• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seating problems

Started by YC, October 26, 2014, 04:55:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay extra for reserved seating

Yes
14 (34.1%)
No
26 (63.4%)
Not sure at this time
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: December 25, 2014, 03:55:11 pm

YC

It appears there will be a huge crowd at the Booneville/Charleston this week. I don't think it will be as large as the playoff games with Rison in 91 or Shiloh in 00 but it will be large and seating could be limited. I had at one time the capacity numbers but now can't find them. Going by memory I think the home side seats aprox. 1700 and the visitor side around 900. There were a couple games this year that it appeared the seating was maxed out so I'm sure this game will be as well. Charleston does have some portable stands that could be set up (they were in 91 and 00) but that still was not enough as fans lined the side lines and around the endzones 6 and 7 deep. The officials continually had to call time out to move fans out of the endzones. With it being a regular season game and the area schools still playing it probably won't be as large a crowd as the two above mentioned.

Now hang with me on this because there will be a test at the end.

I have noticed on several occasions when arriving there will be many seats that appear to be available but when you get to them they have paper taped on them with reserved or names attached. A few years ago there appeared in the local paper asking people not to continue this practice but it appears to have done little or no good. I do realize we have no control over how other schools handle this problem but when arriving at Lavaca last week there appeared to be many empty seats only to find this very thing when getting to them. My companion and I were able to find seats so it was not a problem for us but I did hear some folks who were extremely upset about it.

Some schools have set aside a portion of their stands for reserved seating. They are charging a fee to those who are willing to pay for these seats. I have heard this fee averages from one hundred to five hundred dollar per year. There was a huge and heated discussion about this on the 4A board this year when Prairie Grove started it. I believe it was five hundred they were charging with the extra money going to the booster club.

I have mixed feelings about it. I like it but it scares me to an extent. I think you divide your fan base between the ones who can afford to pay and the ones who can't. It's never good to divide people and can cause hard feelings. One thing is for certain, if the entire stadium continues to be general admission then the administration needs to enforce the no taping of names or stadium seats placed earlier in the day.

I guess the test is really more of a question. Would you support such a policy at your school?

WPWells

Personally I'd have no problem for Charleston adopting such a practice

Lineman

It should be first come first seated.

WPWells

I wouldn't feel bad on Friday if seating is tight pulling up someone's tape and taking those seats either

Lineman

I've seen it pulled up before by admin

nastynice

Im with lineman, first come first serve.

DogsWin7

That's the fairest way....first come first serve.  Agreed 

Hogwild#9

I don't mind having 10-15 reserved seats. It raises money for the football program.

HorseFeathers

Wouldnt pay....of course I've watched games in hector, hazen, Pottsville, Dover and Lamar this year....reserved seats would be of little use to me....

WPWells

I wouldn't pay, but I also wouldn't have a problem with it

DogsWin7

It isn't College football....it's HS.   Tax dollars of the citizens are already helping pay for the athletic facilities in my opinion.   It makes you kind of Elitist.   

macadoshis

If I get to my spot top row under the pressbox and some unknowing newcomer has mistakingly sat in my spot they know to respectfully move before I get there.   ;D

OLDSCHOOL82

First come first serve.  The normals have their unspoken  areas that they always sit in.

adaptedtigerfan

Row 7,8 or 9 on the 50 you will find this guy

HorseFeathers

so guy thats balding with a mullet, cut off flanel shirt, and camo pants sitting on the 50...i think i can find adapted fan now lol

Proud Buckaroo

With a dip in his mouth too?

HorseFeathers

Haha yeah forgot that part

adaptedtigerfan

No sir PB tobacco and alcohol free for 8 years!!

Proud Buckaroo

Well, that's wonderful. I wish I could say the same thing. lol.
But, you didn't deny the camo pants, and the cut off flanel.

adaptedtigerfan

Lol don't own a flanal but the camo could come into play depending the temp.

YC

Quote from: Hogwild#9 on October 26, 2014, 05:50:09 pm
I don't mind having 10-15 reserved seats. It raises money for the football program.

I think it would be a lot more than 10-15 if it did indeed become a reality. There are a surprising number of wealthy people here. Now whether or not they would be willing to shell out an extra 250 to 500 dollars would be another question. I know if it did happen and if I decided to go that route I would want some assurances there would be some type of restrictions on kids in the area. Am I saying folks with kids couldn't option in...NO.... Am I saying kids couldn't set in the reserved area....NO.... What I am saying is that if parents do bring their kids into the area they would have to keep them under control. The stands on football Friday night has become a play ground for children. They run around undisciplined, unsupervised, and disturbing everyone around them. However, it's not all children as teenagers are just as guilty and perhaps even more so. I am so tired of not being able to watch the games to their fullest extent because of kids constantly running back and forth in the stands!!!

Lions84

Sure but few places below 4A offer it.

Lineman

I can't stand when people come to a game to socialize.

nastynice

Quote from: IofthaTiger on October 27, 2014, 11:28:24 am

I think it would be a lot more than 10-15 if it did indeed become a reality. There are a surprising number of wealthy people here. Now whether or not they would be willing to shell out an extra 250 to 500 dollars would be another question. I know if it did happen and if I decided to go that route I would want some assurances there would be some type of restrictions on kids in the area. Am I saying folks with kids couldn't option in...NO.... Am I saying kids couldn't set in the reserved area....NO.... What I am saying is that if parents do bring their kids into the area they would have to keep them under control. The stands on football Friday night has become a play ground for children. They run around undisciplined, unsupervised, and disturbing everyone around them. However, it's not all children as teenagers are just as guilty and perhaps even more so. I am so tired of not being able to watch the games to their fullest extent because of kids constantly running back and forth in the stands!!!
Man I'd hate to have to sit by you at a game!  You sound like the person I tell my kids to avoid! Climb down off your pedestal, it's ALL about the kids, regardless of age!

HorseFeathers

then they should stop charging admission to the games if its just another social event....i have no problem with your kids playing, but the stands is no place for it....take them to a grassy area away from the stands if you want to pay 5 bucks and not watch the game...

BigMan15

I like standing around the fence by the endzone myself but i could see people that would pay for reserved seating....but i would rather first come first seat..

YC

Quote from: nastynice on October 27, 2014, 11:38:10 am

Man I'd hate to have to sit by you at a game!  You sound like the person I tell my kids to avoid! Climb down off your pedestal, it's ALL about the kids, regardless of age!

I'm not on a pedestal. I'm no better than anyone else. I love kids. I do however believe in discipline. I do believe kids should be raised to respect others around them. The stands at football games is not and should not be a play ground.

adaptedtigerfan

I agree with ya IoftheTiger. 

BigMan15

I agree but u cant expect young kids to just sit and watch a game and not move....

adaptedtigerfan

I have a 4 year old.  I know

HorseFeathers

i have 3 under the age of 5....when i have them with me, you'll never find me in the stands...or them running loose like it's a playground. Drives me nuts to see kids running around while their parents have no clue what they are doing

BigMan15

Well if u think the kids will be hyper or all over the place dont sit beside them....but i do understand what ur talking about...

macadoshis

Try losing your son on the very football field you come to every Friday night.  Its a game.  Kids have fun and play.  Trivial things like a child enjoying themselves at the game and you maybe missinv a few seconds of a play become a lot less important in the grand scheme of things. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on October 26, 2014, 09:09:42 pm
No sir PB tobacco and alcohol free for 8 years!!
wow, what do you do for fun?

YC

Quote from: BigMan15 on October 27, 2014, 02:27:41 pm
Well if u think the kids will be hyper or all over the place dont sit beside them....but i do understand what ur talking about...

You don't have to set next to them to be affected. 

I'm not the grumpy old man you probably think I am. I think if you meet me you would like me. I will admit I'm not Will Rogers but I would most likely like you as well.

The vast majority of these kids are older than what is being talked about. Most are seven to ten years of age. As I stated it's not all on the younger kids as teen agers are just as guilty and often more so. 

As far as the younger kids are concerned, ever hear of  baby sitters? That's what we did until our daughter got old enough to enjoy going. She had time to run around before the game, at half time, and after (supervised of course). During the game she sat in her seat and behaved herself.  If she got hard to control the wife would take her out of the stands and let her play with others along the side lines or to the car if an away game. At home games if it became necessary she took her home. I could always find a friend that was happy to drop me off at home afterwards.

Jimbo Morphis

probably kids of parents who don't believe in spanking.

adaptedtigerfan

Come on Oldman you know kids aren't suppose to get spakings....   They are suppose to grow up and disrespect their parents teachers and everyone else they come in contact with.

nastynice

I guess I'm just so tuned in to the games I don't notice anything around me! There could be a whole 1st grade class right beside me and I wouldn't notice.

tiger2016

Behind the Student Section and Band at Charleston Home Side there is some open seats. West End past 30 Yard Line

-Painted Fan-

I will gladly let someone have my seat.
Besides halftime, I never use it anyway.

ChucktownTigerFan

Well it may just be me, but if you pay for a seat you should get a seat. The band does not pay for seats, they should not be in the general seating. I know most away games for us this year, the visitors side is 1/3 band, for example, Danville and Lavaca. We usually sit in the same general location at home games, yes we get there early and sometimes we do even reserve our seats. I am paying to be in the stands, not stand on the sideline. This Friday neither band should be in the general stands, there will be to many people there. JMO thought.

Cats73

I know one thing, there won't be any trick or treating in Booneville.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ChucktownTigerFan on October 27, 2014, 08:47:29 pm
Well it may just be me, but if you pay for a seat you should get a seat. The band does not pay for seats, they should not be in the general seating. I know most away games for us this year, the visitors side is 1/3 band, for example, Danville and Lavaca. We usually sit in the same general location at home games, yes we get there early and sometimes we do even reserve our seats. I am paying to be in the stands, not stand on the sideline. This Friday neither band should be in the general stands, there will be to many people there. JMO thought.

Problem is that, those Band Students are receiving a grade for being there....Sooo your tax dollars are paying for those kids to be in those stands :D....Doesn't Charleston have a band stand for their band though?

nastynice

I agree with you on that. Don't get used to it.

ChucktownTigerFan

Quote from: HF on October 27, 2014, 08:50:03 pm

Problem is that, those Band Students are receiving a grade for being there....Sooo your tax dollars are paying for those kids to be in those stands :D....Doesn't Charleston have a band stand for their band though?
No they added a section to the home side stands.. but still for this week with extra added family for Sr.night it is going to be standing room only. Band needs to be in a different location. I don't go for the band of halftime show I go for the game.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ChucktownTigerFan on October 27, 2014, 08:52:08 pm
Quote from: HF on October 27, 2014, 08:50:03 pm

No they added a section to the home side stands.. but still for this week with extra added family for Sr.night it is going to be standing room only. Band needs to be in a different location. I don't go for the band of halftime show I go for the game.

I'm just saying it's basically extra required classroom time for them...or it is at some schools. take it up with your school administration.

Hector kicked their band to the endzone for a couple of years, then moved them back to the student section area last year. Of Course there's only 10 kids in the band now so not that big of a problem...

I do agree though, that on nights like senior night, homecoming, and/or games that are expected to have a huge crowd the host schools or both school administrations could/should look into doing something to help with the seating...myself I like the fence, or the top row of the bleachers....

Brian G

Hard to change policy during the year.  I think a limited number of reserved "that cost more" is a good thing but more than that should just go back to the old first come first served.

To give you a different perspective, when Fayetteville played Springdale(before the split) the visitor school would get a guaranteed number of seats that they sold themselves at school.  That helped some of the rush at the gates on game night.  They don't do that any longer cause SDale stinking it up has killed their fanbase and interest is lower.  Before that happened, SDale fans where famous for sitting with the enemy,  They'd fill their sections and go sit right in the middle of the FHS people.  Some trouble ensued and that included a few times that I was involved.

But now the same tends to occur with FHS vs Bentonville.  It came to a bit of a head a few years ago when the BHS admin was quoted as saying "lets shut out FHS fans" the day of a huge volleyball game.  Letting them in early....

Be thankful you have that kind of interest in your teams.

WPWells

Charleston had their band in the end zone, but they got moved back to get them involved in the game

adaptedtigerfan

This guy will keep his mouth shut about the band.  Has a lot to say but chooses his battles wisely.

athletic supporter

I choose to sit in the pressbox.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas