• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Batesville at P.A.

Started by Intelligentsia, November 21, 2014, 11:36:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

#1jacketfan

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 22, 2014, 09:13:37 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on November 21, 2014, 11:44:41 pm
Although I'm a big PA fan, I'll call this a toss-up.  Coach Kelly will have PA psyched up to avenge the beating Batesville gave PA two years ago.  The PA defense is much better than folks think. But the PA offense will have to play much better than it did against CF to beat Batesville.  Batesville is a formidable opponent.  I'm really looking forward to the game.

Well said PA Dad.  Neither team should hang their head in a loss. Two 10-1 teams, Conference Camps, and in the final 4.  Great seasons IMO; the result of more hard work and sacrifice than most folks imagine.  I'm pulling for a clean game, major injury free, and the best effort by both teams.  With that, I'll be satisfied with the result - not happy in the event of a Pioneer loss, but satisfied that our boys put forth the effort to play on Thanksgiving weekend once again!!
If PA's D-fense is all that how did Beebe put 35 pts on the board

PA Dad

There are two reasons that the PA defense gives up points. First, they are sometimes slow to start and let the other team score a couple of times before they start playing well. Second, the second and even third string defense played a lot in the second half of this year.

PA Dad

I should add that the PA defense is often under tremendous pressure: because they are defending a short field after the opposing team recovers an onside kick. I think they have dealt with that pressure admirably.

#1jacketfan

Quote from: PA Dad on November 23, 2014, 04:06:55 pm
I should add that the PA defense is often under tremendous pressure: because they are defending a short field after the opposing team recovers an onside kick. I think they have dealt with that pressure admirably.
Can they beat the Hogs?

Overdahill

A slow start would be trouble this week. Will need to play 4 quaters to have a chance

HeberFan

PA's quaterback is better than Brandon Allen. But so is Ty Story, and a dozen othe quarterbacks who played high school this year. Hope to go see Story in Little Rock and hope he starts as a freshman next year.

Mtnview_14

I don't think storey will start as a true freshman. I think he will redshirt. As talented as storey is, and as further along as he is at this point than Allen was as a senior in high school.   A redshirt senior Brandon Allen will give the give the hogs a better chance to win than a true freshman storey.  You can destroy a young quarterbacks confidence of you put them in the game too early.  I believe storey will be a great quarterback for the hogs.  But I believe that he needs to develop properly.  Brandon Allen had all the chemistry with these recievers and tight ends.   I think storey and Austin Allen will have a tough fight for the starting spot in a few years tho

HeberFan

Brandon Allen has proven himself to NOT be an SEC level quarterback.

Mtnview_14

What a great game tho. Pulaski academy, a team that puts everything on the line to score, and Batesville, who lives and dies by playing old school physical football.  This may be the game of the year. I know it will mean a lot to a lot of people.    As discipline and talented as batesviles defense is,  they will not be able to shut Pulaski academy down 100%.  The offense will need to score.  Batesville had been blessed with one of the best kickers in the state, but they cannot with this game 3 points at a time. They will need to put up points, hope to force turnovers, and play pioneer football.  Batesville has the advantage tho. These boys have likely played toghether since they were young, and these seniors have been to two state championships and lost.  They have played in big time time games. And won more than they have lost. Few people gave them a chance to win at Wynne. And they executed.  I think Batesville seniors hunger for one last chance at a state championship will be too much for PA to overcome.   Either way,  I hope big teams leave it all on the linr

PA Dad

Quote from: #1jacketfan on November 23, 2014, 04:19:44 pm
Can they beat the Hogs?

PA Dad

I don't think PA can beat the Hogs.  I don't even know if they can beat Batesville.

I agree that it will be a hard game for PA if they give up a couple of early scores.  The offense will have to keep them in it.

Mtnview_14

I don't anybody expects a one sided game.  I'm interested to see how each cosch prepares

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: #1jacketfan on November 23, 2014, 04:19:44 pm
Can they beat the Hogs?

even Chuck Norris can't beat the Hogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

michael2370

With the kicker Batesville has  20 yards maybe less puts Batesville in field goal range after an onside recovery .How many teams PA has played can say that.

PA Dad

None.  But, I'm not too concerned that Batesville will win by kicking field goals.

Intelligentsia

November 23, 2014, 06:59:11 pm #65 Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:13:30 pm by Intelligentsia
Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 23, 2014, 05:47:53 pm
I don't anybody expects a one sided game.  I'm interested to see how each co sch prepares
[/quote .

This is where I believe Batesville has a slight advantage.  Batesville is significantly different / more diverse than the past several years which may be a bit harder for coach Kelly; while it sounds like P.A. has a very similar strategy as in the past.  Both teams have fine coaching staffs, but P.A. may have more work to do.  Just my opinion.

michael2370

Intelligentsia

Quote from: PA Dad on November 23, 2014, 06:50:25 pm
None.  But, I'm not too concerned that Batesville will win by kicking field goals.

Field goals have a double impact when scored from great distance, IMO.  The 3 points AND a demoralizing effect in a defense that has forced a 4th down at the 25-30 yard line to have a guy comes in and still puts points on the board.  We have won or put out if reach a few big games over the past few years with multiple field goals.  I predict they play a part if the Pioneers pull off the upset Friday night.

PA Dad

I think that depends on how good the Batesville defense is. If they can shutdown or significantly slow down the PA offense, you may be right.  But, no one has been able to do that yet this season.  If PA trades touchdowns for Batesville field goals, PA wins.

Intelligentsia

Batesville's defense is pretty stingy, but P.A. will likely still score 35.  Batesville just needs to get to 36 - or let's say 37 = 4TDs and 3FGs.  Yes, I like that; Pioneers 37, Bruins 35 :D

#1jacketfan

Quote from: PA Dad on November 23, 2014, 07:34:31 pm
I think that depends on how good the Batesville defense is. If they can shutdown or significantly slow down the PA offense, you may be right.  But, no one has been able to do that yet this season.  If PA trades touchdowns for Batesville field goals, PA wins.
Is PA undefeated?

Intelligentsia

If Batesville holding P.A. to just 35 seems unlikely, you may recall that in the 2012 meeting that in the 4 games prior to the Batesville game, P.A. averaged 62 points per game; then were held to 21 by Batesville.  Who knows, P.A. may put up a truck load, but I just don't think they will score more than 35.  BTW, the only team to score more than 35 on Batesville this year was what one may consider a pretty good Jonesboro team.

PA Dad

No.  PA lost the first game of the season to Highland Park in Dallas.  The score was 48-42.  It was a great game.

I went to every PA game this year so I'm very familiar with their strengths and weaknesses.  Early in the year our QB would make bad decisions when pressured and turn the ball over.  That's what happened in the Highland Park game.  He got much better at making good decisions as the season progressed.

But, I have not seen Batesville play.  I know from their record, comments here, and watching a limited amount of video, that they are very good.   I just don't know how to call this game since I have not seen them play.

PA Dad

How did Jonesboro put 45 points on Batesville?

PA Dad

The fewest points scored by PA this year was 42 against Highland Park.  HP was ranked about 20th in Texas at the time.  The most points scored on HP other than PA was 28.  HP had a very good defense.

Batesville may have a better defense than HP.  We'll see.

I'm not concerned with what happened two years ago.  I know the win made Batesville fans feel good, but these are different teams.

Mtnview_14

It will be tough to out strategize Batesvilles coaching staff.  They prepare for every detail of the game.  I'm ready for this game. Two of the winningest teams in Arkansas.

walkingguy72396

Almost wish I could go too this game.

As I'm really going to be suprised if the Wynne vs Bebee game is even close.

Intelligentsia

In citing the 2012 game I was simply speaking to the ability of the Batesville coaches to exploit weaknesses in the opposing teams offense.  I failed to explain myself.  Indeed they are different teams, but ours is the same coaching staff / philosophy that led to holding a very high powered '12 P.A. offense to 21 points.  The overall talent level of this Pioneer defense is similar to '12, with a dab less powerful d-line and a slightly more effective secondary defense; overall, however, about the same.  It sounds like this year's P.A. QB is better than '12, and he has multiple targets - that accounts for adding 14 points to the P.A. total this year.  Just assumptions, but isn't that what this board's about  ;D

PA Dad

I understand where you're coming from.  For all we know the defenses may dominate and the score may be 15-14.  But, my "assumption" is that it will be a high scoring game.

Intelligentsia

I'll stick with both teams in the 30's.  This may be a Kelly-King chess match!!  Fun stuff - I do hope that it is close and that I don't choke on my popcorn :-* 

Mtnview_14

Batesville has the offensive capability for a shootout this time around. However, that is not the game Batesville wants to play.  Batesville doesn't want to get into a scoring war. And their defense unable to rest.   They need to be composed. Run their offense as usual and slow the game down.  As good as Batesville is,  they do not need to make it the fast, high scoring game that PA wants

Overdahill

Batesville reminds me of some good Lake Hamilton teams we played in the past. They will have a game plan to attack your weaknesses and the disciplined players to execute their plan. They will not beat themselves and they can make adjustments. They will be better prepared and with a deeper play book than most teams you face. I'm pulling for the bruins but it will be a 4 qtr battle to get the W

PA Dad

I have no doubt that this will be a tough game for PA.  But, I doubt that Batesville has played a team with the speed PA has or with the number of playmakers PA has.

Overdahill

PA Dad

That may be true.  I haven't seen Wynne play so I don't know.

Rampage72501

Quote from: PA Dad on November 23, 2014, 10:06:10 pm
I have no doubt that this will be a tough game for PA.  But, I doubt that Batesville has played a team with the speed PA has or with the number of playmakers PA has.

Quote from: Overdahill on November 23, 2014, 10:17:02 pm
Wynne

Add Jonesboro to the list.

PA Dad

If that's true it's encouraging since Batesville couldn't handle Jonesboro and nearly lost to Wynne.

NeverQuit

Quote from: PA Dad on November 23, 2014, 10:35:35 pm
If that's true it's encouraging since Batesville couldn't handle Jonesboro and nearly lost to Wynne.

Weeks and months ago.

Intelligentsia

November 23, 2014, 11:03:45 pm #88 Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:16:23 pm by Intelligentsia
I'm sure Jonesboro has improved since the Pioneer game, but this Pioneer team only vaguely resembles the team that played Jonesboro at the beginning of the season.   As he seems to do each year, King has them peaking in the playoffs.  Maybe this will live up to one of the best games I've ever witnessed, Thanksgiving at Alma, one year ago. 

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 23, 2014, 04:32:45 pmYou can destroy a young quarterbacks confidence of you put them in the game too early.

Which is what happened to Brandon Allen in 2012.

chaingang

If the Neers hold  PA to several 4 and outs and recover all the on side kicks......I don't think it's a good idea to be playing Batesville on a short field, and i will give them the field goal nod......Neers by 6 in a close one.

The_Pioneer

Your logic is staggering.  You lost to the only decent team you played this year....

hogrock

Quote from: The_Pioneer on November 24, 2014, 07:18:50 am

Your logic is staggering.  You lost to the only decent team you played this year....

Your denial is staggering...PA lost to one of the premier teams in Texas, on their home field, by 6 points & totally dominated CF 44-6. Seems some people would rather live on their past accomplishments than present reality.

MoTownDog

As much as I would like to see Batesville win State, I'm afraid PA is too much to handle this year.  IF, Batesville can get every onside kick and play a flawless game they may be able to beat them though with their style of play.

MDXPHD

Quote from: hogrock on November 24, 2014, 09:40:56 am

Your denial is staggering...PA lost to one of the premier teams in Texas, on their home field, by 6 points & totally dominated CF 44-6. Seems some people would rather live on their past accomplishments than present reality.

You mean they dominated the two seed from the south? Quite an accomplishment.

Overdahill

I'm a PA fan and I know we will have to play better than last Friday to get past batesville. CFV made mistakes that hurt themselves that batesville does not make

Mtnview_14

PA has played some talented out of state competition and faired very well.  However,  I do not believe they have been tested since and that could be costly.  Batesville plays the same physical type of football that many Texas teams play and they rarely make mental errors.  Batesville has also proven that they do not panic when they are down after a slow start. 

PA Dad

My logic is impeccable. All I am saying is that Batesville Has had problems playing teams with good speed. PA is certainly speedy. That logic Has nothing to do with who PA has played or how many games they have won or lost.

Your logic suggests that PA will lose because they lost to a good team. Of course, that logic can also be applied to Batesville since they lost to a good team.  Neither of those propositions is logical.

#1jacketfan

Quote from: PA Dad on November 24, 2014, 01:49:52 pm

My logic is impeccable. All I am saying is that Batesville Has had problems playing teams with good speed. PA is certainly speedy. That logic Has nothing to do with who PA has played or how many games they have won or lost.

Your logic suggests that PA will lose because they lost to a good team. Of course, that logic can also be applied to Batesville since they lost to a good team.  Neither of those propositions is logical.
I have'nt seen PA play this year....I know they have to be good or they would'nt be where they are.....just as the other 3 teams.....Does PA's QB handle pressure very well.....cause he will have it to deal with?

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 23, 2014, 09:01:47 pm
In citing the 2012 game I was simply speaking to the ability of the Batesville coaches to exploit weaknesses in the opposing teams offense.  I failed to explain myself.  Indeed they are different teams, but ours is the same coaching staff / philosophy that led to holding a very high powered '12 P.A. offense to 21 points.  The overall talent level of this Pioneer defense is similar to '12, with a dab less powerful d-line and a slightly more effective secondary defense; overall, however, about the same.  It sounds like this year's P.A. QB is better than '12, and he has multiple targets - that accounts for adding 14 points to the P.A. total this year.  Just assumptions, but isn't that what this board's about  ;D

I know they are good at this otherwise they wouldn't be where they are year in and year out.  However, this wasn't hard in 2012, PA had ZERO running game in 2012. That is slightly different this year.  With that being said, I think this is easily going to be the game of the year in 5A.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas