• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3pt Season

Started by BigMan15, February 09, 2016, 10:24:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMan15

Actually is average from there is about 30%

BigMan15

Plus if you have a kid that can shoot that far out then it opens up the driving lanes and makes the defense stick on him and not help off which also opens up your other players.

Longfellow

So you never saw Jimmer Fredette play? Guy is making a living on 25 footers. Just signed with the New York Knicks. I'm not saying Brandon is Jimmer, but I've coached Brandon in AAU and watched him play a lot. 25 foot shots may not be the smartest shots for a player, but I would bet that his percentage is way higher than 15%.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Tanner Brunt from Centerpoint hit at least 4 3s in the first half last night.

BigMan15

Quote from: WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot on February 25, 2016, 10:42:51 am
Then that is just bad coaching. College coaches don't tell their players that. Fenner is a good player but he isn't good enough to shoot 25 footers. His average from 25 feet is prob abt 15%. I agree you can win games that way but you lose more games than you win from 25 feet away. Like I said before, 25 feet is out of EVERY high school kids range. Even the best in the state. Just my opinion but I have been involved with high school bball for 40 yrs and have yet to see the "phenom" that can shoot well enough from 25.
Seeing how you only have two post Im sorry but I dont care what you think furthermore if you dont like threes get off of our page!!!!

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

LOL. Get off your page? Really? I don't see you as the owner of FF. I can say what I want. I have no dog in this hunt so, my opinion may be worth a little more than yours. I have watched Charleston play several times this year and have seen with my own eyes what I'm talking about. As far as Ferdette...I don't believe he played bball in AR, nor do I believe he is still in high school like the kids we are talking about. So, let's compare apples to apples and leave Ferdette out of this convo. Also, I would like to point out by using your own stats that you have a better 3 point shooter than Fenner on your team. Ewing is shooting 5.5% better from beyond the arc. Why isnt he shooting more?

BigMan15

Now I understand why ur on here!! Im sorry Chase doesnt shoot more but yes he is a good player and a good shooter. Fenner gets him and Jackson some open looks so it all works out. We have a good team dont mess that up with BS like that. Garrett Loughridge also has a great % why doesnt he shoot more?

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Oh, you do? Tell me why I'm on here. I can make you this promise....it isn't to boost others perception of my kid. Like others on here.

HorseFeathers

Hmmmm....maybe the infighting is only with the parents and not the players....smh

BigMan15

Ok you dont like it when my son shoots deep threes or maybe u just dont like him. Get in line!!!

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

I have nothing against your kid nor anyone elses. I was making a point abt how far these kids shoot from these days. I never singled out any kid from any team.
I'm not from Charleston so the "in-fighting" is kinda a stupid remark.

BigMan15

You just so happen to go to Charleston games and know some of our players right????

Black and Gold

Then that is just bad coaching. College coaches don't tell their players that. Fenner is a good player but he isn't good enough to shoot 25 footers. His average from 25 feet is prob abt 15%. I agree you can win games that way but you lose more games than you win from 25 feet away. Like I said before, 25 feet is out of EVERY high school kids range. Even the best in the state. Just my opinion but I have been involved with high school bball for 40 yrs and have yet to see the "phenom" that can shoot well enough from 25.
I'll trust Brandon to shoot 25 footers. I'm always comfortable when he has the ball in his hands. If he misses then he'll get back and play D. I've seen him do it before.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Yes. I have been to Charleston games. Prob about 6 or 7 of them. I've been to Van Buren, Fort Smith NS, Fort Smith SS, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Russelville and a few others as well. You are acting like all I do is go to Charleston games. The fact is that I go to watch many teams play in this area and I can name a few players from all of these teams. My point was never to single out your son or anyone elses but to just make a point about how kids don't know their range.

@CurryLegion

Quote from: WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot on February 25, 2016, 12:57:18 pm
Yes. I have been to Charleston games. Prob about 6 or 7 of them. I've been to Van Buren, Fort Smith NS, Fort Smith SS, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Russelville and a few others as well. You are acting like all I do is go to Charleston games. The fact is that I go to watch many teams play in this area and I can name a few players from all of these teams. My point was never to single out your son or anyone elses but to just make a point about how kids don't know their range.
I'm with WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot on this one. He's right, there are very few high schoolers whose actual "range" extends to 25 feet.

BigMan15

I think 30% from 25+ most coaches will take!!

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

You think it's 30%. That's laughable. Maybe 20% i could agree with but college players don't even hit 30% from 25 feet away. You only fool the easy people with that bunch of bs.

BigMan15

Watch the film infact ill give his sign on for hudl if you want!! Its ok to downgrade kids it just makes you look bad!

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

What kid have I said anything negative about? Dude, you really need to grow up.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

If Fenner has the green light from 25 feet, that isn't his bad, it's a coaching problem. Don't try to make me out to be the bad guy here.

@CurryLegion

In my opinion to be considered "in range" you need to shoot at least average or above it. I believe this number to be around 33% or 1/3. Anything below this, then that specified distance is out of your range. Once you start missing shots left and right rather than long and short then I think you are out of range. Of course a few shots will miss left and right every once in a while, but if it's more often then not then you are OUT OF RANGE.

xadboy

I'm not from Charleston and I will have to say Brandon is probably the best shooter I've seen in high school. Whiskey go look up the highlights from when Ctown played at Lamar. Fenner had probably the best quarter that I've seen a kid play. 7 for 7 from 3 PT, 3 or 4 of them were probably in that 25 foot range. He was also 4 for 4 on free throws for a total of 25 points in the first quarter alone. But I've watched Ctown play 5 or 6 games this year and Fenner is a game changer.

Whiskey name any one that scores like he does, runs the offense as a point guard most of games and is usually the first player back on defense after a missed shot. Also Fenner is a very solid defender. So please name a player that can do all the things he does in a game.

@CurryLegion

February 25, 2016, 01:21:15 pm #72 Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:23:20 pm by bocatfanforlife
Quote from: xadboy on February 25, 2016, 01:15:29 pm
I'm not from Charleston and I will have to say Brandon is probably the best shooter I've seen in high school. Whiskey go look up the highlights from when Ctown played at Lamar. Fenner had probably the best quarter that I've seen a kid play. 7 for 7 from 3 PT, 3 or 4 of them were probably in that 25 foot range. He was also 4 for 4 on free throws for a total of 25 points in the first quarter alone. But I've watched Ctown play 5 or 6 games this year and Fenner is a game changer.

Whiskey name any one that scores like he does, runs the offense as a point guard most of games and is usually the first player back on defense after a missed shot. Also Fenner is a very solid defender. So please name a player that can do all the things he does in a game.
He never said that Fenner isn't the best shooter, he also never degraded Fenner. Go back and read his posts, and be objective. That is probably one of the most impressive quarters in a long time, and I'm sure WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot will agree with me on that. Congrats to Brandon, all that Whiskey said was that high school players are hurting their percentages by shooting from such long range. He NEVER brought up Fenner in his post, and BigMan15 is the one that turned this into being about Fenner.

xadboy

Quote from: bocatfanforlife on February 25, 2016, 01:21:15 pm
He never said that Fenner isn't the best shooter, he also never degraded Fenner. Go back and read his posts, and be objective. That is probably one of the most impressive quarters in a long time, and I'm sure WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot will agree with me on that. Congrats to Brandon, all that Whiskey said was that high school players are hurting their percentages by shooting from such long range. He NEVER brought up Fenner in his post, and the BigMan15 is the one that turned this into being about Fenner.
If you read the post about shooters not playing defense and pouting about missing a shot. Just wanted to give my opinion about Fenner and that he doesn't belong to the group whiskey was describing. One other thing that he doesn't do is complain to refs about being fouled or arguing that he didn't foul when a foul was called against him.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Just so everyone is crystal clear on this issue......bocat actually read my posts. He seems to be the only one. I have watched Fenner play and there is absolutely no doubt that he is a good player. One of the best in the state? I may disagree with you on that one. A great shooter, yes. A great defender? Not in the games i have seen. Maybe I just caught him on an off night defensively. If you want to watch a kid hustle and play good defense, you Charleston fans don't have to go very far b/c the Ewing kid impressed me with his hustle and defense alone.

xadboy

Let's put this another way. How many teams would love to have Fenner on their team? I would be first in line jumping up and down saying yes!

xadboy

Quote from: WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot on February 25, 2016, 01:30:04 pm
Just so everyone is crystal clear on this issue......bocat actually read my posts. He seems to be the only one. I have watched Fenner play and there is absolutely no doubt that he is a good player. One of the best in the state? I may disagree with you on that one. A great shooter, yes. A great defender? Not in the games i have seen. Maybe I just caught him on an off night defensively. If you want to watch a kid hustle and play good defense, you Charleston fans don't have to go very far b/c the Ewing kid impressed me with his hustle and defense alone.
Crystal clear? You obviously didn't read my post. Fenner doesn't belong in that "shooter" group you described. Pouting no defense playing shooters.

You say you have watched Ctown play? What games did you watch?

ballaj21

Did you ever watch marshall henderson play.
I believe Lebron said "That guy has the greenest light of all time"
There is no way Coach Kennedy at ole miss is a "bad coach"

BigMan15

@CurryLegion

Quote from: xadboy on February 25, 2016, 01:37:04 pm
Crystal clear? You obviously didn't read my post. Fenner doesn't belong in that "shooter" group you described. Pouting no defense playing shooters.

You say you have watched Ctown play? What games did you watch?
YOU DIDN'T READ HIS POSTS!!! He never put Fenner in that group, BigMan15 assumed that he was and brought Fenner in to this. You people are crazy.

BigMan15

Quote from: bocatfanforlife on February 25, 2016, 01:41:16 pm
YOU DIDN'T READ HIS POSTS!!! He never put Fenner in that group, BigMan15 assumed that he was and brought Fenner in to this. You people are crazy.

No all I said was that Brandon had won some games on deep shots and he started saying stuff like that Brandon shot 15%....infact read what teams he watched..thats right no other 3A team was mentioned!!! And what board is he on...thats right 3A so who was he talking about????

xadboy

Quote from: bocatfanforlife on February 25, 2016, 01:41:16 pm
Go back and look for yourself please. A lot of the conversation on this thread was about Fenner. So yeah I'd say whiskey was talking about a group on his post right after a post on Fenner. He may not have named Fenner, but he was talking about him.

xadboy

Whiskey and bobcatfan, do y'all think it's bad coaching to let Curry shoot any time he wants?

BigMan15

Im done with this for today!! See you guys at the game tonight!

smallybells

Quote from: xadboy on February 25, 2016, 01:54:08 pm
Whiskey and bobcatfan, do y'all think it's bad coaching to let Curry shoot any time he wants?

Curry is not a HS player, he isn't even a run off the mill pro player, apples and oranges.

dentist15

Just my take on this......I agree, shots from 25+ ft are low percentage shots for any player, especially high school, and no coach in their right mind would say they "want" a player taking those shots on a regular basis. 30% for any shot, from any distance, is a poor percentage. Any coach will always tell you that they want the highest percentage or the best look possible......That said, when you have as good a shooter as Fenner on your team, you want him to take as many shots as he is comfortable with, regardless of percentage. For any shooter, all it takes is one shot to make rim feel twice as big. And as evidenced by the Lamar game, when he's feeling it, he can pour it in, in a hurry.

And from what I've seen, he does most of his work within a foot or two of the 3 pt line. He isn't jacking every shot from way deep. His range just expands as he gets comfortable and gets a few shots in. But he's definitely not scared of any shot.

xadboy

Quote from: smallybells on February 25, 2016, 01:56:38 pm
Curry is not a HS player, he isn't even a run off the mill pro player, apples and oranges.
This thread is about "shooters" and what some one said was bad coaching to let a player shoot from 25 feet. No apples to oranges here just comparing shooters. MVP anyone?

Black and Gold

Whiskey is right about one thing. Ewing is an impressive player. Especially for a sophomore

HorseFeathers

Remind me of an NBA caliber shooter in 3a again?

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Just to clear things up again, I did not list all the schools I have seen this year, that's why I put "and many others" at the end of that sentence. I listed those teams because they are some of the best teams I have watched this year. I have seen smaller schools play too. County Line, Lavaca, Cedarville, West Fork. Should I go on? People need to read these threads in their entirety before assuming things. I never mentioned Fenner in this thread, Big Man did. If you look closely, I just joined this media site today and just commented on this thread b/c of the title. I have been saying this to friends of mine all year. So plz if u got something to say, say it. Just don't be putting word in my mouth. I can do that on my own.

xadboy

Quote from: HF on February 25, 2016, 02:15:44 pm
Remind me of an NBA caliber shooter in 3a again?
That was a coaching philosophy comparison. Whiskey said it was bad coaching to let players shoot from 25 feet.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

@Dentist. You are right abt shooters but there is one thing about shooters you failed to mention.....they can lose a game for you. One that keeps on pulling the trigger on an off night. I've seen this happen too many times. Im not sold on shooting your way out of a slump, especially during tournament time. A great player will get shots for the rest of the team and makes his points off of defense.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

@Xad, I'm sorry I was under the impression we were talking about high school basketball. Apples to apples.

xadboy

Quote from: WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot on February 25, 2016, 02:41:15 pm
Just to clear things up again, I did not list all the schools I have seen this year, that's why I put "and many others" at the end of that sentence. I listed those teams because they are some of the best teams I have watched this year. I have seen smaller schools play too. County Line, Lavaca, Cedarville, West Fork. Should I go on? People need to read these threads in their entirety before assuming things. I never mentioned Fenner in this thread, Big Man did. If you look closely, I just joined this media site today and just commented on this thread b/c of the title. I have been saying this to friends of mine all year. So plz if u got something to say, say it. Just don't be putting word in my mouth. I can do that on my own.
Think I did say it, I disagree with about everything you put on here. Asked you for players that can do what Fenner does, but you have not named one player. So I'm taking that as you don't know of any. My posts were about Fenner not belonging in the group of so called shooters. That he has more talents than just shooting. Whiskey you also said it was bad coaching to let him shoot from 25 feet. Most of the time he is double teamed so if he doesn't make it, Ctown has numbers to have better chance of getting the rebound. Whiskey let me ask you this, would you want Fenner on your team? If not please explain why.

ballaj21

Quote from: xadboy on February 25, 2016, 02:48:27 pm
That was a coaching philosophy comparison. Whiskey said it was bad coaching to let players shoot from 25 feet.

Dusty Hannahs used to pull from just about half court.

xadboy

Quote from: WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot on February 25, 2016, 02:52:39 pm
@Xad, I'm sorry I was under the impression we were talking about high school basketball. Apples to apples.
No matter what level you play or coach at there are similar philosophy's, object of the game is to put the ball in basket and stop the other team from putting ball in basket. So do you think Charleston would be where they are at without Fenner? Do you think Ctown would have won or lost more games than they have without him?

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Would I put Fenner on my team. Yes. No doubt about it. Would he start, I don't know. If I had to choose from all of the players in the state, he would not. If I just chose from the 3A players, he more than likely would. He WOULD NOT be shooting from 25 plus feet tho. I got nothin against the Fenner kid. I have watched him play, I liked some things and there were things I did not like. He is a junior and still has a ton of potential, hope he uses it wisely.

BigMan15

Just for laughs let's hear ur starting lineup in 3A

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Xad, Are you really serious abt philosophy of the games? Dude there is so much of a difference from this game to the college game and an even bigger difference between college and the pro level. Kids in high school and college NEED coaching, Atleast 99% of them do. The pros do not. I don't think we have mentioned any high school 1%ers today.

xadboy

Quote from: WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot on February 25, 2016, 03:16:39 pm
Xad, Are you really serious abt philosophy of the games? Dude there is so much of a difference from this game to the college game and an even bigger difference between college and the pro level. Kids in high school and college NEED coaching, Atleast 99% of them do. The pros do not. I don't think we have mentioned any high school 1%ers today.
What are the basic fundamentals of the game no matter what level you play or coach?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas