• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Batesville vs Brookland 4A Girls State Semi-Final

Started by NEASportsFan1, February 28, 2019, 09:05:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NEASportsFan1

We're familiar with one another, let's get another thread going. This time, for a shot for the title in Hot Springs.

JessieP

Batesville has all the respect in the world for Brookland, they know all too well what a good team they are. Having said that let me say this, the Pioneers are positively giddy about another shot at Brookland. The last game left a bad bad taste in their mouths. Everyone involved said all the right things like "We don't care who we play" or "We're not thinking about anything but the game in front of us", the truth is much different. They got who they want.

NEA Razorback olfan

We are honored to be here. We upset a great Star City team tonight and are looking forward to Saturday.

Frank Abagnale Jr.

Batesville wins by 15+ I think. That loss is going to be used as motivation. Brookland is playing well as of late but I think it stops here. Good luck to both teams.

RedWolf275

EarlTheSnakeWhite

Two great teams battling for a shot at the title. Batesville is the favorite here, but Brookland is not intimidated by Batesville having won the last meeting between the two teams on a neutral floor. Should be a great game!

NEA Razorback olfan

Batesville is super talented, and definitely the favorite to win.  First class coach and girls.
I'm proud of our girls win or lose, they work hard to improve every game. Playing great teams like Batesville, Nettleton , and Highland really helped our team develop into a stronger unit and  prepared us for The State Tourney.
I believe some of our girls are pretty good friends with some of the Batesville girls. No doubt it will be battle when the ball is tipped.

EarlTheSnakeWhite

Definitely much respect for Batesville and Coach Fowler.

AverageJo24

I like Batesville 10+. Look for Fowler to turn up the heat defensively and shut down Brooklands main threat. If you can shut her down, Brookland struggles offensively. Batesville has multiple girls who are very talented on offense and if they can stay out of foul trouble I expect them to roll.

JessieP

I know hindsight is 20/20 but Brookland may have overplayed their hand too early. The win at district was just what the Pioneers needed but was it short sighted by Brookland? Knowing full well that they were advancing regardless, wouldn't it have made more sense to hold back the statue offense and play it straight up, knowing it would have probably resulted in a fourth one sided loss? If they had they would be going into the semi's against a complacent, overconfident unfocused Batesville, a team that would have been ripe for the picking. now they get an angry, bent on revenge Pioneer team that has seen the trickery. Again, it's easy to correct mistakes after the fact but imagine Brookland going into tomorrow against a team going through the motions and you still had a trick up your sleeve?

AverageJo24

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 10:06:19 am
I know hindsight is 20/20 but Brookland may have overplayed their hand too early. The win at district was just what the Pioneers needed but was it short sighted by Brookland? Knowing full well that they were advancing regardless, wouldn't it have made more sense to hold back the statue offense and play it straight up, knowing it would have probably resulted in a fourth one sided loss? If they had they would be going into the semi's against a complacent, overconfident unfocused Batesville, a team that would have been ripe for the picking. now they get an angry, bent on revenge Pioneer team that has seen the trickery. Again, it's easy to correct mistakes after the fact but imagine Brookland going into tomorrow against a team going through the motions and you still had a trick up your sleeve?

I see what you are saying, but what do you tell those girls? "Hey girls, I know you as a competitor really want to win but we need to not beat them because if we see them in the state tournament we will want them to overlook us." Nah. You go out there every time and compete. You could also say that Baltz is using that win to hype his girls up, and to show them that they CAN beat them. Do I think its going to happen, no. But to not beat a team because you MAY see them down the road is silly.

RedWolf275

JessieP

Quote from: AverageJo24 on March 01, 2019, 10:13:18 am
I see what you are saying, but what do you tell those girls? "Hey girls, I know you as a competitor really want to win but we need to not beat them because if we see them in the state tournament we will want them to overlook us." Nah. You go out there every time and compete. You could also say that Baltz is using that win to hype his girls up, and to show them that they CAN beat them. Do I think its going to happen, no. But to not beat a team because you MAY see them down the road is silly.

How could anyone possibly glean I was saying they should have played to lose? I've reread my post 5 times, had 2 other people read it and there is nothing in there that implies that, nowhere. Playing a game straight up means play to win. Play your hardest and play to your strengths. It goes to my point that up until this week there is no sense of urgency in the 4A postseason. Play to lose? How could anyone read that and think that what I was saying? Two years ago in the Super Bowl the Eagles ran "The Philly Special", a brilliant play. It probably won them the game. Why didn't they run it again after that? Why didn't they start the game with it? I mean it worked? Heck, in soccer and hockey the teams will pull the goalie to give them an extra player advantage, why not start the game with it? I never suggested in any way, shape or form they should have tanked. It is impossible, one would have thought, to get that impression from my post. My whole point was a hypothetical "Did the use the nuclear option too early"? Seems to me you use the Hail Mary in a do or die situation. If the Eagles would have used the Philly option in the NFC Championship chances are it wouldn't have worked when it was most needed.

NEA Razorback olfan

March 01, 2019, 11:48:17 am #13 Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:50:43 am by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 10:46:15 am
How could anyone possibly glean I was saying they should have played to lose? I've reread my post 5 times, had 2 other people read it and there is nothing in there that implies that, nowhere. Playing a game straight up means play to win. Play your hardest and play to your strengths. It goes to my point that up until this week there is no sense of urgency in the 4A postseason. Play to lose? How could anyone read that and think that what I was saying? Two years ago in the Super Bowl the Eagles ran "The Philly Special", a brilliant play. It probably won them the game. Why didn't they run it again after that? Why didn't they start the game with it? I mean it worked? Heck, in soccer and hockey the teams will pull the goalie to give them an extra player advantage, why not start the game with it? I never suggested in any way, shape or form they should have tanked. It is impossible, one would have thought, to get that impression from my post. My whole point was a hypothetical "Did the use the nuclear option too early"? Seems to me you use the Hail Mary in a do or die situation. If the Eagles would have used the Philly option in the NFC Championship chances are it wouldn't have worked when it was most needed.

Ok ,but I don't believe we have any football plays.
Our football coach can hike it between his legs and hit a half court shot though!!

AverageJo24

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 10:46:15 am

This dude really just went NFL and Hockey on me. You implied that Brookland used this "special formula" to win, and that they could have used it later in the state tournament. Brookland had the better night. It also helped that they held the ball for nearly half of a quarter. Please tell me a play that you saw during that game that resembled a play like the "Philly Special". You cant. Because they did not run anything different. They had the better night. This is typical post from you though so I am not surprised that you inserted that pointless information above.

JessieP

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 01, 2019, 11:48:17 am
Ok ,but I don't believe we have any football plays.
Our football coach can hike it between his legs and hit a half court shot though!!

Now that would be impressive.

NEA Razorback olfan

JessieP

March 01, 2019, 12:33:14 pm #17 Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 02:48:31 pm by JessieP
Quote from: AverageJo24 on March 01, 2019, 11:50:07 am
This dude really just went NFL and Hockey on me. You implied that Brookland used this "special formula" to win, and that they could have used it later in the state tournament. Brookland had the better night. It also helped that they held the ball for nearly half of a quarter. Please tell me a play that you saw during that game that resembled a play like the "Philly Special". You cant. Because they did not run anything different. They had the better night. This is typical post from you though so I am not surprised that you inserted that pointless information above.

No, there were no football plays. What I was doing was trying to make a point by using what's called an analogy. An analogy is a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification, a correspondence or partial similarity, a thing which is comparable to something else in significant respects. Have you ever heard someone say about a basketball player "They were on fire'? That's an analogy. In reality that player was not actually ablaze. That would result in serious burns. We've all heard "The defense was smothering', no one has ever committed mass homicide on the basketball court through good defensive play. The reason I sometimes "insert pointless information" in my "Typical post" is to try and illustrate my point to a few posters, present company included, who may not follow along without the aid of crayons and funny dinosaurs. 

JessieP

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 01, 2019, 12:32:18 pm
Ok,
http://www.kait8.com/video/2019/02/12/chuck-speer-snaps-scores-brookland-football-coach-going-viral-with-halfcourt-hike/

Pretty cool, I gotta share that. Quick question, is 15 getting any looks from colleges? She is incredible. I hope the majors don't obsess on her size, she can flat out play. Many elite women's programs start 5'5 and 5'6 guards.

AverageJo24

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 12:33:14 pm
No, there were no football plays. What I was doing was trying to make a point by using what's called an analogy. An analogy is a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification, a correspondence or partial similarity, a thing which is comparable to something else in significant respects. Have you ever heard someone say about a basketball player "They were are fire'? That's an analogy. In reality that player was not actually ablaze. That would result in serious burns. We've all heard "The defense was smothering', no one has ever committed mass homicide on the basketball court through good defensive play. The reason I sometimes "insert pointless information" in my "Typical post" is to try and illustrate my point to a few posters, present company included, who may not follow along without the aid of crayons and funny dinosaurs.

Hey Webster, just keep it about basketball. Nobody cares about your little rants you go on

JessieP

Quote from: AverageJo24 on March 01, 2019, 12:38:38 pm
Hey Webster, just keep it about basketball. Nobody cares about your little rants you go on

Some people don't care, they don't respond. The ones that do care very much. You do care.

J12

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 12:41:14 pm
Some people don't care, they don't respond. The ones that do care very much. You do care.

#IcareAboutJessieP

EarlTheSnakeWhite

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 12:36:01 pm
Pretty cool, I gotta share that. Quick question, is 15 getting any looks from colleges? She is incredible. I hope the majors don't obsess on her size, she can flat out play. Many elite women's programs start 5'5 and 5'6 guards.

She has signed with Oklahoma Baptist

87DAWG

Looking forward to watching this one on the Batesville Facebook Page! Know both these teams really well! First off, way to go 4A-3! Next, thank you to NEA for including Highland as a quality opponent. Highland matched up well with Brookland! Batesville??? Not so much.....Highland's crew will have depth next year. We played 6 this year but could play as many as 9 next year. I'll take Batesville but in a closer one than some think. Stopping Brookland's  #15 right now??? Easier said than done!! 

JessieP

Quote from: EarlTheSnakeWhite on March 01, 2019, 12:48:54 pm
She has signed with Oklahoma Baptist

Good for her. They got a gift with that one. Can't believe ASU let a player like that fly under their radar.

JessieP

Quote from: J12 on March 01, 2019, 12:46:00 pm
#IcareAboutJessieP

Thank you Sir. I always get a good laugh when people tell me no one cares what you say by responding to something I say. What are your thoughts on Westsides game tonight? Any worries?

EarlTheSnakeWhite

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 12:54:26 pm
Good for her. They got a gift with that one. Can't believe ASU let a player like that fly under their radar.

Yeah that's exactly what I've thought. ASU sure could have used a homegrown talent like her. She has been a joy to watch these last few years.

JessieP

Quote from: EarlTheSnakeWhite on March 01, 2019, 01:03:03 pm
Yeah that's exactly what I've thought. ASU sure could have used a homegrown talent like her. She has been a joy to watch these last few years.

She's the real deal. The biggest problem Brookland has is that sure, Batesville doesn't have anyone as good as her but they have 7 that are better then anyone else on her team. Brookland is no fluke, they deserve to be exactly where they are but the Pioneers have a very deep team this year. Next year may be Brookland's time back on top but I honestly don't see anyone knocking off Batesville these next 2 games.

J12

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 12:57:22 pm
Thank you Sir. I always get a good laugh when people tell me no one cares what you say by responding to something I say. What are your thoughts on Westsides game tonight? Any worries?

Of course I'm anxious. All about matchups and this one is not great for us. They're disciplined and spread out a very long 1-3-1 zone that can cause trouble for a guard heavy team.

BUT, I like our chances. Our kids are mentally tough and at this point in the season, it's much easier to dance when you know the steps. We've been here and that's hard to quantify.

JessieP

Quote from: J12 on March 01, 2019, 01:25:56 pm
Of course I'm anxious. All about matchups and this one is not great for us. They're disciplined and spread out a very long 1-3-1 zone that can cause trouble for a guard heavy team.

BUT, I like our chances. Our kids are mentally tough and at this point in the season, it's much easier to dance when you know the steps. We've been here and that's hard to quantify.

Who's streaming the game? With all the wonderful things Magnolia has done putting together this tournament the one miss they have is the livestream. The distance and quality is doo doo. You can barely make out different colored jersey's let alone score and time.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: 87DAWG on March 01, 2019, 12:51:01 pm
Looking forward to watching this one on the Batesville Facebook Page! Know both these teams really well! First off, way to go 4A-3! Next, thank you to NEA for including Highland as a quality opponent. Highland matched up well with Brookland! Batesville??? Not so much.....Highland's crew will have depth next year. We played 6 this year but could play as many as 9 next year. I'll take Batesville but in a closer one than some think. Stopping Brookland's  #15 right now??? Easier said than done!!

I thought Highland played well and had a chance to knock off DeQueen , I listened to it on the radio. I hope Abby is ok!!
I know Highland will be tough next year and look forward to watching some great games.
I believe the close win we had at our place really helped our team establish themselves.
Pena going to be a force the next few years!!
Fun to watch her play!!

J12

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 01:44:46 pm
Who's streaming the game? With all the wonderful things Magnolia has done putting together this tournament the one miss they have is the livestream. The distance and quality is doo doo. You can barely make out different colored jersey's let alone score and time.

Just them to my knowledge. I'm probably going to listen on the radio. <insert Hoosiers scene>

JessieP

Quote from: J12 on March 01, 2019, 01:54:43 pm
Just them to my knowledge. I'm probably going to listen on the radio. <insert Hoosiers scene>

Are you drying out in a psychiatric hospital again?

J12

Quote from: JessieP on March 01, 2019, 02:51:24 pm
Are you drying out in a psychiatric hospital again?

If you mean my house, then yes.

It is commonly mistaken for a psych ward at times however.

TheSpecial

Quote from: J12 on March 01, 2019, 02:53:49 pm
If you mean my house, then yes.

It is commonly mistaken for a psych ward at times however.

I have zero doubts about that.

Walter s

So, I saw batesville for the first time this year last night against farmington. Have felt all season that berryville, harrison, and farmington were 3 of the best teams in state, and while they are all very good, if that is a typical performance from batesville, wow they are on another level all their own! The way they push it, and the way all 5 girls attack the basket and finish is very impressive. I've seen some good teams but they definitely stand apart from the rest imo. Will be pretty surprised if they don't win it all

Go Postal

March 01, 2019, 06:00:56 pm #36 Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:55:26 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: Walter s on March 01, 2019, 03:53:51 pm
So, I saw batesville for the first time this year last night against farmington. Have felt all season that berryville, harrison, and farmington were 3 of the best teams in state, and while they are all very good, if that is a typical performance from batesville, wow they are on another level all their own! The way they push it, and the way all 5 girls attack the basket and finish is very impressive. I've seen some good teams but they definitely stand apart from the rest imo. Will be pretty surprised if they don't win it all
Batesville looked flawless against Farmington.  JessieP and MDXPHD, I just hope that the Lady Pioneers don't have the same ticky-tack calling officials that I saw during our game.  I usually don't say anything about officials but wow.  Good luck Lady Pioneers.

87DAWG

Quote from: Walter s on March 01, 2019, 03:53:51 pm
That's typical!

Yellowcake

Batesville v Brookland is the game for 1 and 2. Both are better than the other side of the bracket. If it's Bateville v. Berryville, it will be a blowout.

Go Pioneers.

And no, I can't explain what happened tonight. We should have won that going away.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Go Postal on March 01, 2019, 06:00:56 pm
Batesville looked flawless against Farmington.  JessieP and MDXPHD, I just hope that the Lady Pioneers don't have the same ticky-tack calling officials that I saw during our game.  I usually don't say anything about officials but wow.  Good luck Lady Pioneers.

Batesville will have to adjust to the officials however they call it - which we can.

I think Batesville wins this one and it isn't ever in doubt. If I had to guess, they keep the pressure turned up a bit more this go around. Batesville definitely looks like the best team in the state, but all it takes is one off game like they had against Brookland and it's over. They've gotta play with the same intensity they did against Farmington. Should be a fun game to watch.

87DAWG

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 01, 2019, 01:50:43 pm
I thought Highland played well and had a chance to knock off DeQueen , I listened to it on the radio. I hope Abby is ok!!
I know Highland will be tough next year and look forward to watching some great games.
I believe the close win we had at our place really helped our team establish themselves.
Pena going to be a force the next few years!!
Fun to watch her play!!
Good luck to Brookland NEA! Should be a good one!

Yellowcake

Quote from: MDXPHD on March 02, 2019, 08:16:41 am
Batesville will have to adjust to the officials however they call it - which we can.

I think Batesville wins this one and it isn't ever in doubt. If I had to guess, they keep the pressure turned up a bit more this go around. Batesville definitely looks like the best team in the state, but all it takes is one off game like they had against Brookland and it's over. They've gotta play with the same intensity they did against Farmington. Should be a fun game to watch.

The officiating for our game was abysmal. Both ways. They called over 25 fouls in the first half. They just didn't let either team play. They didn't decide the game, they just made it hard to play and watch. It was awful.

JessieP

Quote from: Yellowcake on March 02, 2019, 08:58:51 am
The officiating for our game was abysmal. Both ways. They called over 25 fouls in the first half. They just didn't let either team play. They didn't decide the game, they just made it hard to play and watch. It was awful.

Go Postal said the same thing. I thought that as well. In a million years I wouldn't have thought PA losses that game. Maybe it's me, maybe wishful thing but when you watch the games out of the Highland regional compared to the other ones it looks like different speeds.

NEASportsFan1

Coach Fowler not letting Brookland stall early in this one. Called a quick trap to help speed the game up. Great call.

Cardfan1

Quote from: JessieP on March 02, 2019, 09:43:25 am
Maybe it's me, maybe wishful thing but when you watch the games out of the Highland regional compared to the other ones it looks like different speeds.

Have to respectfully disagree. Farmington played both Pulaski Academy and Highland this season and won both games by 10+. In those games I felt Farmington's pace was the difference.  I will say that after playing Batesville, (selfishly wish that game had been in the semis or finals) they are at the top by themselves.....After, that I believe it's Harrison, Berryville, and Farmington......a slight gap, then Pulaski Academy and Brookland. I make that statement based on head to head games and common opponents.  Regardless, congrats to the Final Four teams. Well deserved. accomplishment and outstanding seasons to each group.

That's my take but games aren't played on paper and State Titles aren't always won by the best teams.....just the teams that play best on a given day, so it should be an interesting finish to the 4A Girls Season. Best of luck to all involved.

NEASportsFan1

I absolutely love the physicality the Pioneers are bringing tonight. May result in some charges, but they are racking up the "and 1" opportunities.

Frank Abagnale Jr.

Unfortunately, Batesville is in some foul trouble. Griffin and number 23 both have 3. Going to effect the game.

NEASportsFan1

Quote from: Frank Abagnale Jr. on March 02, 2019, 12:41:08 pm
Unfortunately, Batesville is in some foul trouble. Griffin and number 23 both have 3. Going to effect the game.

Yeah it will. Playing with physicality, as I stated, is a double edged sword lol

Frank Abagnale Jr.

March 02, 2019, 12:55:17 pm #48 Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:15:31 pm by Frank Abagnale Jr.
I now see where everybody was coming from on the referees. They're really controlling this game and calling ticky tacky things.

beach bum

Quote from: Frank Abagnale Jr. on March 02, 2019, 12:55:17 pm
I know see where everybody was coming from on the referees. They're really controlling this game and calling ticky tacky things.

Or maybe.... Just maybe, stop fouling so much instead?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas