• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pulaski academy 5-peat?

Started by PAguy2008, October 22, 2018, 09:29:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JacketFan

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 02:01:46 pm
Sure, they could play up. But why?

Most importantly, why do people outside the program care?

Feels like people want PA to play at a level where they start losing.
I don't think they would start losing if they moved up.

HeberFan

Quote from: JacketFan on October 23, 2018, 02:08:45 pm
I don't think they would start losing if they moved up.

If PA moved to 7A and won five consecutive state titles, would people ask for a separate division for private schools?

JessieP

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 02:12:56 pm
If PA moved to 7A and won five consecutive state titles, would people ask for a separate division for private schools?

No! No one would. They would be the best, no discussion needed. Until then they will have to deal with teams like NLR saying "Oh, 5A champs, that's cute". Champions want to challenge themselves, many PA fans want to move up.

AHS06

Quote from: JessieP on October 23, 2018, 02:15:31 pm
No! No one would. They would be the best, no discussion needed. Until then they will have to deal with teams like NLR saying "Oh, 5A champs, that's cute". Champions want to challenge themselves, many PA fans want to move up.
I agree.  Plus NLR would smash PA.

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on October 23, 2018, 02:04:46 pm
You have indeed, I have total respect for that view. I was not resorting back to my anti-PA day's, I was simply asking why would they not want to? There is nothing left to accomplish/prove in the 5A. It is not penalizing them for success, in fact it's rewarding them. When I say people get bored of dynasty's I wonder why PA isn't the most bored?

I hope folks don't take this the wrong way because I'm not saying this to brag.  But, the truth is that PA plays 2-3 competitive games a year.  It's no fun to watch a mercy rule game.  I wish PA would play teams that have a good chance of beating them.  That makes  for exciting games.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on October 23, 2018, 02:21:02 pm
I hope folks don't take this the wrong way because I'm not saying this to brag.  But, the truth is that PA plays 2-3 competitive games a year.  It's no fun to watch a mercy rule game.  I wish PA would play teams that have a good chance of beating them.  That makes  for exciting games.

Boom, there it is. If PA moved up to 7A would they win 4 titles in a row? No. Would they be in the hunt? Yes. Would they win at least 1 in a 5 year span? Yes.

RazorDad

Cue the promotion-relegation debate we have in the soccer forum...

(for the record, I would love classifications based on success instead of school enrollment)

Go Postal

Don't worry PA Dad, just 4 more games and you'll get to play the Goblins again.  LOL   ;)

PA Dad

Quote from: Go Postal on October 23, 2018, 02:46:44 pm
Don't worry PA Dad, just 4 more games and you'll get to play the Goblins again.  LOL   ;)

And I'm looking forward to it.  I think Harrison will give PA fits.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 02:06:19 pm
Parity is fine for grade-school field days where everyone gets a ribbon.

I didn't get a ribbon☹️

HeberFan

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 23, 2018, 03:07:19 pm
I didn't get a ribbon☹️

We ordered a really special ribbon for you!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 03:11:04 pm

I hope it is national blue and corn gold (official FFA colors, you know)

HeberFan

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 23, 2018, 03:16:22 pm

How did you know?  Now, get your sippy cup and go lay on your towel. It's nap time. This afternoon I'll be reading "Good Night Moon"

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 03:17:19 pm
How did you know?  Now, get your sippy cup and go lay on your towel. It's nap time. This afternoon I'll be reading "Good Night Moon"

I prefer "if you give a mouse a cookie...."

HeberFan

Well, okay. Or would could read the scary story about how the Blue Bruins gobble up everyone!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 03:19:31 pm
Well, okay. Or would could read the scary story about how the Blue Bruins gobble up everyone!

My favorite 😀

MDXPHD

This is moderately uncomfortable

HeberFan

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 23, 2018, 03:39:27 pm
This is moderately uncomfortable

Yeah, kinda like being on the receiving team of a PA kickoff.

MDXPHD

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 03:43:10 pm
Yeah, kinda like being on the receiving team of a PA kickoff.

You're making it worse. The love is real with this one.

JessieP

Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 02:03:50 pm
Alabama is at the top of the college football world, but, the NFL is a higher classification of football. The comparison is valid.

Kentucky has lots of soon-to-be pro players, so, facing an NBA team is just a higher classification of the same sport. The comparison is valid.

I usually agree with your posts, you seem to be quite knowledgeable. Having said that, Your defense of your analogy just makes your analogy even more silly. Going from 5A to 7A is in no way, shape or form the same as going from college to pro. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction "It ain't the same thing, ain't the same game, ain't even the ballpark". When you make a bombastic comparison like that and are immediately met with 3 or more people responding with an "Are you serious"? It's time to step back and realize you went over the top. Trust me, I've done it a few times myself.

JessieP

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 23, 2018, 01:56:26 pm
Because all of your analogies are false equivalencies and completely ridiculous.

When Almatrackster (Possibly the most level headed analytic poster on FF) is aghast at how silly your comparison is, you may have whiffed on that one.

Go Postal

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 23, 2018, 03:07:19 pm
I didn't get a ribbon☹️
Quote from: HeberFan on October 23, 2018, 03:11:04 pm
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 23, 2018, 03:16:22 pm
At least it has blue ribbon in the name...

JacketFan

Nothing like a PBR, way to go Postal

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: JacketFan on October 23, 2018, 05:01:49 pm
Nothing like a PBR, way to go Postal

16 oz. PBR only $2 every day at Pizza Cafe.  What a country!!!!

Brian G

On second thought, I think PA can win 15 in a row.  Some kindergarten kid out there can already plan on it.

Go Postal

Quote from: B.G. on October 23, 2018, 05:47:37 pm
On second thought, I think PA can win 15 in a row.  Some kindergarten kid out there can already plan on it.

"Everybody say, P and A"

Sorry, B.G. I couldn't resist.

beach bum

October 23, 2018, 06:06:45 pm #76 Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:12:01 pm by beach bum
Quote from: RazorDad on October 23, 2018, 02:41:22 pm
Cue the promotion-relegation debate we have in the soccer forum...

(for the record, I would love classifications based on success instead of school enrollment)

After the season, when the football board talk dies down I am going to create a thread about this just for fun's sake to keep some discussion alive here on the football threads. I watch soccer so I am going to throw out what football would look like if they had promotion/relegation in high school football here. It will be somewhat pointless as it will never happen, but fun for the sake of discussion. I think I am going to use a 3 year average as my basis.

Most American fans will never know the joy, and sadly the heartbreak too that comes with promotion/relegation. It would make conference play and the playoffs so much more competitive if implemented. One argument against it at the high school level I would completely understand of why we can't have it is safety concerns of potentially a team with 30 players on the roster with the possibility of playing rosters 80 and up consistently.

TrenchHogs

Based on size, PA is a 4A school but in Arkansas, private schools have to play up one division. Personally I think PA should move up to 7A so they can play in competitive football games. Look at Alabama.... it can't be fun to just go through the motions week in and week out knowing you will win.
I've never like the idea of having private schools playing public schools....a lot of other states do not mix the two. Look at Bishop Gorman or St. Thomas Aquinas.

HeberFan

There is only one level "up" from college -- that is pro.

Quote from: JessieP on October 23, 2018, 04:52:29 pm
I usually agree with your posts, you seem to be quite knowledgeable. Having said that, Your defense of your analogy just makes your analogy even more silly. Going from 5A to 7A is in no way, shape or form the same as going from college to pro. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction "It ain't the same thing, ain't the same game, ain't even the ballpark". When you make a bombastic comparison like that and are immediately met with 3 or more people responding with an "Are you serious"? It's time to step back and realize you went over the top. Trust me, I've done it a few times myself.

HeberFan

Quote from: TrenchHogs on October 24, 2018, 08:49:52 am
Based on size, PA is a 4A school but in Arkansas, private schools have to play up one division. Personally I think PA should move up to 7A so they can play in competitive football games. Look at Alabama.... it can't be fun to just go through the motions week in and week out knowing you will win.
I've never like the idea of having private schools playing public schools....a lot of other states do not mix the two. Look at Bishop Gorman or St. Thomas Aquinas.

I'm guessing Alabama has plenty of fun!

Redwolves8526

Even a move up to 6A would be great for PA. West Memphis, Pine Bluff, Greenwood, Russellville, Benton, Marion, Jonesboro, El Dorado, etc would be way better matchups than what the 5A can offer. No way they win 5 straight with those teams...but just my opinion.

HeberFan

JessieP

Quote from: HeberFan on October 24, 2018, 09:39:32 am
There is only one level "up" from college -- that is pro.

Let's slow this down, Make it as simple as possible. Maybe then you can step back and realize your comparison was silly.

If PA were to move up from 5A to 7A they would be playing high school teams.

If Alabama or Kentucky were to move up from college to pro they would be playing professional teams.

High school teams vs. High school teams, Very similar.

College teams vs. Pro teams, Not at all similar.

You see?

WTD

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 24, 2018, 09:42:21 am
Even a move up to 6A would be great for PA. West Memphis, Pine Bluff, Greenwood, Russellville, Benton, Marion, Jonesboro, El Dorado, etc would be way better matchups than what the 5A can offer. No way they win 5 straight with those teams...but just my opinion.

I look at the coaching match ups in 6A with PA. Great head coaches in 6A.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 24, 2018, 09:42:21 am

There is a real chance that they could have won the last four years against those teams - but it would be more difficult. 6A would be a lot more entertaining with PA.

PA has 310 for enrollment - a small 4A school. They are allowed to petition to play up if they want. Since, by AAA rules, they are required to be in 5A, it would be easy for them to petition to play up. I'm sure a small 6A school would enjoy moving down since they are struggling each year.

OB11

Quote from: WTD on October 24, 2018, 10:00:35 am
I look at the coaching match ups in 6A with PA. Great head coaches in 6A.

I agree with you on that. Definitely some good ones in 5A as well.

How much does depth effect teams in 5A. I'd say 95% of 6A players only go one way. How many 5A teams have guys going both ways? To me, that would probably be the biggest difference in moving up from 5A to 6A.

Gravelbar

Over the past 5 years how many D1 players have been on PA's field in a Bruins uni?  This is coming from a school population of 300 plus...And, for the record, you have said on here many times you are all for moving up classifications...Yes, good players want to play for Kelly as a  means to move on to D1.  If you build it, they will come.  Kelly has built it.

WTD

Quote from: OB11 on October 24, 2018, 10:03:14 am
I agree with you on that. Definitely some good ones in 5A as well.

How much does depth effect teams in 5A. I'd say 95% of 6A players only go one way. How many 5A teams have guys going both ways? To me, that would probably be the biggest difference in moving up from 5A to 6A.

I think roster sizes are comparable to 6A. PA -80, LRCA - 59, Harrison - 62, Morrilton - 54, McClellan -58, Batesville - 61, Nettleton - 58. I don't think it's common that you see a lot of two way players in 5A, you may see your best spot play in certain situations. Just from what I've noticed.

AHS06

Quote from: WTD on October 24, 2018, 11:07:12 am
I think roster sizes are comparable to 6A. PA -80, LRCA - 59, Harrison - 62, Morrilton - 54, McClellan -58, Batesville - 61, Nettleton - 58. I don't think it's common that you see a lot of two way players in 5A, you may see your best spot play in certain situations. Just from what I've noticed.
The roster sizes are a little comparable to some 6A schools.  However, it is more about the quality of depth.  The biggest difference in 6A and 5A is the size and dept in the trenches. 

TrenchHogs

Quote from: HeberFan on October 24, 2018, 09:41:31 am
I'm guessing Alabama has plenty of fun!

Sure, come playoff time. Just watching them though...they don't even look like they're having fun out there. Almost as if they are bored.
My idea of fun is when games are competitive and close. Just my opinion though.
I coach in the 5A central... trust me.... PA looks very bored on the field... most of the time.

HeberFan

Quote from: TrenchHogs on October 24, 2018, 01:22:54 pm
Sure, come playoff time. Just watching them though...they don't even look like they're having fun out there. Almost as if they are bored.
My idea of fun is when games are competitive and close. Just my opinion though.
I coach in the 5A central... trust me.... PA looks very bored on the field... most of the time.

It's just an all-business attitude. That's how John Outlaw coached his players.

TrenchHogs

Quote from: HeberFan on October 24, 2018, 02:10:10 pm
It's just an all-business attitude. That's how John Outlaw coached his players.

I guess so.... You just got to think that blow out wins get old after awhile, from a competitive standpoint.

HeberFan

Quote from: TrenchHogs on October 24, 2018, 02:20:44 pm
I guess so.... You just got to think that blow out wins get old after awhile, from a competitive standpoint.

The best teams compete to be BETTER.

TrenchHogs

Quote from: HeberFan on October 24, 2018, 02:28:06 pm
The best teams compete to be BETTER.

I agree. I just don't think anyone in 5A can realistically give PA competition. I'm just trying to say that 6A and 7A schools on schedule all year for PA would make them better and be better competition than beating up on 5A year in and year out.

HeberFan

Quote from: TrenchHogs on October 24, 2018, 02:34:15 pm
I agree. I just don't think anyone in 5A can realistically give PA competition. I'm just trying to say that 6A and 7A schools on schedule all year for PA would make them better and be better competition than beating up on 5A year in and year out.

No upside for a bigger school to play PA.
That's why Arkansas will never play Arkansas State.

TrenchHogs

Quote from: HeberFan on October 24, 2018, 02:55:56 pm
No upside for a bigger school to play PA.
That's why Arkansas will never play Arkansas State.

You do have a point

MoTownDog

Next two years will belong to the West.

2018 Goblins
2019 Devil Dogs (the return of Criswell)

incogneto

I am responding to the post claiming the west will win the next two years. 

I am sure the west will take offense to this but who has Harrison played?  Morrilton and Harrison may be amazing but the games leave a lot of questions. 

Morrilton struggled with Vilonia who will be ok but frankly they are not good.  Harrison has rolled through everyone in the west but who else in the west is any good?  Alma lost to Van Buren so they are not very good.  Greenbrier is awful this year.  Vilonia is building.  Farmington is Farmington.  Clarksville is Clarksville, and Huntsville is awful.  So who has Harrison played? 

Now credit where credit is due they have won the way they should win, but asking who they have played is a fair question. 

Morrilton can be a different animal with thier QB back.  We will see. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: MoTownDog on October 24, 2018, 03:33:47 pm

2018 Goblins

Lol. The west will stay insignificant.

But I would like to see Harrison get one.

Zeus

Quote from: MoTownDog on October 24, 2018, 03:33:47 pm

2018 Goblins

The West does not have the speed and atbeleticim to compete with the South and Central. Harrison will be in for a surprise during the playoffs.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas