• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is ready for basketball to start up

Started by biglion1985, November 06, 2015, 02:57:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

biglion1985

Longfellow

Well when football season ends in about 5 minutes, I'll be ready for some Gator basketball

teachers pet

Longfellow

Two Rivers boys started practice at 10. We'll have it again at 4. Dardanelle don't want none come Tuesday

biglion1985

Yeah we have to wait until after friday and then that tuesday we start

TheOfficial

We've already been playing for a month at Valley Springs and Bergman!

Head Lion

Quote from: TheOfficial on November 07, 2015, 08:59:26 pm
kinda of travesty for kids at a 3A school to not have FB. JMO

Missco

No reason at all for a 3A school not to have football. I love basketball as much as anybody. However, a school district that big that doesn't have it has had selfish leadership.

Head Lion

FB has not hurt our BB program 1 bit, won 2 of last 3 Regional Championships. It has helped our community grow, brought a good diversity to it & even a couple of players for basketball. A progressive school & community has to offer all kids an outlet for their talents. Love basketball as much as anyone, not enough for 7-8 boys to represent a 3A school in athletics.

Head Lion

Quote from: Head Lion on November 07, 2015, 09:08:59 pm
Alpena-Zinc doesn't count as real games, my 6th grade squad would throttle them.

Baller_34

Oh now HL, your 6th grade squad can't b that good. Do u travel with them or what?

Paperman

TheOfficial

Ask basketball coaches if football affects their programs negatively.  We love our basketball in this part of the state and its not just the schools that don't want basketball but our kids and parents as well.  If a kid wants to play football they go to Harrison.  If they want to be successful in basketball they go to Valley and Bergman.  It's not a coincidence that Valley has 8 state championships and many more finals.  Add Flippin and Bergman to that list and you have pretty good odds that one of those 3 are representing our conference deep into the state tourney more years than not.

TheOfficial

Quote from: Head Lion on November 07, 2015, 10:19:20 pm
Quote from: Head Lion on November 07, 2015, 09:08:59 pm
Alpena-Zinc doesn't count as real games, my 6th grade squad would throttle them.

Bergman and Valley haven't been playing cupcakes.  Providence Academy would win the 3A state in boys this year if they were part of that league.

pioneers

Quote from: Baller_34 on November 07, 2015, 10:28:14 pm
Oh now HL, your 6th grade squad can't b that good. Do u travel with them or what?
I would put his 6th grade team up against any other school 6th grade team in the state.

Baller_34

Wow are u serious pioneer, that's a big statement. Flippin and Bergman will b down this year. Valley is the only hope for that conference.

TheOfficial

Quote from: Baller_34 on November 08, 2015, 08:19:06 am
Wow are u serious pioneer, that's a big statement. Flippin and Bergman will b down this year. Valley is the only hope for that conference.

No, Marshall is very good this year. 

pioneers

Yeah head lion has spent countless hours with these kids and have played in big aau tournaments and have played in older  divisions since 2nd grade so now when they play kids their own age they are very tough to handle.

Head Lion

Just a little jabbing, we love our hoops at Manila as much as anyone. As a board member, my belief is in the future. The schools with the most kids & opportunities will survive budget cuts & consolidations. People are sick of taxes & want more centralized everything. I work for the Post Office & part of the biggest restructuring in the history of our country. I know teams from that conference love their hoops. I just think you go forward & attract students with a multitude of offerings in & out of classroom or you are going backwards. JMO

Baller_34

Head Lion

A little, since 2nd grade we have been to play the best in Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis & LR. Trying to prepare them for the best. You never know when a private school will get 2 All American recruits, I mean new students. Most times have played up 1-2 years in divisions, they pretty fair group of kids.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Head Lion on November 08, 2015, 09:22:58 am
A little, since 2nd grade we have been to play the best in Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis & LR. Trying to prepare them for the best. You never know when a private school will get 2 All American recruits, I mean new students. Most times have played up 1-2 years in divisions, they pretty fair group of kids.

Your sports programs are made at the Elementary and middle school level!!

Head Lion

Quote from: TheOfficial on November 08, 2015, 07:46:42 am
Ask basketball coaches if football affects their programs negatively.  We love our basketball in this part of the state and its not just the schools that don't want basketball but our kids and parents as well.  If a kid wants to play football they go to Harrison.  If they want to be successful in basketball they go to Valley and Bergman.  It's not a coincidence that Valley has 8 state championships and many more finals.  Add Flippin and Bergman to that list and you have pretty good odds that one of those 3 are representing our conference deep into the state tourney more years than not.
My belief and is just mine, if a child wants to be successful at ANYTHING, Manila is the place for your child and the whole family. Made playoffs in FB, first time in school history and unbelievable exciting, made state in cross country, had 12 kids make ALL Region Choir, been to state 12 of last 13 years in baseball, won 2 of last 3 Regional basketball championships. I will take those achievements over just focusing on 1 thing. Plus every kid that walks out your school door take $7400 dollars with them, that is JOBS for your local community. This is how I believe and as long as I am member of the school board here we will work to create more opportunities for kids, drama, speech, band, choir & the whole spectrum. This is just my vision and belief, doesn't make it right. Back to subject tho, LOVE ALL MY LIONS and am ready for hoops when football ends.

TheOfficial

Quote from: Head Lion on November 08, 2015, 10:48:07 am
My belief and is just mine, if a child wants to be successful at ANYTHING, Manila is the place for your child and the whole family. Made playoffs in FB, first time in school history and unbelievable exciting, made state in cross country, had 12 kids make ALL Region Choir, been to state 12 of last 13 years in baseball, won 2 of last 3 Regional basketball championships. I will take those achievements over just focusing on 1 thing. Plus every kid that walks out your school door take $7400 dollars with them, that is JOBS for your local community. This is how I believe and as long as I am member of the school board here we will work to create more opportunities for kids, drama, speech, band, choir & the whole spectrum. This is just my vision and belief, doesn't make it right. Back to subject tho, LOVE ALL MY LIONS and am ready for hoops when football ends.

Every kid that transfers to Valley also brings $7400 with them.  They lose very, very few to football.  Valley has a top notch FFA program that rivals no one.  Successful tennis, track and cross country.  Volleyball has one of the top teams in the state this year.  Softball team competes nationally!  Academics are top notch.  Great people, great community.  I understand you are a football fan but football is not an end all be all!  Valley Springs brings in more gate in a season from basketball than Harrison does for football.

Head Lion

Never did say FB was everything in life, but we play 50-55 kids & have 75 dressed out every Thursday & Friday night. That is a bunch of parents that go home happy. What has been been y'all's growth rate the last 10 years?

Missco

Lol, Head Lion, is a fan of kids and Manila. He is basketball to the core. It just boils down to school's that are big enough to have football should. Why limit kid's. The same goes for other thing's and sport's.

Head Lion

November 08, 2015, 04:20:28 pm #26 Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:22:12 pm by Head Lion
Missco, helped convince me on this argument. I LOVE Manila basketball more than anyone! I would go to games tho & see 15-22 kids sitting the bench, that is not good. We had to give more kids opportunities, it has been amazing. We have struggle mightily in FB, but that is what makes all the work worth it that much more. We have gained over 100 kids the last 3 years. On next years school choice, we have done handed out over 110 applications for 41 spots. We are building a new $25 million dollar hi school & all class rooms will be less than 10 years old. One of our FB players applied & was accepted to a Ivy League school, needless to say I am proud. We will keep pushing our admin, staff & students to be the most well rounded school district in the country as long as I am on the board.

Head Lion

Quote from: TheOfficial on November 08, 2015, 08:39:55 am

No, Marshall is very good this year.
Back on subject, I was very impressed with Marshall and their coach last year. They were dang scrappy squad that could shoot the rock.

WPWells

I had the pleasure of meeting Head Lion a couple years ago at the state basketball tournament. There's no one who has the passion for his school that HL does for his. Even though he's a Cubs fan, it was still a pleasure to meet him!

Head Lion

Thanks 12th, just want to do all I can for every kid I can in this life. Best of luck in school, my friend.

TheOfficial

Quote from: Head Lion on November 08, 2015, 12:34:05 pm
Never did say FB was everything in life, but we play 50-55 kids & have 75 dressed out every Thursday & Friday night. That is a bunch of parents that go home happy. What has been been y'all's growth rate the last 10 years?

Good for you but we have zero interest in football in this part of the state.  If you aren't from here you just wouldn't understand. 

Basketballfan13

Quote from: TheOfficial on November 08, 2015, 09:23:27 pm
Quote from: Head Lion on November 08, 2015, 12:34:05 pm

Good for you but we have zero interest in football in this part of the state.  If you aren't from here you just wouldn't understand. 
Not true official there's some interest, every once in awhile there's a weekend where players in our part of the state aren't playing basketball and we can watch some football on tv...looks interesting...don't really understand the rules but good for those schools that want to play it!

ESPN Analyst

ZoneBuster

I've always thought it was cool that one of Harrison and the university of Arkansas' biggest names, Brandon Burlsworth, went to Valley through 6th grade.

RedWolf275

Some people look at Manila as the reason not to have football. If I'm not mistaken, they had football once and dropped the program. Now they are back and have finally made the playoffs as number five seed. We will see how they do Friday night. They have taken a lot of bad beatings in the past to reach this point. Some schools don't want to take the beatings to add an expensive sport.

pioneers

Quote from: RedWolf275 on November 09, 2015, 11:40:06 am
Some people look at Manila as the reason not to have football. If I'm not mistaken, they had football once and dropped the program. Now they are back and have finally made the playoffs as number five seed. We will see how they do Friday night. They have taken a lot of bad beatings in the past to reach this point. Some schools don't want to take the beatings to add an expensive sport.
I don't look at it as is your program successful in terms of wins and losses but I look at it as is this sport helping young men stay off the streets and not drinking or doing drugs. Football as a sport attracts different kinds of athletes and if you don't have football these different athletes wouldn't have anything else to play and could be spending their time on the streets drinking or doing drugs.

Head Lion

FB, definitely takes longer to build a competitive squad than any other sport. As far as financial, after the initial investment in the kids, it pays for itself. Our gate last Thursday night was over $11k and totals for the year with Jr hi year is right at $43K. We also have presold over $8k in season tickets for basketball. We will have some more down years in FB, but this was the first class that started in elementary and went all the way through.

Head Lion

RedWolf, we are lucky at Manila that we carry over $4-5 MILLION a month, unlike some schools who are on the verge of collapse. As long as we spend that on kids, I see it as a good thing.

ISU7

Not meaning to bring up the pass, but in 2010 RiverCrest won the state title in football, and then use the exact same key football players the qb, rb, wr, wr, safety, and even a linebacker, and won the State basketball title. Not too mention the very same crew also won track. It doesn't hurt basketball in any kind of way, that's my opinion . 8)

Longfellow

Playing multiple sports in high school is gonna benefit you in everything. For one, it helps you maintain a high level of conditioning. It increases flexibility, muscle strength, and muscle stamina. Our coaches always encouraged us to play basketball and baseball as well as run track. It can also help get more people from the community involved in the athletic programs

Head Lion

Quote from: ISU7 on November 09, 2015, 02:40:36 pm
Not meaning to bring up the pass, but in 2010 RiverCrest won the state title in football, and then use the exact same key football players the qb, rb, wr, wr, safety, and even a linebacker, and won the State basketball title. Not too mention the very same crew also won track. It doesn't hurt basketball in any kind of way, that's my opinion . 8)
ISU, exactly correct. Just a fear used by some coaches, really just comes down to being an excuse. Having said that, I am ready for some hoops. We will be in LA Saturday afternoon.

RedWolf275

Quote from: Head Lion on November 09, 2015, 02:12:03 pm
Some people look at Manila as the reason not to have football. If I'm not mistaken, they had football once and dropped the program. Now they are back and have finally made the playoffs as number five seed. We will see how they do Friday night. They have tak
en a lot of bad beatings in the past to reach this point. Some schools don't want to take the beatings to add an expensive sport.
RedWolf, we are lucky at Manila that we carry over $4-5 MILLION a month, unlike some schools who are on the verge of collapse. As long as we spend that on kids, I see it as a good thing.

Lion, you make my point for me. All schools don't have $4-5 million to throw at an expensive sport like football. I am happy for the Manila that they can afford it. I don't know but I would bet that gate wasn't $11k 3-4 years ago when you were getting pounded regularly. I just don't agree with you that it's a travesty for a 3A school not to have football. To each his own. That being said, good luck to the Lions Friday night!

Head Lion

RW, we will agree to disagree. I think to be a growing progressive school and community it is a must. Thanks, we will need more than luck, maybe divine intervention to be the consensus #1 team in the state.

biglion1985

You know I am just wondering since I was the one who brought up the subject why is everyone bringing up football on a basketball post just wonderi g by the way

Paperman

Quote from: ISU7 on November 09, 2015, 02:40:36 pm

If I am not mistaken those Colts knocked off Valley in the state semifinals in Searcy!

ISU7

Quote from: biglion1985 on November 10, 2015, 01:48:05 am
You know I am just wondering since I was the one who brought up the subject why is everyone bringing up football on a basketball post just wonderi g by the way
maybe because high school football season isn't over. ;) :-X 8)

biglion1985

Yeah ISU7 I just don't like bashing other schools

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas