• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you miss Bay and Guy and Kirby

Started by yesteryearman, January 27, 2019, 08:59:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yesteryearman

Have to admit that this board has been very bland without the discussions surrounding Bay and Guy and Kirby.  The old saying must be true...."you don't miss something until it is gone".   Kind of long for the days of recruiting, the godfather, and Kirby consolidated..........all we got now is the twin towers of Norfork girls and ICC with two D-1 underclassmen beating everybody by 20.....not much else to talk about I guess.....

Flobbito

Action movies are less interesting without a villain I suppose.

SackAttack

And then there is the legend of Backboard Shattered! There's your real story says Sack

yesteryearman

Quote from: Flobbito on January 27, 2019, 12:13:31 pm
Action movies are less interesting without a villain I suppose.

Very true......in years past you always knew that Bay or Guy would win the boys and Nemo or Wonderview would win the girls........but at least we could "discuss" about how they always got there......and that we always knew that transfers from Caddo Hills or surrounding areas would propel Kirby to the semi's.....ICC and Norfork are just too clean I guess......and looks like Kirby is doing it with all homegrown......will there be any drama out of the Regionals or State tourney this year............got to be something that would entice folks to climb the steps at ICC's gym.

Flobbito

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 27, 2019, 03:44:56 pm
Very true......in years past you always knew that Bay or Guy would win the boys and Nemo or Wonderview would win the girls........but at least we could "discuss" about how they always got there......and that we always knew that transfers from Caddo Hills or surrounding areas would propel Kirby to the semi's.....ICC and Norfork are just too clean I guess......and looks like Kirby is doing it with all homegrown......will there be any drama out of the Regionals or State tourney this year............got to be something that would entice folks to climb the steps at ICC's gym.

Norfork has a transfer that played for Mammoth Springs last year and Bay the year before, so there's that.

Sports Loser

Quote from: Flobbito on January 27, 2019, 04:03:57 pm
Norfork has a transfer that played for Mammoth Springs last year and Bay the year before, so there's that.
Ring chasing

Flobbito

Quote from: Sports Loser on January 28, 2019, 06:24:51 am
Ring chasing

With This last move it appears to be. From what I've read on the board, her dad became the superintendent at Mammoth, explaining that move.

Sports Loser

Quote from: Flobbito on January 28, 2019, 07:43:28 am
With This last move it appears to be. From what I've read on the board, her dad became the superintendent at Mammoth, explaining that move.
Maybe she doesn't like going to the same school as her dad?  Could be or maybe that ball team just wasn't good enough

yesteryearman

Quote from: Sports Loser on January 28, 2019, 09:01:32 am
Maybe she doesn't like going to the same school as her dad?  Could be or maybe that ball team just wasn't good enough

The Ballards must have moved their trailer house from Guy to Norfork.....

Topgun

Kirby girls has 5 tranfers on this years team, not all home grown.

yesteryearman

Quote from: Topgun on January 28, 2019, 10:05:22 am
Kirby girls has 5 tranfers on this years team, not all home grown.

I don't see but two players who are on this years roster that weren't on last years roster......?

Sports Loser

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 27, 2019, 08:59:37 am
Have to admit that this board has been very bland without the discussions surrounding Bay and Guy and Kirby.  The old saying must be true...."you don't miss something until it is gone".   Kind of long for the days of recruiting, the godfather, and Kirby consolidated..........all we got now is the twin towers of Norfork girls and ICC with two D-1 underclassmen beating everybody by 20.....not much else to talk about I guess.....
Norfork has had the best team in Girls the last 5 years maybe with the new recr......move in they can get it done.  Who all has beat them?

yesteryearman

Quote from: Sports Loser on January 28, 2019, 01:01:11 pm
Norfork has had the best team in Girls the last 5 years maybe with the new recr......move in they can get it done.  Who all has beat them?

I don't think they have played their nemesis Wonderview yet this year.  Seems like Wonderview  puts them out of the tourney most years.........

Topgun

! from ouachita, 1 from Dierks, 1 from centerpoint, 1 from wisconsin and 1 girl from caddo that moved 2 years ago. Gratly improved ther depth.

Bomberman

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 28, 2019, 09:24:01 am
The Ballards must have moved their trailer house from Guy to Norfork.....
She actually lives with her grandparents who just happened to already live in the Norfork district. I believe she made the change late in the school year last year after basketball season ended.

Bomberman

I think they have lost to Rural Special early in the year in o.t. , Valley Springs , Melbourne and Paragould.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: Topgun on January 28, 2019, 03:43:02 pm
! from ouachita, 1 from Dierks, 1 from centerpoint, 1 from wisconsin and 1 girl from caddo that moved 2 years ago. Gratly improved ther depth.

Go sit at the old sale barn in Glenwood on a school day.  In a 15 minute period you can see Centerpoint, Caddo Hills and Kirby buses go by :) :) :)

yesteryearman

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on January 30, 2019, 11:40:33 am
Go sit at the old sale barn in Glenwood on a school day.  In a 15 minute period you can see Centerpoint, Caddo Hills and Kirby buses go by :) :) :)

Not sure what the point is, unless you are saying that all the good ballplayers are on the Kirby bus......?

Motownsportsfan

January 30, 2019, 12:46:30 pm #18 Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:47:14 am by Motownsportsfan
Whats Norfork's record against Wonderview the last 5 years? Like 1 and 4 or worst. Pretty sure Wonderview eliminated them more than once from State tournament I'm thinking 3 years in a row but who is counting

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 30, 2019, 11:51:16 am
Not sure what the point is, unless you are saying that all the good ballplayers are on the Kirby bus......?

Topgun mentioned transfers to Kirby from Caddo & Centerpoint.  My point was those districts are intermingled so it's not shocking for kids to move around. 

Bears_94

Quote from: Motownsportsfan on January 30, 2019, 12:46:30 pm
Whats Norfolk's record against Wonderview the last 5 years? Like 1 and 4 or worst. Pretty sure Wonderview eliminated them more than once from State tournament I'm thinking 3 years in a row but who is counting

Every year is different.... have you watched them this year? Apparently not! They are winning it just like Izard county is. Sounds like you are living in the past . It's 2019 not the last five years but hey what do I know?? Saying that is like saying Guy Perkins is winning state in the boys this year.  Welcome to 2019 where 2 north has some buzz 🙄

yesteryearman

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on January 30, 2019, 01:03:18 pm
Topgun mentioned transfers to Kirby from Caddo & Centerpoint.  My point was those districts are intermingled so it's not shocking for kids to move around.

OK, I got that.....with these intermingled school districts and kids moving around, I wonder how many students have played their early years (jr high ball) at Kirby and then finished up at Centerpoint, Ouachita, Caddo, etc....if the answer is what I think it is, then statistically speaking you would have to believe that something is going on.    I understand the argument that wanting to play in a good program and indeed Kirby does have excellent coaches, they win district/region every year, and kids want to be a part of that.   But what about the other majority of schools who do not have that geographic or proximity advantages?   I guess it is what it is....

Motownsportsfan

January 30, 2019, 05:20:59 pm #22 Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:48:22 am by Motownsportsfan
Quote from: Bears_94 on January 30, 2019, 05:17:37 pm
Every year is different.... have you watched them this year? Apparently not! They are winning it just like Izard county is. Sounds like you are living in the past . It's 2019 not the last five years but hey what do I know?? Saying that is like saying Guy Perkins is winning state in the boys this year.  Welcome to 2019 where 2 north has some buzz 🙄
They were beating people 40 and 50 points last year. Ask anyone. They will meet I feel certain. The comment was made Norfork has been the best team the last 5 years and all I did was state the facts. Wonderview has been better

Bears_94

Quote from: Motownsportsfan on January 30, 2019, 05:20:59 pm
They were beating people 40 and 50 points last year. Ask anyone. They will meet I feel certain. The comment was made Norfolk has been the best team the last 5 years and all I did was state the facts. Wonderview has been better
It is a different team than the last five years. Yes they will meet again and it'll be a match up to watch. Viola and Alpena are good too. I predict Norfork down at Hot Springs . You won't convince me otherwise I've watched pretty much every girls team in the top 15 and several multiple times. Last I heard Norfork is down a starter and they are still firing on all cylinders by the looks of it.  The difference in this year and last year is no one knows much about this team....how about them Izard County Cougars?? No one is touching them this year .

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Motownsportsfan on January 30, 2019, 05:20:59 pm
They were beating people 40 and 50 points last year. Ask anyone. They will meet I feel certain. The comment was made Norfolk has been the best team the last 5 years and all I did was state the facts. Wonderview has been better

Wonderview is only a shadow of the last few years IMO...If Simon was still the coach at WV, I'd say they had a chance....

Woodrow1

Quote from: Bears_94 on January 30, 2019, 05:59:11 pm
It is a different team than the last five years. Yes they will meet again and it'll be a match up to watch. Viola and Alpena are good too. I predict Norfork down at Hot Springs . You won't convince me otherwise I've watched pretty much every girls team in the top 15 and several multiple times. Last I heard Norfork is down a starter and they are still firing on all cylinders by the looks of it.  The difference in this year and last year is no one knows much about this team....how about them Izard County Cougars?? No one is touching them this year .

Didn't Norfork lose one of their good guards to a torn ACL?

Majorpain

Bomberman

Quote from: Woodrow1 on January 30, 2019, 07:20:14 pm

Didn't Norfork lose one of their good guards to a torn ACL?
Unfortunately  that may be the case from what I have heard. She is such a good player and a better person. Really bad to see that happen to anyone but even worse to a senior this close to the end of the year.  I wish her the best of luck and a complete recovery.

Motownsportsfan

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 30, 2019, 06:58:49 pm
Wonderview is only a shadow of the last few years IMO...If Simon was still the coach at WV, I'd say they had a chance....
The difference in this team and past teams is consistency. They sometimes play down but rest assured the team that beat vilonia will beat any 1A team this year. I do agree on the boys side ICC is almost impossible to beat but on the girls side it is up for grabs. Good luck to all . It's about that time

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 30, 2019, 05:20:37 pm
OK, I got that.....with these intermingled school districts and kids moving around, I wonder how many students have played their early years (jr high ball) at Kirby and then finished up at Centerpoint, Ouachita, Caddo, etc....if the answer is what I think it is, then statistically speaking you would have to believe that something is going on.    I understand the argument that wanting to play in a good program and indeed Kirby does have excellent coaches, they win district/region every year, and kids want to be a part of that.   But what about the other majority of schools who do not have that geographic or proximity advantages?   I guess it is what it is....

I personally hate to see kids moving schools for sports, but if you look at what's happening at the higher levels (college, pro), then it's easy to see why high school kids are doing the same.

Sports Loser

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on February 01, 2019, 01:05:45 pm
I personally hate to see kids moving schools for sports, but if you look at what's happening at the higher levels (college, pro), then it's easy to see why high school kids are doing the same.
I agree it's like Lebrun and Durant.  I agree with this post.  Kids are becoming less and less loyal to school and community.  Kind of sad.  Ring chasing is what it's all about now I guess

GoonGang870

Kirby has been using the surrounding talent for years now. With all the talent the "good coaches" have had over the years one state Championship is by far a disappointment.  In fact it's a shame they recruit these kids from other schools and forget about the real Kirby kids. If they were "good coaches" the would be able to coach up the Kirby kids.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: GoonGang870 on February 03, 2019, 07:11:19 pm
Kirby has been using the surrounding talent for years now. With all the talent the "good coaches" have had over the years one state Championship is by far a disappointment.  In fact it's a shame they recruit these kids from other schools and forget about the real Kirby kids. If they were "good coaches" the would be able to coach up the Kirby kids.

Kirby girls probably have 4 or 5 titles if it wasn't for Wonderview and Nemo Vista

yesteryearman

February 04, 2019, 06:40:23 am #33 Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:10:38 am by yesteryearman
Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 03, 2019, 08:40:43 pm
Kirby girls probably have 4 or 5 titles if it wasn't for Wonderview and Nemo Vista

Nemo had a run of great talent, Wonderview had great coaching and the "Zimmerman" effect.   In Class A you get the ups and downs in talent......Nemo's talent base seems to have come back to the pack, Wonderview has new coach and maybe not the talent level of the past......Kirby appears to have "gathered up" their usual group of very good players, but, alas, Norfork has great size and a player who already has a ring......another year of disappointment for Kirby?   Maybe the basketball gods just don't approve of the way that Kirby goes about their program.   Same can be said for Kirby boys.......they just never get over the hill.   Point is, hardly any programs has more talent, boys and girls, year in and year out than Kirby.....or has more capable coaching than Kirby......or has a better fan base than Kirby......they start out and finish up in top ten every year........they post 25-30 wins every year......yet have one trophy....why.........maybe they just run into other programs, every year, who are having or are in the midst of a once in a lifetime run of talent or coaching...........will this year be any different.....ICC and Norfork are saying no.

yesteryearman

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 03, 2019, 08:40:43 pm

Actually, over the last 8yrs Kirby girls are 0-3 vs Nemo, 0-3 vs Wonderview, 0-1 vs Sacred Heart and 0-1 vs MVE.   If they win Region 4 they will likely get Rural Special or Concord in round 1.  Then maybe Jasper in quarterfinals, then, uh-oh, Wonderview in semi's.......then Norfork.....

probie2232

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 04, 2019, 03:44:49 pm
Actually, over the last 8yrs Kirby girls are 0-3 vs Nemo, 0-3 vs Wonderview, 0-1 vs Sacred Heart and 0-1 vs MVE.   If they win Region 4 they will likely get Rural Special or Concord in round 1.  Then maybe Jasper in quarterfinals, then, uh-oh, Wonderview in semi's.......then Norfork.....

I don't believe your numbers are accurate.  Kirby beat Wonderview on a last second shot in ICC a few years back to make it to the finals.  I believe back to back years before that they beat sacred heart in the first and second round.  I also remember them beating MVE in the recent past as well. 

They never could beat nemo but neither could anyone else when it mattered.

HorseFeathers

Kirby's W/L against teams in state tournament Since 2011
Jasper 2-0
Nemo Vista 1-3
Sacred Heart 1-1
Alpena 1-0
Wonderview 1-3
Lead Hill 1-0
Norfork 1-0
Kingston 1-0
Nevada 1-0
Concord 1-0
Mammoth Spring 1-0
mve 0-1

yesteryearman

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 04, 2019, 06:24:21 pm
Kirby's W/L against teams in state tournament Since 2011
Jasper 2-0
Nemo Vista 1-3
Sacred Heart 1-1
Alpena 1-0
Wonderview 1-3
Lead Hill 1-0
Norfork 1-0
Kingston 1-0
Nevada 1-0
Concord 1-0
Mammoth Spring 1-0
mve 0-1

OK, I stand corrected.....   3-8 vs Nemo, WV, MVE, SH.......and even at that they probably still have one of the better if not the best state tournament winning percentage......but with only one title.....that coming in 2010.  You would think they would have more.

Motownsportsfan

Don't feel bad. Wonderview has played in championship game 5 times in last 7 years and only won 2. Final 4 the other 2 years. I hope to see another Kirby Wonderview matchup. They have been great over the years

yesteryearman

Quote from: Motownsportsfan on February 04, 2019, 06:53:57 pm
Don't feel bad. Wonderview has played in championship game 5 times in last 7 years and only won 2. Final 4 the other 2 years. I hope to see another Kirby Wonderview matchup. They have been great over the years

I think they will meet in the semi's...Norfork and MVE in the other side

yesteryearman

Just saw where Nashville's Jr girls finished 21-0, closest game was 12 points and won 15 of 21 by over 20 points.  Several things come to mind here, obviously they are very well coached and understand she is retiring.  Secondly, also obvious is that they did not play Kirby Jr girls, and thirdly,  how far from Nashville to Kirby.   Do Kirby busses go through Nashville?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 10, 2019, 03:24:27 pm
Just saw where Nashville's Jr girls finished 21-0, closest game was 12 points and won 15 of 21 by over 20 points.  Several things come to mind here, obviously they are very well coached and understand she is retiring.  Secondly, also obvious is that they did not play Kirby Jr girls, and thirdly,  how far from Nashville to Kirby.   Do Kirby busses go through Nashville?

28 miles per Google maps.....Might be able to reroute a bus or two to a discrete location for a couple school choice students

yesteryearman

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 10, 2019, 03:27:39 pm
28 miles per Google maps.....Might be able to reroute a bus or two to a discrete location for a couple school choice students

I think that Kirby has a special bus for female school choice students who  are over 5'9" or shoot threes....... they go to the top of the list.......

Motownsportsfan

March 05, 2019, 06:27:24 am #43 Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 12:27:52 pm by Motownsportsfan
Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 30, 2019, 06:58:49 pm
The Byers girl has been the best player on the team for 3 years now. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we still have a chance IMO.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Motownsportsfan on March 05, 2019, 06:27:24 am
The Beyers girl has been the best player on the team for 3 years now. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we still have a chance IMO.

Well 🤷🤦  that didn't age well lol

Motownsportsfan

Lol. Just messing with ya HF. All in good fun

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas