• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Minimum weight to play high school football.

Started by Gray lizard, January 16, 2019, 11:53:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

Anything new on this?  My son going into the 10th grade said something about having to weigh 150lbs to play. Don't know if it is just coaches messing with him or a change.

arreferee

Quote from: Gray lizard on January 16, 2019, 11:53:58 am
Anything new on this?  My son going into the 10th grade said something about having to weigh 150lbs to play. Don't know if it is just coaches messing with him or a change.

There's no way that's true (surely someone wasn't dumb enough to make a rule like this).  There are lots of kids playing that weigh less than 150.

HeberFan

I think there's a maximum 40 yard dash time to play high school football.  :o)

Maynard G Krebs

Before he hit his growth spurt, my son played at 110 lbs as a sophomore.  Never heard of any such rule related to minimum size requirements

HeberFan

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 24, 2019, 10:17:49 am
Before he hit his growth spurt, my son played at 110 lbs as a sophomore.  Never heard of any such rule related to minimum size requirements

If your son is speedy, size doesn't matter if he can't be caught!

beach bum

Quote from: HeberFan on September 24, 2019, 10:22:20 am

Yep went to a 3A game last Friday where the back was maybe in the high 130's or low 140's.... He had about 17 or so carries and none between the tackles lol

HeberFan

athletic supporter

We have a kid that I'm not sure weighs 110. Sounds like the Apache coaches (mafia) are at it again trying to discourage kids from playing. They better have "all hands on deck" Friday or it will get ugly quick and EVERY kid will get to play with a running clock

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: HeberFan on September 24, 2019, 10:22:20 am
He made up for his lack of size with his lack of speed!

One of my favorite students and players, though. Not many kids can start for a top 5A team at 5'8" 140 without sub 5 speed, but Maynard Jr managed to. Now that I think about it, it may have been Maynard letting Coach Kelley ride in his limo to away games.

HeberFan

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on September 25, 2019, 08:37:31 pm

One of my favorite students and players, though. Not many kids can start for a top 5A team at 5'8" 140 without sub 5 speed, but Maynard Jr managed to. Now that I think about it, it may have been Maynard letting Coach Kelley ride in his limo to away games.

Kickoff team is a great place for kids who want a starting role.  What is most needed is a crazy desire to sprint 50 yards and no regard for your personal safety.  :o)

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on September 25, 2019, 08:37:31 pm

just like his slow dad!  Thanks for the comment.  Kid with big heart, desire and work ethic.  It has paid off for him.  Never underestimate the confidence building that can be attained from high school football or other team sports.

$aintMaximu$

Berryville running back that started was listed at 112lbs.  He was small but didn't look that small, he is also listed as that on Max Preps as well... But to answer your question, no...  Sounds like the coaches are messing with him, maybe a subtle way to put some size on him...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas