• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 4A state champions were defeated by the 1A state runner-ups. TWICE.

Started by D6Bound, March 10, 2019, 11:40:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

D6Bound

So why hasn't anyone talked about Magnolia winning 4A? That makes 1A look GREAT this year because Nevada beat Magnolia twice by double digits with no missing players from what I've been hearing. So maybe the "big boys" aren't so "big" after all. Nevada and ICC represented their classification well this year!

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 11:40:11 am
So why hasn't anyone talked about Magnolia winning 4A? That makes 1A look GREAT this year because Nevada beat Magnolia twice by double digits with no missing players from what I've been hearing. So maybe the "big boys" aren't so "big" after all. Nevada and ICC represented their classification well this year!

Nevada beat them by 15 at Nevada. Which everybody knows an early out of conference loss on the road shouldn't be taken so seriously. Then Nevada beat them by 2 in a tournament. Magnolia had an extremely young team and anything can happen no matter how good of a team you are. So I wouldn't look too far into because I watched both games and there is no way Nevada would be within 20 of Nevada the way they played last night. Mills is one of the top teams in the state regardless of classification. Magnolia will be back if their two freshman remain there.

D6Bound

Quote from: 54Bearkatz2014 on March 10, 2019, 11:46:52 am
Nevada beat them by 15 at Nevada. Which everybody knows an early out of conference loss on the road shouldn't be taken so seriously. Then Nevada beat them by 2 in a tournament. Magnolia had an extremely young team and anything can happen no matter how good of a team you are. So I wouldn't look too far into because I watched both games and there is no way Nevada would be within 20 of Nevada the way they played last night. Mills is one of the top teams in the state regardless of classification. Magnolia will be back if their two freshman remain there.
I see what you're saying, but it sounds as if you're implying that a state contending 4A team didn't take a 1A state contending team seriously at the beginning of the season. And if you ARE implying that then I have to say that you are crazy lol.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 54Bearkatz2014 on March 10, 2019, 11:46:52 am

Nevada wasn't exactly a seasoned crew thenselves.....I think they started 4 sophomores

RedWolf275

If we're going to compare scores, 4A .Jonesboro Westside beat ICC and got murdered by Magnolia. Just saying...

D6Bound

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 10, 2019, 11:50:47 am
Nevada wasn't exactly a seasoned crew thenselves.....I think they started 4 sophomores
I believe Nevada started 4 sophomores and 1 junior in the state finals. So the young and inexperienced card can't work here either. Especially since those big schools are use to all of that better competition all year long.

D6Bound

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 10, 2019, 01:05:05 pm
If we're going to compare scores, 4A .Jonesboro Westside beat ICC and got murdered by Magnolia. Just saying...
Very true. ICC got beat 2 behind Avery Felts's career high 48 point game. We're not ashamed to admit they beat us. That's suppose to happen right?

RedWolf275

Not always. Class B Parkdale (1A now) won the overall tournament back in the 80's. Really good lower classification teams can compete with the bigger schools but it takes a really good one!

MR.GOMAB

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 10, 2019, 01:05:05 pm

Thank you! Like Nevada and ICC are two good teams. It doesn't matter if Nevada beat Magnolia back in December. Magnolia not the same team they were then, now. It's not that serious. Nevada beat Magnolia, ICC blasted Nevada, Westside beat ICC, Magnolia blasted Westside..All that early season stuff dont matter for any of these teams (unless it's a confidence booster for them). It's all about the end goal and three of the four mentioned teams played for a State championship.

D6Bound

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 10, 2019, 01:49:10 pm
Not always. Class B Parkdale (1A now) won the overall tournament back in the 80's. Really good lower classification teams can compete with the bigger schools but it takes a really good one!
I agree with you 100%. The point I'm making is someone from 4A (boss85) posted a week or so earlier implying that ICC would be "average" against the "big boys" so I thought this would be an interesting piece to bring up in response to that. Also, after watching all the state championship games I believe Nevada could have won 2A and 3A this year. And would have competed very well with 4A.

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 02:08:30 pm
I agree with you 100%. The point I'm making is someone from 4A (boss85) posted a week or so earlier implying that ICC would be "average" against the "big boys" so I thought this would be an interesting piece to bring up in response to that. Also, after watching all the state championship games I believe Nevada could have won 2A and 3A this year. And would have competed very well with 4A.

You clearly can't look at this without being biased. Because I promise ICC is great and they might not have been average in 3A or 4A, but they certainly would have had trouble making it through the district, regional and state tournaments in 4A and 3A because of their lack of depth. It would have been exposed multiple times and therefore they would have had a much smaller chance of making it to and winning the finals. Nevada has no shooting. I wasn't impressed ICC should have beat them by more if they play up to their potential. And as far as me being crazy about a 4A team taking a 1A team serious early in the season, I assume you are from ICC and therefore don't have to deal with having boys playing both football and basketball. If you did you'd understand that teams at the beginning of the year fresh off coming in from football, are totally different than the team you will see come tournament time. It just takes time to find a groove. I'm not trying to take anything away from smaller schools. It just isn't fair to compare and say they'd do great night in and night out against the big boys when they saw only a handful of games from large schools.

D6Bound

Quote from: 54Bearkatz2014 on March 10, 2019, 02:38:18 pm
You clearly can't look at this without being biased. Because I promise ICC is great and they might not have been average in 3A or 4A, but they certainly would have had trouble making it through the district, regional and state tournaments in 4A and 3A because of their lack of depth. It would have been exposed multiple times and therefore they would have had a much smaller chance of making it to and winning the finals. Nevada has no shooting. I wasn't impressed ICC should have beat them by more if they play up to their potential. And as far as me being crazy about a 4A team taking a 1A team serious early in the season, I assume you are from ICC and therefore don't have to deal with having boys playing both football and basketball. If you did you'd understand that teams at the beginning of the year fresh off coming in from football, are totally different than the team you will see come tournament time. It just takes time to find a groove. I'm not trying to take anything away from smaller schools. It just isn't fair to compare and say they'd do great night in and night out against the big boys when they saw only a handful of games from large schools.
ICC would not have had any trouble in 3A in the districts or regionals considering they would have been in Clinton's or Tuckerman's region.. And I agree that football schools take time to get their groove. But that's why I think it's significant to bring up that Nevada beat Magnolia TWICE. Which means they definitely didn't overlook them the second time and I figure a 4A state contender losing against a 1A school not only embarrassed them but made them furious coming into that second game...but then Nevada beats them again! So I don't necessarily agree that this isn't a good comparison.

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 02:53:33 pm
ICC would not have had any trouble in 3A in the districts or regionals. And I agree that football schools take time to get their groove. But that's why I think it's significant to bring up that Nevada beat Magnolia TWICE. Which means they definitely didn't overlook them the second time and I figure a 4A state contender losing against a 1A school not only embarrassed them but made them furious coming into that second game...but then Nevada beats them again! So I don't necessarily agree that this isn't a good comparison.

As I said you can't compare that magnolia team that lost to Nevada to the magnolia team that won the finals that was three months ago. They were two different squads because teams grow and gel as the year goes on, also you do know that Tuckerman and Clinton neither one won a game at state? I'm saying If ICC was in 3A they would have more than likely gotten through district no problems, but some of those regions were tough. Not saying they wouldn't win. I'm saying they would have had a much harder time, and would have lost some regular season conference games more than likely. Because having to play Valley Springs 3 times, twice regular season once in district tournament, would have been hard.  There is no way of actually knowing unless they were in 3A though, and that will never happen. And yes sometimes teams overlook other teams and sometimes people just have off nights. Melbourne girls lost to Marmaduke at Marmaduke but beat them 3 other times by 20+ every game is different and everybody matches up different. The hardest part for ICC would have been the wear and tear of playing night in and night out at 100% because I guarantee half their ball games this year they went into cruise control and didn't have to try very hard. I just don't think you can say any of the 1A teams would have breezed through the larger classifications. There is just no way.

D6Bound

Quote from: 54Bearkatz2014 on March 10, 2019, 03:00:24 pm
If ICC was in 3A they would have more than likely gotten through district no problems, but some of those regions were tough. Not saying they wouldn't win. I'm saying they would have had a much harder time. There is no way of actually knowing unless they were in 3A though, and that will never happen. And yes sometimes teams overlook other teams and sometimes people just have off nights. Melbourne girls lost to Marmaduke at Marmaduke but beat them 3 other times by 20+ every game is different and everybody matches up different. The hardest part for ICC would have been the wear and tear of playing night in and night out at 100% because I guarantee half their ball games this year they went into cruise control and didn't have to try very hard. I just don't think you can say any of the 1A teams would have breezed through the larger classifications. There is just no way.
In the two regions ICC would probably be in for 3A the only opponent that might have played ICC close would have been Harding Academy. Im not saying Nevada would breeze through 2A or 3A I'm saying that if they played to their full potential they are as good as any 2A or 3A team this year and could make it to state and maybe win a game in 4A. You say Melbourne lost to Marmaduke and I agree that game was a fluke but what did Melbourne do the next time you say? Beat them like a drum? Why couldn't Magnolia do the same?

boss85

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 02:08:30 pm
Just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that ICC would be average against the big boys. It's just factual that their record was 3-4 against 4a and larger schools this year. The 4 losses were to really good 4a to 6a schools, and the 3 wins were against a couple of good teams in Harber and pine bluff and an average to below average PA team. I think ICC would compete well and win a lot of games in 4a depending on the conference. But they would lose some games along the way and would not dominate every team by 20.  In 5a or 6a playing those teams every week they MIGHT be average. The fact is in 1a they are not playing teams that can compete with them. I would love to see ICC playing in 4a or 5a next year. But that's not going to happen. They will continue beating the other 1a teams by 20 plus every game.

MR.GOMAB

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 03:13:15 pm
In the two regions ICC would probably be in for 3A the only opponent that might have played ICC close would have been Harding Academy. Im not saying Nevada would breeze through 2A or 3A I'm saying that if they played to their full potential they are as good as any 2A or 3A team this year and could make it to state and maybe win a game in 4A. You say Melbourne lost to Marmaduke and I agree that game was a fluke but what did Melbourne do the next time you say? Beat them like a drum? Why couldn't Magnolia do the same?

What did Magnolia Do to you? Lol Yes, Nevada beat Magnolia twice in December. Idc who beat us in the beginning of the season. As long as we dont lose in March and they didnt..Defeated the #2 high school basketball program in Arkansas for the Chip! Again congrats to the Blue Jay's on a great season and two victories over Magnolia.

D6Bound

Quote from: boss85 on March 10, 2019, 04:57:04 pm
Just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that ICC would be average against the big boys. It's just factual that their record was 3-4 against 4a and larger schools this year. The 4 losses were to really good 4a to 6a schools, and the 3 wins were against a couple of good teams in Harber and pine bluff and an average to below average PA team. I think ICC would compete well and win a lot of games in 4a depending on the conference. But they would lose some games along the way and would not dominate every team by 20.  In 5a or 6a playing those teams every week they MIGHT be average. The fact is in 1a they are not playing teams that can compete with them. I would love to see ICC playing in 4a or 5a next year. But that's not going to happen. They will continue beating the other 1a teams by 20 plus every game.
Thanks for clarifying. I agree and I wish they could play more bigger schools, but the fact is that big schools next year will avoid playing against ICC because of the fear factor. I know ICC will play anyone and everyone who challenges them. However, I'm gonna bet ICC will go to more high profile tournaments next season so we may not see them with a regular 4A-6A schedule but we WILL see them play the elite schools in this state, and maybe neighboring states as well.

D6Bound

Quote from: MR.GOMAB on March 10, 2019, 04:57:32 pm
What did Magnolia Do to you? Lol Yes, Nevada beat Magnolia twice in December. Idc who beat us in the beginning of the season. As long as we dont lose in March and they didnt..Defeated the #2 high school basketball program in Arkansas for the Chip! Again congrats to the Blue Jay's on a great season and two victories over Magnolia.
Not taking anything away from you. I know the team that Magnolia was in Hot Springs was likely the best basketball they've played all year. I was just saying it is still impressive that even the state runner-ups in 1A were able to defeat the best team to come out of a very competitive 4A class two times with no missing players.

boss85

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 05:17:04 pm
Thanks for clarifying. I agree and I wish they could play more bigger schools, but the fact is that big schools next year will avoid playing against ICC because of the fear factor. I know ICC will play anyone and everyone who challenges them. However, I'm gonna bet ICC will go to more high profile tournaments next season so we may not see them with a regular 4A-6A schedule but we WILL see them play the elite schools in this state, and maybe neighboring states as well.
They played in two elite tournaments this year. I think it really helped them playing against those schools. I will assume they will play in those tourneys again next year. They are not going to get out of the Izard county tournament. I predict they will have a better record next year against bigger schools than 3-4.

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 05:17:04 pm

And why would you think they'd be scared???? This isn't college basketball. RANKINGS DO NOT MATTER! If ICC wants to play the big boys in regular season matchups and not just tournaments I am sure they will find a couple that will play. If I was an AD of a bigger school I'd put them on my schedule. The goal of the regular season, especially non-conference games is to get better. I can promise you no one will overlook them next year and they won't surprise anyone. So that will play a factor in it as well.

scrapdig

Most of Magnolia players played football.  Magnolia was not a great team at all early this year.  Probably the weakest team I've seen win 4a in a long time.  If Mills stud played it wouldn't have been a game. 

yesteryearman

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 11:40:11 am

Why are ya'll talking about Nevada and Magnolia......we all know Nevada and Magnolia and Ashdown and Drew Central are in south Arkansas......"there is no basketball down here"......blind hogs and acorns.......

D6Bound

Quote from: 54Bearkatz2014 on March 10, 2019, 05:58:45 pm
And why would you think they'd be scared???? This isn't college basketball. RANKINGS DO NOT MATTER! If ICC wants to play the big boys in regular season matchups and not just tournaments I am sure they will find a couple that will play. If I was an AD of a bigger school I'd put them on my schedule. The goal of the regular season, especially non-conference games is to get better. I can promise you no one will overlook them next year and they won't surprise anyone. So that will play a factor in it as well.
Whatever you want to think lol

D6Bound

Quote from: scrapdig on March 10, 2019, 06:10:42 pm
Most of Magnolia players played football.  Magnolia was not a great team at all early this year.  Probably the weakest team I've seen win 4a in a long time.  If Mills stud played it wouldn't have been a game.
You've hated on them all year long according to your past posts. Sounds to me that you're just salty they won.

54Bearkatz2014

If anyone is curious, the following is every 3A and bigger school ICC played this year shows they played some very good teams, but also some of the "bigger schools" were mediocre. And I wouldn't read too far into Clinton and Tuckerman record, I think both played watered down schedules for 3A schools.

6A North Little Rock: Loss 75-58 on 11/29
22-9 record finished: 3rd 6A central lost in quarterfinals of state

5A Pine Bluff: Win 66-57 on 11/30
15-11 record finished: 2nd 5A central lost in quarterfinals of state

4A Jonesboro Westside: Loss 87-85 on 12/1
23-9 record finished: 4th in East regional lost in semis of state

6A Springdale Har-Ber: Win 84-54 on 12/26
10-15 record finished: 4th 6A West lost first round of state

4A Pulaski Academy: Win 85-55 on 12/27
10-13 record finished: 6th 4A-5 conference. Didn't make regionals

6A Conway: Loss 63-54 on 12/28
20-8 record finished: 2nd 6A central lost in state semis

5A Marion: Loss 91-70 on 12/29
25-3 record finished: won 5A state championship

3A Cave City: Win 59-41 on 1/24
14-12 record finished: 4th 3A-2 didn't make regionals

3A Tuckerman: Win 73-37 on 2/5
33-8 record finished: 3rd 3A-3 regional lost first round of state

3A Clinton: Win 91-56 on 2/8
20-9 record finished: lost first round of regionals

D6Bound

I'm failing to see the purpose in this. Looks to me that ICC got the job done in every game they needed to except for Jonesboro Westside. You forgot to add about Pine Bluff that they beat LR Hall...the team who made it to the 5A state finals....who went into overtime with Marion and only lost by 3...And for those who don't know Marion is undefeated in Arkansas

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 06:53:16 pm
I'm failing to see the purpose in this. Looks to me that ICC got the job done in every game they needed to except for Jonesboro Westside. You forgot to add that Little Rock Hall, who made it to the 5A state finals and got beat 3 by Marion in overtime, who hasn't lost a game in Arkansas this year, got beat by Pine Bluff. A team who.......ICC beat.

Dude it's just for info. Don't get so upset. Pine Bluff played in the 6A state football playoffs less than two weeks before they played ICC. Could that have had anything to do with winning that game? I would think it influenced it a lot. And you should never use a "we beat them and they almost beat this team who won this game over this team" it doesn't matter all teams match up differently. Again I'm not trying to take anything away from ICC. They are by far the best 1A team I've seen play. But you are arguing that they'd dominate in bigger classifications and that isn't the case.

D6Bound

Quote from: 54Bearkatz2014 on March 10, 2019, 06:54:32 pm
Dude it's just for info. Don't get so upset.
ugh hate that you quoted that. I worded all of it so poorly :(

D6Bound

1-3A they would have dominated this year.. Plain and simple. You can either agree or disagree. I really don't care which.

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 07:07:55 pm
1-3A they would have dominated this year.. Plain and simple. You can either agree or disagree. I really don't care which.

Which 3A-1? There is an East and a West district. I agree they easily would have been top two in either. But if they are in the West they play Charleston 2-4 times in the East they play Valley Springs 2-4 times. Not to mention both conferences had some other decent teams. I think they would win MOST of them. That doesn't mean all the the time, which is what most would call dominate. No teams are perfect and all teams have good nights and bad nights.  So I think dominate is too strong of a word.

54Bearkatz2014

54Bearkatz2014

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 07:27:39 pm
Where's the adults at?

I'm just pointing out what you said. Be more specific if you don't want people taking it the wrong way. Once again. Don't get so upset.

RedWolf275

Quote from: 54Bearkatz2014 on March 10, 2019, 07:31:25 pm
I'm just pointing out what you said. Be more specific if you don't want people taking it the wrong way. Once again. Don't get so upset.

I watched Ashdown at Osceola and I'm pretty sure that ICC would not dominate them. I'm not even certain they would beat them! Ashdown did beat Baptist Prep after all. I wish they'd bring back the overall state and we could find out what's what.

boss85

Oldref

ICC had a great year and played a good schedule. Class A had no one that can really challenge them but Nevada gave it a good effort in the finals. ICC is in the middle of a really good run of talent and will be tough to beat at least the next couple of years. They are following the play book of other good lower classification teams from the past and stepping out to try and play larger schools if they can get them on their schedule. Go back and look at the great teams the past few years in all the lower classifications and they all have done the same thing. ICC started doing it last year and it pays off even if you have a few more losses. I have said for years the top two or three teams from 1A-3A would all be competitive games no matter how they were paired in most years. Probably can even include 4A most of the time. Great teams that come to mind in smaller classes from NEA are Bay in 13, 15 and 16, Guy 16 and 17, Concord 13 and 14, AA Earle 15-18, EPC 13-18, Marked Tree 15-19 and probably others that I forgot. What I am saying is when small schools have that run of talent they need to step up and play the big boys if they will schedule you. ICC is doing that just like the others I mentioned. All of those schools have beaten higher classification schools or at least made a good showing when they played up. My suggestion to ICC is enjoy it while it lasts because it will not last forever!! Congratulations again ICC on a great year.

D6Bound

Quote from: boss85 on March 10, 2019, 08:20:21 pm
Who started this thread?😉😉
I've said my piece. Y'all can take it how you want lol

What's that old Bill Murray line again? Something about arguing with people...

MR.GOMAB

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 06:36:36 pm
You've hated on them all year long according to your past posts. Sounds to me that you're just salty they won.

He has hated all year and I dont know why lol Sad!

boss85

Quote from: D6Bound on March 10, 2019, 08:24:39 pm
I've said my piece. Y'all can take it how you want lol

What's that old Bill Murray line again? Something about arguing with people...
Its a Cinderella story

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas