• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Providence Academy @ Valley Springs

Started by Bergman1820, November 03, 2015, 09:47:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bergman1820

TheOfficial

Sr boys
Providence 68
Valley Springs 53
Final

ZoneBuster

Was wondering about this score. Good early opponent for the boys.

Moonshiner

Where is Providence Academy located?  Assuming private school?

#EagleStrong

ErnestTBass

Dang somebody fill me in on this Providence bunch! Beating Valley at Valley! Must be pretty talented!

TheOfficial

They were at the Lendal Thomas last year and did really well.  Have all those kids back.  They're all foreign exchange students.  Have a 6'10 kid from Africa that I hear Arkansas is looking at.  Have 3 really talented players and a couple real good role players.  They filed as charter school last year and are serving their two year probation from post play.  Will join a conference next season as I understand.

ZoneBuster

bluegrassboy75

According to their website.  They are part of the Oklahoma Christian School Athletic Association, however, I can't find a schedule for this year on their website or Max Preps.

Moonshiner

bluegrassboy75

They aren't listed on the AAA website and not mentioned in the 16-18 Classifications or Conferences.  So I'm not sure.

Googlymoogly

no, they are not a member of the AAA but they do play several public schools in Arkansas this year. The coach told me they are playing Morrilton next week, and are playing about 3 or 4 others. I can't remember them all but I believe LR Mills is one. I don't think they are looking to join the AAA because of its residency rules, but because of a new rule schools from the AAA can get a waiver to play them. And if they do join the AAA, they are small enough to be a Class 1A team but I would imagine they'd want to move up a class or two, like Shiloh did previously.
Oh yeah, they will be back this year for the Lendel Thomas Classic which will be Dec. 28-30 at Harrison.

TheOfficial

Quote from: Googlymoogly on November 05, 2015, 12:36:52 pm
no, they are not a member of the AAA but they do play several public schools in Arkansas this year. The coach told me they are playing Morrilton next week, and are playing about 3 or 4 others. I can't remember them all but I believe LR Mills is one. I don't think they are looking to join the AAA because of its residency rules, but because of a new rule schools from the AAA can get a waiver to play them. And if they do join the AAA, they are small enough to be a Class 1A team but I would imagine they'd want to move up a class or two, like Shiloh did previously.
Oh yeah, they will be back this year for the Lendel Thomas Classic which will be Dec. 28-30 at Harrison.

Their coach told me they are joining the AAA and have already filed their charter.  They will be joining within the next couple years.  They are currently on the mandatory probationary period.

rammer

Saw a few of their players at the Ark. Basketball Combine a few months ago. SK Shittu is their big guy and he has several D-1 offers.  Also had a couple of other players there that were really good.

TheOfficial

Quote from: rammer on November 05, 2015, 04:30:14 pm
Saw a few of their players at the Ark. Basketball Combine a few months ago. SK Shittu is their big guy and he has several D-1 offers.  Also had a couple of other players there that were really good.

Heard Arkansas had offered the big guy.  Any truth to that?

Paperman

HorseFeathers

So if they join 1A...they'll be the new Power School form NWA like Fayetteville Christian 10-15 years ago...

Silky Johnson

Similar to those teams and the Fay. Christian team from 2007 so they'll definitely be a favorite when they arrive. They play Guy-Perkins at some point this year.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: Silky Johnson on November 08, 2015, 12:01:38 am
Similar to those teams and the Fay. Christian team from 2007 so they'll definitely be a favorite when they arrive. They play Guy-Perkins at some point this year.

Dear lord those mid 2000s Fay Christian teams. Their starters were all 6'2 or taller and their front court was 6'6 and 7'0. Ridiculous.

lanecamper54

Is there some AAA rule where private schools have to play up classification?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: lanecamper54 on November 08, 2015, 04:36:44 pm
Is there some AAA rule where private schools have to play up classification?

Only if their enrollment is above 75 students 9-11

ZoneBuster

Providence beat Springdale by 15 I believe. Doesn't look like that bad of a loss for the Tigers.

bystander

The early post was correct. Providence is part of the OCSAA in Oklahoma. They just play AAA schools as part of their non-conference schedule. They haven't announced or applied to become part of the AAA and be placed in a classification. They seem to be like TAPPS or SWPrep Conference schools in texas that just play public schools in non-conference games, then play for state championships in sports in their own private school conference. I don't think AAA small schools have anything to worry about with this school coming to try and win a AAA state championship like other private schools have in the past.

TheOfficial

Quote from: bystander on November 15, 2015, 10:15:13 pm
The early post was correct. Providence is part of the OCSAA in Oklahoma. They just play AAA schools as part of their non-conference schedule. They haven't announced or applied to become part of the AAA and be placed in a classification. They seem to be like TAPPS or SWPrep Conference schools in texas that just play public schools in non-conference games, then play for state championships in sports in their own private school conference. I don't think AAA small schools have anything to worry about with this school coming to try and win a AAA state championship like other private schools have in the past.

My information came straight from the coach that they are joining the AAA but have a waiting period.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas