• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morrilton Devil Dogs @ Wynne yellow jackets

Started by the voice, November 10, 2017, 09:58:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 17, 2017, 08:17:24 pm
Why are my fans even there?

I will agree they are solid and disciplined on defense.    Best we have faced.

86jacketstchamps

InYoGrill

Did the M player try to take a dump over the ball? I can not believe he just stood casually looking at the ball while it was fumbled. WOW!

WTD

November 17, 2017, 08:48:42 pm #153 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:50:48 pm by WTD
This game reminds me of the Marion vs Wynne game...

Intelligentsia

November 17, 2017, 08:49:45 pm #154 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:52:53 pm by Intelligentsia
The student announcer are pretty funny.  They are having a good time.  Both teams are playing well defensively and a bit tentative on offense.   Fumbles and penalties have ruled the night.

InYoGrill

What a championship type drive M just did with a TD pass from Criswell. Long run by him and long pass by him.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: InYoGrill on November 17, 2017, 09:01:18 pm
What a championship type drive M just did with a TD pass from Criswell. Long run by him and long pass by him.

That kid will be very good when he is a senior.  That was a 30 yard dart!!

WTD

May be the best player in the state the next two years

InYoGrill

How many time outs Wynne have left. Coach is going through them last few mins.

Intelligentsia

Fun game and good season for Morrilton.   Now time for Wynne to exact a little East revenge on LRCM!!  Go Yellowjackets!!

InYoGrill

Wynne fought back, give them credit for wearing down M's D. Wynne was very lucky they won but they won and that is all that matters. One turnover in the end zone by Criswell killing a chance at 14-3 and one turnover scoop and score by W giving them the lead 10-7. WOW! M had their chances! Motown's D earned Devil Dog fight chains this evening.

WTD

kwwolves2012

One of the best games I've watched in a very long time; both teams played their hearts out. Wynne got some lucky bounces and took advantage of them. M's defense was stout and prepared from the first snap. We probably just witnessed two of the best defenses in 5A go at it. I think the home team was going to win this game; it could have went either way. Mo-Town's QB will be playing college ball in a few years.. Wynne made the plays down the stretch and came away with a hard-fought win. I'm proud of them and Morrilton cannot be upset about their season either. They were a dang good team.

the voice

Morrilton held their offense to under 200 yards and only 10 points. Should have been enough to win. But hats off to Wynne. Congrats but I know the devil dogs gave  all they wanted.

DevilDog59

One of the best high school football games I've ever watched... as much as it pains me to say it, hats off to a very very good Wynne team. Go win it all. Go Dogs.

InYoGrill

Quote from: kwwolves2012 on November 17, 2017, 09:33:56 pm
One of the best games I've watched in a very long time; both teams played their hearts out. Wynne got some lucky bounces and took advantage of them. M's defense was stout and prepared from the first snap. We probably just witnessed two of the best defenses in 5A go at it. I think the home team was going to win this game; it could have went either way. Mo-Town's QB will be playing college ball in a few years.. Wynne made the plays down the stretch and came away with a hard-fought win. I'm proud of them and Morrilton cannot be upset about their season either. They were a dang good team.

True^^^

InYoGrill

Other than the BOARD that was seen on TV 10% of the game. This was a terrific smash mouth football game to watch. Better than any Hog slop on tv. Hate there had to be a losing team tonight ONLY on the scoreboard. What a loud crowd for a playoff game!

the voice

In all honesty I think they're surprised at how well morrilton played. The west falls tonight. I hate that Alma posters didn't keep the score updated as well as greenbrier. Well we will regroup and reload. Everyone got a glimpse of what's to come for morrilton.

South 45

Couldn't ask for more from a ball game...except maybe a win. Got to talking with the guys in the press box after the game. Was told no one in the entire town of Wynne expected that game out of us. Hats off to them. Good win.

oldjacketman

AT

Lol keeping up the score in the Alma game would have meant you were on your phone constantly!

titan33

Quote from: kwwolves2012 on November 17, 2017, 08:04:42 pm
Pitiful play calling. Just no rhythm and no different plays

Last week Wynne fans said they whooped LRC because of play calling this week it's because of the play calling that the game was so close? Man an 11-1 season and a trip to the semis must suck huh?

Idindonuffin

walkingguy72396

Paschal mixed it up alot.  Swinging gate and an attempted screen pass, not sure I have ever seen Wynne try those plays.

kwwolves2012

Quote from: titan33 on November 17, 2017, 10:14:15 pm
Last week Wynne fans said they whooped LRC because of play calling this week it's because of the play calling that the game was so close? Man an 11-1 season and a trip to the semis must suck huh?

In my defense, I absolutely hated our "trick" play where we lined up our lineman along the left hash and threw the ball over to our running back who was about 4 yards deep to begin with and ended up losing 1 yard on the play if I remember right. This was on a big 3rd down play.. and our defense had been on the field most of the first half. That was what lead to me being baffled. The reverse that we had so much luck with against LRC was only ran maybe 2x and both times it gained positive yards. I don't know why we didn't try misdirection plays more often. I'll admit that I underestimated Morrilton's defense coming in and just expected Wynne to have at least marginal success running up the gut.. but time after time we just ran into a brick wall and lost yards.. again, we squeaked out the win, I just didn't understand the lack of misdirection plays when Morrilton was getting massive penetration up front with their line. That, along with brute force, is what took down LRC.. heck, even our Head Coach said on the post game interview that our team did not have a good week of practice and underestimated Morrilton.

kwwolves2012

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on November 17, 2017, 10:22:43 pm
Paschal mixed it up alot.  Swinging gate and an attempted screen pass, not sure I have ever seen Wynne try those plays.

I did like that we attempted a screen play.. but I'm pretty sure that came in the second half after my comment.

purpleswag

Quote from: kwwolves2012 on November 17, 2017, 10:27:53 pm
In my defense, I absolutely hated our "trick" play where we lined up our lineman along the left hash and threw the ball over to our running back who was about 4 yards deep to begin with and ended up losing 1 yard on the play if I remember right. This was on a big 3rd down play.. and our defense had been on the field most of the first half. That was what lead to me being baffled. The reverse that we had so much luck with against LRC was only ran maybe 2x and both times it gained positive yards. I don't know why we didn't try misdirection plays more often. I'll admit that I underestimated Morrilton's defense coming in and just expected Wynne to have at least marginal success running up the gut.. but time after time we just ran into a brick wall and lost yards.. again, we squeaked out the win, I just didn't understand the lack of misdirection plays when Morrilton was getting massive penetration up front with their line. That, along with brute force, is what took down LRC.. heck, even our Head Coach said on the post game interview that our team did not have a good week of practice and underestimated Morrilton.

Hind sight is 20/20 bud. Easy to make calls from the stands

wynneaholic©

Criswell is a beast and hats off to mo town. I felt like I was watching cam newton out there tonight. Great composure for a sophomore. Met some great morrilton fans on the way out, he had a white sweater on and we're class Acts.

South 45

November 18, 2017, 01:36:52 am #178 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:38:44 am by South 45
Quote from: wynneaholic© on November 17, 2017, 11:12:08 pm
Criswell is a beast and hats off to mo town. I felt like I was watching cam newton out there tonight. Great composure for a sophomore. Met some great morrilton fans on the way out, he had a white sweater on and we're class Acts.
I visited with the announcer before we left the stands and with a couple younger guy on the field after that may have been doing radio or live feed (I had seen them in the box) all knowledgeable football guys and class acts as well. There was the the fella that came over and sat mid day up on the 50ydl in the visitors side and started talking trash and cheering for the jackets. I was starting to think things were going to get out of hand but a couple of mommas convinced him he had had his fun and to leave before the dads had a chance to get involved but there is one in every crowd. Usually two if I'm there. :D

Rick Swines

I traveled to wynne tonight and watched one of the best games I've seen in high school. Both defenses were awesome. Morrilton's qb is a beast. He made throws I am still not believing. Wynnes defensive coaches did a great job adjusting after morrilton scored in 50 seconds in the 1st quarter.

I felt like morrilton was the better team tonight. A fumble in the 2nd quarter hurt the dogs plus a scoop and score by the jackets defense in 3rd. I think morrilton will be state champs within the next 2 years. I hated to see them lose. But after saying all of that the jackets won and I am pulling for them and nettleton next week.

oldjacketman

JacketFan

Wow, no doubt defense wins ball games, and this was a defensive shootout by two very good football teams.  Motown will definitely be in the running the next few years.  The devil dogs came into that game very well prepared, and very well coached, hats off to them.  I honestly think Wynne may have overlooked them a little, but at halftime they knew by then they were in a dogfight.  Nothing but respect for Motown and there fans, classy group of people, and we hope to see yall next year in the playoffs.  And Wynne, you have a lot of work this week, so practice hard, study film, and win the next one at home as well.

Mr_Deb

PercussionMan

The game Friday night was absolutely smash mouth football at its finest.  It was definitely one of the top games I have watched in the last several years....well coached on both sides and an unexpected close game by so many who barely gave the Devil Dogs a chance. Both defenses laid it all out on the field and played their hearts out for their team.  I saw the "frustration" in some of the Wynne players going off the field for halftime....the body language showed....you could tell they didn't expect Morrilton's defense to be that good at all....they knew they were in for a battle the whole way.  The fact that Morrilton held Wynne to one offensive touchdown that didn't happen until inside 3:00 to go in the game showed how well prepared they were.  Myself and the folks around were talking about how it would either come down to the last possession or someone making a mistake, and it did.  The fumble at the goal line (if he was trying to stretch for the goal line, got to be smarter about it and play for the next down) and the fumble that led to the scoop and score (got to fall on it instead of trying to pick it up) were killer....game changers in a game that is that close.  I won't say much about how bad the officials were at times, because Morrilton still had their chances and shot themselves in the foot.  Very proud of how hard and smart we played most of the game.  Just a handful of plays that needed to go the other way but didn't. Hats off to the Devil Dogs for never quitting and putting it all out there on the field.  Hats off to the Yellow Jackets also for finding a way to pull out the victory.   

Our young QB has been praised a lot, which he deserves....he looked good at times and made some excellent plays, but he also looked like a sophomore at times and made some mistakes....I'm sure it's part of growing and maturing into that next level.  We saw the same thing from Hawkins at Wynne in 2012....overthrowing wide open receivers and such at the worst times....he had a huge turn around to his senior season.  I expect Criswell will be even better as a Junior and then as a Senior.  I don't know who all we lose this year and who all we have coming back next year, but I would expect Morrilton to take care of business next season at critical times and get a #1 or #2 seed and a home playoff game with our QB's experience now. 

chaingang

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 17, 2017, 08:09:04 pm
Typical Wynne fans. You've done the same thing all year. Morrilton just isn't lrca. They have a better defense than lrca. Y'all are ridiculous to complain about a coach that has accomplished as much as he has.. especially doing it this year. If y'all don't like his play calling, don't watch. He's led y'all to one loss and you're one of 8 teams left.

The reality is that morrilton is just better on defense than the other teams.
There is no Y'ALL to it......one guy and that's all I ever hear is him.....so stop using that Y'ALL CRAP , the guy you are talking about doesn't know the difference between Football and FUDGECYCLES !!!!!!

chaingang

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 17, 2017, 08:09:04 pm
Typical Wynne fans. You've done the same thing all year. Morrilton just isn't lrca. They have a better defense than lrca. Y'all are ridiculous to complain about a coach that has accomplished as much as he has.. especially doing it this year. If y'all don't like his play calling, don't watch. He's led y'all to one loss and you're one of 8 teams left.

The reality is that morrilton is just better on defense than the other teams.
There is no Y'ALL to it......one guy and that's all I ever hear is him.....so stop using that Y'ALL CRAP , the guy you are talking about doesn't know the difference between Football and FUDGECYCLES !!!!!!

the voice

Word I got was that the swirling wind was affecting the passing game. That's one of Jacoby's greatest strengths , his accuracy and arm strength. Was told of the wind by a guy on sideline. I wasn't there but that's what I was told. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: chaingang on November 19, 2017, 01:05:05 pm

Sorry chain. It was a couple of people this past Friday though. I know it's probably not the majority. Just some that post on here.

PercussionMan

Quote from: the voice on November 19, 2017, 01:08:39 pm
Word I got was that the swirling wind was affecting the passing game. That's one of Jacoby's greatest strengths , his accuracy and arm strength. Was told of the wind by a guy on sideline. I wasn't there but that's what I was told. 

Yes, the wind was swirling most of the game (the drive over was very windy also....nothing in the flat delta to block it off of you)....he did hit one deep pass over the middle for about a 30-yard TD to Wofford....right after he busted off a big run.  But, the passing game overall was not what we needed it to be for the night....I think "Criswell to Criswell" only happened 2-3 times....and, I believe Dillard may have only had 2-3 receptions as well.  We really needed those two guys and Adams to all have big games. 

AT

Perhaps this hasn't been talked about much because Wynne punted soon after, but I am watching the replay of this game on the Morrilton community channel and that "incomplete pass" around midfield late in the 3rd quarter by Wynne when he got rocked hard by the Morrilton defensive player was a fumble, no doubt. Big missed call there. Might have been picked up for 6 by Morrilton if whistles don't blow to make it 14-3.

the voice

Yeah I was listening to the game and that's what they were saying.

AT

I just finished watching.

Morrilton honestly made the most mistakes which is what cost them the victory. Play a little cleaner game and Morrilton wins that one.

Wynne stuck to their guns and played solid defense and didn't panic, though. Good football team.

One thing I found strange was that on the drive to either tie it up or win, Criswell gets sacked to make it 2nd and long. I know the clock is running and it is under a minute, but I don't agree with Morrilton's decision to spike it there. I think you have to run a play. They spiked it and made it 3rd and long, meaning they only had two downs to get those yards instead of 3. Just another thought. Tough call there.

the voice

oldjacketman

No doubt wynne won the game by outplaying morrilton. Give them their due.

Chip

I was on the sidelines last week and this is my opinion.  Wynne did not play up to their standards and I think Morrilton played one of their better games.  I noticed one thing on the Wynne's sidelines from both their players and coaches, there was never a sign of panic at any time.  They knew they were going to win the game, there was no doubt.  When they got the ball with 5 minutes left down 14-10 my brother called me, he was watching the game online and he said, "they'll move the ball when they have to, final score will be 17-14".  That's exactly what happened.  Not taking anything away from Morrilton, they came to play but Wynne did what they had to do to win the game.

What helped Wynne is the experience of playing in big games.  This is the 3rd time in the last 4 years and 4th time in the last 6 years that they are practicing on Thanksgiving.  That type of experience and culture helps put you over the top in games that maybe you didn't play your best.  Morrilton on the other hand is a little different.  If memory serves me correct they have only advanced past the second round twice since 1991.  They did it in 2005 when they lost to Greenwood in the finals and again in 2013 when they won in the finals.  I like the idea of being in the thick of things on a consistent basis rather than making noise every 8-10 years or so.  Again, just my opinion.

I know the 2 turnovers hurt Morrilton and last year they said they hobbled into the game with some key injuries. Well that's football, turnovers always play a role in the outcome of the game and at this time of the year most players are nicked up to some degree. 

It was a great atomsphere and an enjoyable game to watch.  I wish the Jackets the best in the upcoming game against LRM.

2006 Wynne 31 Morrilton 6  Second round
2012 Wynne 39 Morrilton 20 Second round
2016 Wynne 50 Morrilton 21 First round
2017 Wynne 17 Morrilton 14 Second round

the voice

November 22, 2017, 10:17:10 am #195 Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 10:20:49 am by the voice
Yeah well we prefer to win when we do get there. Everyone knows Wynne returned a loaded team.
Morrilton is in hunt and we are very proud of what coach mcnabb is doing cousin. Just like when Chris was here. It's noted what you think of morrilton, those guys are gone. We got a good thing going. I stood up for coach hill over and over and was very hurt when he left here. I'm sorry after all this time you still have to make a dig at your Alma Mater.

Coach hill turned Wynne into a winner again. I'm happy for them and the success he had. Wynne won the game last week. Our opinions are different on who was the better team that night but that's not surprising. I'm going to be loyal to my teams as always. I don't jump from team to team.

Morrilton is going to be just fine as long as mcnabb is there. I wish y'all a happy thanksgiving and good luck in the next round.

ricefarmer

Chip, aka Chris Hill In Person still making digs on his Alma mater?? Nawwww..imagine that.  Heck he complained the whole time at wynne !

Chip

Voice, you're right that admin is gone and they could not have made a better hire than Halbrook.  Shawn and I go way back and he was one of my best friends growing up and I still consider him a friend.  I know Chris likes McNabb and we both think he's done a good job at Morrilton and will continue to do a great job. 

For the past 6 years I have spent many hours, weekends, etc. at Wynne.  I've grown to love those kids, coaches, and parents over there.  I do root for those kids, I want them to be successful.

I was just trying to point out that in my opinion that it helps to have been in big games in the past to win big games in the future.  Hope you and your family has a great Thanksgiving as well.

Ricefarter, wrong again!  You're really good at being wrong!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here on Fearless!!!

PercussionMan

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 20, 2017, 08:38:34 pm
Perhaps this hasn't been talked about much because Wynne punted soon after, but I am watching the replay of this game on the Morrilton community channel and that "incomplete pass" around midfield late in the 3rd quarter by Wynne when he got rocked hard by the Morrilton defensive player was a fumble, no doubt. Big missed call there. Might have been picked up for 6 by Morrilton if whistles don't blow to make it 14-3.

Yeah....we were talking about that during the game.  Live, it looked like the QB never got his arm going forward....looked like an almost certain scoop-and-score before the zebras blew it dead.  Also, a lot of folks thought the Wynne QB got away with intentional grounding on 3rd and 12 late in the game.

PercussionMan

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 20, 2017, 08:56:17 pm
I just finished watching.

Morrilton honestly made the most mistakes which is what cost them the victory. Play a little cleaner game and Morrilton wins that one.

Wynne stuck to their guns and played solid defense and didn't panic, though. Good football team.

One thing I found strange was that on the drive to either tie it up or win, Criswell gets sacked to make it 2nd and long. I know the clock is running and it is under a minute, but I don't agree with Morrilton's decision to spike it there. I think you have to run a play. They spiked it and made it 3rd and long, meaning they only had two downs to get those yards instead of 3. Just another thought. Tough call there.

You're right, Almatrackster....Morrilton made a couple of bonehead plays (fumble at the goal line when they should have gone up 14-3) and the fumbled "scoop-and-score" in the 3rd when we were up still 7-3.  Had a chance to win with a score of 21-10 or even 14-10, but just couldn't get it done.

I agree with you on the spiking the ball play....I think Criswell must have forgotten it was already 4th down, because he chucked the ball way out of bounds over everyone's heads with about 50 seconds left to end the game.  That may be the sophomore side coming out on that one.  But, I give him credit for stepping up and converting those two 4th downs before that to keep the drive and game alive and give us a chance.

I think we will be pretty good in the next few seasons for sure going forward....just have to capitalize when we need to the most.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas