• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-4 2019

Started by x14113, January 25, 2019, 05:00:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

x14113

With Quinn McClain taking a portal 11 miles west, will that open the door for Dover or Waldron to overtake Elkins for a playoff berth in September?

(To say nothing of how it might look at the top...)

Gray lizard

I have to think we will see a repeat of what we saw last year.  Same teams in same places from top to bottom.  I dont think Dover will Waldron could be some better. There is a chance we could see Pottsville drop a spot and Dardanelle go up a spot.
I do not look for the 4-4A to be very strong again this year. No teams I know of that have a chance to compete at the State level. I sure hope I a wrong but just the way I see it.

Coach9586

Elkins will be a wild card. They lost a really talented Sr. class and with their QB transferring to Fayettville who knows how this team will be.

Sigmund Sauer

February 01, 2019, 10:33:54 pm #3 Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:08:11 am by Sigmund Sauer
I feel like the 4-4A conf. championship is going to be a battle between Dardanelle and Ozark for the next few years. Mena and "Elkins" will look to mix it up in the top 3 as well.

athletic supporter

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on February 01, 2019, 10:33:54 pm
I feel like the 4-4A conf. championship is going to be a battle between Dardanelle and Ozark for the next few years. Mena and Prairie Grove will look to mix it up in the top 3 as well.

????? Maybe Pottsville???

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: athletic supporter on February 02, 2019, 08:05:36 am
Definitely possible. I thought they would have a big year this past season so maybe I'm just a year behind?

beach bum

Quote from: athletic supporter on February 02, 2019, 08:05:36 am

LOL .... Yes Prairie Grove definitely does not want the 4-4A travel schedule for sure.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: beach bum on February 02, 2019, 09:40:43 am

LOL .... Yes Prairie Grove definitely does not want the 4-4A travel schedule for sure.
Lol I fixed it, no idea why I type Prairie Grove almost every time I mean Elkins!

Gray lizard

Pottsville will be fair.  I think they will fight for the third spot, but doubt they will compete for championship over the next two years.

threepeoplematter

Always seems like the top 2 teams from this conference have the chance to make some noise.  Will be interesting for sure.  Seems highly competitive next year.

Redlinebacker32

Dardanelle, Pottsville, and Ozark will be competing for the top 3 spots. Mena and Elkins will be battling for 4 and 5. And Waldron, Dover, and Subiaco will round out the bottom 3. I hear Waldron is having some solid improvements in the weight room this off-season, so hopefully that correlates to a little bit more success this season.

x14113

Overall, I anticipate a competitive race in a gradually-tougher conference. A multi-team Turkey Day isn't out of the question.

Title Contenders: Dardanelle, Mena, Ozark--The prospects for any of these three can range from "consensus favorite" to "woefully overlooked." The senior-laden Lizards will want to seize on their best shot at a title in at least a four-year span. The Bearcats return most of their production on both sides, but have holes to fill in the coaching staff. While graduating a 3-year starting QB is usually considered a major hurdle, the Hillbillies have plenty for a successor to work with, including one of if not the highest-rated senior in Class 4A.

On the Fence: Pottsville--The more I reflect on their recent state of affairs, the more I realize just how volatile the Apaches have been during the 2010s. Even with the players coming back (possibly including a certain junior that didn't even dress out last year?), I see little reason to expect any different, at least for 2019. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest questions surrounding Pottsville football concern the very foundation of the program itself, particularly the philosophies on both sides of the ball.

Fighting for Week 11: Dover, Elkins, Waldron--The Elks would've had a tough act to follow as it was, but McClain's moveout opens the door for the Pirates and Bulldogs to return to the playoffs. Whoever makes the most strides on defense between these three will have the leg up.

Looking to Surprise: Subiaco--With their single win last year over a team that made the playoffs, the Trojans are realizing that it is't just them--their conference is that competitive. Then again, when one realizes just how sparse and remote the eastern half of Logan Co. really is, is it any surprise that Subi has been run like a 2A program? Winning a single conference game in the last five seasons still isn't a good look, and graduaating what might be the best senior class in 8 years doesn't help matters.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: x14113 on April 26, 2019, 01:08:54 pm
Overall, I anticipate a competitive race in a gradually-tougher conference. A multi-team Turkey Day isn't out of the question.

Title Contenders: Dardanelle, Mena, Ozark--The prospects for any of these three can range from "consensus favorite" to "woefully overlooked." The senior-laden Lizards will want to seize on their best shot at a title in at least a four-year span. The Bearcats return most of their production on both sides, but have holes to fill in the coaching staff. While graduating a 3-year starting QB is usually considered a major hurdle, the Hillbillies have plenty for a successor to work with, including one of if not the highest-rated senior in Class 4A.

On the Fence: Pottsville--The more I reflect on their recent state of affairs, the more I realize just how volatile the Apaches have been during the 2010s. Even with the players coming back (possibly including a certain junior that didn't even dress out last year?), I see little reason to expect any different, at least for 2019. As far as I'm concerned, the biggest questions surrounding Pottsville football concern the very foundation of the program itself, particularly the philosophies on both sides of the ball.

Fighting for Week 11: Dover, Elkins, Waldron--The Elks would've had a tough act to follow as it was, but McClain's moveout opens the door for the Pirates and Bulldogs to return to the playoffs. Whoever makes the most strides on defense between these three will have the leg up.

Looking to Surprise: Subiaco--With their single win last year over a team that made the playoffs, the Trojans are realizing that it is't just them--their conference is that competitive. Then again, when one realizes just how sparse and remote the eastern half of Logan Co. really is, is it any surprise that Subi has been run like a 2A program? Winning a single conference game in the last five seasons still isn't a good look, and graduaating what might be the best senior class in 8 years doesn't help matters.

Sounds pretty impressive, is that the Sanders boy?

x14113

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on April 26, 2019, 10:04:35 pm
Sounds pretty impressive, is that the Sanders boy?

No, Tyler Sanders will be a junior.

The senior in question is TE/DT Bryant Burns. He received his first FBS offers (Army, App State) earlier this week.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: x14113 on April 26, 2019, 10:28:05 pm

No, Tyler Sanders will be a junior.

The senior in question is TE/DT Bryant Burns. He received his first FBS offers (Army, App State) earlier this week.
Awesome, congrats to that young man. Keep us updated on his offers.

Gray lizard

Dang X. How do you get your information?  You know things I am just hearing about today in Pville.

x14113

MaxPreps might've spilled the beans a little bit on that one.  ;D

Mind, that same preseason roster also has Kurtis Kemp listed, so take that as you will.

x14113

Looks like we may have a situation developing in Pirate Country.

Keep your eyes peeled.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: x14113 on May 03, 2019, 05:04:22 pm
Looks like we may have a situation developing in Pirate Country.

Keep your eyes peeled.
I'll bite, "Situation?"

x14113

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on May 03, 2019, 07:36:52 pm
I’ll bite, “"Situation"?”

The 2A board should have some more info.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: x14113 on May 03, 2019, 07:44:53 pm
Found it. I figured as much. I checked the coaching changes thread first. Seems it may end up there........

Gray lizard

Quote from: x14113 on May 03, 2019, 07:44:53 pm
Ok I give up.  What is the news? If in the 2a post not very clear.

x14113

Nothing's been confirmed at last check, but word on the street is that HC Greg Smith is being courted to Spring Hill.

Let's see how it plays out.

Gray lizard

Quote from: x14113 on May 06, 2019, 10:33:29 am
Nothing's been confirmed at last check, but word on the street is that HC Greg Smith is being courted to Spring Hill.

Let's see how it plays out.
That might be a good thing for the pirates.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 06, 2019, 10:42:48 am
That might be a good thing for the pirates.

I haven't watched them in a couple years, but maybe they'll run more than 3 plays now

x14113

Looks like the whispers have some traction:

Dover has a HC opening posted on SchoolSpring.

Whether Smith is headed south has yet to be confirmed.

Gray lizard

I am I seeing correct Dover will compete all other sports 3A in the next cycle? If so that will add some travel time.

x14113

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 09, 2019, 04:14:24 pm
I am I seeing correct Dover will compete all other sports 3A in the next cycle? If so that will add some travel time.

Not really—the Pirates will simply replace Ftn. Lake in the 3A-4, in which Booneville would be considered the longest trip, assuming all else is stable.

Gray lizard

Quote from: x14113 on May 09, 2019, 10:19:57 pm
Not really—the Pirates will simply replace Ftn. Lake in the 3A-4, in which Booneville would be considered the longest trip, assuming all else is stable.
I was not worried about Dover travel time.  ;)

x14113

Quote from: Gray lizard on May 10, 2019, 07:52:57 am
I was not worried about Dover travel time.  ;)

Heh! Yeah, Dover's replacement in the other 4A-4 will be a bit out of the way.

My money's on JTR or FL.

x14113

Per Twitter, Ozark's Bryant Burns has committed to Army.

Gray lizard

Quote from: x14113 on May 12, 2019, 07:24:52 pm
Per Twitter, Ozark's Bryant Burns has committed to Army.
Great for the young man and best of luck.

x14113

Jwolf12

Quote from: x14113 on May 22, 2019, 08:48:52 am
It's official: Smith to Spring Hill.

https://couriernews.com/MobileContent/Default/Sports/Article/Dover-head-football-coach-moves-on/-3/15/55424
They're getting a great man and great coach. His son is a solid up and coming coach as well. Good luck to the Bears.

Gray lizard

An article in the local paper hints Pottsville may shift away from the Dead T some what next season. This is due to "QB can sling the ball ".  We will see.

HeadBussa08

as far as the 4a-4 is concerned if Ozarks coming group of sophs stay together i seriously doubt Ozark will lose a conference game for the next 3 years.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: HeadBussa08 on May 24, 2019, 08:24:18 am
as far as the 4a-4 is concerned if Ozarks coming group of sophs stay together i seriously doubt Ozark will lose a conference game for the next 3 years.

Yep, that Ozark JV has been a juggernaut for decades.

HeadBussa08

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 24, 2019, 08:37:25 am
Yep, that Ozark JV has been a juggernaut for decades.
I've heard that as well lol

x14113

May 26, 2019, 12:06:17 am #38 Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:09:51 am by x14113
Quote from: HeadBussa08 on May 24, 2019, 08:24:18 am

So long as we take it week by week, I really like our chances for several years to come.

Won't be easy, though, with everyone else taking their best shot.

Gray lizard

Big change in Pottsville.  The offence will not look the same as the past years.  They are slinging the ball all over the field in team camps.  With good success from my information. Wait and see if it continues.

CantDrive055

Quote from: Gray lizard on June 12, 2019, 12:48:28 pm
Big change in Pottsville.  The offence will not look the same as the past years.  They are slinging the ball all over the field in team camps.  With good success from my information. Wait and see if it continues.

Who seems to be calling the offense? I saw today at a team camp in Charleston that one of their coaches left for Clarksville.

Gray lizard

Quote from: CantDrive055 on June 12, 2019, 06:08:09 pm

Who seems to be calling the offense? I saw today at a team camp in Charleston that one of their coaches left for Clarksville.
Coach Jones has been the play caller in the past.

x14113

Quote from: Gray lizard on June 12, 2019, 12:48:28 pm

Sounds like they are doubling down on Carpenter to run the offense for the next two years.

Let's see if they expand from that 02 personnel package.

HorseFeathers

Had a friend tell me today that subiaco has a son of Cedric Cobb's playing for them...any truth to that?

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 16, 2019, 10:47:09 am
Had a friend tell me today that subiaco has a son of Cedric Cobb's playing for them...any truth to that?
It is true. Fine young athlete but not quite where his pops was at this age. Time will tell. They all develop at a different pace.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Sigmund Sauer on June 16, 2019, 11:33:51 am
It is true. Fine young athlete but not quite where his pops was at this age. Time will tell. They all develop at a different pace.

How old is he? And just curious as to why he's at subiaco?

Hasbeen92

Quote from: HorseFeathers on June 16, 2019, 02:01:31 pm
How old is he? And just curious as to why he's at subiaco?
Maybe he's Catholic

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: Hasbeen92 on June 16, 2019, 05:28:07 pm
Maybe he's Catholic
I'd hate to speculate exactly why he's there. Many avenues to go to the Academy and the structured atmosphere is what is life changing for many youth. I believe he's going into he 10th grade. His stats aren't super impressive, but they struggle with numbers so he doesn't have the supporting cast that other skill players may be accustom to in 4A.

friscokid

One of Michael Irvin's sons also played for Subi in the Aughts.

athletic supporter

Quote from: friscokid on June 18, 2019, 09:40:07 am
One of Michael Irvin's sons also played for Subi in the Aughts.

And they were still awful

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas