• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Siloam Springs

Started by by-stander, November 28, 2017, 02:01:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck183

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on February 17, 2018, 10:40:52 pm
Not sure why bringing in someone from Oklahoma is the best route other than being able to get them for less and for them to not really understand what they are getting themselves into.  To be fair, I have heard the coach they have hired is pretty impressive.  If he was #1 out of 60 applicants, that is probably true.  I do think the other finalists that were listed were very capable as well.  Siloam had to be pleased with the pool they had to choose from.

Now I do think it would be tough for them to go 4-3 in conference this year.  They should beat Hall and likely Sheridan, but then they need to figure out how to sneak away with a win from two of these five: Greenwood, Russellville, Benton, Lake Hamilton, and El Dorado.  Maybe not unrealistic, but not expected by any means.  Hopefully, they scheduled well for non-conference, but I'm assuming Harrison is still on there, and they won't be much easier than what they will see in conference.

I don't think getting a coach that doesn't know what they're getting into or getting them for cheap either one is a fair statement. 

I certainly can't speak for out administration and what they're thinking was when the process started, but I can give a parental view. (We all know that's the most important).  :)

I think the general concessus by the masses was an overall desire for a completely fresh start. Someone that didn't have any preconceived notions about the program or what it had to offer.  Someone that would throw every playbook out the window, erase the hard drive, and completely start from scratch. 

I spoke to one of our seniors next year while out to dinner tonight.  He's a solid player that has started varsity since his sophomore year. Asked hi. And the parents how the meet and greet went with the new coach.  Their feedback was very positive. He seemed excited to play under the new leadership. Liked the direction coach had planned for their development and workouts.   

As with any new coach and system, time will tell. 

gameoflife

Sounds like the kids are willing and ready to work.  I'm wondering why so much of the search seemed aimed at Oklahoma coaches.  Where were the top Arkansas guys?   That worries me a little.  Not that the guy hired isn't a good coach but that it appears the Arkansas coaching pool wasn't interested? Did they know something?

Buck183

Quote from: gameoflife on February 22, 2018, 01:56:59 pm
Sounds like the kids are willing and ready to work.  I'm wondering why so much of the search seemed aimed at Oklahoma coaches.  Where were the top Arkansas guys?   That worries me a little.  Not that the guy hired isn't a good coach but that it appears the Arkansas coaching pool wasn't interested? Did they know something?

I'll rephrase to hopefully help clarify.  I don't honestly know that the search was focused there. I think that was more of an assumption by parents and fans than anything.  Maybe this was just the best option for what they had for applicants.  We will never know.  I can assure you anything I type on here is nothing more than speculation. 

Speaking for myself and no one else.......I honestly thought it would be a situation similar to Arkansas.  Basically no one with a pedigree in state would be interested in the job.  My thinking was we would be more apt to get a highly qualified person that wanted the job from Oklahoma rather than Arkansas.  (Given the applicants we got I was obviously wrong) It seems like a highly qualified individual tends to go elsewhere rather than Siloam. Siloam usually hires the up and comer, then after they start having some sort of success, another school writes the check and they go somewhere else for s career they can hang their hat on. Rarely does an established person look to move here. 

I've seen this scenario here in multiple sports going back to the mid 80s. 

The facilities are here.  The fan support is here. The players/athletes are here. 

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Buck183 on February 20, 2018, 10:25:53 pm
I don't think getting a coach that doesn't know what they're getting into or getting them for cheap either one is a fair statement. 

I certainly can't speak for out administration and what they're thinking was when the process started, but I can give a parental view. (We all know that's the most important).  :)

I think the general concessus by the masses was an overall desire for a completely fresh start. Someone that didn't have any preconceived notions about the program or what it had to offer.  Someone that would throw every playbook out the window, erase the hard drive, and completely start from scratch. 

I spoke to one of our seniors next year while out to dinner tonight.  He's a solid player that has started varsity since his sophomore year. Asked hi. And the parents how the meet and greet went with the new coach.  Their feedback was very positive. He seemed excited to play under the new leadership. Liked the direction coach had planned for their development and workouts.   

As with any new coach and system, time will tell. 
It is more than a fair statement.  An Oklahoma coach does not know what it's like to face the teams that Siloam will be facing in conference...especially armed with the discrepancy in athletes that normally exists as well as the discrepancy in number of coaches.  As for the pay, were either of the Arkansas finalists not going to have to take a pay cut to take the job?  If they wanted an Arkansas guy, they were most likely going to have to pay him more than what the current salary schedule and index called for, or the guy would have just taken a pay cut.

I get what you are saying about fresh start, I just don't know that it is an advantage.  I think you could make a valid argument for either one.  I would be more interested in a guy that knows the situation and still wants the job versus the guy that doesn't know or just thinks he knows the situation.  I do think that all of those 6 finalists would have been "Someone that would throw every playbook out the window, erase the hard drive, and completely start from scratch."

Please understand that I am not disparaging the hire.  I think it is a good hire, but it does not have as much to do with where the guy coached previously as it does the success he has had and the type of guy he is (from what I've heard).

footballfan-tastic

From what I hear the new guy is running about what Siloam has been running on O and D.  Not a throw away the playbook and do something totally new.  As one poster stated, "the player/athletes are here." If true what does that say about the previous coaches?  I don't think any new coaches are moving with the new guy, at least not unless someone leaves. Pay in OK would drive just about anybody, except at a few of the big schools who are able to determine coaches salaries, to leave and come to AR and be receiving a pay raise. If SS is going to crawl out of the bottom of the 6A its going to require the new HC to be something special.  Not so much x and O's but changing the belief structure of the players and getting them to do something they haven't done so far.

Iknewthemwhen

Don't most coaches do a decent job?  Ultimately it comes down to quality of athletes for the top teams.  I find it hard to believe that SS has the same qualtiy of athletes as say, Greenwood but cannot win more than a couple of games a year, year after year.  If it is not quality of athletes then why do the same schools win pretty consistantly and then have a sudden down year where they win 3-5, even the good ones often see this. I know the coaches forgot how to coach for a while.

gameoflife

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on February 26, 2018, 10:32:15 pm
Don't most coaches do a decent job?  Ultimately it comes down to quality of athletes for the top teams.  I find it hard to believe that SS has the same qualtiy of athletes as say, Greenwood but cannot win more than a couple of games a year, year after year.  If it is not quality of athletes then why do the same schools win pretty consistantly and then have a sudden down year where they win 3-5, even the good ones often see this. I know the coaches forgot how to coach for a while.

You may have hit the nail on the head.  Good athletes usually win when the program is managed well and they train and work hard.  SS has had problems for a long time maintaining a consistently winning fb program.   Was it Dawson and Ashcraft that had the pretty good run for 3-4 years back around 10-15 years back?

coachwinn33

March 10, 2018, 12:03:23 am #57 Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:55:21 pm by coachwinn33
m

gameoflife

How things looking at SS?  New head coach on campus yet?

sssuperpantherfan2

New coach is here and there is a renewed hope in the program and players.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas