• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shooting fouls

Started by RamblinRazorWreck, February 06, 2019, 09:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RamblinRazorWreck

I understand that the game has gotten more physical, with a lot of no-calls on bumps away from the hoop and on rebounds... but it is getting a little out-of-hand when shooters are getting banged, or their elbow slapped with no whistle.

Is it any wonder that the mid-range jumper, post-up moves, and good FT shooting are dying a slow and painful death? 

I am afraid that very soon headgear will be mandatory!  (Sarcasm, but not totally)

And undercutting a jump shooter by feigning to block him out 20 feet from the rim is just plain dangerous (and borderline bush league, IMO)!

Rant complete!  :-X

bobcats

I still see plenty of refs who think the fans are there to watch them call 50 fouls a game.

RamblinRazorWreck

Quote from: bobcats on February 06, 2019, 02:41:08 pm
I still see plenty of refs who think the fans are there to watch them call 50 fouls a game.

I understand the sentiment... but I believe the game should be played the same everywhere.  I don't think refs call very many fouls where there was not one committed.

Playing solid defense without fouling was once a thing that was taught and emphasized.  The word "foul" actually has meaning... it used to be an unintentional (but sometimes intentional) INFRACTION that comes with a penalty, rather than an intentional means of gaining an advantage.  To get to this "standard", the players should be expected to adjust to the officiating, not the other way around.  If teams are getting called for 50 fouls, that is and should be a problem for the players and coaches to fix, not the refs.  Just my opinion, of course.  I expect disagreement.

To clarify, I am not advocating ZERO contact.  Back to my original point... whacking a shooter during a shot attempt always has been, and always should be called a foul, IMO.  If it is not, then I think the charging call and push off call should be done away with.  Why let the defense pound a shooter, if the shooter cannot pound back?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on February 06, 2019, 03:01:58 pm
I understand the sentiment... but I believe the game should be played the same everywhere.  I don't think refs call very many fouls where there was not one committed.

Playing solid defense without fouling was once a thing that was taught and emphasized.  The word "foul" actually has meaning... it used to be an unintentional (but sometimes intentional) INFRACTION that comes with a penalty, rather than an intentional means of gaining an advantage.  To get to this "standard", the players should be expected to adjust to the officiating, not the other way around.  If teams are getting called for 50 fouls, that is and should be a problem for the players and coaches to fix, not the refs.  Just my opinion, of course.  I expect disagreement.

To clarify, I am not advocating ZERO contact.  Back to my original point... whacking a shooter during a shot attempt always has been, and always should be called a foul, IMO.  If it is not, then I think the charging call and push off call should be done away with.  Why let the defense pound a shooter, if the shooter cannot pound back?

I agree...if your defense looks like your playing football, then it's probably not the refs....just like 10 fouls to 0 fouls isn't necessarily the refs either....

bobcats

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on February 06, 2019, 03:01:58 pm

I think we are agreeing more than disagreeing.  It is quite obvious there is no accountability for referees at the high school level. 

RamblinRazorWreck

Quote from: bobcats on February 06, 2019, 05:29:18 pm
I think we are agreeing more than disagreeing.  It is quite obvious there is no accountability for referees at the high school level.

+1

RamblinRazorWreck

Quote from: RamblinRazorWreck on February 06, 2019, 09:46:47 am
I understand that the game has gotten more physical, with a lot of no-calls on bumps away from the hoop and on rebounds... but it is getting a little out-of-hand when shooters are getting banged, or their elbow slapped with no whistle.

Is it any wonder that the mid-range jumper, post-up moves, and good FT shooting are dying a slow and painful death? 

I am afraid that very soon headgear will be mandatory!  (Sarcasm, but not totally)

And undercutting a jump shooter by feigning to block him out 20 feet from the rim is just plain dangerous (and borderline bush league, IMO)!

Rant complete!  :-X

I am bumping this after seeing the Warriors undercut Harden multiple times last night! 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas