• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEMIFINALS - Harrison @ PA

Started by PA Dad, November 16, 2018, 09:26:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Simba

November 26, 2018, 09:45:10 am #300 Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:07:07 pm by Simba
Quote from: Voice of the Bruins on November 25, 2018, 07:47:55 pm
I've been attending PA's games for several years - they've never shot fireworks.  I was concerned when I read that there may have been a rule violated.  I've reviewed them again and I don't see anything regarding video (or even fireworks.. even though there were none).  Can anyone provide a URL or cite a specific rule on that?

Lastly... about "those pesky kids out on the field"...  You do realize you sound like a cross between Mr. Wilson (ala Dennis the Menace) and any villain on Scooby Doo?  It was halftime.  They weren't hurting anything.

Entering the Playoffs this year there was an Article in The Harrison Paper informing the fans how some things would have to be different on Friday Night. Quoted below is a small piece of what he said.
"Fans, students and anyone not affiliated with the game will not have access to the track or playing field,.

Im not saying anything negative about the kids being on the field. I don't have a problem with it. Just stating what we were told... If i remember right he said he was surprised, to see it, that's it.  Not making a complaint..ha ha

South 45

Quote from: Yellowcake on November 25, 2018, 11:30:19 pm
In the McClellan game, she kicked to the right and 10 of the receiving team members defended the kick and worked on securing the ball. The 11th, who was to her left, beelined it for her and laid her out. Just stroked her from the blindside.

Anyone who questions the validity of this can PM me their phone number and I will text you the video.

Class move.
It's a real shame none of your boys got the chance to return the favor...That's beyond despicable.
I've coached peewee boys who struggled lined up against a girl. Some that would not engage her and others that acted like they wanted to kill her. All I knew to tell them (both scenarios) was treat her like a player, nothing more...nothing less or I'll find someone who will.   

HeberFan

Quote from: South 45 on November 26, 2018, 01:29:59 pm
It's a real shame none of your boys got the chance to return the favor...That's beyond despicable.
I've coached peewee boys who struggled lined up against a girl. Some that would not engage her and others that acted like they wanted to kill her. All I knew to tell them (both scenarios) was treat her like a player, nothing more...nothing less or I'll find someone who will.   

There are no genders in football. Get on the field and prepare to be smacked.

Yellowcake

Quote from: HeberFan on November 26, 2018, 04:12:38 pm
There are no genders in football. Get on the field and prepare to be smacked.

I don't disagree. We have three kickers, one is a 9th grade girl. She's the only one they took out with a deliberate blind side cheap shot. Teams have been hitting kickers on the kickoff for a long time. A Tulsa Union player laid out our kicker at Rogers on the opening kickoff in 1980.

But to pick out the girl and do it to her, well, forgive me, but I am going to have to call you a cheap shot (insert another word for "kitty"). And the coach who called it is cut from that same cloth. Don't take the fact that you are getting an rear whipping out on the girl.

One man's opinion.

JessieP

Quote from: Yellowcake on November 26, 2018, 10:31:13 pm
I don't disagree. We have three kickers, one is a 9th grade girl. She's the only one they took out with a deliberate blind side cheap shot. Teams have been hitting kickers on the kickoff for a long time. A Tulsa Union player laid out our kicker at Rogers on the opening kickoff in 1980.

But to pick out the girl and do it to her, well, forgive me, but I am going to have to call you a cheap shot (insert another word for "kitty"). And the coach who called it is cut from that same cloth. Don't take the fact that you are getting an rear whipping out on the girl.

One man's opinion.

Agree 100%. Sure girls have every right to play football but come on. A 9th girl? that's who you choose to cheap shot? what a coward. A lot of us talk about the day's we played. Before CTE, back when they had the momentum rule (you could hit a qb a good 3 seconds after he released the pass) when a direct helmet hit got you hi-fives. Back then the entire team would have called out that "Kitty's" number meaning payback was coming.

HeberFan

Quote from: Yellowcake on November 26, 2018, 10:31:13 pm

One man's opinion.

My point is, there are no "girls" in football. No "boys," either. Just players. Sometimes players get ear-holed, which is wrong. But it's a rough game.

hogrock

Quote from: HeberFan on November 27, 2018, 08:05:24 am
My point is, there are no "girls" in football. No "boys," either. Just players. Sometimes players get ear-holed, which is wrong. But it's a rough game.

Your point, when it comes to a girl kicking a football who is otherwise disengaged and no threat to make a play on the ball, is totally invalid. No excuse or reason, period, for "tough guy" to take that shot....ever.

HeberFan

Quote from: hogrock on November 27, 2018, 08:26:38 am
Your point, when it comes to a girl kicking a football who is otherwise disengaged and no threat to make a play on the ball, is totally invalid. No excuse or reason, period, for "tough guy" to take that shot....ever.

I'm saying kickers get "roughed" and penalties are called. Happens all the time.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: HeberFan on November 27, 2018, 10:05:42 am
I'm saying kickers get "roughed" and penalties are called. Happens all the time.
I haven't seen the video and didn't see the play even though I was at the game, but it sounds like this kicker was targeted because she is a female.

HeberFan

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on November 27, 2018, 10:23:35 am
I haven't seen the video and didn't see the play even though I was at the game, but it sounds like this kicker was targeted because she is a female.

Doesn't matter "why."  A penalty is a penalty. Call the infraction, dole out the punishment and move on to the next play.

Yellowcake

Quote from: HeberFan on November 27, 2018, 10:31:48 am
Doesn't matter "why."  A penalty is a penalty. Call the infraction, dole out the punishment and move on to the next play.

For purposes of whether or not to call a penalty, you are certainly correct. The "why" doesn't matter.

For purposes of determining character, the "why" matters. Quite a bit, in fact.

HeberFan

Quote from: Yellowcake on November 27, 2018, 11:19:30 am
For purposes of whether or not to call a penalty, you are certainly correct. The "why" doesn't matter.

No, the "why" does not matter. Getting ear-holed hurts just as much whether the opposing player hates you, or is mad at his girlfriend, or just wants to be a jerk.

South 45

I'd like to think I still live in a world that is does...

Maynard G Krebs

I've seen the video of the play and no reasonable person  would consider the action as legitimate. It was indefensible and not even Conrad Dobler  (look him up, you youngsters) would have pulled a stunt like that. 

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: HeberFan on November 27, 2018, 12:45:57 pm
No, the "why" does not matter. Getting ear-holed hurts just as much whether the opposing player hates you, or is mad at his girlfriend, or just wants to be a jerk.
If he hit her because she is a girl and he wouldn't have hit a man, then it matters. It matters more than the 15 yard penalty.

JessieP

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on November 27, 2018, 01:43:33 pm
If he hit her because she is a girl and he wouldn't have hit a man, then it matters. It matters more than the 15 yard penalty.

Oh how proud his parents must be. I just get past cheap shot on a 9th grade girl. Total and complete coward.

JacketFan

Back in the day, that guy would have been taken care of on the next possession he played.  It's a kinder, and gentler world now, maybe he just needs to take some deep breaths and maybe sit down and chat with someone, lol

Youngsta71701

Dang they put up 75 on them boys!

HeberFan

Quote from: JessieP on November 27, 2018, 02:19:33 pm
Oh how proud his parents must be. I just get past cheap shot on a 9th grade girl. Total and complete coward.

Do you want female players to wear skirts, and, be off limits for contact?

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: HeberFan on November 30, 2018, 09:19:01 am
Do you want female players to wear skirts, and, be off limits for contact?
Do you want any player to get drilled in the back away from the play?

If you don't see the difference in this situation, it's not worth discussing with you.

Rocket23

I don't know if fireworks are against the rules or not.  Morrilton shot them off in our game with them.  I about peed my pants the first time they went off.

HeberFan

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on November 30, 2018, 10:08:50 am
Do you want any player to get drilled in the back away from the play?

If you don't see the difference in this situation, it's not worth discussing with you.

Don't want anyone drilled in the back... that's a penalty. Also don't want players treated differently.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: HeberFan on November 30, 2018, 10:30:44 am

Don't want anyone drilled in the back... that's a penalty. Also don't want players treated differently.
The only player that took a cheap shot was a girl. Have you considered that she was treated differently because she is a girl?

HeberFan

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on November 30, 2018, 10:35:39 am
The only player that took a cheap shot was a girl. Have you considered that she was treated differently because she is a girl?

I have considered that, but, neither of us knows.

Being on the field puts everyone at the same risk of being skewered.

South 45

Quote from: Rocket23 on November 30, 2018, 10:27:35 am
I don't know if fireworks are against the rules or not.  Morrilton shot them off in our game with them.  I about peed my pants the first time they went off.
I wonder about this myself. The week before the game I asked one of the guys who do our fire works if they were going to be able to. His reply was they are not funded by the school and were not on school property.   

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: HeberFan on November 30, 2018, 10:37:56 am
I have considered that, but, neither of us knows.

Being on the field puts everyone at the same risk of being skewered.
Agree to disagree on this one I guess.

Bruin Backer

After last week's game, I asked the female kicker from PA about the incident. She had no opinion about if it was dirty or not. She simply shrugged and said she was fine and it wasn't a big deal. In other words, she didn't care and had moved on...which is what any good player does after such incidents. Will everyone else please be a grown up as her and move on to another topic.

RazorDad

Cheap shots suck. Ask our linbacker about the first kickoff against Maumelle this year. Actually don't, he was knocked unconscious and can't remember.

Cheap shots on girls - turn in your man card.

Silver lining is that #48 is big enough to take a hit. #90 would have been crushed by the same hit.

HeberFan

Quote from: Bruin Backer on November 30, 2018, 11:58:29 am
After last week's game, I asked the female kicker from PA about the incident. She had no opinion about if it was dirty or not. She simply shrugged and said she was fine and it wasn't a big deal. In other words, she didn't care and had moved on...which is what any good player does after such incidents. Will everyone else please be a grown up as her and move on to another topic.

Good point.

Go Postal

Players get hit on the field wheather it's football or soccer, they are physical sports, but cheap shots are not right no matter what the sex of the player is.
Ithink that most players didn't know that one of or line personnel was female.  He probably didn't want to say anything after getting blocked by her and our ball carrier ran through the hole she helped produce. :-X :-[

Bergman1820

Quote from: Voice of the Bruins on November 25, 2018, 07:47:55 pm
I've been attending PA's games for several years - they've never shot fireworks.  I was concerned when I read that there may have been a rule violated.  I've reviewed them again and I don't see anything regarding video (or even fireworks.. even though there were none).  Can anyone provide a URL or cite a specific rule on that?

Lastly... about "those pesky kids out on the field"...  You do realize you sound like a cross between Mr. Wilson (ala Dennis the Menace) and any villain on Scooby Doo?  It was halftime.  They weren't hurting anything.

I was wrong about the fireworks. I was watching online and what looked to be fireworks was the graphics that came up on the big screen after a score. The sound wasn't working so I couldn't hear. My apologies.

HeberFan

Quote from: Bergman1820 on December 13, 2018, 05:14:35 pm
I was wrong about the fireworks. I was watching online and what looked to be fireworks was the graphics that came up on the big screen after a score. The sound wasn't working so I couldn't hear. My apologies.

I like Scooby Doo.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas