• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greenwood vs. Alma History

Started by AT, March 29, 2018, 04:42:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

I'd like to think this one isn't over, but just in case it is...what are some of your favorite memories from this rivalry?

Or maybe not good if you are a new Alma fan.

One that always sticks out to me was when Burke Broadfoot, Alma quarterback, collapsed on the ground last play of the first half. I believe Alma was leading.

Turns out he tore every ligament in his knee and Alma brought in their backup (who actually did a fine job). Alma lost and the losing streak continued. That image and the fact that we lost to Greenwood my senior year again stung.

A better memory would be the last victory, which was a great game, in 2004.

The Future

March 29, 2018, 10:03:57 pm #1 Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:06:07 pm by The Future
I remember the 02 and 03 games. Close ones. Greenwood lost by a TD and then got revenge the following year in a very defensive 3-0 win.

Then the 04 game. I remember that one well. The atmosphere was incredible.
The one thing I remember after the game. The Alma qb snapped the ball for the last time and held the ball up in the air in victory. The thought of that being the last time an Alma QB would take a knee in victory formation over Greenwood was nowhere to be found.

The 08 game was awesome as well. We held the Alma offense that scored 36 points (the most of any Alma team in the Jones era) out of the end zone from within the red zone what seemed like a dozen times. Every snap it seemed would end the streak yet the Greenwood defense stepped up each time.

The 09 and 11 games had a lot of similarities. Very back and forth and very close. They were also the last two games that were close the whole game.
This past years game was very entertaining the first half

While I'm sad to see this great rivalry end for the time being, it could be a good thing. Taking maybe a few cycles off and then one day one team is bumped up or down back to the same conference. The kids who will be in high school at that time would have been middle school or younger when the rivalry ended. They've heard the stories. They know about the streak. Greenwood kids will want to keep it intact. Alma kids will wanna break it into pieces. All the adults who know about and remember the rivalry will flock to the stadium to see it return. Kinda like watching a great movie and then years later being stoked when the sequel comes out.

Road_Dogg

The game was a lot better in the late mid 90s and early 2000s. I can remember the 1998 game where greenwood was up 21-7 at half only to lose on a 2pt conversion 29-28. I also can remember Josh Bell dropping an interception on a 3rd down and long for Alma. Only to take the ensuing punt for a td in 2000.

nsuqb10

Can alma even compete with Greenwood I haven't kept up recently

RD™

1996 Week 10 for the 3A West Championship
Greenwood and Alma faced off twice that year, once in non-conference the other in the Week 10 (i.e. November Classic)--credit me for naming the Rivalry ;)

There wasn't a bigger game in the state of Arkansas that week. When the Greenwood buses pulled up to Airedale Stadium the Alma student section was burning an effigy of the infamous National Record Holder WR from Greenwood Kris Weible.

It was an intense game. Lot of back and forth and lot of cheap shots on both sides. In the end James "Shady" Grady sailed through the Field Goal that would beat Alma known as the "kick heard around the world" it was dead silent when that kick happened.

It's a shame those two teams didn't meet for the State Championship. Although there is no doubt, neither team had a chance against Watson Chapel and that RB (can't remember his name)

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 29, 2018, 04:42:43 pm
I'd like to think this one isn't over,
I hope it isn't over either.  Too much history.

tomdawg55

Me and. The family moved to greenwood the year before he 1999 game
Knew of the  rivalry but once you attended a game in any sport you got it hate to see it end

dogbreath

Quote from: RD™ on April 21, 2018, 07:58:25 pm
1996 Week 10 for the 3A West Championship
Greenwood and Alma faced off twice that year, once in non-conference the other in the Week 10 (i.e. November Classic)--credit me for naming the Rivalry ;)

There wasn't a bigger game in the state of Arkansas that week. When the Greenwood buses pulled up to Airedale Stadium the Alma student section was burning an effigy of the infamous National Record Holder WR from Greenwood Kris Weible.

It was an intense game. Lot of back and forth and lot of cheap shots on both sides. In the end James "Shady" Grady sailed through the Field Goal that would beat Alma known as the "kick heard around the world" it was dead silent when that kick happened.

It's a shame those two teams didn't meet for the State Championship. Although there is no doubt, neither team had a chance against Watson Chapel and that RB (can't remember his name)

Ron Johnson, maybe?

Almahasbeen

I don't remember the year, but it was Alma at Greenwood and the final score was 3-0 haha, my dad was a police officer in Greenwood so we were on the Greenwood side and man I thought no one was ever gonna score! I miss the early 2000's games. Josh Bell, wow, I thought I was the only one who remembered that man! One of the best athletes my eyes have ever seen.

bulldogger15

Quote from: nsuqb10 on April 11, 2018, 04:56:44 pm
Can alma even compete with Greenwood I haven't kept up recently
Alma can't carry Greenwood's jockstrap!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Road_Dogg

Pretty stupid on alma to cancel the series starting this year. They may have beaten them this year.

hogsanddogs

Alma absolutely has a chance to beat them the next couple of years. Should of waited a little longer!

Lumberjackfan1978

Greenwood may be down this year I think

RD™

September 04, 2018, 09:59:26 am #13 Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:12:08 am by RD™
Make no bones about it this is not a typical dominating Greenwood team.

However, with that said.

Go back to sleep Alma you're dreaming.

Rick Jones is Alma's Daddy.

Forced Vines into retirement. Got Dilbeck Fired. Warmed the hotseat for Loughridge

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas