• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dardanelle and Pottsville Game

Started by mountainman, January 15, 2019, 10:21:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainman

POTTSVILLE ----- 46

DARDANELLE ----- 21

Gray lizard

Saw Dardanelle for the first time last night.  They play slow ball and will wait for a good shot.  They have a boy that can hurt you if left open on the three.
I see now how they have won so many games.  Slow play affects good shooting teams. Pottsville shut down their shooter and scored on their inside game. Not like Pottsville to not shoot a lot of threes, but the coach had a good game plan and it worked.  I see now how all their games are so low scoring.  They reduce shots per game by over half.

beach bum

Quote from: Gray lizard on January 16, 2019, 10:48:29 am
Saw Dardanelle for the first time last night.  They play slow ball and will wait for a good shot.  They have a boy that can hurt you if left open on the three.
I see now how they have won so many games.  Slow play affects good shooting teams. Pottsville shut down their shooter and scored on their inside game. Not like Pottsville to not shoot a lot of threes, but the coach had a good game plan and it worked.  I see now how all their games are so low scoring.  They reduce shots per game by over half.

I feel sorry for those poor kids that have to play in that system.... Never getting to open up their full skill set and potential because a coach who holds back their development. Basketball is won with instinctive in game decisions on the fly in tight spaces and tight moments. That style is counterproductive to reaching your full potential as a player and team. That will not work at all when a good team slices that apart at regionals or first game of state for them. Last night showed that too.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: beach bum on January 16, 2019, 02:54:32 pm

I feel sorry for those poor kids that have to play in that system.... Never getting to open up their full skill set and potential because a coach who holds back their development. Basketball is won with instinctive in game decisions on the fly in tight spaces and tight moments. That style is counterproductive to reaching your full potential as a player and team. That will not work at all when a good team slices that apart at regionals or first game of state for them. Last night showed that too.
That's a fair assessment. Pottsville completely dominated this game in part due to near mistake free play from their players and in part due to the style play you both mention from the Lizards. Dardy players seemed handcuffed due to that slow methodical play. Many times players had some good chances to score inside only to pass it back out over and over.

beach bum

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on January 16, 2019, 03:30:29 pm
That's a fair assessment. Pottsville completely dominated this game in part due to near mistake free play from their players and in part due to the style play you both mention from the Lizards. Dardy players seemed handcuffed due to that slow methodical play. Many times players had some good chances to score inside only to pass it back out over and over.

That's exactly what I am talking about.... I have never been a fan of "dictating pace" in either way fast or slow. As I said basketball is so instinctive just let the players play within the flow of the offense as long as good & quality, open shots are being taken within a kids skill set no matter when the shot is taken. I would have felt so handcuffed being told that wondering if your coach is going to yell at you for simply missing a shot once he did not like even if it was wide open. You can't put a value on confidence I guess is the main thing I am saying and a purposeful slow pace takes away that confidence.

LRRandy

pot meet kettle.

During the first few years of the Baptist Prep dynasty era, many teams held the ball while trying to figure out the best way to play against 2 seven footers. I saw every game for 3 years. The worst offender by far was Pottsville. When they had those obnoxious 5 foot twin guards they would hold the ball or weave between the free throw line and half court rarely looking at the basket.

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on January 16, 2019, 07:47:27 pm
pot meet kettle.

During the first few years of the Baptist Prep dynasty era, many teams held the ball while trying to figure out the best way to play against 2 seven footers. I saw every game for 3 years. The worst offender by far was Pottsville. When they had those obnoxious 5 foot twin guards they would hold the ball or weave between the free throw line and half court rarely looking at the basket.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Ozark's coach go the other route and actually upset Baptist Prep once out of the many meetings between the Hillbillies and Prep by speeding up the game and pressing and trapping as well as going run and gun on offense?? It honestly made more sense to speed the big guys up and try to tire them out. Although, many tactics were tried with little success to slow down Prep over the years. Not much anybody could do with that much skill on the court   ;D

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on January 16, 2019, 08:32:53 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Ozark's coach go the other route and actually upset Baptist Prep once out of the many meetings between the Hillbillies and Prep by speeding up the game and pressing and trapping as well as going run and gun on offense?? It honestly made more sense to speed the big guys up and try to tire them out. Although, many tactics were tried with little success to slow down Prep over the years. Not much anybody could do with that much skill on the court   ;D
Ozark played really well that night. They were trying to get up as many shots as they could. They were on fire from three and played virtually error free ball. Tip o' the cap. They earned that game with their play.

Gray lizard

Quote from: LRRandy on January 16, 2019, 07:47:27 pm
pot meet kettle.

Do you think it is bad for a coach to try and figure out how to beat another team. In no way was I downing a 17-3 team.  I support any coaching with in the rules of the game that gives a team a chance to win a game.  I don't care if they only take one shot. Is it fun to watch no, but it is more fun to win.

beach bum

Quote from: Gray lizard on January 17, 2019, 07:52:00 am
Do you think it is bad for a coach to try and figure out how to beat another team. In no way was I downing a 17-3 team.  I support any coaching with in the rules of the game that gives a team a chance to win a game.  I don't care if they only take one shot. Is it fun to watch no, but it is more fun to win.

Well they won't win when it matters the most in late February playing that style.....

Gray lizard

Quote from: beach bum on January 17, 2019, 09:20:08 am
Well they won't win when it matters the most in late February playing that style.....
I agree but a good coach will do what it takes to give his team the best chance to win.

LRRandy

Quote from: Gray lizard on January 17, 2019, 07:52:00 am
I agree that yes, you need to try to find a way to win. Yes, it is not fun to watch. My problem was that the stall mentality has kids focusing so much on killing the clock that many open shots are passed up. Several times by many teams I have seen a player get the ball around the free throw line after a cut that would have had a wide open shot. His back would be to the basket looking for the best/safest pass out to a wing when if he would have looked he had an easy 15 footer. You need to try and score when you can. A moral victory of a 28-24 boring loss is no better than losing by 20.

scrapdig

That must suck

Gray lizard

January 17, 2019, 11:56:46 am #13 Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:44:40 pm by Gray lizard
I watched a Dardanelle girls game many years ago that was 2 to 4 final. I think it was Russellville and I think Russellvile won.

When BP had the 2 7 footers they also had two other boys that could keep pressure on the ball. BP did not allow many shots and the bigs could block 3 point attempts from the corners.

While watching BP warm up I noticed the presence of the 7 footer is still there.  The arch of their current players shot is way higher than any other team.

LRRandy

Quote from: Gray lizard on January 17, 2019, 11:56:46 am
I watched a Dardanelle girls game many years ago that was 2 to 4 final. I think it was Russellville and I think Russellvile won.

When BP had the 2 7 footers they also had two other boys that could keep pressure on the ball. BP did not allow many shots and the bigs could block 3 point attempts from the corners.

While watching BP warm up I noticed the presence of the 7 footer is still there. The arch of their current players shoot is way higher than any other team.
the nets on the gun are set very high.  ;D

RamblinRazorWreck

January 17, 2019, 07:13:20 pm #15 Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:40:05 am by RamblinRazorWreck
Quote from: Gray lizard on January 17, 2019, 11:56:46 am

While watching BP warm up I noticed the presence of the 7 footer is still there.  The arch of their current players shot is way higher than any other team.

Sounds logical, but I am afraid this is over-thinking it.  All of their main shooters but McBride, were playing JR high when the Vanover boys were around.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas