• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkadelphia Head Coach

Started by scrapman, April 10, 2018, 12:51:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

Quote from: WorkOrder on April 16, 2018, 01:29:34 pm
I doubt it!! Does she work during the summer when these coaches are working 12 to 16 hours a day

I bet she don't. I don't think you realize how much time coaches put in. I'm not saying she doesn't do her job well or anything else. She probably does put in some long hours, but coaches get paid about 2.00 an hour if you average out their pay hourly.

Well considering the coaches have an additional month or more on their contract. They also get paid a stipend, which is not a lot.  She does not get to show up a few days before school starts to get her class ready.  She works the whole entire month prior to school.  These are full days and not paid.  She has to meet with all parents prior to the start of school to cover the child's file(not paid) and then complete all the proper paper work then have it approved by the State.  Any time through the year something changes with the child's folder she has to conduct a meeting with parents and have it approved again with the state.  She always has a few parents wanting changes to their child's IPA several times a year.  She also has several children she request changes to their IPA.  I understand coaches put in a lot of hours, but just know they are not the only ones.  I also know there are teachers that just work the school hours and nothing else.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: Gray lizard on April 16, 2018, 02:08:10 pm
Well considering the coaches have an additional month or more on their contract. They also get paid a stipend, which is not a lot.  She does not get to show up a few days before school starts to get her class ready.  She works the whole entire month prior to school.  These are full days and not paid.  She has to meet with all parents prior to the start of school to cover the child's file(not paid) and then complete all the proper paper work then have it approved by the State.  Any time through the year something changes with the child's folder she has to conduct a meeting with parents and have it approved again with the state.  She always has a few parents wanting changes to their child's IPA several times a year.  She also has several children she request changes to their IPA.  I understand coaches put in a lot of hours, but just know they are not the only ones.  I also know there are teachers that just work the school hours and nothing else.

Awesome. Let's see her do that, Go to JV games out of town on Monday after a 2 hour practice, Practice and Film Review til about 6 Tuesday and Wednesday, Attend Jr High games on Thursday, Teach then drive a bus on friday (with out getting compensated for driving thats a classified job but the coaches are EXPECTED to do it) then breakdown film 8 till whenever on saturday. Oh, Try to raise two kids, teach 4-5 periods of a Core Class a day, make mods for students. Oh and Do that for 12-14 Weeks. Oh and lets see her not get paid to mow the field and the practice field then go home and mow her own. I haven't even got to offseason or balancing a spring sport. 

Nobody freaking cares. Everybody in education is underpaid. If you want to be upset that a guy resurrected a program, won a state title, and is staying after losing a lot of talent to graduation, be upset. But don't complain about a job she willingly signed up to do.

AirWarren

francocat

Awesome. Let's see her do that, Go to JV games out of town on Monday after a 2 hour practice, Practice and Film Review til about 6 Tuesday and Wednesday, Attend Jr High games on Thursday, Teach then drive a bus on friday (with out getting compensated for driving thats a classified job but the coaches are EXPECTED to do it) then breakdown film 8 till whenever on saturday. Oh, Try to raise two kids, teach 4-5 periods of a Core Class a day, make mods for students. Oh and Do that for 12-14 Weeks. Oh and lets see her not get paid to mow the field and the practice field then go home and mow her own. I haven't even got to offseason or balancing a spring sport. 

Nobody freaking cares. Everybody in education is underpaid. If you want to be upset that a guy resurrected a program, won a state title, and is staying after losing a lot of talent to graduation, be upset. But don't complain about a job she willingly signed up to do.

Oh Boo-Hoo, I guess the old ball coach didn't know what he signed up for.

Gray lizard

I don't think you understand Band Hater.  I was just pointing out coaches are not the only ones working uncompensated time in the schools. Even after your long list of what coaches do.  I still bet my wife works close to that same amount of uncompensated time.  I am glad the guy got increased pay.  My wife is enjoying her job.  Matter of fact her building brought in over $35,000 in NAEP funds to her district.  That is if you care to research that. I doubt any of the sports programs bring in close to that amount.

Big Fan

Quote from: WorkOrder on April 16, 2018, 01:29:34 pm
coaches get paid about 2.00 an hour if you average out their pay hourly.
lol...might want to check that math.  What you're saying is....If a coach works 24/7 for a year he'll bring home $17520?  Gotcha....

Jimbo Morphis

I think we should go to Arkadelphia and protest. Who is with me?

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on April 16, 2018, 03:30:49 pm

AirWarren

Protesting is so beautiful and brave.....

Gray lizard

Quote from: Oldman on April 16, 2018, 03:30:49 pm

I am with you. What are we protesting not that it matters.

SUGARTOWN

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Gray lizard on April 16, 2018, 03:58:03 pm
I'm not sure.

Ranger

Quote from: Gray lizard on April 16, 2018, 02:08:10 pm
Everybody thinks they are overworked and underpaid nowadays. The only bad thing about being a coach is if you don't produce in those 2 hours Friday nite you will be looking for a job next year.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Ranger on April 17, 2018, 05:38:43 am
Everybody thinks they are overworked and underpaid nowadays. The only bad thing about being a coach is if you don't produce in those 2 hours Friday nite you will be looking for a job next year.

This is why my goal is to be the head basketball coach for the Hogs.

whippersnapper

I have seen both angles of being a coach and in special education. They are fairly even on the scale of stress level and hours put in to work. And if you ask any coach if they would rather have a team camp all day 2 hours away or spend time all day trying to test a fully non verbal autistic student I promise the choice is easy. Team camp. Now general ed vs a coaches hours/pay is not on the same level but I would say sped and coaching are fairly close.

RZback

So you are saying a teacher on 190 contract can be required to work an extra month, 20 days without pay?  I'm pretty sure the state teaching regs say teachers have to be compensated for required work days above their contract 190 days.

Gray lizard

Quote from: whippersnapper on April 17, 2018, 01:22:56 pm
I have seen both angles of being a coach and in special education. They are fairly even on the scale of stress level and hours put in to work. And if you ask any coach if they would rather have a team camp all day 2 hours away or spend time all day trying to test a fully non verbal autistic student I promise the choice is easy. Team camp. Now general ed vs a coaches hours/pay is not on the same level but I would say sped and coaching are fairly close.
Thank you someone that understands. I forgot to mention the extra testing and phone calls which require setting up a special meeting due she can not talk about a child's situation with out the proper personal attending.

Gray lizard

Quote from: RZback on April 17, 2018, 02:00:11 pm
So you are saying a teacher on 190 contract can be required to work an extra month, 20 days without pay?  I'm pretty sure the state teaching regs say teachers have to be compensated for required work days above their contract 190 days.

Oh they are not required to do it(wink wink), but if they want to do their job correct they do. Like I said before she does not complain she enjoys her job and chose it over more money. Now on the other hand I whine like a baby. ;D

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: Gray lizard on April 16, 2018, 03:58:03 pm
#occupyArky
#metooBadgers
#theytookourjerrrbs
Pick one... and feel free to add your cause to the protest.

Iknewthemwhen

I don't want to disrespect anyone or any educator.  I have great respect for them.  I just don't think you realize how much time the average coach spends working at his job.  I know lots of coaches and is very common to work until 7 oclock on a typical practice day, until 10-12 on a junior high, JV  game night and 12-2-3 on a varsity game.  Many spend all day on Saturday and most of the day on Sunday preparing for the next game, evaluating the previous game and cleaning up after the kids.  This doesn't include being active in the local peewee football program and fundraising, speaking to booster groups, supporting the booster club and studying their craft, meeting with other coaches to continue thier education, camps, clinics and on and on.  I haven't even talked about teaching and taking on the same duties every other classroom teacher does.   

KASH dba The Lumberjack

I don't want to get off a a rant here but Special Ed teacher are normally a cut above regular teacher who just go sit in on a class while some other teacher conducts class on a TV from 5 states away. Every teacher should should take a financial class so in 4-5 years of teaching they know ahead of time that they won't be millionaires.

Gray lizard

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on April 18, 2018, 09:52:12 am
I don't want to disrespect anyone or any educator.  I have great respect for them.  I just don't think you realize how much time the average coach spends working at his job.  I know lots of coaches and is very common to work until 7 oclock on a typical practice day, until 10-12 on a junior high, JV  game night and 12-2-3 on a varsity game.  Many spend all day on Saturday and most of the day on Sunday preparing for the next game, evaluating the previous game and cleaning up after the kids.  This doesn't include being active in the local peewee football program and fundraising, speaking to booster groups, supporting the booster club and studying their craft, meeting with other coaches to continue thier education, camps, clinics and on and on.  I haven't even talked about teaching and taking on the same duties every other classroom teacher does.
You are right some coaches do dedicate their life to coaching.  I have coached several youth teams(not a job).  But I can tell you if I could I would walk away from my current job and I make a good living.  I would do it today if I could coach. The pay would not matter.  I would find a way to adjust my life style to make it work.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on April 18, 2018, 09:58:21 am
I don't want to get off a a rant here but Special Ed teacher are normally a cut above regular teacher who just go sit in on a class while some other teacher conducts class on a TV from 5 states away. Every teacher should should take a financial class so in 4-5 years of teaching they know ahead of time that they won't be millionaires.

Most teachers do not just go sit in on a class while the class is instructed by a teacher on a monitor.  And while I agree special ed teachers are usually very good and dedicated, I've seen some not so good ones of those as well. 

beach bum

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on April 18, 2018, 09:52:12 am

I love sports as much as anyone.... But let's be real. There is a difference in the importance of teaching someone how to throw a football and teaching them science or math. What percentage of these kids playing small town football in Arkansas go on to make money playing the sport? We all know the answer to that question and its insanely little. Many, many more kids from this state will go onto make differences with their job in a technology based field in which their education all started in a classroom somewhere. Yes, coaches with the same tenure as a teacher deserve more than the teacher. But, lets's be real..... 20-25K more is absolutely absurd.

beach bum

My statement above is why when I see a coach also teaching a core subject like science, math, or an English class I have the highest respect for them. It's not like PE or Health where they almost get a mental break from lesson planning and 3 or 4 straight classes of teaching non stop plus extra grading when they get home. People can make fun of the coach/PE teacher stereotype all they want, but there is a reason they teach those two classes most of the time. It's the hours they put in coaching also. Throw in a coach that teaches for instance in 10th grade science. That coach is absolutely maxed out when it comes to hours they are putting in between teaching and coaching. That is an instance I can see their pay being much higher.

Iknewthemwhen

So you don't think coaches should be paid a reasonable wage for the hours they spend?  I see where coaches claim not to make $2-3 an hour for time spent. What happened to minimum wage?

OB11

April 18, 2018, 01:54:37 pm #76 Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:56:22 pm by OB11
Quote from: beach bum on April 18, 2018, 01:46:48 pm
I love sports as much as anyone.... But let's be real. There is a difference in the importance of teaching someone how to throw a football and teaching them science or math. What percentage of these kids playing small town football in Arkansas go on to make money playing the sport? We all know the answer to that question and its insanely little. Many, many more kids from this state will go onto make differences with their job in a technology based field in which their education all started in a classroom somewhere. Yes, coaches with the same tenure as a teacher deserve more than the teacher. But, lets's be real..... 20-25K more is absolutely absurd.

I absolutely get what you're saying. But think about it this way...if someone says the name of any school in the state the first thing you think about is their athletic program...usually football. For many people that aren't associated with a school, the head football coach is the face of a school. They are seen the most and known by the most people. You want someone that not only wins, but is a positive influence on the community and makes people think of your school in a positive way. As with most things, you get what you pay for. If you want to keep a great coach, you find a way to pay him more money.

This is in no way a knock on regular classroom teachers. Teachers as a whole are grossly underpaid and under appreciated. But most schools would rather let a great classroom teacher walk than a great football coach who helps bring the school notoriety in a positive way. 

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: OB11 on April 18, 2018, 01:54:37 pm
I absolutely get what you're saying. But think about it this way...if someone says the name of any school in the state the first thing you think about is their athletic program...usually football. For many people that aren't associated with a school, the head football coach is the face of a school. They are seen the most and known by the most people. You want someone that not only wins, but is a positive influence on the community and makes people think of your school in a positive way. As with most things, you get what you pay for. If you want to keep a great coach, you find a way to pay him more money.

I'm not saying I don't agree, but your argument will not win over very many.  Coaches, all of them but particularly assistants spend a lot of time for little money in terms of hourly pay.  Coaches don't get tips so I'm shooting for at least minimum wage as an argument. Head coaches who make in the 70's and 80's in a state like Arkansas get them well up above most others faculty. All that notoriety doesn't really support the pay in my mind, the responsibility and the time is a better reason in my mind.

This is in no way a knock on regular classroom teachers. Teachers as a whole are grossly underpaid and under appreciated. But most schools will let a great classroom teacher walk than a great football coach who helps bring the school notoriety in a positive way. 

OB11

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on April 18, 2018, 01:59:47 pm
I'm not saying I don't agree, but your argument will not win over very many.  Coaches, all of them but particularly assistants spend a lot of time for little money in terms of hourly pay.  Coaches don't get tips so I'm shooting for at least minimum wage as an argument. Head coaches who make in the 70's and 80's in a state like Arkansas get them well up above most others faculty. All that notoriety doesn't really support the pay in my mind, the responsibility and the time is a better reason in my mind.

This is in no way a knock on regular classroom teachers. Teachers as a whole are grossly underpaid and under appreciated. But most schools will let a great classroom teacher walk than a great football coach who helps bring the school notoriety in a positive way.

I'm totally on board with you there. The assistants are the ones that put in a lot of the work, get no attention and less pay than the head coach.

Iknewthemwhen

I'd bet the overwhelming majority of coaches do it for the love of the game.  The money is some compensation but they could make more in another field.  In fact I know coaches who stopped coaching and started driving a school bus for the extra money because it helped make ends meet.

Big Fan

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on April 18, 2018, 01:54:25 pm
So you don't think coaches should be paid a reasonable wage for the hours they spend?  I see where coaches claim not to make $2-3 an hour for time spent. What happened to minimum wage?
Do the math....you'll see how unreasonable that statement is.

Iknewthemwhen

mossflyer

If they were working 48 hours per day, it would be reasonable.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Sports trump academics. No teacher is getting $6.00 a head from each parent to watch their child in Quiz Bowl. There's more money in sports, so coaches are going to get paid more. This isn't any slight to any teacher, it's just the almighty Dollar. School boards, superintendents, heck even mayors love to brag on their affiliated teams. So coaches that win get paid the dollars it takes to keep them there or to get them there.

AT

A few things from an educator who has volunteered to coach.

1. Coaches put in long, long hours, during season mainly.

2. Whenever it's not in season or "critical offseason" (summer football for instance), that time is about the same as any other teacher.

3. A coach can have cake as a schedule. 1st period: Health, 2nd Period: Drivers ED, 3rd Period: Health, 4th Period: PREP (They are required to have one of these still unless they waive it fore more pay), LUNCH, 5th-7th PERIOD: Athletics

Compare that to the teacher who does:

1st Period: Calculus
2nd Period: Pre-Calculus
3rd Period: Algebra II
4th Period: Algebra II
LUNCH
5th Period: Pre-Calculus
6th Period: Algebra II
7th Period: Prep

I make those 3 points to say I don't blame the Arkadelphia teachers at all in this situation, but I still wouldn't join them. I think I make enough money for my job and I'm also pretty laid back.

AT

Also, from my experience, those coaching stipends are easily changed. There are probably restrictions on them, but they seem to change on a whim, so I'm not sure what they are.

I think coaches are paid enough for the most part.

Jsmith48

The problem wasn't the change in pay but the fact that the school board acted without notifying the PPC. They called an emergency meeting in the middle of the day when no one else could be there and then only addressed three coaches. They created inequities all along the stipend schedule for everyone who coaches or sponsors a group or club. Most if not all teachers in the district support the coaches getting paid for the work they do in the summer, if anything it's a legal issue for the district to require someone to be responsible for students without being compensated. It could now be a title 9 issue because only one boys sport was affected. As far as the booster club giving any money there is no proof of that but according to the Arkansas Code of Ethics for Teachers, Standard 5, it's not permitted.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 18, 2018, 09:53:55 pm
Also, from my experience, those coaching stipends are easily changed. There are probably restrictions on them, but they seem to change on a whim, so I'm not sure what they are.

I think coaches are paid enough for the most part.
Sooo from your experience you don't know?

purpleswag

Quote from: beach bum on April 18, 2018, 01:46:48 pm

If you think that is all they are teaching, you have no clue. I'm sure that everyone will agree that their lives were made much better by knowing what osmosis is  ::)

AirWarren

April 19, 2018, 08:37:22 am #89 Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:39:07 am by AirWarren
This thread is making me understand why Arkansas has maybe 10-15 consistently dominant football programs and according to our state annual report card for schools, 566 schools that got grades of C's, D's and F's. Out of 1050 schools.

Kudos.

Pat Swilling

I don't know why so many people are upset with the Arkadelphia situation?  There are a lot of High School Coaches in NW Arkansas that make much more than Arkadelphia HFC.  I don't hear everybody crying about the $ Greenwood pays Rick Jones.  When B-Ville was paying over $100K to B. Lunney it was ok.  Conway, Cabot, Bryant, etc jobs pay well also.  Should we complain about that also?  Just not sure why Arkadelphia isn't allowed to pay there HC well also?

XFalkonz

I teach 4 AP history classes per day. I coach 7-12 football and softball. I make $2500 TOTAL in stipends. I work 20 plus days in the summer UNPAID. I have a 213 contract. I work seven days a week during football season with a average of 12 per day ( excluding weekends...but I work at least 12 hours per weekend). I grade essays, prepare lectures, and then go to a field house and help conduct practice and weight lifting until 7 every night. I then get to grade homework and essays for about 2 hours a night. I have been doing this for 19 years and I make $53K. I am not telling private business because all one has to do is get on their school website and you can find out what every teacher/admin/ janitor makes who works for a school according to state law. I say all of this to say I knew what I was getting in to when I did it. But what gets my goat is when people get mad because a coach uses whatever leverage they have to make their family better off because others didn't get to do it. My wife taught SPED for years AND coached. Now she teaches drama and art and doesn't coach and makes as much as she did before. The days of coaches having four PE/Health classes are quickly going away. School districts are wanting coaches who can teach and coach because usually the classroom management is better and amazingly coaches can get certain things across to kids that others might not be able to do. Don't be mad that a coach figured out how to be able to secure a little financial security for HIS family. Be glad that someone was able to get a little better off

AirWarren

April 19, 2018, 08:51:24 am #92 Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:58:35 am by AirWarren
Quote from: Pat Swilling on April 19, 2018, 08:44:05 am
I don't know why so many people are upset with the Arkadelphia situation?  There are a lot of High School Coaches in NW Arkansas that make much more than Arkadelphia HFC.  I don't hear everybody crying about the $ Greenwood pays Rick Jones.  When B-Ville was paying over $100K to B. Lunney it was ok.  Conway, Cabot, Bryant, etc jobs pay well also.  Should we complain about that also?  Just not sure why Arkadelphia isn't allowed to pay there HC well also?
It's the society we live in. If it ain't fair, then I'm going to cause a ruckus.

I work beside surgeons and doctors who make 500k$ and above. That's life. Some are haves. Some are have nots. Get over yourself and quit your bit*****.

If you want to teach. Be prepared to live penny to penny with the headaches.
If you want to coach. Be prepared to do all the crap that comes with it.

All of you educators can enjoy your summers off, spring break off, thanksgiving off, Christmas off and every other holiday off. With my job, I'll be working. And as a new pup in my profession....I was working nights....Christmas Eve. Christmas Day. Thanksgiving day. Day after. New Years. Kids birthday. Kids first school play. All of them. See how this works? Life ain't fair. Suck it up America. I knew what I was getting into. But I wanted to leave straight from college and know I was about to make GOOD MONEY and work shift work with some days off. It's called choices. No one is getting a violin chorus from me. People gotta go WORK.

AirWarren

Why are so many people complaining about WORK. That's how you live.

Big Fan

Str8thug

I heard some of the badgers football funds are being sent to the student from warren who helped them win the Championship! ;D

purpleswag

Quote from: Str8thug on April 19, 2018, 09:29:04 am
I heard some of the badgers football funds are being sent to the student from warren who helped them win the Championship! ;D

If Warren would have taken care of business the kid on the field wouldn't have mattered

AirWarren

Quote from: purpleswag on April 19, 2018, 10:09:01 am
If Warren would have taken care of business the kid on the field wouldn't have mattered

Best thing said in this thread.

AT

Quote from: Oldman on April 19, 2018, 06:17:42 am
Sooo from your experience you don't know?

Ha, fair. I guess you could say that. I would say it seems that coaching stipends are just up to whatever the school board wants them to be.

AT

Quote from: XFalkonz on April 19, 2018, 08:48:56 am
I teach 4 AP history classes per day. I coach 7-12 football and softball. I make $2500 TOTAL in stipends. I work 20 plus days in the summer UNPAID. I have a 213 contract. I work seven days a week during football season with a average of 12 per day ( excluding weekends...but I work at least 12 hours per weekend). I grade essays, prepare lectures, and then go to a field house and help conduct practice and weight lifting until 7 every night. I then get to grade homework and essays for about 2 hours a night. I have been doing this for 19 years and I make $53K. I am not telling private business because all one has to do is get on their school website and you can find out what every teacher/admin/ janitor makes who works for a school according to state law. I say all of this to say I knew what I was getting in to when I did it. But what gets my goat is when people get mad because a coach uses whatever leverage they have to make their family better off because others didn't get to do it. My wife taught SPED for years AND coached. Now she teaches drama and art and doesn't coach and makes as much as she did before. The days of coaches having four PE/Health classes are quickly going away. School districts are wanting coaches who can teach and coach because usually the classroom management is better and amazingly coaches can get certain things across to kids that others might not be able to do. Don't be mad that a coach figured out how to be able to secure a little financial security for HIS family. Be glad that someone was able to get a little better off

Great!

Hmm, I'm mainly talking football here, and I don't see football coaches in the majority teaching the class load you teach.

Do you think that if Arkadelphia teachers are protesting this, they are in the wrong? Aren't they just using their own leverage to make the situation better for themselves?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas