• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7-1A district tournament site is where?

Started by brotherdew, January 24, 2019, 02:39:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brotherdew

Soooooo.....
Some schools got mad when Caddo Hills was awarded both jr. and sr. district tournaments so a revote was called for.
Now both tournaments are to be held in Kirby?!?

This accomplishes two things.
1) It pretty much assures Kirby of at least a runner up in both tournaments, if not wins all around for the Trojans.
2) A huge overcrowding situation, especially for the later rounds. I mean, have you been to the Kirby gym?

I don't usually have an opinion about district tournament sites, but I'm pretty sure that Umpire would be the only gym that would hold fewer people.
You can't even walk from the bleachers to the lobby without walking on the gym floor!

Ok... I'm done. Good luck everyone

Ripjaw

HorseFeathers

Got mad that one school was hosting both...so they moved both to another school...with a smaller gym...Guess it makes sense to kirby fans

FaceInTheCrowd

I think there's got to be more to this story. Also, I thought District Tournaments rotated between all the schools? I haven't heard of voting on it.

Ripjaw

Quote from: FaceInTheCrowd on January 25, 2019, 05:33:56 pm
I think there's got to be more to this story. Also, I thought District Tournaments rotated between all the schools? I haven't heard of voting on it.
no they vote and Caddo won both the first go around. Not sure why but they did have a re vote and kirby got the votes.

athletic supporter

Must be the only conference in the state who votes on where to host the district tournament. It rotates in ALL the other conferences in the state.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: athletic supporter on January 26, 2019, 12:17:56 pm
Must be the only conference in the state who votes on where to host the district tournament. It rotates in ALL the other conferences in the state.

It Doesn't in the 2a-5S.

athletic supporter

LeftyWorld

Quote from: athletic supporter on January 26, 2019, 06:08:28 pm
Ok. Most or ALL above 2A

Negative. It's on a bid system and it's who bids the most in any conference I've heard of.

paraloma

Mineral Springs has a new gym. You would think they had a fighting chance at hosting.

probie2232

I am pretty sure Mineral Springs did not even place a bid to host districts.  Three schools bid for senior districts with Kirby being the highest bidder.

BossBaby

Most conferences rotate it from school to school each year, unless a prior agreement was made by the conference schools.

probie2232

That is the way the conference has been in the past but when you have 5 new teams enter it in one year I guess the felt the fairest way to start the process is to have it be a bid the first year.

FaceInTheCrowd

How do they bid? If it's a percentage of gate like Regionals or State, who gets the money?

Ripjaw

February 08, 2019, 07:01:24 am #14 Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:03:36 am by Ripjaw
They voted and the first time Caddo got both. I guess one of the Schools did not make it to the first vote and threw a fit. So they voted again and Kirby got both. That is the story i am getting from some School Board members.

probie2232

Quote from: Ripjaw on February 08, 2019, 07:01:24 am
They voted and the first time Caddo got both. I guess one of the Schools did not make it to the first vote and threw a fit. So they voted again and Kirby got both. That is the story i am getting from some School Board members.

At the beginning of the season it was decided by the conference since there was so many new teams in it that this year they would use a bid process to determine who hosted it.  When the meeting took place a few weeks ago not all the schools were represented at the meeting because if they weren't going to bid on it the was no reason to be there.  At the meeting a few schools decided they just wanted to vote instead of the bid process.  A vote was done even though many schools didn't want it.  The three schools  that did not show up and a couple that were at the meeting weren't happy with the vote.  If the schools would have known it was going to be a vote they would have been there. The original plan of a bidding process happened the next week.  Any school could have bid.  Some did some didn't.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: probie2232 on February 08, 2019, 07:52:12 am
At the beginning of the season it was decided by the conference since there was so many new teams in it that this year they would use a bid process to determine who hosted it.  When the meeting took place a few weeks ago not all the schools were represented at the meeting because if they weren't going to bid on it the was no reason to be there.  At the meeting a few schools decided they just wanted to vote instead of the bid process.  A vote was done even though many schools didn't want it.  The three schools  that did not show up and a couple that were at the meeting weren't happy with the vote.  If the schools would have known it was going to be a vote they would have been there. The original plan of a bidding process happened the next week.  Any school could have bid.  Some did some didn't.

Seems a little fishy to agree to bid, then kinda backdoor a vote

probie2232

yesteryearman

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 08, 2019, 08:02:17 am
Seems a little fishy to agree to bid, then kinda backdoor a vote

You can hold the tournament in Kirby Arkansas, Donaldson Arkansas, Norman Arkansas Nome Alaska or any point in between and two things will undoubtedly happen:

1)  Kirby will win

2)  Kirby fans will outnumber all other team's fans combined

It is what it is........

yesteryearman

Quote from: probie2232 on February 08, 2019, 07:52:12 am

Much ado about nothing....

Can anyone even remember the last time that Kirby did not win district tournament, or the last time they even lost a district game for that matter.....

Ripjaw

Quote from: yesteryearman on February 08, 2019, 09:18:40 am
Much ado about nothing....

Can anyone even remember the last time that Kirby did not win district tournament, or the last time they even lost a district game for that matter.....
Proably  the last time they had a roster of just Kirby kids.

NWA Hawg

HorseFeathers

yesteryearman

Quote from: Ripjaw on February 08, 2019, 11:24:27 am
Proably  the last time they had a roster of just Kirby kids.

All of this "recruiting" (school choice) that surrounds Kirby every year could be a bigger issue than it is, if, Kirby ever did anything with all this added talent.   I don't know how many years they have been accumulating kids from all around, but, in that time they have ONE, uno, ein, state championships ( girls 2010).  Oh yes they have won  district every year and regional most years, but beyond that, it is nada for boys and one for girls.   There used to be a "hushed" discussion among coaches as to what coaches have "coached" the most talent and done the least with it.   Certainly Guy has had tons of talent, both boys and girls, and have many, many state trophies to show for that.   There was, it is now consolidated, a school in south Arkansas that had tons of talent, year after year, yet has one state championship to show (boys).   So, Kirby likely keeps other schools, who are using home grown talent, from advancing past district, or regional, and even state tournament, but until they start bringing home the trophy, it is all just talk I guess.

BannerChaser95

Ahhh post season times *cracks knuckles*

It's been a whooping 6 seasons since the kirby Sr boys have lost district. (2013)

Don't quote me on this but to my recollection 2011 was the last time Kirby girls lost district. Acorn may have won one or 2 in there. But since 2013 only 2 sr girls teams have even been to the finals Kirby vs Acorn. (Shocker)

Has anyone made the astonishing 20 minute drive from Kirby's gym to Caddo hills Gym on a February Saturday night for district tournament/Regional tournament time? I have and I can assure it's not the worst drive in the world. Even have XM reception among the cowfields. So you make the said 20 minute drive. You pull up to the large caddo Gym and you see no/nada/ZERO spots available. You will see a line out the door at 3:40-3:45. Give or take a minute or two. You then will see a lot of maroon. You'll say to your self "wow this is a lot of people for me being 20 minutes early"

(good luck finding a seat if you're late too)

You walk in and you have either Caddo/Acorn fans on the left side of the gym, and on the right you see what looks to be the biggest maroon sale at wal-mart in a 3 hour radius on one side of the gym.

If you've been to a state tournament with in the last 20 years. It's something like that but better, louder and more fun to watch because it's your across county line rivals. In other words and ultimately my point

It doesn't matter if Kirby's district is at Kirby.

It doesn't matter if reguonals was in the MOST SOUTHERN 1a school (Bradley)

And it doesn't matter if Kirby fans have to drive to ICC (you can look at the evidence of the last second shot winner against wonderview that they'll be there)

Kirby doesn't care who host district. Put it at Caddo, put it at umpire, mineral springs, I can promise the teams will compete, the fans will show up and I guarantee if you can go a whole minute with unbiased feelings at the game. Heck sit with the Kirby fans. I don't know one that tells a bad story and will gladly let you sit beside them (Just don't expect us to move after our games over because we paid the admission just like you did and we love the sport even if we're not playing)

But you may JUST might catch your self enjoying the product that's put on the floor for Kirby. Yes it's annoying they've been in the district championship EVERY single season since atleast 2009. But I can assure you minus the state titles. They're every bit of heart and soul that's left in 1A basketball across this state. That's my 2 cents. I hope you guys make the trip to sweat it out in the crowded Kirby gymnasium. They'll enjoy the company and I can promise you. You won't feel much more of the game from the stands than you do right then!!

BannerChaser95

I may be off on how long it's been since Kirby's lost district. (It feels like Kirby boys may have lost in 14? And I felt like acorn girls may have won a district or 2 in there since 2011. So again don't hold me to it lol

PTplayer

Pretty sure caddo hills has 3 starters on sr boys team that are not homegrown to that school, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Looks like it's not just kirby getting the move-ins.

BannerChaser95

You must be new, they'll only complain when you're doing good. But no one wants to talk about the other schools doing it 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Ripjaw

February 08, 2019, 03:12:43 pm #28 Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:38:56 pm by Ripjaw
Quote from: PTplayer on February 08, 2019, 01:00:14 pm
Pretty sure caddo hills has 3 starters on sr boys team that are not homegrown to that school, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Looks like it's not just kirby getting the move-ins.
Only one on the team not a starter i think. If they do they should hire a new recruiter i guess 😉.

yesteryearman

Quote from: Ripjaw on February 08, 2019, 03:12:43 pm
Only one on the team not a starter i think. If they do they should hire a new recruiter i guess 😉.

I don't think it will really matter.......Caddo will have to beat Dermott, Nevada,  or Bradley to advance to state......probably not gonna happen......but, stranger things have happened......I remember several years ago when Acorn made a surprising run to the semi's......

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas