• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A-1e District matchups

Started by Mr.Swine89, April 26, 2018, 07:38:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Swine89

3A-1E District at Harrison Complex semi match-ups

Friday at 4:00 with the finals to follow

Clinton plays Melbourne

Valley Springs plays Yellville

Winner vs. Winner @6:30

3rd place game @ 6:30 on other field

Clinton and Valley played last year in the finals and I bet we see that again this year. Melbourne has the Pitts kid, and he is very talented on the mound. He should hold Clinton down for a couple innings until the 2nd time through the order.

Valley has the Moorehouse kid. Idk a lot about him except that he does it all according to Maxpreps. Lots of K's and hits very well. I saw him finish a game against Green Forest earlier this year and he was dominant. Easy lower 80's. Yellville can swing it, but they seem to have no ace at all.

YSpanther

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on April 26, 2018, 07:38:45 am
3A-1E District at Harrison Complex semi match-ups

Friday at 4:00 with the finals to follow

Clinton plays Melbourne

Valley Springs plays Yellville

Winner vs. Winner @6:30

3rd place game @ 6:30 on other field

Clinton and Valley played last year in the finals and I bet we see that again this year. Melbourne has the Pitts kid, and he is very talented on the mound. He should hold Clinton down for a couple innings until the 2nd time through the order.

Valley has the Moorehouse kid. Idk a lot about him except that he does it all according to Maxpreps. Lots of K's and hits very well. I saw him finish a game against Green Forest earlier this year and he was dominant. Easy lower 80's. Yellville can swing it, but they seem to have no ace at all.
No Ace at all is a bit strong of a statement.  Yellville has 5 quality pitchers, but none are as dominant as Moorehouse.  Yellville is a team, that if they can outhit a team in the first day of a tournament and steal a win, then they are set up to usually have better pitching on the second and third game than the other team.  The two with good breaking stuff don't throw hard enough, and the two gas throwers, can have control problems at times.  But watch out for Frazier this year and next.  He is the 6'5" post player in Basketball that hadn't played baseball the last two years but came back out and has been getting more and more innings and has been getting better.

TruthHurts

"Melbourne has the Pitts kid, and he is very talented on the mound. He should hold Clinton down for a couple innings until the 2nd time through the order."

As I sit here quietly thinking to myself....Why would Melbourne send Andrew Pitts to the mound against Clinton?

YSpanther

Quote from: TruthHurts on April 26, 2018, 06:44:03 pm
"Melbourne has the Pitts kid, and he is very talented on the mound. He should hold Clinton down for a couple innings until the 2nd time through the order."

As I sit here quietly thinking to myself....Why would Melbourne send Andrew Pitts to the mound against Clinton?

Some think they will go all in to steal one from Clinton.  I think they bide their time and play for the 3 seed vs. Yellville or Valley.  The question is, does Valley think they can get by Yellville without Moorehouse?  Because according to pitching rules, you have 110 for the day.  What if either one throws their ace for like 50 or less and see how it goes, then pulls them to use them in the second game if it isn't going well.  This is what makes baseball this time of year interesting.

Strategery.  ;D

TruthHurts

1.Valley can beat Yellville with out Moorehouse.
2.Melbourne can't beat Clinton with Waka on the mound.
3. Is the Lil Johnny fella still running around Harrison Parks telling anyone in ear shot how much he knows about baseball field maintenance?

YSpanther

Quote from: TruthHurts on April 26, 2018, 09:04:34 pm
1.Valley can beat Yellville with out Moorehouse.
2.Melbourne can't beat Clinton with Waka on the mound.
3. Is the Lil Johnny fella still running around Harrison Parks telling anyone in ear shot how much he knows about baseball field maintenance?
1) If you say so
2) I agree.  We are all playing for 2nd.
3) Don't have any idea what you are talking about.

In the only meeting in the first week of the season, Yellville was only down 2-0 in the 5th before unraveling behind a ton of errors in the field. And that was facing Moorehouse. They have seen a few more good pitchers since then and are a little bit more warmed up. When Valley went with pitchers 3 & 4 in the first game against Bergman, it went 6 innings before they busted it open.  I'm not saying Valley won't win, but I will say that their percentage drops without using Moorehouse.

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: YSpanther on April 26, 2018, 01:37:21 pm
No Ace at all is a bit strong of a statement.  Yellville has 5 quality pitchers, but none are as dominant as Moorehouse.  Yellville is a team, that if they can outhit a team in the first day of a tournament and steal a win, then they are set up to usually have better pitching on the second and third game than the other team.  The two with good breaking stuff don't throw hard enough, and the two gas throwers, can have control problems at times.  But watch out for Frazier this year and next.  He is the 6'5" post player in Basketball that hadn't played baseball the last two years but came back out and has been getting more and more innings and has been getting better.

Sorry. I didn't mean to come off strong with that statement. It was just an observation that I've had over these past couple of seasons. Yellville has quality strike throwers I agree, but defense behind those strikes has sometimes let them down. Valley is not world beaters on D either. If Yellville can put the ball into play consistently, then maybe they can get a couple of cheap unearned runs against Moorehouse. Valley just has too many decent bats that consistently put the ball in play to keep them held down too long.

YSpanther

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on April 27, 2018, 11:55:51 am
Sorry. I didn't mean to come off strong with that statement. It was just an observation that I've had over these past couple of seasons. Yellville has quality strike throwers I agree, but defense behind those strikes has sometimes let them down. Valley is not world beaters on D either. If Yellville can put the ball into play consistently, then maybe they can get a couple of cheap unearned runs against Moorehouse. Valley just has too many decent bats that consistently put the ball in play to keep them held down too long.
That's a fair take.  Most of the bad losses this year for Yellville were more about contagious errors in the field than hitting or pitching.  When they make plays though, they look pretty decent, like on Tuesday against Green Forest. I think both Yellville and Valley are quite similar.  The difference is Moorehouse.  The other fellow suggesting that Valley can cruise by without using him against Yellville, is a bit rosy of a prediction.

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: YSpanther on April 27, 2018, 12:30:04 pm
That's a fair take.  Most of the bad losses this year for Yellville were more about contagious errors in the field than hitting or pitching.  When they make plays though, they look pretty decent, like on Tuesday against Green Forest. I think both Yellville and Valley are quite similar.  The difference is Moorehouse.  The other fellow suggesting that Valley can cruise by without using him against Yellville, is a bit rosy of a prediction.

Agreed. Who is Valley's #2? Nelle or Carnahan? I haven't ever seen Nelle throw. He was usually in the outfield or on the bench last year but has a strong arm.

YSpanther

I would say Nelle maybe, or maybe Carnahan.  Carnahan and Sharp were used against Bergman on Tuesday.

Moorehouse has thrown about 39 innings, then 18 for Carnahan, then 17 for Nelle, 11 for Sharp and James at 9.

Mr.Swine89

Quote from: YSpanther on April 27, 2018, 01:54:19 pm
I would say Nelle maybe, or maybe Carnahan.  Carnahan and Sharp were used against Bergman on Tuesday.

Moorehouse has thrown about 39 innings, then 18 for Carnahan, then 17 for Nelle, 11 for Sharp and James at 9.

If Valley uses Moorehouse against Yellville, then their chances against Clinton are slim to none. But, that's probably true for any team in that district. The key is not to be the 4 seed at this point and have to face Corning or Manila. The 3 seed might not be any better.

YSpanther

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on April 27, 2018, 02:01:48 pm
If Valley uses Moorehouse against Yellville, then their chances against Clinton are slim to none. But, that's probably true for any team in that district. The key is not to be the 4 seed at this point and have to face Corning or Manila. The 3 seed might not be any better.
Walnut Ridge looks pretty good too.  The most winnable team looks like the Piggott/Riverside winner from today.  But they will probably face Clinton.  But they still have all of their seeding jockeying games to play too.  All it takes is a good upset here or there to make the seedings pretty messed up.  That district does it all the time in basketball and baseball.  I have seen their 4 seed be the best team out of their district at times.

But I have seen baseball games turn out completely unlike what you expect.  The flatlanders have to come up to the hills this year, so maybe a few upsets will happen.

Mr.Swine89

Valley beat Yellville 10-0. Moorehouse with a perfect game

Clinton beat Melbourne 18-2 I believe

Clinton beat Valley 3-2 in the district finals. Valley had the tying run on second to end the game.

Melbourne beat Yellville for 3rd place 13-3

YSpanther

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on April 27, 2018, 10:20:07 pm
Valley beat Yellville 10-0. Moorehouse with a perfect game

Clinton beat Melbourne 18-2 I believe

Clinton beat Valley 3-2 in the district finals. Valley had the tying run on second to end the game.

Melbourne beat Yellville for 3rd place 13-3
It was interesting that Yellville got Valley and Melbourne's best shot.  Moorehouse was excellent, and Melbourne saved Pitts for the Yellville game.  What was impressive was that it almost paid off for Valley because their lefty baffled Clinton enough to make it a tough game. It was almost a brilliant move.

Mr.Swine89

Nelle was on for Valley. I had never seen him throw before but he is crafty. The Johnson kid for Clinton was great as well. Yellville ran into tough times. Facing those two guys would be a challenge for most teams.

YSpanther

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on April 28, 2018, 08:11:03 am
Nelle was on for Valley. I had never seen him throw before but he is crafty. The Johnson kid for Clinton was great as well. Yellville ran into tough times. Facing those two guys would be a challenge for most teams.
Most definitely.  Valley wanted the 2 slot, and pitched accordingly, leaving nothing to chance.  Melbourne tipped their hat to Clinton and went for the 3rd spot.  Really good pitching is Yellville's kryptonite.  If we get to play an average team or pitcher, we can score big time.  Pitchers that can throw in the high 80s and that also have a great breaking ball, can really do a number on us.  We will have to play the winner of Piggott/Manila.  The one thing we may have  going for us, is that they aren't playing the championship until Monday.  If any of them have an ace that throws that day more than 85, they can't pitch on Thursday.  But both teams appear to have a lot of good pitching, so that may be a small victory.  :D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas