• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vilonia HFC

Started by Pat Swilling, November 29, 2017, 08:47:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Swilling

RG44

InYoGrill

We are like the U of A's situation. Nothing to talk about yet. We do have a young promising AD though.  ;)

francocat

I keep hearing that it will be one of the Conway assistants & won't be announced until January.

RG44

Go Postal

I hear pantherblue is wanting to take a wage cut for tax purposes...

InYoGrill

Quote from: Go Postal on December 05, 2017, 01:47:30 pm
I hear pantherblue is wanting to take a wage cut for tax purposes...

LOL! Funny Postal.

Pat Swilling

Vilonia have any recent Sub Varsity success?

youhavenoidea

Heard they were close on interviews, maybe new Coach in January? Anyone else hear anything?

Chief_Osceola™

I've heard some interesting names, but am not at liberty to say.  Maybe when the dust settles...

youhavenoidea

Just stir that dust up...lol

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: youhavenoidea on December 15, 2017, 10:30:00 am
Just stir that dust up...lol

I really have; I just don't want to burn my sources. I will say one candidate currently coaches in Little Rock.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on December 15, 2017, 08:58:07 pm
I really have; I just don't want to burn my sources. I will say one candidate currently coaches in Little Rock.
Huh, wonder if he would choose Vilonia or Monticello?

the phantom

What about Coach McBride at Barton.   He has coached under some top guys and is probably one of the best in the state.   I believe he might could be lured away with the right program.   Could it be Vilonia?   I wish the best for him.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Oldman on December 16, 2017, 07:32:28 am
Huh, wonder if he would choose Vilonia or Monticello?

Good question, I'm not sure. That was the one that kind of jumped out though, kind of surprised me. A couple other interesting names in the mix too.

youhavenoidea

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on December 15, 2017, 08:58:07 pm
Understand that, seems like it should be a job that would draw some interesting applicants. 

jacketracket

I heard one coach that is a front runner.  He's a Conway native, UCA Alum, he is the Head Coach at Parkview, but when it comes to salary he may back out!!!  I heard that is why 4 coaches turned down the job last time, so Vilonia might be looking at a promising assistant coach from Conway.  The AD came from Conway, and he knows everyone of those staff very well. 

Mancho Hogo

What about an assistant from Alma?  Have heard his name thrown around. 

jacketracket

Only problem with trying to get coaches from the West from Alma on up to Bentonville area....I was told by a good friend if you want a coach out of the West you better bring your pocket book!!!! I am not sure Vilonia can, or is willing to spend the money it takes to get a top notch coach from the West?

OlGuyWicker

Quote from: jacketracket on December 19, 2017, 08:30:26 am
I heard one coach that is a front runner.  He's a Conway native, UCA Alum, he is the Head Coach at Parkview, but when it comes to salary he may back out!!!  I heard that is why 4 coaches turned down the job last time, so Vilonia might be looking at a promising assistant coach from Conway.  The AD came from Conway, and he knows everyone of those staff very well. 
Way to much baggage.  Would be a big mistake

sevenof400

Quote from: youhavenoidea on December 19, 2017, 07:54:25 am
Understand that, seems like it should be a job that would draw some interesting applicants.

Why do you say this?
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing here, just curious as to how you came to this conclusion.

jacketracket

I heard the UCA Alum, Conway native, and coach at Parkview backed out.  I also heard the Conway Ast. Coach maybe backing.  Don't know of any front runners.  I have heard they have about 50 applicants, and that he won't be looking to hire until late January.  One thing I do know the longer you wait, the longer it take you to find a good football coach.  They can't have their names on applications too long, and some back out like what you already see.  If it takes you longer than 3-weeks to hire a coach, your taking way too long in my opinion. Bryant hired their coach in 2-weeks or less, but that AD was a former football coach. You would think if your an AD that you keep up with promising coaches throughout the year.  I think the Vilonia job has been open 6-weeks or longer, and from what I hear they haven't even started the process yet. 

ricefarmer

jacketracket

I heard one of the coaches they are looking at from Germantown, TN who is a head coach played for the current AD at Vilonia so you got to assume this job will probably be his job to lose.  I just wander if the other coach interviewing are wasting their time, or do they have a chance at the head job?  I think they have a search committee so maybe this will be a collective group decision!!!!

WTD

Did the other post about this get deleted?

jacketracket

I guess it did!!!  I think they only want you to post fake news on this website????  So I am not posting any names, so it won't get taken down.  They make take this post down, and if they do I apologize for giving some insight!!!

incogneto

What is a crying shame is Vilonia could be whatever a coach wanted to make of it.  There are some tough hard nosed kids that play there.  There is no reason they cannot be Greenwood type school. 

Pat Swilling

not sure if being next GW is possible.  Football at GW is King.  Not sure if Vilonia will emphasize FB over other sports.

youhavenoidea

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 22, 2017, 09:05:26 am
Why do you say this?
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing here, just curious as to how you came to this conclusion.
Central Arkansas area, seems to be a good area, pay should be pretty good(I would think), 5A West is winnable conference, facilities pretty descent, seems like they are hungry to win, willing to make the changes needed...I could probably say some others, but just kind of feel it could be a good job

WTD

Quote from: youhavenoidea on January 10, 2018, 09:34:45 am
Central Arkansas area, seems to be a good area, pay should be pretty good(I would think), 5A West is winnable conference, facilities pretty descent, seems like they are hungry to win, willing to make the changes needed...I could probably say some others, but just kind of feel it could be a good job

I don't think the pay is comparable to the other schools that compete year in and year out in the 5A West. I believe Young made in the high 70's, go look and see what Alma's, Harrison's, and Greenbrier's HC's make. I believe that's where they lost some coaches a few years ago. Pay would definitely be better for a coach moving from 3A or an assistant. They better make a good decision, Vilonia could possibly move to the Central in 2020.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: WTD on January 10, 2018, 10:20:02 am
I don't think the pay is comparable to the other schools that compete year in and year out in the 5A West. I believe Young made in the high 70's, go look and see what Alma's, Harrison's, and Greenbrier's HC's make. I believe that's where they lost some coaches a few years ago. Pay would definitely be better for a coach moving from 3A or an assistant. They better make a good decision, Vilonia could possibly move to the Central in 2020.

Just a guess or have you heard rumblings of this happening?

WTD

Just a guess, with Greenwood possibly moving down they would have to be in the West. Also Fair and McClellan consolidating in 2020, I believe that opens up a spot in the Central. Just looking ahead to what might happen.

jacketracket

Last interview is Friday.  I won't tell you what coach, because it will upset someone.  I will just say he's closer to Fayetteville than any other applicants that were being interviewed.  One coach they interviewed I heard won't move to Vilonia if he were to be named the head coach.  I don't know how the administration or town feel about having a coach who doesn't live there?  I think he will hire his former player, since they already have a relationship.   

nomorewhining

Lots of teachers and coaches in vilonia live in Conway or Cabot. It is a non issue

WTD

Quote from: jacketracket on January 11, 2018, 08:17:47 am
Last interview is Friday.  I won't tell you what coach, because it will upset someone.  I will just say he's closer to Fayetteville than any other applicants that were being interviewed.  One coach they interviewed I heard won't move to Vilonia if he were to be named the head coach.  I don't know how the administration or town feel about having a coach who doesn't live there?  I think he will hire his former player, since they already have a relationship.

There could be reasons behind that. He could have possibly just bought a house and is not able to sell at the time or not financially able to move.

Vtown04

As long as he is willing to place his kids (if any) in the district, use in district gas, grocery, service businesses then I don't think it is a big deal if his address is 10 miles out of the school district (just guessing).

purpleswag

Quote from: jacketracket on January 11, 2018, 08:17:47 am

If he wins I'm sure they wouldn't care if he drove from Texarkana every day.

WTD

Quote from: Vtown04 on January 11, 2018, 12:47:32 pm
As long as he is willing to place his kids (if any) in the district, use in district gas, grocery, service businesses then I don't think it is a big deal if his address is 10 miles out of the school district (just guessing).

??? Is Vilonia that hard up for residents? You must buy groceries and gas in Vilonia?

Vtown04

No, but in a town that only supports one school/football program it is important that the head coach of that program supports the community that is supporting his program (fundraisers/donations/etc).  It may be different in larger cities that have more than one football program but in a smaller community those relationships are important.  But none of it matters if Purpleswags comment doesn't happen.

Arkansasprofit

I just hope they get a coach that keeps them competitive again!!!!  I haven't been to a high school game in Vilonia in 2yrs!!!!  I don't think you have to live in the district to coach in a town anymore.  Especially since your wife may have a job away from the town you coach, so you have to consider that when buying a house.  Does anyone know the timeframe the AD is looking to hire?  It would be nice if we got a new coach in time for Spring Football!!!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: WTD on January 11, 2018, 01:12:45 pm
??? Is Vilonia that hard up for residents? You must buy groceries and gas in Vilonia?
I'm betting you don't own a business.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Oldman on January 13, 2018, 12:53:46 pm
I'm betting you don't own a business.

Hard to be profitable in V if you own a business. Visit Harp's in V and the prices are very noticeably higher as well as the gas than say at Conway. Other than Dollar General, Kieths Service Center, El Rancho, Sonic, MC-D's, a couple banks, and maybe a couple health services, I don't see many more just doing really good year to year. I pass by  empty parking lots almost every day in town.

sevenof400

To add to Grill's point, throw Fred's in there as well plus a Subway, a T-Shirt shop and a drug store and that's about it for the retail presence in Vilonia.  What the town has not done well is adjust to the presence of the bypass.  From a safety standpoint, the bypass was very needed as the route for US-64 ran immediately in front of the current Freshman Academy and High School.  Big trucks use US-64 a lot and moving that traffic away from the school zone was a definite correct step.

What hasn't happened since then is business adjusting to the bypass.  You still see very little presence of billboards advertising Vilonia on the bypass but as Grill notes, there still are not many businesses to draw people to Vilonia.  I'm surprised some businesses have not tried to move to the 107/64 intersection (or somewhere near that).

Jimbo Morphis

My point was about a coach living out of town and doing all his business out of town. I am asked to donate to local causes almost daily. If you do business out of town I'm not very likely to donate to your cause.

jacketracket

Head coach should be approved pretty soon. I'll just say he's familiar with the conference!!!

InYoGrill

This just came off FB from friends of mine tied very closely to the program.

BREAKING: Chris Gunter has been hired as the next head football coach at Vilonia High School. Gunter was formerly the OC at Alma High. The following is information about Gunter that was extracted from the article announcing his previous hiring at Greene County Tech:
"Chris Gunter's path to Greene County Tech began at Beebe High School in Beebe, Arkansas. He played Wide receiver and Defensive Back while earning All-State as a member of the Badger football team. He graduated from Beebe High School in the spring of 2003 and began his collegiate football career at Arkansas Tech University that fall. Chris played Wide Receiver for 5 years for the Wonderboys under Head Coach Steve Mullins until he graduated in the fall of 2007.
After his playing career was exhausted he spent a year coaching Cornerbacks at his Alma Mater. In March of 2009 Gunter accepted a coaching position on Todd Graham's staff at the University of Tulsa in Tulsa, OK. While with the Golden Hurricanes, Chris had the opportunity to coach 3 Freshman All-Americans, including Charles Clay from Little Rock Central High School.
Gunter accepted Head Coach Jeff Conaway's offer to jump from the college ranks to high school in March of 2010 and will serve as Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator while also coaching the Golden Eagles Wide Receivers and Defensive Backs.

doggieskoot2

Has Gunter been a head coach before?

Interesting hire.

InYoGrill

Quote from: doggieskoot2 on January 16, 2018, 10:01:37 am
Has Gunter been a head coach before?

Interesting hire.

It is a bit interesting. I don't think he has been a head coach but he does have solid asst experience. The time he spent at Tulsa had to be great for him. So he has experienced a struggling program like GCT and then a constant winner in Alma. I have faith in your young new AD so I am ready to see how the Eagles respond to him this Spring. Maybe a younger highly enthusiastic coach will ignite the fan base and program.

AT

Vilonia, IYG, seven, you guys made a great hire. I think most Alma fans will come on here and completely endorse this, not because we want to lose him (exact opposite in fact), but because we know how good this guy is.

Our offense has been great since he took over. Remember McClellan's defense this year? Alma scored 52 on those guys. Remember Greenwood's? Alma scored 28, the most of any team this year.

That's all just recent, but he's had tons of success.

Some great things about Gunter's schemes:

Multi-scheme. Coach Gunter will have about every possible offensive set you could possibly think of.

Trick plays. This might seem gimmicky, but many teams that play Alma can tell you that we have run and executed some of the best trick plays in the past 5 years. Heck, we have trick plays almost as part of regular plays (making them not trick plays) and he calls them at the perfect times.

Offensive genius. Remember when Coach Petrino on the Bobby Petrino show would talk and you just knew the guy oozed football? Many players will say the same about Coach Gunter. He can outscheme the best of them.

I would be ecstatic if I was a Vilonia fan, but I'm just hoping Alma finds a replacement that can be half as good as this guy (I trust we will).

Great job, Eagles.

AT

Also, double ouch because we lost an outstanding coach to a conference opponent.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas