• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Conference Alignment

Started by sevenof400, August 24, 2014, 03:33:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

August 24, 2014, 03:33:41 pm Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:13:43 am by sevenof400
Please note this link points to a AAA document which lists the starting point for conferences in all sports. 

As you may be aware, there can be some movement between conferences within classes. 

Let's use this thread to post the latest info on conference alignment in 2015 for all classes.   

Edit: I have updatd the link in this post to point at the current conference alignment for soccer.

Lionheart88

5A West Girls is going to be insanely competitive this year.  In addition to perennial powerhouses Harrison and Greenbrier, you have LRCA sliding over and 4A runner-up Maumelle rising in.  Yikes!

The boys side won't be much less competitive, either.

The Coach

Quote from: Lionheart88 on September 08, 2014, 06:49:50 pm
5A West Girls is going to be insanely competitive this year.  In addition to perennial powerhouses Harrison and Greenbrier, you have LRCA sliding over and 4A runner-up Maumelle rising in.  Yikes!

The boys side won't be much less competitive, either.

It'll be Harrison and LRCA in girls then everyone else. Harrison will be very strong again next yr. Maumelle will prolly be a distant 3rd.

Boys it'll be LRCA then everyone else. Harrison will be ok and Maumelle should be solid.

sevenof400

We should be less than one month away before we learn what AAA will do with respect to the current conference alignment for soccer. As of today, there are definitely some issues to address:

• 5A with a serious imbalance between the conferences somewhat minimized as Blytheville apparently will not have a team this year, the 5A currently sits in a 5/6/7/8 alignment with the four conferences.  There is absolutely no reason AAA should not move one team from the conference of eight to the conference of five to create better distribution. However....
  • What about JA Fair and LR McClellan?  If I recall correctly, both of these teams forfeited games at some point throughout conference play due to low numbers.  Add to that the fact that neither school has a girls team and you have a different imbalance on the girls side than the boys side.  Would AAA make separate conferences for boys and girls play?  It is a thought worth considering...
  • 4A Holy cow - what a mess.  13/11/10/10.  I believe the 4A-1 last year split in a North/South arrangement and had a season ending conference tournament to identify the teams advancing to the state tournament.  One would have to believe this will be the case again this year, especially given the season game limits from AAA.

Lionheart88

Having separate conferences for boys and girls would needlessly complicate scheduling.  If they move McClellan to the South, that yields the following Boy/Girl splits:

Central: 7/6
East: 6/6
South: 6/5
West: 7/7

Which is about as equitable as it can be.  The only other viable option I can see would be moving Mills instead of McClellan, which would give the Central 7/5 and the South 6/6.  Take your pick.

The Coach

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 16, 2014, 09:23:58 am
We should be less than one month away before we learn what AAA will do with respect to the current conference alignment for soccer. As of today, there are definitely some issues to address:

• 5A with a serious imbalance between the conferences somewhat minimized as Blytheville apparently will not have a team this year, the 5A currently sits in a 5/6/7/8 alignment with the four conferences.  There is absolutely no reason AAA should not move one team from the conference of eight to the conference of five to create better distribution. However....
  • What about JA Fair and LR McClellan?  If I recall correctly, both of these teams forfeited games at some point throughout conference play due to low numbers.  Add to that the fact that neither school has a girls team and you have a different imbalance on the girls side than the boys side.  Would AAA make separate conferences for boys and girls play?  It is a thought worth considering...
  • 4A Holy cow - what a mess.  13/11/10/10.  I believe the 4A-1 last year split in a North/South arrangement and had a season ending conference tournament to identify the teams advancing to the state tournament.  One would have to believe this will be the case again this year, especially given the season game limits from AAA.

4A-1 is not doing a tournament this yr.

hst

December 18, 2014, 02:24:05 pm #6 Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:17:55 pm by hst
Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 16, 2014, 11:49:13 am
Having separate conferences for boys and girls would needlessly complicate scheduling.  If they move McClellan to the South, that yields the following Boy/Girl splits:

Which is about as equitable as it can be.  The only other viable option I can see would be moving Mills instead of McClellan, which would give the Central 7/5 and the South 6/6.  Take your pick.

I agree either one of these for 5A would be the best to try and balance, but given that the south and the central both have their schedules set for conference play, I do not see the AAA making this change. If I recall, the central has had their schedule set for nearly two months if not longer.

The south will once again be mirroring the baseball softball schedule, which is def not ideal considering their are 5 soccer schools and 8 Baseball/softball schools.

As for 4A, the season limit on games combined with 4 large conferences doesnt make for the best of situations either. They need to increase the number of conferences in 4A or split 4A and 3A and below.

The popularity rise of the sport is a positive of all of this however!

VHSCoach2

Quote from: hst on December 18, 2014, 02:24:05 pm

I agree either one of these for 5A would be the best to try and balance, but given that the south and the central both have their schedules set for conference play, I do not see the AAA making this change. If I recall, the central has had their schedule set for nearly two months if not longer.

The south will once again be mirroring the baseball softball schedule, which is def not ideal considering their are 5 soccer schools and 8 Baseball/softball schools.

As for 4A, the season limit on games combined with 4 large conferences doesnt make for the best of situations either. They need to increase the number of conferences in 4A or split 4A and 3A and below.

If the South/Central are like the West, they set a "backup" conference schedule if one of the teams gets moved to another conference. With a bit of deducing, it would be easy for them to see which of their teams would most likely be moved, and create an alternate conference schedule without that school on it just in case it happened. As it stands now, however, I do not see any team being moved.

beeroe

The large size of the 4A conference knocks the wind out of just about any 2A or 1A school. This means that a 2A school is playing a school that is twice its size. I assure that a 6A or 7A school would not stand for it. But the small schools have no voice. I promise you that will not see a 2A public school qualify for state from 4A-1.

Last year the 4A-1 did have a post season playoff which the larger schools voted out. They were affraid that they may not make it. Meanwhile small schools loose any hope of post season play. This means they will fight to keep players motivated all season long. Its all a shame.

So while we maybe seeing growth in the sport. And while soccer could be an excellent and affordable sport for small schools, dont expect the momentum to continue. Why would a small school want to declare if they have no chance of winning? Sure the larger schools have fun seeing how bad they can beat the small teams... so lame. 

MDXPHD

The 5A west girls will have a serious advantage over other teams because of who they have to play throughout the year.  It will be fun to watch LRCA and Harrison girls play 3 times, assuming they are doing a double round robin again for conference play. 

hst

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on December 18, 2014, 07:06:28 pm
Quote from: hst on December 18, 2014, 02:24:05 pm

If the South/Central are like the West, they set a "backup" conference schedule if one of the teams gets moved to another conference. With a bit of deducing, it would be easy for them to see which of their teams would most likely be moved, and create an alternate conference schedule without that school on it just in case it happened. As it stands now, however, I do not see any team being moved.

I wish. Our conference AD's decided together that it should follow baseball regardless of how many teams are fielded in the south. So as for a backup plan, the only thing we were told was that makeup games will be on Saturdays. I assume if they moved a team into conference that's when they would expect us to add that game.

hst

Quote from: beeroe on December 19, 2014, 01:26:30 am
The large size of the 4A conference knocks the wind out of just about any 2A or 1A school. This means that a 2A school is playing a school that is twice its size. I assure that a 6A or 7A school would not stand for it. But the small schools have no voice. I promise you that will not see a 2A public school qualify for state from 4A-1.

Last year the 4A-1 did have a post season playoff which the larger schools voted out. They were affraid that they may not make it. Meanwhile small schools loose any hope of post season play. This means they will fight to keep players motivated all season long. Its all a shame.

So while we maybe seeing growth in the sport. And while soccer could be an excellent and affordable sport for small schools, dont expect the momentum to continue. Why would a small school want to declare if they have no chance of winning? Sure the larger schools have fun seeing how bad they can beat the small teams... so lame.

Clearly why a split would be needed with 3A/2A/1A playing together to start and a separate 4A. With around 10 teams in each conference in 4A (give or take) something is going to have to be done.

sevenof400

December 19, 2014, 01:26:47 pm #12 Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:32:13 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: hst on December 19, 2014, 12:34:04 pm
Clearly why a split would be needed with 3A/2A/1A playing together to start and a separate 4A. With around 10 teams in each conference in 4A (give or take) something is going to have to be done.

I did the following rather quickly (so I may have a few schools in the wrong class....please let me know if I do)....

If you separate the current 4A schools away from the combined lowest class and then made separate 4A and 3/2/1A divisions, I don't think the numbers would work at first (and that is to say nothing of the distances). 

4A/1 Schools
(3A/1 East) Bergman
(4A/1) Berryville
(3A/4) Danville
(4A/4) Dardanelle
(2A/4) Decatur (B)
(2A/4 West) Eureka Springs
(4A/1) Gentry
(3A/1) Green Forrest
(4A/1) Huntsville
(1A/East) Lead Hill (B)
(4A/1) Prairie Grove
(4A/1) Shiloh Christian (G)     
(4A/4) Subiaco (B)   

4A/2 Schools
(2A/4 East) Academics Plus (B)
(4A/7) Arkadelphia
(4A/4) Arkansas Baptist
(4A/2) Central Arkansas Christian
(3A/7) Centerpoint (B)
(3A/7) Cossatot River
(2A/7) Gurdon
(3A/5) Harmony Grove, Haskell
(4A/7) Malvern
(4A/7) Mena
(4A/4) Pulaski Robinson   

4A/3 Schools
(4A/3) Brookland
(2A/5) Conway Christian
(2A/3) Crowleys Ridge (B)
(4A/2) Heber Springs
(1A/5) Jacksonville Lighthouse Charter
(3A/1) Mountain View
(4A/2) Riverview
(2A/4 East) St. Joseph, Conway
(4A/2) Southside, Batesville
(4A/3) Westside, Jonesboro

4A/4 Schools
(4A/5) eStem
(3A/5) Episcopal Collegiate
(4A/8) Hamburg
(2A/8) Hermitage 
(3A/6 or 8) Lakeside, Lake Village
(2A/4 East) LISA Academy
(4A/8) Monticello
(4A/8) Star City
(4A/2) Stuttgart
(4A/8) Warren

So let's parse this out....

4A/1 Schools
(4A/1) Berryville
(4A/4) Dardanelle
(4A/1) Gentry
(4A/1) Huntsville
(4A/1) Prairie Grove
(4A/1) Shiloh Christian (G)     
(4A/4) Subiaco (B)   

4A/2 Schools
(4A/7) Arkadelphia
(4A/4) Arkansas Baptist
(4A/2) Central Arkansas Christian
(4A/7) Malvern
(4A/7) Mena
(4A/4) Pulaski Robinson   

4A/3 Schools
(4A/3) Brookland
(4A/2) Heber Springs
(4A/2) Riverview
(4A/2) Southside, Batesville
(4A/3) Westside, Jonesboro

4A/4 Schools
(4A/5) eStem
(4A/8) Hamburg
(4A/8) Monticello
(4A/8) Star City
(4A/2) Stuttgart
(4A/8) Warren

...leaving the following schools.......

3/2/1A/1 Schools
(3A/1 East) Bergman
(3A/4) Danville
(2A/4) Decatur (B)
(2A/4 West) Eureka Springs
(3A/1) Green Forrest
(1A/East) Lead Hill (B)

3/2/1A/2 Schools
(2A/4 East) Academics Plus (B)
(3A/7) Centerpoint (B)
(3A/7) Cossatot River
(2A/7) Gurdon
(3A/5) Harmony Grove, Haskell

3/2/1A/3 Schools
(2A/5) Conway Christian
(2A/3) Crowleys Ridge (B)
(1A/5) Jacksonville Lighthouse Charter
(3A/1) Mountain View
(2A/4 East) St. Joseph, Conway

3/2/1A/4 Schools
(3A/5) Episcopal Collegiate
(2A/8) Hermitage 
(3A/6 or 8) Lakeside, Lake Village
(2A/4 East) LISA Academy

....in looking at that some more, all of the sudden that doesn't look anywhere near as bad as I thought it would. 

More to follow....

hst

Travel distances for sure would be the hardest about the split along with splitting it into semi-equal numbers. Another solution would be to go to six (6) 4A conferences with two first round byes (which I believe is what football does for 4A if I recall)

beeroe

Or... what if conferences were based on region first and performance second? I know that this is far too logical for Arkansas:

Four Conferences: West, East, South, Central
Each conference has four divisions:

Division 1: Top 8 teams in the region.
Division 2: Teams 9-16 (next 8 best teams)
Division 3: Teams  17-24 (next 8 best teams)
Division 4: What ever is left
At the end of the season the bottom two teams in each division are relegated. The top two teams in lower divisions are promoted.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 19, 2014, 08:43:34 am
The 5A west girls will have a serious advantage over other teams because of who they have to play throughout the year.  It will be fun to watch LRCA and Harrison girls play 3 times, assuming they are doing a double round robin again for conference play.

Double round robin is in play again this season.

The Coach

December 19, 2014, 03:56:27 pm #16 Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:59:45 pm by The Coach
Quote from: beeroe on December 19, 2014, 02:44:22 pm
Or... what if conferences were based on region first and performance second? I know that this is far too logical for Arkansas:

At the end of the season the bottom two teams in each division are relegated. The top two teams in lower divisions are promoted.

Never gonna happen
This is high school soccer not professional soccer. And soccer really isn't a big money making sport that concerns the AAA all that much.

hst

December 19, 2014, 04:48:05 pm #17 Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:51:12 pm by hst
Quote from: The Coach on December 19, 2014, 03:56:27 pm
Quote from: beeroe on December 19, 2014, 02:44:22 pm

Never gonna happen
This is high school soccer not professional soccer. And soccer really isn't a big money making sport that concerns the AAA all that much.

Money & AAA...not enough made from soccer to get their attention. But regardless something needs to be worked out for 4A.

beeroe

It has nothing to do with money... Its about minimizing the distance of travel and about creating match ups that are fair and competitive. While school size is often a good predictor of competitive its not always the case. Take West memphis and Green Forrest as an example.

Give me one decent reason why this would not be better for all kids playing high school soccer.

hst

December 21, 2014, 09:43:30 am #19 Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:46:36 am by hst
Quote from: beeroe on December 19, 2014, 10:22:45 pm
It has nothing to do with money... Its about minimizing the distance of travel and about creating match ups that are fair and competitive. While school size is often a good predictor of competitive its not always the case. Take West memphis and Green Forrest as an example.

Give me one decent reason why this would not be better for all kids playing high school soccer.

I never said that it wouldn't be fair, or wouldn't be competitive.

You are missing my money point all together. Soccer doesn't make the money that Football does and therefore a more suitable alignment based off a variety of factors simply won't come into play. It's not a priority because it doesn't bring in the green.

I wish it would. Maybe this is just my take on it. But I'm on your side of the argument beeroe, I'm all for any proposal that would allow soccer to grow and spread here in our state. But as of right now "it is what it is" until the powers that be decide to make changes to alignments, conferences, competition, etc.

sevenof400

In the end, I think the current configuration of the 4A may be a contributing factor toward  preventing some schools (especially from the 2/1A) from starting a team.  Now that the 4A has enough schools to stand on its own, I'd really like to see the 4A split into a separate classification and the remaining 3/2/1A schools combined.

I am not holding my breath though...

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 22, 2014, 11:01:29 am
In the end, I think the current configuration of the 4A may be a contributing factor toward  preventing some schools (especially from the 2/1A) from starting a team.  Now that the 4A has enough schools to stand on its own, I'd really like to see the 4A split into a separate classification and the remaining 3/2/1A schools combined.

That 3/2/1A 4(2 LR schools and 2 SE Arkansas) conference would have some brutal travel for 2 of their conference games...but could always give the option of playing up if they wanted, like they do for the other sports.

Any Idea where State Tournaments will be at this year?? Might be interested in watching a couple more games this year...if I don't have to travel much beyond Russellville...

MDXPHD

Quote from: HF on December 22, 2014, 09:28:59 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on December 22, 2014, 11:01:29 am

That 3/2/1A 4(2 LR schools and 2 SE Arkansas) conference would have some brutal travel for 2 of their conference games...but could always give the option of playing up if they wanted, like they do for the other sports.

Any Idea where State Tournaments will be at this year?? Might be interested in watching a couple more games this year...if I don't have to travel much beyond Russellville...

5A will probably be Burns or Harrison, like it always is.

chaoslord

I'm curious how much soccer Burns will actually be allowing to happen this spring. The fields are, if we're being honest, in pretty bad shape. With Southern Regionals coming this summer I've heard that they will be limiting things. Showcase of the South might be the only tournament it hosts before then.

But that's all second hand info and could turn out to be very wrong.

MDXPHD

Quote from: chaoslord on December 23, 2014, 07:09:38 am
I'm curious how much soccer Burns will actually be allowing to happen this spring. The fields are, if we're being honest, in pretty bad shape. With Southern Regionals coming this summer I've heard that they will be limiting things. Showcase of the South might be the only tournament it hosts before then.

But that's all second hand info and could turn out to be very wrong.

I could see Harrison hosting it again anyway.  They always do a good job.

Lionheart88

They do, but that doesn't make the drive suck any less if you're coming from the 5A South.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 23, 2014, 10:33:10 am
They do, but that doesn't make the drive suck any less if you're coming from the 5A South.

Or East.  Should all tournaments be hosted in LR then? Burns couldn't handle it. Does Conway have a nice facility?

sevenof400

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 23, 2014, 03:36:26 pm
Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 23, 2014, 10:33:10 am

Or East.  Should all tournaments be hosted in LR then? Burns couldn't handle it. Does Conway have a nice facility?

In a word - no.  Even at its best, Centennial Park would only have been able to hold two classes concurrently and the shape of that complex over the past few years has declined markedly.

Actually, Burns could handle ALL of the state tournaments being played there concurrently - from the standpoint of fields (meaning they have enough). 

4A needs 4 fields
5A needs 4 fields
6A needs 4 fields
7A needs 2 fields

Total 14 fields on day one (and the need for the number of fields would drop as the tournament progresses).

sevenof400

I want to throw this possibility out there as well.

I don't think enough schools, communities, etc are being creative enough when it comes to bidding for a state tournament.  Let's use an example where the tournament needs four fields for concurrent play. 

Too many schools (probably the AD in many cases) look at that requirement and automatically think "well, that knocks us out of the running" and never give the idea of bidding on the tournament another thought.  Most schools only have one field (usually their football field) and hosting a AAA event is a lot of pain so I suspect most AD's conclude: "why bother".

There is nothing stopping four schools from getting together and submitting a bid.  In fact, this approach could be useful in having each area of the state hold a 'regional' (i.e. one fourth of the state bracket) at their facility.  Just to put some totally random names to this idea, let's say that Hot Springs, Morrilton, Batesville, and White Hall all joined together to host the 5A state tournament.

One quarter of the state tournament could be placed at each location - not so many games that it overwhelms any one volunteer staff.  Spread out like this, prep for the tournament would not be all that much on one school. 

The same idea could also work with four schools in a narrower area - ideally around a big city.  Again, Hot Springs comes to mind since there would be enough facilities in town (Hot Springs, Lakeside, Lake Hamilton and one more field) could make this work in Hot Springs. 

The point here is no requirement exists that all four fields have to be in the same location.   

Lionheart88

If they could get PB and UAPB to help out, White Hall could host.  White Hall and PB's school fields, UAPB's, and the White Hall Soccer Assiciation's field (which is admittedly kind of small and not in great shape).  Likewise, Hot Springs and Lakeside could go in together using their fields, Lake Hamilton, and a fourth field from somewhere.  Malvern maybe?

But those sorts of arrangements would get complicated quickly, I doubt any AD wants the hassle of dealing with several other ADs to coordinate it.

Sir Alex

Another problem you may run into is that one coach is the head for both teams.  Playing at different sites would make for some interesting choices to be made.   I do like the thought process of multiple schools hosting.  Could be done in LR for sure. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Sir Alex on December 24, 2014, 01:48:47 pm
Another problem you may run into is that one coach is the head for both teams.  Playing at different sites would make for some interesting choices to be made.   I do like the thought process of multiple schools hosting.  Could be done in LR for sure. 

Russellville kinda did it for 6A last year...2 sites across town from each other...But the multiple sites across the state would definitely result in some logistical issues if the school had 1 coach for 2 teams...

The Coach

Quote from: HF on December 25, 2014, 08:02:43 pm
Quote from: Sir Alex on December 24, 2014, 01:48:47 pm
But the multiple sites across the state would definitely result in some logistical issues if the school had 1 coach for 2 teams...

Across the state? Couldn't be done nor would it be done.

sevenof400

Quote from: The Coach on December 28, 2014, 09:42:25 pm
Across the state? Couldn't be done nor would it be done.

It absolutely could be done.  BUT it would require some coordination and planning - which I agree does not happen often with AAA and any sport (let alone soccer). 

Spreading the state tournament might produce less of a strain on referee resources (which is one onf many factors that should be considered as well). 

hst

December 30, 2014, 03:51:42 pm #34 Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:56:39 pm by hst
Hot Springs would have three soccer playing high schools in Hot Springs, Lakeside, and Lake Hamilton. Malvern is around 12 miles from Lakeside south, 4 lane highway so it would be the closest logical possibility, making 4 turfed, pre-lined fields, unless you would look at using one grass field at Kimery or Linden Parks. These fields would take A LOT of work to be able to host just one game, and I don't believe any of them have lights as well. Hot Springs Soccer Association also has Munro field but I believe it would probably be pretty close to how the other city park fields are in getting prepped to host state.

Fountain Lake is just up the road from Hot Springs but their turf field does not have soccer lines. Jessieville is a few miles beyond that but you look at taking the same amount of time as it would to get to Malvern.

Lionheart you are right...Hosting a tournament here would take a lot of coordination between the schools and coaches and ADs....I think some would be OK with it and some would not. Plus you have to think about 4A Malvern and 6A Lake Hamilton letting 5A schools use their facilities with no vested interest.

As for Burns, I suspect that with the big tournament there coming up that they will not be allowing the use of park for state soccer this year. I have also heard that Hope might be bidding for state to be there.

Harrison has good facilities...but it is a long drive for the majority of the teams in the state, especially those of us here in the South (DeQueen, Hope, etc).

Go Postal

January 04, 2015, 04:46:50 pm #35 Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 04:59:21 pm by Go Postal
Looking at the West conference tentative alignment on the boys/girls...

I'm glad that Vilonia boys are back in the West, as in other sports, though they might not like it since they have had East conference Champs in the last few years.  Makes the West boys even more competitive.

I'm glad that LRCA boys/girls are back once again into the West.  They were always competitive when they were in our conference and very competitive in playoffs when they were not.

Maumelle boys/girls, you have big shoes to fill replacing our old West teams, Greenwood, Shiloh Christian (G) and especially our "pain in the backside" Siloam Springs.  Play hard and enjoy the competitiveness.  The West is always a hard fought conference to go to the boys/girls playoffs.

That said...

My favorite best now 5A teams that I have seen over the years are,

Boys (there are a lot of great 5A teams out there, but):
Harrison (6 State Championships, 1 State Runner-up to LRCA)
DeQueen (four 4A and one 5A State Championships with two 5A semifinals) though I was very impressed with the South Conference having three teams in the semis and two in the finals last year.
LRCA (3 State Championships, 1 State runner-up to Harrison)
HS Lakeside (4 State Runner-ups to Siloam Springs, DeQueen, Harrison)
Greenbrier (West conference champs in the last years).
Vilonia (East conference champs in the last years).

Girls:
Harrison (4 State Championships, 2 State Runner-ups to SC, PA)
PA (6 State Championships, 3 State Runner-ups to Harrison, CAC, LRCA)
LRCA (2 State Championships, 5 State Runner-ups to Harrison, CAC, PA)

Anyway, boys and girls,  these are the teams to beat IMO.  Good Luck and may the better team prevail this season.

theeunderdog4

DHS#1

Quote from: beeroe on December 19, 2014, 01:26:30 am

i think they should of had the regional tourney again.
and why talk about 2a schools not making state. when Danville moved up to 3a in (fall of 2012) and being the smallest 3a school. that same year they started a soccer program which they qualified to state in 2013 & the year after that. size dont matter just has to do with the talent you have.

Go Postal

January 06, 2015, 08:40:48 pm #38 Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:47:35 pm by Go Postal
I have a question for those in the know.  Let's say for instance, the 5A playoff site bids were Hope and Harrison or any other 5A school, can they also bid to host other conferences as well to use their facilities?  Like 2A/3A/4A?    Or does the 2A/3A/4A schools coordinate with the 5A school to see if they can put a bid at that facility?  How does that work?

I would think that the smaller schools would love to play on better pitches that the bigger 5A schools have for their 4A playoffs.  It would be great to the players to play at at a better regulation pitch (not some small football field) and keep the soccer interest going for the 2A/3A/4A athletes/fans/schools.
I believe (Sir Alex correct me if I'm wrong) that local Harrison area teams (Bergman, Berryville, Eureka Springs, Green Forest, Huntsville and Lead Hill (B)) have played on our pitches at one time or another.

But that is just local teams.  Travel for playoffs for any conference is huge in Arkansas, not just in soccer, but in any sport.  Can't get around it in the "Natural State".  But the great teams out there make it a pleasure to see no matter where it is at in any sport.

Soccer is a young "Old World" sport in Arkansas.  More people are getting use to and enjoying this sport.  They are starting to realize that this Country is not just a Football/Basketball/Baseball nation (which I love also).  Slowly, but surely.  Once you learn how it is played and the rules, it is as enjoyable as the first time you ever seen one of those other sports.
Heck, even HF went to see some games last year.  So anything is possible.  LOL.  Now if we could get Alma fans on the same bandwagon. Priceless ;)

Because that soccer is growing in the State, I do like seven's suggestion of a 3A/2A conference.  Makes this sport stronger, by getting more smaller schools in to this program, not by just playing one of those other sports.  There might be another Pele out there, if given the chance.

Hey, fearlessfriday gave us recognition back in '07 to start our own forum (Kudos and thank you to you guys and gals), maybe the AAA will someday get a clue on the other sports that people want also.

...Done with my novel, getting off my soapbox now.  LOL...

DogsWin7

Lionheart88

Quote from: Go Postal on January 06, 2015, 08:40:48 pm
I have a question for those in the know.  Let's say for instance, the 5A playoff site bids were Hope and Harrison or any other 5A school, can they also bid to host other conferences as well to use their facilities?  Like 2A/3A/4A?    Or does the 2A/3A/4A schools coordinate with the 5A school to see if they can put a bid at that facility?  How does that work?

I would think that the smaller schools would love to play on better pitches that the bigger 5A schools have for their 4A playoffs.  It would be great to the players to play at at a better regulation pitch (not some small football field) and keep the soccer interest going for the 2A/3A/4A athletes/fans/schools.
I believe (Sir Alex correct me if I'm wrong) that local Harrison area teams (Bergman, Berryville, Eureka Springs, Green Forest, Huntsville and Lead Hill (B)) have played on our pitches at one time or another.

But that is just local teams.  Travel for playoffs for any conference is huge in Arkansas, not just in soccer, but in any sport.  Can't get around it in the "Natural State".  But the great teams out there make it a pleasure to see no matter where it is at in any sport.

Soccer is a young "Old World" sport in Arkansas.  More people are getting use to and enjoying this sport.  They are starting to realize that this Country is not just a Football/Basketball/Baseball nation (which I love also).  Slowly, but surely.  Once you learn how it is played and the rules, it is as enjoyable as the first time you ever seen one of those other sports.
Heck, even HF went to see some games last year.  So anything is possible.  LOL.  Now if we could get Alma fans on the same bandwagon. Priceless ;)

Because that soccer is growing in the State, I do like seven's suggestion of a 3A/2A conference.  Makes this sport stronger, by getting more smaller schools in to this program, not by just playing one of those other sports.  There might be another Pele out there, if given the chance.

Hey, fearlessfriday gave us recognition back in '07 to start our own forum (Kudos and thank you to you guys and gals), maybe the AAA will someday get a clue on the other sports that people want also.

...Done with my novel, getting off my soapbox now.  LOL...
Seems like one of the smaller programs hosted (or at least bid on) the "Soccer 4A" tournament and was planning on hosing through Harrison's city soccer complex.  I think.  I've never heard of a program bidding outside their own classification.  I'm guessing hosting soccer isn't lucrative enough for, say, LRCA to bid to host the 6A tournament.

chaoslord

Here are the bids.

SOCCER
State, May 14-16
Class 7A: Cabot (boys), Bryant (girls)
Class 6A: El Dorado, Searcy
Class 5A: Harrison, Hope
Class 4A: No Bid

7A is decided then, 6A and 5A will get decided Thursday. The no bid for 4A makes me think that Burns definitely told people "No". Still guessing about that but otherwise CAC surely would have bid for it again? Don't know what will happen about that.

Final of course still up in Fayetteville.

GenesisGuzman16

Quote from: chaoslord on January 12, 2015, 02:28:35 pm
Here are the bids.

SOCCER

6A will get decided Thursday.

I hope El Dorado gets the tournament this year. We upgraded our grass fields with nets behind each goals and I was told new benches were going to be installed on the main field. We have beautiful facilities and a great town atmosphere!

Lionheart88

I'd like to see that, but Searcy will probably get it.  Can't have north Arkansas having to drive all the way to the far border.  That privilege is reserved for south Arkansas teams going to Harrison and/or Fayetteville. ::)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 12, 2015, 05:37:25 pm
I'd like to see that, but Searcy will probably get it.  Can't have north Arkansas having to drive all the way to the far border.  That privilege is reserved for south Arkansas teams going to Harrison and/or Fayetteville. ::)

Give it time...It'll end up like smaller class basketball and they force the northern teams to "Share" state with the Louis...umm South Arkansas Teams :D

Go Postal

Here are the bids.

SOCCER
State, May 14-16

7A is decided then, 6A and 5A will get decided Thursday. The no bid for 4A makes me think that Burns definitely told people "No". Still guessing about that but otherwise CAC surely would have bid for it again? Don't know what will happen about that.

This is kind of what I was talking about.  No bid for 4A.  Let's say, for instance, that El Dorado gets the 6A bid and Hope gets the 5A bid.  So could Searcy and Harrison bid again to host the 4A?  I'm just curious because the 4A could have their playoffs on better fields of the bigger teams.
Travel will still be far no matter where the playoffs are since Burns is out of the picture.  That is life in Arkansas playoffs for any sport.

On a 5A note:  How are the condition and what kind of pitches does Hope have?  Just curious because Harrison does have their 3 grass and 1 turf pitch.  Like I said earlier, still a lot of distance to drive for teams to either school.

side note:  Good Luck to 6A Searcy and 5A Harrison boys/girls teams to maintain or surpass the most boys/girls State Championships for 1st place in the State of Arkansas.  Remember 5A PA and 7A Bentonville boys/girls teams are knocking on the back door as follows...
10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
10 Harrison (6B / 4G)
9 Pulaski Academy (3B / 6G)
8 Bentonville (2B / 6G)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Go Postal on January 12, 2015, 08:11:29 pm
Here are the bids.

SOCCER
State, May 14-16

This is kind of what I was talking about.  No bid for 4A.  Let's say, for instance, that El Dorado gets the 6A bid and Hope gets the 5A bid.  So could Searcy and Harrison bid again to host the 4A?  I'm just curious because the 4A could have their playoffs on better fields of the bigger teams.
Travel will still be far no matter where the playoffs are since Burns is out of the picture.  That is life in Arkansas playoffs for any sport.

On a 5A note:  How are the condition and what kind of pitches does Hope have?  Just curious because Harrison does have their 3 grass and 1 turf pitch.  Like I said earlier, still a lot of distance to drive for teams to either school.

side note:  Good Luck to 6A Searcy and 5A Harrison boys/girls teams to maintain or surpass the most boys/girls State Championships for 1st place in the State of Arkansas.  Remember 5A PA and 7A Bentonville boys/girls teams are knocking on the back door as follows...
10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
10 Harrison (6B / 4G)
8 Bentonville (2B / 6G)

I know in 1A basketball that Prescott and Clinton have hosted it before...I know Clinton was possibly a co-host deal with near by Shirley, but not sure of the situation concerning Prescott though.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Go Postal on January 12, 2015, 08:11:29 pm
Here are the bids.

SOCCER
State, May 14-16

10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
10 Harrison (6B / 4G)
8 Bentonville (2B / 6G)
Hope has turf at their football stadium (which is very nice for soccer, no track getting in the way).  I have no idea what other 3 fields they're planning to use.

VHSCoach2

Hope has a soccer complex, I do believe.  If that is whay they are planning on using if they win the bid, it's located just off of Highway 174 and has four fields fully equipped with scoreboards and lights, with a central pavilion, restroom, and concession stand.

Sir Alex

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 12, 2015, 05:37:25 pm

Which is why everyone has the opportunity to bid.  North Arkansas must have the AAA in their back pocket.  If you look back to the last two 5A bids, two years ago Harrison and LRCA bid, LRCA did not show up to the selection meeting, last year only Harrison bid.  Quite often the bid is gained by default.  You pretty much have no chance of winning a bid if you don't show up to the meeting and make your case for hosting.  Or at least that is what I have been told. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas