• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brookland HS

Started by J12, March 03, 2018, 04:48:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

J12

Didn't want this to get lost in a thread, & it pains me some to admit this as a Westside fan,  BUT what a first class tournament they've (re) ran this week. From a great venue for basketball, to electronics on the boards, all the way to letting fans who showed up at 9:30 watch ESPN Gameday on the video screen this morning.

Wanted it to be noted that I had this to say 🙂.

Bbal789

Its been A+ for sure. They had the place more than ready and they managed the standing room only crowd really well

LRRandy

Quote from: J12 on March 03, 2018, 04:48:04 pm
Didn't want this to get lost in a thread, & it pains me some to admit this as a Westside fan,  BUT what a first class tournament they've (re) ran this week. From a great venue for basketball, to electronics on the boards, all the way to letting fans who showed up at 9:30 watch ESPN Gameday on the video screen this morning.

it sure is a lot nicer when you walk out with a W in your pocket. 😀
I have had a bad attitude about a State tournament being held in a venue so far away from much of the state. Think of Ashdowns fans going corner to corner. I personally have been unable to attend any of the game because of how far away it is. I think it fortunate for the AAA that two local teams competed til the end. I'm wondering how attendance for the non Westside and Batesville SS games were. The pictures that I have seen have shown mostly empty seats. I think a better effort should be made to have the State tournament more central. At least on the I-40 corridor. Just my opinion. Although I'm sure there are many basketball fans across the state that even though they wouldn't have a dog in the hunt would go see the state tournament if it was easier to get to.

J12

I figured there would be one who would find a way to complain.

LRRandy

Quote from: J12 on March 03, 2018, 06:19:27 pm
I figured there would be one who would find a way to complain.
I think it's a legitimate point. Regional tournaments I get. Have them in the region. This is a State tournament sequestered in a far corner of the state.

Missco

Arkansas is one of the few states that don't have state tournaments in a central location.

J12

Quote from: LRRandy on March 03, 2018, 06:23:39 pm
I think it's a legitimate point. Regional tournaments I get. Have them in the region. This is a State tournament sequestered in a far corner of the state.

Sorry? Probably should write or email your local rep.

Warrior91

Randy, In my opinion you don't have a legitimate complaint.  In the 5 years that I have been involved in 4a basketball, the state tournament has been held in Central Arkansas 2 of those 5 years. 
2014- Lonoke
2015- Ozark
2016- Malvern
2017- Nashville
2018- Brookland
I don't remember anyone complaining when Westside and Brookland were making those 5 hour bus trips to get to Ozark and Nashville. 

J12

I get that some things are beyond control, work and so forth, but if you want to truly make a game, you'll find a way.  If not you'll be a Randy and make an excuse.

Livewire

Hey, even the parking has been good. Plenty of flaggers wearing traffic vest and lighted pointers to easily direct you were you needed to go. First class top to bottom.

Gray lizard

I thought Brookland did a nice job hosting the State.
Yes I  would like to see a more central location, but none won the bid.
I would rather see a score board center cort than the media screen.
I  would also like to have not eaten that hamburger.
Refs were much better than the North region.
Congratulations to the teams moving on.

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: J12 on March 03, 2018, 04:48:04 pm

You know it had to be a top notch tournament if you complimented Brookland 😂

J12

Exactly haha.  But give credit where it's due. They had the place in great form and all of people working it did great.

LRRandy

Quote from: J12 on March 03, 2018, 06:56:01 pm
I get that some things are beyond control, work and so forth, but if you want to truly make a game, you'll find a way.  If not you'll be a Randy and make an excuse.
excuse? For what? I stated my belief that tucking the state tournament away in a corner of the state was wrong. I made no excuse for anything.

Bbal789

Quote from: LRRandy on March 03, 2018, 09:18:28 pm
excuse? For what? I stated my belief that tucking the state tournament away in a corner of the state was wrong. I made no excuse for anything.

It is what it is but I get your point it is in a very inconvenient location

bbfan89

Why should teams from central Arkansas get an advantage every year? If a school has the facility, staff, and most importantly, the  hospitality needed to host then so be it. By the way, the moment of the tournament was the little girl who brought everyone to their feet with her wonderful rendition of the national anthem Saturday. Great tournament!

Bbal789

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 03, 2018, 09:34:30 pm
Why should teams from central Arkansas get an advantage every year? If a school has the facility, staff, and most importantly, the  hospitality needed to host then so be it. By the way, the moment of the tournament was the little girl who brought everyone to their feet with her wonderful rendition of the national anthem Saturday. Great tournament!
[/quote

Oh yes she was amazing!

John M.

A thousand likes if I could. .I went to this tournament because I love high school basketball and this was the only state tournament close to my backyard.

RedWolf275

+1

1-Adam-12

Obviously we were there only the one day, but everything was run so well. 

I will hold this tournament up as how a state tournament in any sport should be run. 

And the arena is excellent.

Pat yourself on the back Brookland School District.  You deserve it.

StevenGlen

Let me add my high 5 to everyone at the Brookland schools for a fantastic tournament. I broadcast the Pottsville games and very much enjoyed my time at this year's event. Brookland's transportation director went out of the way to help our girls team. The Lady Apache team bus developed an issue that would have made it unsafe to drive home. Brookland's transportation director loaned Pottsville a bus to get the team home safely. Brookland's crew was able to repair the problem the next day.

The hospitality room that Brookland provided for those of us working the event may have been the best I've ever eaten at on any campus.  Not only was the food fantastic, but the ladies working the room with refills, and garbing things for us were outstanding.  The BBQ ribs they had one tournament night was as good as any I've had anywhere. The information given to me was that the football coaches may have prepared them.  On the final day of the event, on a recommendation, I tried one of the fried bologna sandwiches available in the concession stand, and enjoyed every bite. 

A tip of my Apache Cap, and a giant thank you and good job to everyone in Bearcat country that made the event special.

NEA Razorback olfan

Thanks everyone for such kind comments!!!
We enjoyed meeting so many wonderful families and teams!!
I watched some great games!! So much talent!!
Congrats to all the teams that made it to State at Brookland!!
Every team I got to see play definitely competed hard and their fans where extremely nice!!! Being in NEA we don't get to see the talent in othe parts of Arkansas!!! I hear about these teams from here on Fearless Friday ,but I really enjoyed watching these talented teams play!!
Best of luck to the teams that are playing for the Championship!!

eagle1

I wasn't able to make it to Brookland but have heard a lot of great comments about the tournament. I was looking forward to seeing the new arena but had to be out of town. I hear they did a great job all around, from hospitality, having game day on the big screen with the early opening of the gates, administration of the tournament and the great facility. I will attend state tournaments regardless of location but do believe that having in the central part of the state would benefit more than hurt. It would be an advantage to the Central Ark teams but would eliminate teams having to travel from one corner of the state to the other. That point should take nothing away from the fine people at Brookland that did an outstanding job last week.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas