• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something I hear a lot

Started by Gray lizard, February 21, 2019, 09:00:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

"Come on refs call it even fouls are 8 to 1".
Refs are to call fouls it has nothing to do with being even. Players and coaches must adjust to the way the refs are calling the game. 
This just crawls under my skin when I hear it.

J12

Quote from: Gray lizard on February 21, 2019, 09:00:41 am
Refs are to call fouls it has nothing to do with being even. Players and coaches must adjust to the way the refs are calling the game. 

Tends to happen when a team loses too. There's a strong correlation between a team loss and the number of fouls complained about.

JessieP

Thank you Gray Lizard! It gets under my skin as well. The whining seems to be a cancer in the basketball world. The AAA put out a statement earlier asking people to lay off the refs. They have a serious shortage to the point some games have been cancelled. On that very thread, asking for support, a number of less then educated posters were calling for stricter standards for refs. Make a hard job harder. Some fans/parents would need 15 years of tutoring to rise to the level of stupid.

JessieP

Quote from: J12 on February 21, 2019, 09:02:31 am
Tends to happen when a team loses too. There's a strong correlation between a team loss and the number of fouls complained about.

+1. Funny how that happens isn't it? Hey parents, it's possible for your kid to miss a shot without being fouled.

slawdawg millionaire

One thing that has annoyed me regarding officiating is the technical foul for hanging on the rim. Over the past four seasons, I've seen three cases where a player has been called for hanging on the rim when there has been a player underneath him. The first two cases had to do with a teammate being under the dunking player, but last night, a Blytheville player got one when a Forrest City player was under him. Coincidentally, the Mustangs have benefited from two of these highly questionable T's.

So, is there no exception in high school ball to hanging on the rim to protect players underneath the dunk? Or are these refs just not seeing the full picture when they blow their whistles?

J12

Quote from: slawdawg millionaire on February 21, 2019, 10:23:30 am
One thing that has annoyed me regarding officiating is the technical foul for hanging on the rim. Over the past four seasons, I've seen three cases where a player has been called for hanging on the rim when there has been a player underneath him. The first two cases had to do with a teammate being under the dunking player, but last night, a Blytheville player got one when a Forrest City player was under him. Coincidentally, the Mustangs have benefited from two of these highly questionable T's.

So, is there no exception in high school ball to hanging on the rim to protect players underneath the dunk? Or are these refs just not seeing the full picture when they blow their whistles?

I used to get these all the time. So annoying.  ;D

RamblinRazorWreck

Quote from: J12 on February 21, 2019, 10:26:27 am
I used to get these all the time. So annoying.  ;D

I got several my first year of Junior High, but adjusted to the refs and learned to just throw it straight down without touching the rim!   8)

RamblinRazorWreck

Good post

Hawk4L

Last night during 4th Qt Clarksville had 7 fouls to Pea Ridge 1.  Clarksville calls a time out and the coach is telling the refs that and pointing at scoreboard.  The next 6 fouls were called on Pea Ridge. Not saying that's why we lost. We lost bc we couldn't rebound.  But just thought was funny after seeing this topic

Gray lizard

Quote from: Hawk4L on February 21, 2019, 10:46:17 am
Last night during 4th Qt Clarksville had 7 fouls to Pea Ridge 1.  Clarksville calls a time out and the coach is telling the refs that and pointing at scoreboard.  The next 6 fouls were called on Pea Ridge. Not saying that's why we lost. We lost bc we couldn't rebound.  But just thought was funny after seeing this topic
Not funny that game is the very reason for this post.  A few Clarksville fans kept yelling it.  I thought the refs did a good job over all in this game.  Sometimes one team just commits more.  Pea Ridge was drawing more fouls due to #22(I think) driving the basket.

Hawk4L

Yes that was Blakelee Winn she's a sophomore. She shoulda got about 5 more foul calls then she did imo

Go Postal

It could be worse.  I don't know if the still do it but I've seen some games that we played in Missouri and that they only use 2 refs in basketball.
Officials shortage is not only in this sport but I have also seen soccer games with only the 2 side refs and didn't have the one on the pitch in the middle of the.action.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas