• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creating the old "5A" with current realignment/enrollment numbers

Started by Sweet Feet, March 24, 2019, 10:01:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

With the old 5A being the current 7A and 6A combined, this is what it would look like with today's realignment numbers and geography

5A North
•   Bentonville
•   Bentonville West
•   Fayetteville
•   Rogers
•   Rogers Heritage
•   Siloam Springs
•   Springdale
•   Springdale Har-Ber

5A East
•   Cabot
•   Jacksonville
•   Jonesboro
•   Marion
•   Mountain Home
•   Searcy
•   Sylvan Hills
•   West Memphis

5A West
•   Conway
•   FS Northside
•   FS Southside
•   Greenwood
•   LR Catholic
•   LR Hall
•   Russellville
•   Van Buren

5A South
•   Benton
•   Bryant
•   El Dorado
•   Lake Hamilton
•   LR Central
•   North Little Rock
•   Pine Bluff
•   Sheridan

Walter

I don't know how I'd do it but the east only has 1 now 7a team, one of the biggest in the state, in it. The west is toughest on Siloam Springs, who I believe brought a lawsuit many years ago.

sevenof400

Siloam Springs, Mountain Home and West Memphis should have been forced to 'split' their schools years ago and form two 4A schools.
This would have avoided all sorts of problems.
And while it would have generated a few new ones, it would have been for the greater good.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Walter on March 25, 2019, 07:01:58 am
I don't know how I'd do it but the east only has 1 now 7a team, one of the biggest in the state, in it. The west is toughest on Siloam Springs, who I believe brought a lawsuit many years ago.

Wasn't Siloam springs lawsuit what caused the 6a/7a combined conference mess?

sevenof400

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 25, 2019, 11:18:53 am
Wasn't Siloam springs lawsuit what caused the 6a/7a combined conference mess?

I thought that was Mountain Home....

HorseFeathers

friscokid

I know these are current schools, but don't forget to combine Fair and McClellan for the next cycle. That'll shuffle the deck chairs a bit.

Bomber_Believer

Mountain Home splitting is the stupidest thing I've read in a long time.  Why not force Cotter to consolidate with Mountain Home, or make any number of the small schools around Harrison close and merge with them.  Flippin and Yellville could consolidate and form a 5a school.  See all those things sound about as smart as Mtn Home splitting.

SouthpawSensation

March 28, 2019, 10:42:55 pm #8 Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:00:13 am by SouthpawSensation
The last attempt at combining the 7A and 6A football schools, there were five 6A schools that were adamantly against it — Benton, Sheridan, Lake Hamilton, Mountain Home and Siloam Springs.
The Lake Hamilton superintendent got up at the AAA meeting and let his voice be heard, then those five schools got enough smaller schools to go against the proposal that it couldn't get the two-thirds vote needs to pass.
Have those schools changed their stance enough to make it happen? Well, the proposal has to get through the activity district meetings before it gets through the big meeting this summer.

sevenof400

Quote from: Bomber_Believer on March 28, 2019, 08:08:18 pm
Mountain Home splitting is the stupidest thing I've read in a long time.  Why not force Cotter to consolidate with Mountain Home, or make any number of the small schools around Harrison close and merge with them.  Flippin and Yellville could consolidate and form a 5a school.  See all those things sound about as smart as Mtn Home splitting.

Before you dig your hole any deeper, check out the average bus ride time for your away games within your conference.

Bomber_Believer

March 29, 2019, 08:55:18 am #10 Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:03:00 am by Bomber_Believer
Hardly digging a hole.  I've been on those bus rides so don't try to tell me about them.  There is no good way to get anywhere from Mtn Home.  Being a 4A doesn't do much to alleviate travel concerns.  Examples Rivercrest, Gosnell, 3 hours, Brookland, Trumann, 2.5 hours,. Closest trip would still be about an hour away.  Going west closest trip would be Green Forest 1.5 Put us in the 4a-2 and we can make the 3 and a half hour rides to Stuttgart and Lonoke and 3 hours to Mills. Not to mention that if you split Mtn Home into two 4 A schools you are now creating travel nightmares for 2 schools instead of one. Live in Mtn Home and make the trips before you try to dictate what's best for Mtn Home.  That's why the AAA doesn't get it.

OB11

Made

Flippin and yellville could consolidate and still be in the bottom half of 4a....not real sure where you are getting 5a. Could even add cotter into that and still wouldn't be in 5a with 501 students.

Mt home could split into 2 4a schools and still have more kids than flippin and yellville combined.

Best case scenario? Split mt home into 3 3a schools would be in the top of 3a with numbers and plenty of schools close enough to play.

They cold do what another 3a school does, go to this school for basketball and this one for football, they could even have an arts school.

Bomber_Believer

The combining comment want intended to infer that any of those schools would make a 5a school.  Just referencing that changing a school district just to fit into an athletic conference is not logical.

sevenof400

Quote from: Bomber_Believer on March 29, 2019, 08:55:18 am
Hardly digging a hole.  I've been on those bus rides so don't try to tell me about them.  There is no good way to get anywhere from Mtn Home.  Being a 4A doesn't do much to alleviate travel concerns.  Examples Rivercrest, Gosnell, 3 hours, Brookland, Trumann, 2.5 hours,. Closest trip would still be about an hour away.  Going west closest trip would be Green Forest 1.5 Put us in the 4a-2 and we can make the 3 and a half hour rides to Stuttgart and Lonoke and 3 hours to Mills. Not to mention that if you split Mtn Home into two 4 A schools you are now creating travel nightmares for 2 schools instead of one. Live in Mtn Home and make the trips before you try to dictate what's best for Mtn Home.  That's why the AAA doesn't get it.

Sorry for the delay in responding.....

I thoroughly disagree with this point because right off the bat, splitting these schools would create 25% of a conference.

Living in the 5A West, we too get to enjoy those 3+ hour bus rides to Siloam Springs.  And now with Beebe in the 5A West, make that 4 hours.

The point here is that more schools within the 4A classification size will reduce the travel of ALL schools.  What I should have made clear is AAA needs to get away from fixed classification sizes (this is a large part of the problem).  But putting that aside, try these

Mountain Home to Heber Springs: 87 miles
Mountain Home to Batesville: 73 miles (includes Batesville and Southside - Batesville)
Mountain Home to Highland: 59 miles

That's just a few trips (admittedly selected at random) - all far shorter. 

The bottom line here is this - if the old 7A schools are going to be left alone (which seems to be the case), the old 6A schools need to adjust and stop complaining about inequities and take action (within their control) to combat the issue.

If each of the old 6A schools (mainly thinking about Mountain Home, Siloam Springs, West Memphis, Texarakana - but not exclusively) would divide into 2 4A schools, the number of schools playing at the 4A level would increase and (as a result) decrease the travel demands.

This is a far better solution than the current mess the AAA finds itself in.

Walter

I guess what you are proposing is that those schools build new and separate school facilities? Better yet let them create an A team and a B team with different coaches. one is defiantly cheaper than the other but neither would ever be accepted.

sevenof400

Quote from: Walter on March 30, 2019, 01:02:14 pm
I guess what you are proposing is that those schools build new and separate school facilities? Better yet let them create an A team and a B team with different coaches. one is defiantly cheaper than the other but neither would ever be accepted.

Not at all.  Facilities can be shared among multiple teams.  Game schedules accordingly set to minimize / eliminate any conflicts.   
It can be done and the students would benefit tremendously as you double the number of opportunities for athletes and extra curriculars at each school.   

The larger point is look how much damage was done to other schools because of the non sense ends AAA went to in order to 'address' the supposed inequalities faced by some of the old 6A teams.  All of this because AAA believes (erroneously) that each classification must have a certain number of schools within each classification.  That thinking (the AAA way of thinking) needs serious review, oversight, revision and reform.   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 30, 2019, 08:35:59 pm
Not at all.  Facilities can be shared among multiple teams.  Game schedules accordingly set to minimize / eliminate any conflicts.   
It can be done and the students would benefit tremendously as you double the number of opportunities for athletes and extra curriculars at each school.   

The larger point is look how much damage was done to other schools because of the non sense ends AAA went to in order to 'address' the supposed inequalities faced by some of the old 6A teams.  All of this because AAA believes (erroneously) that each classification must have a certain number of schools within each classification.  That thinking (the AAA way of thinking) needs serious review, oversight, revision and reform.   

What would you propose the Number cutoffs be for each classification?

Currently just using the AAA numbers the smallest school in each classification has
7A: 1393
6a: 893
5a: 506
4a: 293
3a:190
2a: 126

Sweet Feet

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 30, 2019, 09:48:01 pm
What would you propose the Number cutoffs be for each classification?

Currently just using the AAA numbers the smallest school in each classification has
7A: 1393
6a: 893
5a: 506
4a: 293
3a:190
2a: 126

How would this be?
7A: 1000 and Above
6a: 800-999
5a: 600-799
4a: 400-599
3a: 200-399
2a: 199 and below
1a (8-man): remaining schools smaller.

friscokid

I think keeping the enrollment ranges at around 1.5 to 1 is fair for Arkansas.

Texas has a wider range from top to bottom within each class (6A is the worst, almost 3-to-1), but classes are split into Divisions I and II for football.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Sweet Feet on March 31, 2019, 05:08:30 pm
How would this be?
7A: 1000 and Above
6a: 800-999
5a: 600-799
4a: 400-599
3a: 200-399
2a: 199 and below
1a (8-man): remaining schools smaller.

Top 8 of current 6a would fight it tooth and nail

7a--24 teams Sylvan Hills would be smallest at 1003, Springdale would be largest 2413(include Catholic)
6a--13 teams(14 if you allow private schools to play where enrollment puts them)
5a--16 schools
4a--30 schools
3a--78 schools
2a--55 schools(includes the 8 man teams in it)

Sweet Feet

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 31, 2019, 06:22:48 pm
Top 8 of current 6a would fight it tooth and nail

7a--24 teams Sylvan Hills would be smallest at 1003, Springdale would be largest 2413(include Catholic)
6a--13 teams(14 if you allow private schools to play where enrollment puts them)
5a--16 schools
4a--30 schools
3a--78 schools
2a--55 schools(includes the 8 man teams in it)

Hmm....okay, theres 208 high school football teams. How about dividing by 6 and getting 34-35 team classifications?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas