• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Batesville vs Brookland 4A Girls State Semi-Final

Started by NEASportsFan1, February 28, 2019, 09:05:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Abagnale Jr.

RedWolf275

Lol! A referee defender, even when they are terrible.

NEA Razorback olfan

Brookland 63
Batesville 70
F
Congrats to Batesville

JessieP

Quote from: beach bum on March 02, 2019, 01:02:31 pm

Or maybe.... Just maybe, stop fouling so much instead?

Normally you're spot on and I have a long standing history of not blaming the refs, both times are wrong today. Every team, win or lose, has commented on how ticky tac the fouls have been all tournament. Did you see the PA game last night? They called fouls on the Bruins for heavy breathing. It has been over the top. The saving grace is that there is no favoritism, the record setting foul pace is called both ways. Batesville won today and yet I can say there was horrible calls, on both teams.

EarlTheSnakeWhite

Hats off to the Pioneers! I hope they bring home the title! Congrats!

J12

Quote from: JessieP on March 02, 2019, 01:34:06 pm
Normally you're spot on and I have a long standing history of not blaming the refs, both times are wrong today. Every team, win or lose, has commented on how ticky tac the fouls have been all tournament. Did you see the PA game last night? They called fouls on the Bruins for heavy breathing. It has been over the top. The saving grace is that there is no favoritism, the record setting foul pace is called both ways. Batesville won today and yet I can say there was horrible calls, on both teams.

The officiating was awful in the Pottsville game last night too. Both ways.

The quicker you can face that officiating is going to influence the game, easier it is to take it.

Refs are incredibly bad & I feel awful for criticizing the batch of officials 10+ years ago. They were  100% better than what you see now. The ones now just calls fouls when the pace of the game is too fast for them and when they need a break.  I

NEA Razorback olfan

March 02, 2019, 03:15:40 pm #56 Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:24:51 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
First of all congrats to the Lady Pioneers, great game!!
My pick to win State !!

Super proud of our Lady Bearcats 23-8
Will miss our Sr. Players who I enjoyed watching this year!!
Kalifa Ford , Emily Paite , Mallorie Lovrien
Ford will be playing at the next level at Oklahoma Baptist.
Excited about the returning players for next season.
Starters vs Batesville 
#4 KaNya Ford 10th
#30 Hannah Boling 10th
#14 AJ Allen 10th
Bench that played
#2 Shelby Lawernce 11th
#20 Gracie Gramling 10th
#22 Carliegh Smith 10th
#3 Faith Champlin 10th

MR.GOMAB

Quote from: J12 on March 02, 2019, 02:45:31 pm
The officiating was awful in the Pottsville game last night too. Both ways.

The quicker you can face that officiating is going to influence the game, easier it is to take it.

Refs are incredibly bad & I feel awful for criticizing the batch of officials 10+ years ago. They were  100% better than what you see now. The ones now just calls fouls when the pace of the game is too fast for them and when they need a break.  I

J12 I couldn't agree more with you!! The refs are way worse than they were 10 years ago. Your point about The pace of the game is spot on. I'm a Magnolia Fan, both of their games have been poorly officiated both ways! I watched you all vs Pottsville yesterday and it was horrible both ways. It's sad that they have so much influence over a game and the place of a game, it's just something we all will have to deal with.

JessieP

Quote from: MR.GOMAB on March 02, 2019, 04:36:54 pm
J12 I couldn't agree more with you!! The refs are way worse than they were 10 years ago. Your point about The pace of the game is spot on. I'm a Magnolia Fan, both of their games have been poorly officiated both ways! I watched you all vs Pottsville yesterday and it was horrible both ways. It's sad that they have so much influence over a game and the place of a game, it's just something we all will have to deal with.

My soapbox rant has always been "The officials are not the reason you lost" but this state tournament has me scratching my head. My team won and I am at a loss by what I've seen. But it this way, there were a couple calls against Brookland that had the Batesville radio guys laughing, they are world class homers and they couldn't believe it. I won't even go into the calls against us. They called a T on one play and the guys said "I've never seen that before". Something strange is going on, there is no question.

J12

Quote from: JessieP on March 02, 2019, 04:45:10 pm
My soapbox rant has always been "The officials are not the reason you lost" but this state tournament has me scratching my head. My team won and I am at a loss by what I've seen. But it this way, there were a couple calls against Brookland that had the Batesville radio guys laughing, they are world class homers and they couldn't believe it. I won't even go into the calls against us. They called a T on one play and the guys said "I've never seen that before". Something strange is going on, there is no question.

The AAA is is scared that they are going to be blamed when HS athletics in Arkansas are suspended due to a lack of officials. Legit concern right?

Their plan of action has been awful. On their grandest of stages, they've told refs at all cost, ensure the game stays in hand. Fouls, technicals, referees that are all adhearing to an organization that runs social media campaigns asking parents to please not hurt our officials feelings & then they beg people to sign up to officiate. 

HS basketball in the state of Arkansas is better than ever. Officiating is at an all time low.

More than once this year - I've overheard coaches asking parents please do not yell at officials because so and so will take it personal. Like, it's on record, the officials have said "I can't handle all the yelling".  TIFWIW.

MR.GOMAB

Quote from: J12 on March 02, 2019, 04:55:55 pm
The AAA is is scared that they are going to be blamed when HS athletics in Arkansas are suspended due to a lack of officials. Legit concern right?

Their plan of action has been awful. On their grandest of stages, they've told refs at all cost, ensure the game stays in hand. Fouls, technicals, referees that are all adhearing to an organization that runs social media campaigns asking parents to please not hurt our officials feelings & then they beg people to sign up to officiate. 

HS basketball in the state of Arkansas is better than ever. Officiating is at an all time low.

I was directly behind the Berryville bench on yesterday. PA was shooting free throws and one of their player ran down to their bench to receive some coaching. The refs watched her the whole way. The assistant Coach stood up and said something...The refs ran down the court and gave them a Tech. I was amazed! Then the little young ref with black hair made both coaches stay seated the entire game! He said dont get up again or you will be out of here...I couldnt believe my ears or his arrogance.

J12

Quote from: MR.GOMAB on March 02, 2019, 04:59:33 pm
I was directly behind the Berryville bench on yesterday. PA was shooting free throws and one of their player ran down to their bench to receive some coaching. The refs watched her the whole way. The assistant Coach stood up and said something...The refs ran down the court and gave them a Tech. I was amazed! Then the little young ref with black hair made both coaches stay seated the entire game! He said dont get up again or you will be out of here...I couldnt believe my ears or his arrogance.

I'm torn. Some refs like the "look at me" stuff. That happens in college (see Ted Valentine). More so I believe it's taken straight from the top (AAA) and put into action on the court.
I was in Pocahontas for our district tournament and witnesses multiple times, inexperienced officials being talked to by older officials in the stands between timeouts and quarters.  One official over here (remaining namesless) heads up most of the others. He was the one every time discussing it with them.

I don't see it as teaching, as in "Hey remember we were told to do this".

cannon

Quote from: J12 on March 02, 2019, 05:05:27 pm
I'm torn. Some refs like the "look at me" stuff. That happens in college (see Ted Valentine). More so I believe it's taken straight from the top (AAA) and put into action on the court.
I was in Pocahontas for our district tournament and witnesses multiple times, inexperienced officials being talked to by older officials in the stands between timeouts and quarters.  One official over here (remaining namesless) heads up most of the others. He was the one every time discussing it with them.

I don't see it as teaching, as in "Hey remember we were told to do this".

I don't know that it's coming from AAA. I've been in hot springs watching 5A, and the refs are doing a fantastic job. It's definitely limited to that group. I'm not sure but what there's a couple "He-Men" that are trying to make a name for themselves.

Yellowcake

Quote from: MR.GOMAB on March 02, 2019, 04:59:33 pm

While I hated those refs, the rule is if the coaches get a tech, they can't get up anymore or they are gone. That was rule enforcement. But they were arrogant showmen either way.

RiceMan3

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 12:36:01 pm
Pretty cool, I gotta share that. Quick question, is 15 getting any looks from colleges? She is incredible. I hope the majors don't obsess on her size, she can flat out play. Many elite women's programs start 5'5 and 5'6 guards.

Signed with Oklahoma Baptist.

Intelligentsia

Well I've watched every game Batesville girls played, district, regional, and state, and I can't say that the officiating was worse than in previous years. Different, perhaps, but it was called pretty evenly and pretty consistently.  You may not like a game called "close", but if it is pretty consistent and called on both teams, it's simply a factor to which you have to adjust.  If the refs are calling technicals, keep your mouth shut and behave.  Did I agree with all the calls, no, but again, they were fairly consistent and not at all one sided, IMO, and I think I'm pretty objective.  And yes, Batesville got a couple of calls that were quite favorable, but I think it evened out over time. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas