• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7A West Season(Week 1 Schedule Added)

Started by Brian G, December 17, 2014, 08:39:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

December 17, 2014, 08:39:39 pm Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:41:28 pm by B.G.
Boys and girls going to be a very exciting year for many reason.

Northside and Southside back makes it even better.

So far, at least 4 teams looking really good for the boys and maybe as many as 5 for the girls.

I'll do my annual predictions(in about a week) that typically have been pretty close but this year is a challenge.

I don't expect any undefeated conference seasons for boys or girls.

A-Good-One

Girls:
Northside, Fayetteville, Springdale, Har-Ber, Bentonville, Rogers, Southside, Heritage

Boys:
Bentonville, Fayetteville, Northside, Har-Ber, Springdale, Heritage, Southside, Rogers

Springdale through Bentonville could swap in girls. Northside and Har-Ber flip in boys, as could Springdale and Heritage then Southside and Rogers.

Brian G

Probably not to far of my picks or the current consensus.

businesstron

My picks just boys only

Harber
Northside
Fayetteville
Bentonville
Springdale
Heritage
Rogers
South side

I put Bentonville a little lo w because even though they have the best player the other 3 have better teams. Bentonville looked like the #1 team when they beat Chaminade but that loss against Alma stings.  They gotta learn how to not rely on Monk so much....    There isn't too much between Harber, Northside, and Fayetteville.  Northside has impressed me with how they did in the two Texas tournaments and how they beat Parkview yesterday.  At one point in the game they were up by 20 on Parkview.   I don't think I've ever seen them be beat that bad.   Harber is putting up points on good teams and Fayetteville has crazy depth in their front court.   Springdale will play hard but they just don't have enough to break into the top 4.  They started off good against Jonesboro in the 1st quarter....then they fell apart. 

ahsalum

Quote from: businesstron on December 22, 2014, 12:21:09 am
Bentonville looked like the #1 team when they beat Chaminade but that loss against Alma stings. 

Why? Because Alma is smaller....it's HS BB.....Bennie lost to Alma....Alma turned around and lost to Paris(yeah Paris Arkansas...not France)...
so are we saying Paris is better than Bennie...hell no....not in a million years.....anyone can beat anyone on any given night.....so, in retrospect...it shouldn't sting as much as we should say surprised, ........I mean it's not like Alma has a pathetic BB program. Bennie lost to a scrappy 6A mostly whiteboy team who has great tradition in BB...Alma's loss should "sting" more because they just defeat Monk and Co. and then lose to a 3A team......who cares.

I still like Bennie as the #1 team in the 7A West...followed by Fay/Northside....either one....

basketballjones

Seems like this is the year for the grizzlies...

businesstron

December 22, 2014, 10:31:29 am #6 Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:08:18 pm by businesstron
Quote from: Steve Perry on December 22, 2014, 08:53:09 am
Quote from: businesstron on December 22, 2014, 12:21:09 am
Bentonville looked like the #1 team when they beat Chaminade but that loss against Alma stings. 

Why? Because Alma is smaller....it's HS BB.....Bennie lost to Alma....Alma turned around and lost to Paris(yeah Paris Arkansas...not France)...
so are we saying Paris is better than Bennie...hell no....not in a million years.....anyone can beat anyone on any given night.....so, in retrospect...it shouldn't sting as much as we should say surprised, ........I mean it's not like Alma has a pathetic BB program. Bennie lost to a scrappy 6A mostly whiteboy team who has great tradition in BB...Alma's loss should "sting" more because they just defeat Monk and Co. and then lose to a 3A team......who cares.

I still like Bennie as the #1 team in the 7A West...followed by Fay/Northside....either one....

The #1 team in the 7a west this year should not lose to Alma.   Maybe  play a competitive game but not lose.   It really isn't the fact that they lost it was how they lost.  Monk took too many shots.  I saw he was like 6 of 26.  They played similar in their losses to Springdale and NLR last year.    Harber, Fayetteville and Northside look like way better teams at this point and have been more consistent.   Bentonville isn't consistent enough for me to put them above the other 3 teams.

DerekOxford

December 22, 2014, 11:04:18 am #7 Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:06:10 am by DerekOxford
I posted this in another thread, but I'm moving it here.

My predictions for how the 2014-15 7A-West will go:

1) Bentonville. When you have the best player in the conference, you should win the conference. I do think they will slip up and lose 2-3, but Monk will carry them to a league crown. Record: 11-3

2) Fayetteville. So far, I've been very impressed with Fayetteville and the Dawgs are only going to get better as the season wears on once O'Grady gets into basketball mode as well as Wymer. Payton Willis is what Dick Vitale would call a PTper. Record: 10-4

3) Northside. The Grizzlies are athletic as usual and have a great coach in Eric Burnett. That's a recipe for success. I don't think 42-point quarters will be the norm in conference play, but they'll put up points on lots of folks. Record: 9-5

4) Har-Ber. This team is the most intriguing to me going into conference. They've added some talented pieces and are very good, but are they better than the top three teams I have listed? Can they play together? Record: 9-5

5) Springdale. Chris Owens is clearly the second-best player in the conference, but he's not going to be able to do it by himself against the top teams in the conference. The key to their season is what they can get out of Treshawn Gause and Tyler Tutt and their other role players. Record: 7-7

6) Heritage. Lexus Hobbs has been a nice addition to a team that went to the state tournament last season. They might surprise some people and jump into the fourth or fifth spot if some teams aren't careful. Record: 7-7

7) Rogers High. Wayne Herren has done the best he could with the talent he has with the Mounties. Unfortunately, it won't be enough to earn a tourney bid. Record: 3-11

8) Southside. Don't know much about the Rebs other than reports saying they aren't very good. So I put them here. Record: 1-13

ahsalum

ahsalum

Quote from: businesstron on December 22, 2014, 10:31:29 am
The #1 team in the 7a west this year should not lose to Alma. 

You my friend, jump ship to early.

A-Good-One

The #1 team in the 7a west this year should not lose to Alma.   Maybe  play a competitive game but not lose.   It really isn't the fact that they lost it was how they lost.  Monk took too many shots.  I saw he was like 6 of 26.  They played similar in their losses to Springdale and NLR last year.    Harber, Fayetteville and Northside look like way better teams at this point and have been more consistent.   Bentonville isn't consistent enough for me to put them above the other 3 teams.

Should they? No. But they aren't exactly an elite team. They're a good team. There isn't an elite team, though, in the whole state this year.

ricepig

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on December 22, 2014, 02:39:33 pm

Should they? No. But they aren't exactly an elite team. They're a good team. There isn't an elite team, though, in the whole state this year.

Has there been one in a while?

Cabotred

Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2014, 04:09:38 pm

There is one now. Southwest Christian Academy

Brian G

Quote from: Cabotred on December 22, 2014, 05:32:43 pm

Either:
1)  That's great sarcasm
or
2)  Simply no

neds

I listened to The Buzz this afternoon as Coach Crawford explained that he had very little to do with SW Christian Ac. and that he was just 'advising them' on their basketball program as they have gotten several players from overseas. Interesting the coincidence of them choosing that school , and they might possibly end up on the Wings AAU team. 

Brian G

We think alike on that one.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on December 22, 2014, 07:38:25 pm

What's wrong with kids from overseas?

Brian G

That's loaded.  But from a AAU perspective,  it does minimize some kids ability to get seen.

From a AAA perspective, as long as everyone plays by the same rules and has the same enforcement then I'm fine with it.

Brian G

I think I'll pick the girls in the next few days.  I've pretty much made up my mind.

I likely will wait the Christmas events to settle on the guys.

A-Good-One

I'd suggest NLR from two seasons ago was pretty elite.

ricepig

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on December 22, 2014, 08:04:40 pm
I'd suggest NLR from two seasons ago was pretty elite.

They were definitely better than last year, or this year's team.

Cabotred

December 23, 2014, 08:32:32 am #21 Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:34:07 am by Cabotred
Quote from: B.G. on December 22, 2014, 07:24:12 pm
Quote from: Cabotred on December 22, 2014, 05:32:43 pm

Either:
1)  That's great sarcasm
or
2)  Simply no

The answer would be number 1.  I have nothing to do with SWCA, but I have seen the talent that they have during summer ball.  Individually they are impressive, how they play as a team has to be determined. I don't know or care what their record is.  Only  time will tell if it is a start to an elite prep school program.  And yes that is differnt than elite high school program.

Cabotred

Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2014, 07:48:08 pm

Nothing as long as they are not adopted by the coach.........

JTthegreat16

Southwest is a prep program, and they were ruled ineligible to play AAA schools in Arkansas.

That being said, if they actually played against the schools here in arkansas they would beat all of them. Unless NLR could pull of an incredible upset, no other team in the state would have a shot. They have athleticism, height, speed, guard play, and shooters. Nobody here in the state would beat them.

Just my opinion though

ricepig

Quote from: Cabotred on December 23, 2014, 08:35:23 am
Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2014, 07:48:08 pm

Nothing as long as they are not adopted by the coach.........

Sounds like Cabot needs some caring people........

Brian G

Quote from: JTthegreat16 on December 23, 2014, 10:43:21 am
Southwest is a prep program, and they were ruled ineligible to play AAA schools in Arkansas.

That being said, if they actually played against the schools here in arkansas they would beat all of them. Unless NLR could pull of an incredible upset, no other team in the state would have a shot. They have athleticism, height, speed, guard play, and shooters. Nobody here in the state would beat them.

Just my opinion though
Completely disagree.

Give me the better HS coaches of AR anytime.

Brian G

First Week of Action:

Bentonville   @   FS   Southside
FS   Northside   @   Fayetteville  Game of the Week boys and girls
Spr.   Har-Ber   @   Rogers
Rogers   Heritage   @   Springdale

Brian G

January 03, 2015, 07:53:22 pm #27 Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:55:03 pm by B.G.
Time to predict.  I don't have the records for each team from n/c play but will add them later.  Many of these picks  are consensus, but still reflect my guesses.

Boys

1. Har-Ber:  This is theirs to lose.  They've gone out of their way to improve their lineup and thumbed their nose in unapologetic fashion.  They have as good a starting 5 as there is in this league.  Good guard play and the ability to shoot.  Anything short of a a conference crown is a failure.  PREDICTION: 12-2

2. Fayetteville:  Though still a work in progress on playing time, they have lost just once thus far and that was to nationally ranked Springfield Kickapoo. Schedule not incredibly tough compared to some, but a huge difference this year is they are winning close games after not doing so last year.  PREDICTION: 11-3

3.  Bentonville:  Leads off with the best D-1 prospect and some improved roll players.  They might be better than last year and still not win the league.  They have played some top competition that might help them but their loss to Alma was odd.  PREDICTION: 11-3

4.  Northside:  A welcome return to the league and they seem to be getting right where they want to be as the n/c slate ends.  Wins over Parkview and Hall(though down some) show their grit.  PREDICTION: 10-4

5.  Heritage:  Coming off their best season ever and many key parts return.  They also got a move-in that will help them athletically and have performed admirably YTD.  PREDICTION: 5-9

6.  Springdale: Lots of subtractions since last year will prove hard to overcome.  They have one of the very best players in this conference and might be able to shoot themselves into a unexpected W or two.  PREDICTION: 5-9

7.  Southside:  Not a lot to pimp here.  They're glad Rogers is in the league.  PREDICTION: 2-12

8.  Rogers:  Though I know better when it comes to high school, I will still say they grab the doughnut.  PREDICTION 0-14

Girls in a bit.

A-Good-One

I feel like you just picked Har-Ber No. 1 so that when they don't finish there you can go "HA! Har-Ber recruits and still doesn't win!"  :)

Brian G

CincyGuyintheFort

I am not as studied or versed in the ball down here yet, but here is my thoughts....

1.  Bentonville   11-3

2. Northside      11-3

3. Har-Ber         10-4

4.  Fayetteville   10-4

5. Southside       6-8

6. Springdale      4-10

7. Heritage         3-11

8. Rogers           1-13

A-Good-One

Those look pretty solid. I'd probably boost Heritage a bit. I think they'll win more than three and I don't think Southside will win six.

CincyGuyintheFort

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on January 08, 2015, 01:42:27 pm
Those look pretty solid. I'd probably boost Heritage a bit. I think they'll win more than three and I don't think Southside will win six.

Yeah it was hard with me picking Heritage cuz they are the only team from the 7a west I have not seen in person yet.  Southside is going to surprise a couple teams this year, they are more solid than ppl are giving them credit for . I bet they win a couple games they have no business winning this season...

AT

Let's get some scores rolling up in here:

I went to the Southside-Bentonville game (Finally got to see Malik Monk put on a show on my 2nd attempt. I'm glad it wasn't against Alma, though)

Girls
Bentonville - 58
Southside - 49

Boys
Bentonville - 63
Southside - 47

Girls
Fayetteville - 45
Northside - 42
(Very surprising)

Boys (in OT)
Fayetteville - 64
Northside - 57

Girls
Har-Ber - 62
Rogers - 51

Boys
Har-Ber - 69
Rogers - 48

Girls
Springdale - 42
Heritage - 32

Boys
Springdale - 53
Heritage - 42

Interesting fact of the night: No schools split between boys and girls. All games were sweeps by one school

Standings:

Girls
Bentonville (1-0)
Fayetteville (1-0)
Har-Ber (1-0)
Springdale (1-0)
Heritage (0-1)
Northside (0-1)
Rogers (0-1)
Southside (0-1)

(copy/paste)

Boys
Bentonville (1-0)
Fayetteville (1-0)
Har-Ber (1-0)
Springdale (1-0)
Heritage (0-1)
Northside (0-1)
Rogers (0-1)
Southside (0-1)

businesstron

The Northside/Fayetteville boys game was good.   Northside got up big  in the 1st by shooting alot of 3's  then they went ice cold from the perimeter the rest of the game.  Fayetteville battled back and tied it up at halftime and even took a 8 pt lead late in the 3rd.  Northside came back to tie the game before the end of regulation.  They had the ball for almost a minute to hold for the final shot but due to poor execution they took a bad shot and the game went into OT. 

After that Fayetteville took over.  I wasn't too sure though why Northside kept taking outside shots when they were able to score in the paint.  Fayetteville had a alot of size and length playing zone but it wasn't like they were blocking shots.   Northside basically got back into the game driving the ball inside.  Josh Breathitt is a player though.  Payton Willis is too but Northside didin't have an answer for Josh offensively.  I was surprised CJ and Drake weren't as good as I thought they would be by this point though.     It was a good game though....maybe not the best played game though.   Northside probably has a bad taste in their mouth from this so the rematch will be epic next month.

AT

Quote from: businesstron on January 11, 2015, 02:09:33 pm
The Northside/Fayetteville boys game was good.   Northside got up big  in the 1st by shooting alot of 3's  then they went ice cold from the perimeter the rest of the game.  Fayetteville battled back and tied it up at halftime and even took a 8 pt lead late in the 3rd.  Northside came back to tie the game before the end of regulation.  They had the ball for almost a minute to hold for the final shot but due to poor execution they took a bad shot and the game went into OT. 

After that Fayetteville took over.  I wasn't too sure though why Northside kept taking outside shots when they were able to score in the paint.  Fayetteville had a alot of size and length playing zone but it wasn't like they were blocking shots.   Northside basically got back into the game driving the ball inside.  Josh Breathitt is a player though.  Payton Willis is too but Northside didin't have an answer for Josh offensively.  I was surprised CJ and Drake weren't as good as I thought they would be by this point though.     It was a good game though....maybe not the best played game though.   Northside probably has a bad taste in their mouth from this so the rematch will be epic next month.

Thanks for the write up. I'm curious as to what happened in the girls game. Big upset in my opinion.

Brian G

Both teams will be better the next game.  Wymer and O'Grady included.

FHS has started slow at home for the past two years.  This year they have the ability to overcome it.

It was a good game, you should have come and intro'd yourself. I was all over.

Brian G

Girls game marked by poor shooting.  The main girl for NSide had 31 last time vs FHS and 5 on Friday.  Morgan was held scoreless for FHS.

Brutal.

A-Good-One

Yeah. The girls game was hideous. Not sure it's a big upset. They're the best two teams in the conference.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas