• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010-2011 Arkansas Basketball

Started by AB™, December 08, 2010, 06:34:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerHitter

Can't find the game in Jonesboro. They showing the Grizzlies in FSS. From looking at the score, it's just as well.

Indiana Jones

Romeo

Romeo

Bondfan4ever

It is more than shameful how far this program has fallen and is falling.

Indiana Jones

Time for a movie
Time is too valuable to waste watching this garbage

RD™

Bondfan4ever

HomerHitter

Following the game on the computer. I've been following Razorback basketball since the days of Duddy Waller. This is as bad as I have ever seen it. I'm not sure Pel should finish the year. He's a heck of a nice guy, but he is above his head at this level.

Romeo

I'm at the worst state you could possibly be as a fan. I'm not even angry just sad for the players and the program. If this is what Jeff Long and some fans want the Arkansas program to be than so be it.

RD™

The players have quit. Rsvl, I don't care what you say, or how close to the situation you are, the players have quit, they want him gone, the fan base wants him gone, the Razorback foundation wants him gone. No one cares if we lose the recruiting class (most won't make it to campus anyways).

Razorback Basketball is set back 35 years and it will take time, patience to fix this.

Bondfan4ever

I sure do miss the glory days from 1990-95.  Arkansas basketball was well respected and feared.  We've turned into a laughingstock.  I wonder what Dana Altman must be thinking now?

HomerHitter

For several years, Orville Henry was the program apologist for the Hogs. Wally Hall was the up-and-coming tell-it-like-it-is. In recent years, he has become the official media apologist. I wonder how he will spin this one. I can see the article now: "Hogs getting close. Need to hit more shots, get more rebounds, play better defense. If they cure those problems, they can make it to the Big Dance."

It's time for the apologies to end. If the basketball program doesn't get a big shake-up, then the AD needs to go. This is bad.

Bondfan4ever

Sizewise, this team compares to the 1992-93 team that reached the Sweet 16 and barely lost to North Carolina.  Now that team had heart and desire.  I literally cried when that game ended because of how close we came to knocking off the #1 seed out of the East.  I don't care what he says, John Pelphrey has not embraced the program or the history.  However, what he has embraced is apathy, and to this Razorback fan and I would imagine the vast majority of the Razorback fans, that is not acceptable!!!

Indiana Jones

That Dwarf Hall can stick his excuses in a pipe and smoke it.

CACKY

FIRE HIM!  Let's cut our losses and  turn the team over to Rob Evans and start looking for a coach!!!

HomerHitter

I don't think the current AD will pull the trigger on Pel. My prediction: We will go 6 - 10 in the conference, lose in the first round of the tournament, miss both the NCAA and NIT and then will give Pel another extension because he has this top class coming next year. They will arrive, be poorly coached, two of them will leave after one year, and he will stay another year because he has another top class waiting in the wings.

zebradynasty

Wow I am not sure what's worst the team or the lack basketball knowledge of some of the fans. If you think tonight's loss was about coaching....ANYTIME this Arkansas team gets on the floor with a talented team this can happen. True this same FL team struggled against Auburn but one can see FL has a lot more talent than Arkansas. It's a repeating theme. This team does not have talent look at the Senior class! Maybe if all the players that left the program or were ran off had stayed...who knows but the bottom line is coaching isn't causing us to lose.

That sweet 16 team mention had future NBA star Corliss Williams and Scotty Thurman on it! There is NOBODY on this team close to having that much talent as either on of those guys! The criticism for Pel should be why there's no talent the X's and O's is just a symptom.

1-Adam-12

I barely wasted time on it.  I was on the road and when I heard the score, I listened to a hockey game the rest of the way.

RATTLER43

I still follow them no matter what. It is not great right but I know it will get better with next year's recruits and if not then with a new coach within 3 years. Either way we will be able to see if Pel can coach talent. If not, Long will be forced to get a new coach and they will have that group for a couple of years.

Bondfan4ever

Zebra, I call * on that last post.  How can you say that coaching has nothing to do with losing when the coach is the one who recruits the players.  Pelphrey recruited Courtney Fortson(gone after 2 years), Jason Henry(gone after 1 year), Montrell McDonald(gone after 5 games), Andre Clark(gone after 1 year), Brandon Moore(gone after 1 year).  Need I go on?  I am tired of hearing Pelphrey and his assistants tell the fans "Just wait til next year".  As far as that 92-93 team, Corliss was the only McDonalds All American of the two players I mentioned.  There is some talent on this team, but it is not being utlilized the way it should.  As far as my knowledge of the teams and its history, I've watched just a few games over the past 30 years.  Give me just a little credit, and plus, I have every Razorback NCAA/NIT tournament game since 1993 recorded, so I think I have something to contribute to this post.  One last thing..........as Razorback fans and alumni, I think we have every right to be hacked off at the performance of the team.  The fans certainly deserve better than what we saw this evening.

Romeo

January 22, 2011, 10:10:47 pm #221 Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 10:12:36 pm by Romeo
There's one thing some people don't understand. It doesn't matter if you have talent, if you have a marginal to below average coach that players don't respect or respond to your going to underachieve every single time.

RATTLER43

Quote from: Bondfan4ever on January 22, 2011, 08:59:57 pm
I sure do miss the glory days from 1990-95.  Arkansas basketball was well respected and feared.  We've turned into a laughingstock.  I wonder what Dana Altman must be thinking now?

I loved the Hawkins/Shepherd group. I loved the Beck-led group as well. But my preference of eras is the Moncrief/Reed/Walker/Robertson Sutton-led groups. Yes, the Hogs were well-respected in both of those eras. As you can see, I really like hard-working defensive minded guards.

Bondfan4ever

Rattler, now those guys you mentioned were awesome players.  I still remember the 12 rebound game Hawk had against Holy Cross in the 1993 NCAA Tournament.  I also remember his 21 point performance in the 1992 2nd round game in Milwaukee against Memphis State.  We were never known for being a tall team, but my goodness, we had guards that would out defense and out shoot the other team!!

fastdrop

Quote from: Indiana Jones on January 22, 2011, 08:31:55 pm
Time for a movie
Should of watched the Tigers beat UAB today.... =)

RATTLER43

I hope Chosen 1 does not chastise me for having to enjoy discussing those guys in the wake of tonight's poor performance. I loved Hawk. We almost pulled off that upset of Carolina. I have used that analogy with many of the teams I have coached.

Hawkins, Shepherd, Howell, Beck, Mayberry, etc. continued the guard excellence from the previous two decades. Brewer, Delph, Moncrief, Reed, Walker, Robertson, etc. Remember when Robertson took over the SWC tourney that year? The entire team overachieved that week!

CACKY

wait for next years class--i'm so sick of waiting for next year.  In this instance, you're waiting on one that may not graduate, one that may be in jail, one that needs to  gain 50 lbs and one that a kid  from Jonesboro shut down last night.  If you can't dominate in 6A, how are you gonna scratch in the SEC? 

Bondfan4ever

Rattler, as far as that Sweet 16 matchup w/ UNC, we were two mental mistakes and one big man away from playing Cincinnati in the East Regional Final.  They weren't superstars, but I always thought that Hawkins and Shepherd were excellent leaders and role models for the younger players like Williamson and Thurman.  Beck was another one that I enjoyed watching.  He left everything out on the floor.

RATTLER43

Yes. It is hard to explain the value of that leadership. I have seen it at all levels, even the NBA. Got to have it to succeed. Yes, Beck was fun to watch due to the intensity and the savvy. He was the glue.

Who in this group could be glue? Who leaves everything on the floor game in and game out? Who plays above their head regularly? Who provides the leadership daily in practice and in games? It may be Pel's lack of proper recruiting or it may be that they do not have that "it" quality. I, too, worry about his incoming class as well. Madden's behavior is well-documented. Hope he has matured.

Bondfan4ever

Cacky and Rattler, excellent points!

RATTLER43

I think the incoming class does have talent. But our teams will have to have those things that the above-mentioned kids had. Many teams have talent. Those intangibles and coaching allow some to rise to the top.  Only time will tell with this group.

Brian G

I've never been more thankful for a snow makeup high school game on a Saturday. Spared me the carnage.

gatecrasher

I will not watch the farce that is the current state of Razorback basketball until John Pelphrey is no longer the coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I would rather be flogged with a bullnettle whip than watch anymore of that crap. My daughter's 5th grade pee wee team can set a screen (we can't), play better defense and rebound better.

I saw a 6th grade team today that scored more than the Hogs did today. As a fan who has ticket stubs, programs and other memorabilia from three Final Fours, a national title and runner-up, it is absolutely sickening. You couldn't give me season tickets right now. I would rather watch reruns of Barney.

Bondfan4ever

Gate, I think that Barney could probably coach our team better.

RATTLER43

While I share Gate's pain, I will continue to watch and cringe then vent to my family. Just think; it might turn out like when Nutt left and we got BP. I watched all of Nutt's games and I will watch Pel's. I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

HomerHitter

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 22, 2011, 11:11:42 pm
While I share Gate's pain, I will continue to watch and cringe then vent to my family. Just think; it might turn out like when Nutt left and we got BP. I watched all of Nutt's games and I will watch Pel's. I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

No, you're a fan and that's what fans do. I never quit going to games during the Jack Crowe/Joe Kines/Danny Ford debacle and if the Hogs falter next year (which I don't expect) I'll still be at every game, home and road. The program is bigger than any one coach. I'm not sure Jeff Long has figured that out yet, but he will. That's why even in HDN's last year, attendance was still strong. Regardless of the off the field problems, fans still showed up. Fans aren't going to the basketball games and it probably takes more of a winner to get those fans out than it does in football. We'll keep pulling for them to get out of this hole and I'll be watching win or lose.

Chosen 1

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 22, 2011, 11:11:42 pm
The game wasn't on here tonight. And it was the best thing that could've happened to me.

Hoghead

On a good night I can drop 43 points on a team by myself. Pel has showed us over the years he can't win in the SEC with the guys he recruits. The program is stuck in a quagmire ! Nolan told us it would be this way.

Rulesman

Quote from: fastdrop on January 22, 2011, 10:34:11 pm
Quote from: Indiana Jones on January 22, 2011, 08:31:55 pm
Time for a movie
Should of watched the Tigers beat UAB today.... =)
+1

...and this thread is hilarious, too!

blue4hire

Quote from: RATTLER43 on January 22, 2011, 10:58:48 pm
I think the incoming class does have talent. But our teams will have to have those things that the above-mentioned kids had. Many teams have talent. Those intangibles and coaching allow some to rise to the top.  Only time will tell with this group.
Remember the boxing movie Gladiator from the early 90's?  "Talent is a common thing.  People waste it every day."

RATTLER43

I just try to keep it in perspective:  I watched my Rattlers when we started the program back in the mid-nineties and we were not very good. Then came the middle part of last decade when we were mired in the midst of the state's longest losing streak. I still went out and cheered those teams. Now we just finished off an undefeated championship season and I still cheered. I am a fan no matter what. I will assess negative stuff and positive stuff but will cheer and support them always.  Pel or new coach....Go Hogs!

Romeo

There might possibly be more problems with our recruits than just Madden. BJ Young was ejected last night for the second time this month for throwing a punch: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/article_3383c565-72ed-5e57-84a0-160113e544d7.html

Brian G

I would not wager a penny on his arrival on this campus as an active player.

CACKY

Attention all UofA students--open tryouts for unused basketball scholarships.  If you can walk and stay out of jail, you, too, can proudly wear the red and white!

Brian G

They've already got one on the roster that could contribute a little more.

fastdrop

basketball players do not grow up wanting to be Razorbacks, Tigers, Gaters, Rebels(bears) or even wildcats anymore..... they just want to be billionaires in the pros and have their posse.

InYoGrill

Quote from: fastdrop on January 23, 2011, 03:18:40 pm
basketball players do not grow up wanting to be Razorbacks, Tigers, Gaters, Rebels(bears) or even wildcats anymore..... they just want to be billionaires in the pros and have their posse.

You for got the multi too's and bling bling. Yo yo grill, lol!

fastdrop

Each state needs a semi-pro basketball team .... nobody believes in student basketball athletes anymore. Colleges could use their resources for things that relate to college such as graduating teachers, doctors, engineers etc..etc.

InYoGrill

Where be dat Reveler kid? You know the hog messiah, lol. Venny would be puttin the smackdown on him.

InYoGrill

Time to start all over now! Fire the whole staff and tell the team to go fulltime in the classroom the rest of the season. Let the top 15 in the HYPER be on the team and let Scotty Thurman take over.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas