• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for former 5A folks

Started by J12, February 25, 2019, 11:17:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

Quote from: boss85 on February 26, 2019, 12:07:07 pm
One of ICC losses this year was to Westside which is the 4th seed from their region. Theoretically ICC might not make the state tournament at all playing against the likes of Mills, Blytheville and McClellan int the region. Plus they got beat back to back days against Conway and Marion, good 6a and 5a schools. ICC will win the title in 1a, but probably nothing above 2a this year at least.

I think the guy who posted that may have been joking or at the very least trolling. I really hope so, if he honestly thinks ICC would compete with the best of the best then he is a dangerous person. The government needs to step in and revoke his drivers license and make sure he never reproduces. 

J12

Only small school that comes to mind recently is EPC when they Monk and Lacy.

They thumped some good 4A & 5A teams (when we only had 5 classifications).

That team was awesome to watch.

Ice Water

Just to play devil's advocate, ICC beat a 2 seed in the 5A tournament and mercy ruled a 4 seed in the 6A tournament. To say they wouldn't make the postseason in those classifications is a little bit much.

JessieP

Quote from: Ice Water on February 26, 2019, 12:28:25 pm
Just to play devil's advocate, ICC beat a 2 seed in the 5A tournament and mercy ruled a 4 seed in the 6A tournament. To say they wouldn't make the postseason in those classifications is a little bit much.

Those are upsets, every post since the laughable initial post claiming ICC would embarrass upper classification schools acknowledged upsets occur. Your giving those 2 examples is anecdotal, in order to qualify for the postseason in 6A you must regularly beat 6A teams, week after week. Once a season won't get it done. Same applies to the 4/5A, in both those classifications they may well qualify but they would get beat early on. When Chaminade beat Virginia, in what's considered the biggest basketball upset ever, no one thought Chaminade was an elite team. They celebrated the fact a small school slayed Goliath. ICC is a very impressive program but nowhere near a Top 10 statewide team, nowhere near.

boss85

Tournaments in the post season are a true test of a team. Can you win 3 consecutive games in 3 or 4 days. That takes a smart coach, some depth on your bench, and some luck. The 4a regional tournaments don't require winning 3 games to get to the state tournament. That's my biggest beef with the regionals. I would like to see the overall tournament back though. It used to be interesting.

NEASportsFan1

Quote from: J12 on February 26, 2019, 12:17:17 pm
Only small school that comes to mind recently is EPC when they Monk and Lacy.

They thumped some good 4A & 5A teams (when we only had 5 classifications).

That team was awesome to watch.

Don't forget about the Crabtree and Reaves brothers from Cedar Ridge back in 13 and 14.

JessieP

Quote from: boss85 on February 26, 2019, 01:18:25 pm
Tournaments in the post season are a true test of a team. Can you win 3 consecutive games in 3 or 4 days. That takes a smart coach, some depth on your bench, and some luck. The 4a regional tournaments don't require winning 3 games to get to the state tournament. That's my biggest beef with the regionals. I would like to see the overall tournament back though. It used to be interesting.

OMG! Thank you! Finally, someone who thinks the same way I do. I was feeling like I was on an island on this issue. I agree 100% with you. These tournaments water down the post season and allow mediocrity to advance. In a sense you don't need endurance or fortitude, a simple 3 game hot streak will do it. Again I ask, what's the incentive to go all out during the regular season? +1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas