• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tecmo Super Bowl for original NES

Started by thedeltarazorback, November 26, 2011, 01:09:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeltarazorback

I have to know, for those of you who are old enough to remember playing this game; who was your team?

Philadelphia Eagles - QB Eagles on OF and Reggie White on DF
New York Giants - Phil Simms on OF and Lawrence Taylor on DF
San Francisco 49ers - Jerry Rice on OF and Ronnie Lott on DF
Los Angeles Raiders - Bo Jackson on OF and Howie Long on DF
Kansas City Chiefs - Christian Okoye on OF and Derrick Thomas on DF
Denver Broncos - John Elway on OF and Steve Atwater on DF
Buffalo Bills - Thurman Thomas on OF and Bruce Smith on DF
Chicago Bears - Neal Anderson on OF and Mike Singletary on DF - (my team)

Was this not the greatest (and weirdest) sports game ever made?

Some oddities:

No penalties
The QB of any team could throw the ball 120 yards
No substituting on defense
No defensive play calling
The 5:00 clock ran at warp speed
Your QB oftentimes recovered the opposing teams onside kick
Your players literally "ran" from the hospital in season mode dressed in full uniform

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: thedeltarazorback on November 26, 2011, 01:09:08 am

The QB of any team could throw the ball 120 yards

Dropback pass, regardless of where you were on the field, from your own endzone for a 120 yard bomb.

I murdered with that play.

Chief_Osceola™

A nice little glitch with the 120 yard pass play was to do it using the backup QB.  The backup always had a weaker arm, so the ball would have more air under it, allowing the receiver to jump to catch it even if he was covered.

Coach Jones

Bears, but if my cousin picked the Bears I would take SF it was the only team that could hang with them.

Coach Jones

I still think that Tecmo II and III by Sega were the best football games of all time!  They kept up with scores/stats and you could even create your own players!

Chief_Osceola™

In Tecmo Super Bowl, I always used either Philadelphia or Detroit.  Cunningham, err, QB Eagles, was basically a running back with a cannon.  If no one was covered, I'd scramble for huge gains.  And Detroit had Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, and Rodney Peete, who was basically the poor man's Randall Cunningham.  On defense I cheated and used the nose tackle. 

For the original Tecmo Bowl, I used the Bears.  Walter Payton and Mike Singletary.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on January 09, 2012, 04:30:30 pm
In Tecmo Super Bowl, I always used either Philadelphia or Detroit.  Cunningham, err, QB Eagles, was basically a running back with a cannon.  If no one was covered, I'd scramble for huge gains.  And Detroit had Barry Sanders, Herman Moore, and Rodney Peete, who was basically the poor man's Randall Cunningham.  On defense I cheated and used the nose tackle. 

For the original Tecmo Bowl, I used the Bears.  Walter Payton and Mike Singletary.

Hm...loved the nosetack glitch...could sack a Quarterback everytime they dropped back...lol

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on December 29, 2011, 12:21:39 pm
A nice little glitch with the 120 yard pass play was to do it using the backup QB.  The backup always had a weaker arm, so the ball would have more air under it, allowing the receiver to jump to catch it even if he was covered.

Yep.  Babe Lauftenberg with the Cowboys.  I ended up using him most of the time anyway because Troy Aikman would always get injured.  Funny how realistic the game was.

Romeo

Houston Oilers was my team. Offense was all passing to Haywood Jeffries, Earnest Givens, Curtis Duncan, and Drew Hill.

I loved how when you break loose for a big run, defenders suddenly run a 3.9 40 yard dash and catch up with you.

TTofGreenwood

January 25, 2012, 10:28:53 pm #9 Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:31:08 pm by TTofgreenwood
Cowboys for me.  Tight end slant to Novacek! Even if defense picked the play, Jay would still make the catch!

IMO the spawn of the sports video game that we know today. 

AirWarren

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Does anyone else remember how hard it was to go undefeated?  You would roll through the first 8 games or so just killing teams and racking up yards.  Then every week, you just get cheated worse and worse.  Linebackers would jump through the atmosphere to intercept the ball.  You fumble the ball like never before.  Their RB's become tougher to tackle.  It really was unbelievable.

Wahls

Quote from: Romeo on January 25, 2012, 07:44:07 pmI loved how when you break loose for a big run, defenders suddenly run a 3.9 40 yard dash and catch up with you.

Just like defensive ends in all-madden mode now-a-days.

AirWarren

Quote from: Coach DePriest, PA on January 27, 2012, 07:48:40 am
Does anyone else remember how hard it was to go undefeated?  You would roll through the first 8 games or so just killing teams and racking up yards.  Then every week, you just get cheated worse and worse.  Linebackers would jump through the atmosphere to intercept the ball.  You fumble the ball like never before.  Their RB's become tougher to tackle.  It really was unbelievable.

Excellent point!

the green moose

The Raiders with Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen were the Mooses team

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas