• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A East Regional at Highland

Started by slawdawg millionaire, February 17, 2019, 01:18:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

slawdawg millionaire

Here is the schedule for this tournament, which is once again loaded, especially on the boys side:

Class 4A East Region
At Highland
(Seeding in parentheses)
Boys
Wednesday, Feb. 20

Game 1: LR Mills (1st 5) vs. Brookland (4th 3), 5:30 p.m.
Game 2: Blytheville (1st 3) vs. Forrest City (4th 5), 8:30 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 21
Game 3: Westside (2nd 3) vs. eStem (3rd 5), 5:30 p.m.
Game 4: LR McClellan (2nd 5) vs. Valley View (3rd 3), 8:30 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 22
Game 5: Game 1 winner vs. Game 3 winner, 5:30 p.m.
Game 6: Game 2 winner vs. Game 4 winner, 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 23
Third place: Game 5 loser vs. Game 6 loser, 1:30 p.m.
Championship: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner, 7:30 p.m.
Girls
Wednesday, Feb. 20

Game 1: Stuttgart (1st 5) vs. Highland (4th 3), 4 p.m.
Game 2: Brookland (1st 3) vs. Lonoke (4th 5), 7 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 21
Game 3: Batesville (2nd 3) vs. eStem (3rd 5), 4 p.m.
Game 4: Pulaski Academy (2nd 5) vs. Pocahontas (3rd 3), 7 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 22
Game 5: Game 1 winner vs. Game 3 winner, 4 p.m.
Game 6: Game 2 winner vs. Game 4 winner, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 23
Third place: Game 5 loser vs. Game 6 loser, noon
Championship: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner, 6 p.m.

And here is the link to the brackets for all three regionals:

Boys: http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/G4KRIhLCEemAy__L_vT5eg/basketball-winter-18-19/2019-basketball-regionals-4a-boys.htm

Girls: http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/Juj2GRLFEemAy__L_vT5eg/girls-basketball-winter-18-19/2019-basketball-regionals-4a-girls.htm

MDXPHD

I'll take Batesville girls over the rest. I like their odds.

LRRandy

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 17, 2019, 02:00:37 pm
I'll take Batesville girls over the rest. I like their odds.
unless somebody puts the stall on them. Then look out.

MDXPHD

Quote from: LRRandy on February 17, 2019, 02:18:39 pm
unless somebody puts the stall on them. Then look out.

I don't expect the stall to work. It wasn't really what cost Batesville the game anyway - Brookland beat them in the second half.  Batesville beat them by 26, 23, and 13. Hard to beat a decent team 4 times. Batesville was confident after beating them 3 other times this season. It's just annoying to watch the stall, but certainly not why Batesville lost. I do hope we get a rematch next Saturday - I think Batesville will be ready.

J12

I've seen Batesville girls play multiple times this year, including watching them updend Nettleton at the NEA. They're fun to watch and play well.

Would be hard to pick against them next week. I'll take the Lady Pioneers vs the field.

MR.GOMAB

On the boys side, who do yall think will get the 2, 3 & 4 seed going into the state tourney?

LRRandy

Weeside, Westside, and the fighting # 10's. They good enough to have them all.

slawdawg millionaire

February 17, 2019, 05:36:05 pm #7 Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:51:11 pm by slawdawg millionaire
Here's my breakdown of each first-round matchup:

Boys

Game 1: LR Mills (1st 5) vs. Brookland (4th 3), 5:30 p.m. Wednesday
Total styles clash between the run-and-gun, Little Rock-area style Mills likes to play vs. a Bobby Gross-coached team that likes to slow down the game and limit the possessions. That's really the only way I can see the Bearcats pulling off a major upset. Brookland has three veterans in Braxton Haff, Braden Smith and Douglas Fenimore, the latter being the best on-ball defender in the 4A-3, but they'll have to compete with the Comets' wealth of weapons that includes four-year starting PG Branton McCrary, fellow senior Orion Virden and dominant 6-8 big man Kevin Cross. The always-undersized Bearcats will have their hands full with Cross. Pick: LR Mills

Game 2: Blytheville (1st 3) vs. Forrest City (4th 5), 8:30 p.m. Wednesday
Blytheville's reward for winning the 4A-3 district tournament is a dangerous Forrest City team in a matchup previously seen in the 5A-East. In fact, it's gotten pretty heated on the gridiron between these two schools. The Mustangs split with their league's second and third seeds and gave Mills a run for its money at FC. Both Blytheville and FC have similar teams, with most of the roster being anywhere from 6-0 to 6-3 and not having a lot of superstars. Winston Peace drives Blytheville's engine, and the Chicks are at their best when four to five score in double figures. Pick: Blytheville

Game 3: Westside (2nd 3) vs. eStem (3rd 5), 5:30 p.m. Thursday
This one is dangerous for Westside because the Warriors ended eStem's season in the regional first round last year and revenge could be a factor. Avery Felts is the star player for Westside at around 23 points per game, and he has a lot of expectations for a regional encore after he scored 30-plus points in all three games last year. The Warriors will need Felts' partner in their dynamic duo, Riley Felkins, to snap out of his funk after he totaled only 10 points in the district tournament. The Warriors will have to stop another balanced team similar to Blytheville, with eStem's Mehki Perkins, Jacob Sanders and Jacob Profit all averaging double figures. Pick: Westside

Game 4: LR McClellan (2nd 5) vs. Valley View (3rd 3), 8:30 p.m. Thursday
No. 1 seed Valley View got thumped by McClellan neighbor LR Fair in the first round of last year's Class 5A tournament, and now the Blazers are hoping to avoid a similar season-ending fate against the Crimson Lions. The Blazer football team also lost to McClellan in the first round of the football playoffs, so the basketball team with plenty of football players is seeking plenty of redemption. VV's hot streak to end the regular season crashed with a sound loss to Blytheville in the district semifinals. The Blazers are an ideal setup for coach Jason Manchester to apply an inside-out offense, especially with the development of 6-7 sophomore C.J. Delancey surrounded by four guards led by standout Travis Graf. McClellan counters with eight seniors on a roster that is close to the same form that won the 2015 5A championship. Pick: Valley View

Girls

Game 1: Stuttgart (1st 5) vs. Highland (4th 3), 4 p.m. Wednesday
Stuttgart got a bad draw from the district coaches during last year's blended format, so they came out and showed they were for real with a 24-3 campaign and share of the conference title with always-strong Pulaski Academy. The Ricebirds get another unfortunate draw for regional this year, needing to beat the host team to stay alive. They do have a serious depth advantage over Highland, which has employed only eight players all year, and Stuttgart is led by sophomore Ketiyah Harrison and senior Aryia Minor. The Ricebirds are tasked with stopping the Lady Rebels' inside-out combination of ninth-grade PG Briley Pena and junior post Abby Dietsche. This one could be close at the Hutson Memorial Center. Pick: Stuttgart

Game 2: Brookland (1st 3) vs. Lonoke (4th 5), 7 p.m. Wednesday
Brookland gets another chance at Lonoke after the Jackrabbits ended its season last year, but this time it's on a neutral court instead of at Lonoke. The Lady Bearcats are led by senior Kalifa Ford, who scored 49 points in two games at the district tournament. They're also red hot after beating top-ranked Batesville in the district finals, beating every team they've faced not named Batesville since the NEA tournament in late December. Most of Lonoke's top contributors last year were seniors, and the 'Rabbits have struggled at times this year. Could be Ford's first state tournament appearance if Brookland is in the right frame of mind. Pick: Brookland

Game 3: Batesville (2nd 3) vs. eStem (3rd 5), 4 p.m. Thursday
The Lady Pioneers better not be licking their wounds too much after Brookland got them in the district finals. Batesville has plenty of talent to win a state championship this year, led by the guard trio of senior Taylor Griffin, junior Reese Gardner and sophomore Izzy Higginbottom. The Lady Pioneers are good enough to where former starter Alley Edwards, a swat machine, is coming off the bench now. Now they have to keep their season going by beating an eStem girls basketball program that has built a winning tradition this decade, taking the 2014 3A championship. Pick: Batesville

Game 4: Pulaski Academy (2nd 5) vs. Pocahontas (3rd 3), 7 p.m. Thursday
Pocahontas won the 4A title two years ago and has senior Rylie Mangold who was a starter on that team. Sophomore Kendra Johnson has shown potential to be a star for the Lady Redskins, but they'll have their hands full with perennially strong PA. Senior guard Mattie Hatcher is a force on the soccer field, and she's also very good on the hardwood. Pick: PA

LRRandy

+1. Great effort on the breakdowns. It's good to see a capsule for the games involving teams that not everyone sees during the season. Thanks.

NEA Razorback olfan

MDXPHD

Great work! Appreciate the time you put into it.

JessieP

Slawdawg, well done. That was a pleasure to read, thank you.

EarlTheSnakeWhite

I think Blytheville will have their hands full with Forrest City. The Chicks are my pick too, but I would not be surprised to see an upset there. Forrest City is very talented and looked like they were the second best team in that conference earlier in the year. Think McClellan beats VV. I have the same picks in the girls side.

EarlTheSnakeWhite

Great breakdown by the way! There were a couple teams I was unfamiliar about on the girls side (Stuttgart and Lonoke).

MDXPHD

Can't compare scores but looking at common opponents, Estem beat Pokey by 5 earlier this season. That's the only common opponent I could find between Batesville and them.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 17, 2019, 08:14:23 pm
Can't compare scores but looking at common opponents, Estem beat Pokey by 5 earlier this season. That's the only common opponent I could find between Batesville and them.

Good luck to the Lady Pioneers !!
Great respect for their Program!!

slawdawg millionaire

Quote from: EarlTheSnakeWhite on February 17, 2019, 07:44:19 pm
I think Blytheville will have their hands full with Forrest City. The Chicks are my pick too, but I would not be surprised to see an upset there. Forrest City is very talented and looked like they were the second best team in that conference earlier in the year. Think McClellan beats VV. I have the same picks in the girls side.

While this tournament could easily go chalk in the first round, I always feel a little uneasy when I predict that. I feel Valley View has the best chance of being a victorious lower seed, so I picked that. The 4A-3 boys could get swept, too, if they're not careful. On the girls side, it looks like chalk will prevail in the first round, although the first game of the tournament could get interesting. Mills and Batesville are the favorites to win this, obviously.

godeep

According to Maxpreps 7 out of Top Ten in 4A boys are in this regional tournament. Super competitive.

J12

Quote from: godeep on February 17, 2019, 08:39:50 pm
According to Maxpreps 7 out of Top Ten in 4A boys are in this regional tournament. Super competitive.

Valley view is the only one not. They've beaten Westside, Brookland, & Blytheville.

EarlTheSnakeWhite

February 17, 2019, 10:22:49 pm #19 Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:41:35 pm by EarlTheSnakeWhite
Quote from: slawdawg millionaire on February 17, 2019, 08:23:34 pm
While this tournament could easily go chalk in the first round, I always feel a little uneasy when I predict that. I feel Valley View has the best chance of being a victorious lower seed, so I picked that. The 4A-3 boys could get swept, too, if they're not careful. On the girls side, it looks like chalk will prevail in the first round, although the first game of the tournament could get interesting. Mills and Batesville are the favorites to win this, obviously.

If I had to go with an upset on the boys side, I would say FC over Blytheville. I don't think anyone is beating Mills. I would take Westside comfortably over eSTEM. The girls side is hard to pick an upset. Highland is not deep enough, Batesville is too much for eSTEM, Lonoke sounds nothing like the team they were last year and Brookland wants revenge. I guess I would go with Pokey if I had to pick an upset. Should be a great week of games!

87DAWG

I'll take  Mills (Boys) and Batesville (Girls) to take this Region.

Highland fan, so I'll comment on first round game vs Stuttgart! Depth is always the issue with Highland. Stuttgart has it and have alot of athletic players who thrive on fast breaks and layups. Stuttgart is rolling right now! Highland is 2-4 last 6 with only wins over Valley View. It's obvious, Highland has to put 4 quarters together to be in it!

Livewire

I'm going to agree with all of Slawdogs picks, except McCellan/VV. VV can make it an interesting game if CJ stays out of foul trouble, but McC will take this one regardless.
And certainly can't see Fenimore as best on-ball guard in 4a-3. Wouldn't matter if he was though, because Mills will destroy Brookland.

Mills will win on boys side. Batesville on girls side.

Rick Swines

I agree. I have seen VV and MCclellan and LRMC is better than VV.  I know anything can happen but I expect LRMC to win by double digits. 

Former, Coach Jacobs

Nice write up slawdawg millionaire. Going to be a tall order for Valley View. If they are making shots they can beat most teams. If the big kid can stay out of foul trouble they definitely have a chance.

I wouldn't bet against Dwight Lofton and Forrest City. They will be ready to play as two old 5A-East rivals tie up. I think that will be one of the best first round games.

godeep

FC/Blytheville  should be a good one.  Both teams will battle hard.  Whoever gets the other to play at their tempo will win. Flip a coin.

JessieP

Quote from: godeep on February 18, 2019, 08:50:29 pm
FC/Blytheville  should be a good one.  Both teams will battle hard.  Whoever gets the other to play at their tempo will win. Flip a coin.

That should be a good one. They are arch football rivals so there is already bad blood there. As far as you know, does either team have any football players?

godeep

A-5 owns 5A state finals last 5 years
2014 FC (W)
2015  McClellan (W)
2016 FC (W)
2017 Mills (W)
2018 Mills (L)

Not the same teams but they know what it takes to get there.  Looking forward to good action Wednesday thru Saturday. A 3  will represent well.   

J12

Quote from: godeep on February 19, 2019, 06:00:32 am
A-5 owns 5A state finals last 5 years
2014 FC (W)
2015  McClellan (W)
2016 FC (W)
2017 Mills (W)
2018 Mills (L)

Not the same teams but they know what it takes to get there.  Looking forward to good action Wednesday thru Saturday. A 3  will represent well.

Last year this same region sent the final 4 to state. 2 dropped to 3A this year. So same could be said about them as well.

3 Dollar

Predictions:

Girls:
1.  Batesville
2.  Brookland
3.  Stuttgart
4.  Pulaski Academy

Boys:
1.  LR Mills
2.  Blytheville
3.  LR McClellan
4.  Westside Jonesboro

JessieP

Predictions are wrong, just plain wrong. Why can't every team win? It's my prayer that one day we will do away with all scoreboards in every sport. Every team is already a winner, every fan base are all winners, every ref is a perfect winner. There is no one team better than any other. The point has been made very clear to us, before posting anything first ask yourself WWNFD (What Would Ned Flanders Do). If we all live by that creedo FF would be a much more sanitized place.

Gray lizard

Quote from: JessieP on February 19, 2019, 04:46:20 pm
Predictions are wrong, just plain wrong. Why can't every team win? It's my prayer that one day we will do away with all scoreboards in every sport. Every team is already a winner, every fan base are all winners, every ref is a perfect winner. There is no one team better than any other. The point has been made very clear to us, before posting anything first ask yourself WWNFD (What Would Ned Flanders Do). If we all live by that creedo FF would be a much more sanitized place.
Ok I will stick to the North region from now on.

wait4it

slawdawg millionaire

Can't update Twitter from the Hutson Memorial Center, so I'll be updating on here exclusively. If anybody feels like relaying my updates to Twitter, feel free to do so.

slawdawg millionaire

Girls
Highland 19,
Stuttgart 12, End 1st

JessieP

Thank you Slawdawg, our man on the scene. I'm anxious to see if Brookland rolls out the Easter Island offense tonight? I wonder if they are someone in an empty room practicing standing perfectly still?

slawdawg millionaire

Girls
Highland 28,
Stuttgart 20, Halftime.

For Highland, Cheyenne Yates has 10 points followed by Briley Pena with 9. Abby Dietsche has stuffed the stat sheet with 5 points, 5 blocks, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals.

For Stuttgart, Ketiyah Harrison has 12 points and 7 rebounds, but she needs some help from her friends. Lady Ricebirds up to 10 turnovers.

EarlTheSnakeWhite

I'm a little surprised by that score. Are the 4A-5 girls that weak this year?

slawdawg millionaire

Girls
Highland 37,
Stuttgart 35, End 3rd

slawdawg millionaire

Girls
Highland 41,
Stuttgart 35, 6:26 left

slawdawg millionaire

Girls
Highland 49,
Stuttgart 39, 1:19 left.

Lady Ricebirds just ended a 12-2 run for Highland.

slawdawg millionaire

Girls
Highland 51,
Stuttgart 41, :48.1 left.

Camajam1

Is there a way to watch or listen to these games?

slawdawg millionaire

Girls
Highland 57,
Stuttgart 41, FINAL

Lady Rebels (19-11)
Briley Pena (freshman) 24 points, 18/20 FTs, 5 assists, 5 rebounds
Cheyenne Yates 12 points, 5 rebounds
Abby Dietsche 11 points, 8 blocks, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 assists

Lady Ricebirds (24-4)
Ketiyah Harrison 19 points, 14 rebounds
Aniyah Hobbs 11 points
Team: 10 first-half turnovers, 8/29 FGs in the second half

EarlTheSnakeWhite

Quote from: slawdawg millionaire on February 20, 2019, 05:13:04 pm
Girls
Highland 57,
Stuttgart 41, FINAL

Lady Rebels (19-11)
Briley Pena (freshman) 24 points, 18/20 FTs, 5 assists, 5 rebounds
Cheyenne Yates 12 points, 5 rebounds
Abby Dietsche 11 points, 8 blocks, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 assists

Lady Ricebirds (24-4)
Ketiyah Harrison 19 points, 14 rebounds
Aniyah Hobbs 11 points
Team: 10 first-half turnovers, 8/29 FGs in the second half

Congrats to the Lady Rebels on making the 4A state tournament!

NEA Razorback olfan

Congratulations to the Highland Lady Rebels !!
Great Game!!

FoxandHound34

Wow the Lady Birds go down hard round 1

slawdawg millionaire

Boys
Brookland 9,
LR Mills 6, End 1st

J12

slawdawg millionaire

Boys
Brookland 25,
LR Mills 15, 2:54 left in 1st half