would knowingly put a tournament in a gym that small.

HorseFeathers

Who's to say the college's would allow the tournament to bebhosted in their gyms? Y'all just assune that it would just be cut and dry, but I'm getting there is a reason no one had put in a bid using a college other than NACC recently....

Chicky

Quote from: oldcoach on March 05, 2016, 08:42:49 am
First let me say the people of Jessieville were very nice and the tournament well run but the crowd was just to big for the building last night.  It is hard to believe the fire code would allow that many people in that facility.  The top of the arena was like a sardine can.  Just very thankful there were no medical emergency's.
Same issue at Brockwell in the 1A last night.  School and staff have been WONDERFUL but please don't ask  to clear the student section if you don't have some place for folks to sit, or stand for that matter. ;D

Radiotalker

Quote from: HF on March 05, 2016, 02:28:13 pm
Who's to say the college's would allow the tournament to bebhosted in their gyms? Y'all just assune that it would just be cut and dry, but I'm getting there is a reason no one had put in a bid using a college other than NACC recently....

Use to do all the time before they went crazy with all the classifications.

Missco

Arkansas has never used colleges much. This has been going on forever. It was a lot worse in the 80s and 90s. I saw things back in the day that were crazy. One year at Beebe fans were snuck in through the dressing rooms. A few colleges have hosted over the years but never like other states. That's a whole story in itself. Most states use neutral sites.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Chicky on March 05, 2016, 02:39:08 pm
  Same issue at Brockwell in the 1A last night.  School and staff have been WONDERFUL but please don't ask  to clear the student section if you don't have some place for folks to sit, or stand for that matter. ;D

That's been every tournament I've been to that has designated student sections

xadboy

College gyms were used a lot for the smaller classifications. University of the Ozarks hosted several state tournaments. At the time I was attending the school. Coach Jones made all of us work and there wasn't any overcrowding issues. So yes they did use colleges, not sure why they don't anymore. Thought Jessieville did good job on everything except for crowd control. But there just wasn't enough room as the gym just didn't have enough seating.

fbisgreat

Back in 1976 and 77 Charleston played in state at Arkansas Tech.78 was at Henderson State.I wish they would go back to that.

HorseFeathers

I would love for a state tournament of a lower class to be at Tucker coliseum :D...Seats 3500...Let's do this

beach bum

Quote from: HF on March 05, 2016, 09:17:18 pm
I would love for a state tournament of a lower class to be at Tucker coliseum :D...Seats 3500...Let's do this

I have been there when Tech boys and girls hosted regionals together since DII has a true regional format to reach their Elite 8 and it was a packed and sold out game at Tucker. Man that was a fun day and atmosphere in that funky dome watching Tech in two routs of their opponent.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on March 05, 2016, 09:21:15 pm
I have been there when Tech boys and girls hosted regionals together since DII has a true regional format to reach their Elite 8 and it was a packed and sold out game at Tucker. Man that was a fun day and atmosphere in that funky dome watching Tech in two routs of their opponent.

Never been to a game there....been to a concert and several graduations though

strongandsteady

I think Prescott has a nice enough gym that could host it next year

Longfellow

The only problem I have with Tech basketball is that student attendance is pretty low. A lot of the fans are alumni. Senior Night last year was one of the best basketball environments I've ever seen

CURLEYWOLF24

Quote from: strongandsteady on March 05, 2016, 09:38:00 pm
I think Prescott has a nice enough gym that could host it next year
Too small to host state.  Fordyce on the other hand has something ideal to host. 

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: CURLEYWOLF24 on March 07, 2016, 08:27:14 am
Too small to host state.  Fordyce on the other hand has something ideal to host.

They did last years state tournament. That was the only reason they didn't get it. I hope they do next years, but we don't know for sure. Considering the merged conferences.

Timberwolf08

I just wish host sites would ask people who's teams have finished playing to go to the top. I get that everyone wants to watch a good game, I just think it's kinda rude to stay around in good seats after your game is over while players parents//siblings are standing around the top. One of the administrators from CR went in on her AAA pass and said there were already tons of Jessieville fans in for the evening game and she was maybe the 10th person in when doors were opened at 5 Saturday night.

shady11954

Quote from: Timberwolf08 on March 07, 2016, 09:59:50 am
I just wish host sites would ask people who's teams have finished playing to go to the top. I get that everyone wants to watch a good game, I just think it's kinda rude to stay around in good seats after your game is over while players parents//siblings are standing around the top. One of the administrators from CR went in on her AAA pass and said there were already tons of Jessieville fans in for the evening game and she was maybe the 10th person in when doors were opened at 5 Saturday night.
no that is not right just teams and admin in gym before 5

ag67

I got to the gym @ 5pm and had to park in the lower parking lot next to the hwy. By the time I got to gym the line going in was all the way to back and I by the time I got in the door it was already standing room only. By the CR/CP game it was 3 to 4 deep along the rails.

HorseFeathers

Yall complain about this but whats the capacity of the summit in hot sprngs? The line for 7a was how long last year?

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: HF on March 08, 2016, 11:46:12 am
Yall complain about this but whats the capacity of the summit in hot sprngs? The line for 7a was how long last year?

6,300 seats

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas