• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7A CHAMPIONSHIP(Sat 12:00): BENTONVILLE VS NLR

Started by Brian G, November 24, 2017, 09:21:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think wins and who do you want to win?

Think Bentonville/want Bentonville
10 (19.2%)
BHS/NLR
7 (13.5%)
NLR/NLR
32 (61.5%)
NLR?BHS
3 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: December 01, 2017, 10:44:21 pm

Brian G

November 24, 2017, 09:21:34 pm Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:51:04 pm by B.G.
info coming

Razorback Red

Congrats to both NLR and Bentonville to still be standing.  They both beat very good teams tonight. 

This is the matchup I'm sure NLR wanted, a chance to take down one of the Big Boys from the West.  Any title for NLR would be sweet for them, but something about a win over Bville or Fville might be a little more special for them. 

On to the game: NLR is the favorite and should win, they have looked like the best team all season.  With that said, if Bville plays like they did tonight, they'll have a good shot.  The Bville D will have to play their best game of the year and I think they'll have to throw the ball a bit more on offense.  NLR is going to pound the ball.  I think BHS will need to create a couple of TO's. 

All the pressure will be on NLR, they are supposed to win, can they handle it?

I'll be pulling for my Tigers, but am picking NLR by 7. 

PA Dad

Although I thought Bryant would probably beat Bentonville, this is the game I wanted to see.  It's time for the Central to end the NWA dominance.  I think this is the year.  NLR finally breaks the dominance and wins this one.

PA Dad

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 24, 2017, 10:10:47 pm
Congrats to both NLR and Bentonville to still be standing.  They both beat very good teams tonight. 

This is the matchup I'm sure NLR wanted, a chance to take down one of the Big Boys from the West.  Any title for NLR would be sweet for them, but something about a win over Bville or Fville might be a little more special for them. 

On to the game: NLR is the favorite and should win, they have looked like the best team all season.  With that said, if Bville plays like they did tonight, they'll have a good shot.  The Bville D will have to play their best game of the year and I think they'll have to throw the ball a bit more on offense.  NLR is going to pound the ball.  I think BHS will need to create a couple of TO's. 

All the pressure will be on NLR, they are supposed to win, can they handle it?

I'll be pulling for my Tigers, but am picking NLR by 7.

This should be a very good, competitive game.  NLR has disappointed me too many times.  I hope they play to their potential and don't get spooked by the NWA dominance.

AirWarren

PressBox-81

I have watched Conway play NLR twice this year and overcoming size and speed of NLR was very evident. I also watched Conway take Bentonville to the woodshed. I belive that BV will have a hard time matching up the physicality and speed of NLR.  Until Conway can increase it's recruiting footprint it will have a hard time competing with NLR.

TigerHawg

Well I will be the odd man out and go Bentonville by 3!

Razorback Red

Quote from: TigerHawg on November 25, 2017, 07:57:33 am
Well I will be the odd man out and go Bentonville by 3!

I would not bet against that, TigerHawg.  Bentonville is playing really well right now and has history on their side.  It will come down to Bville's run D.  If they can force NLR to throw the ball, I really like Bville's chances. 

mack

Quote from: WC-soccer dad on November 25, 2017, 07:51:09 am
I have watched Conway play NLR twice this year and overcoming size and speed of NLR was very evident. I also watched Conway take Bentonville to the woodshed. I belive that BV will have a hard time matching up the physicality and speed of NLR.  Until Conway can increase it's recruiting footprint it will have a hard time competing with NLR.

Even if you did recruit, you'd have trouble competing.  You just need to settle for beating them one out of every ten years.

trevster10

pigskin

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 25, 2017, 08:17:38 am
I would not bet against that, TigerHawg.  Bentonville is playing really well right now and has history on their side.  It will come down to Bville's run D.  If they can force NLR to throw the ball, I really like Bville's chances.
There is also the "History" this year of NLR beating B'ville in a 2 qtr scrimmage 41-18. One would think that might be as relevant as completely different squads in years past outcomes... I certainly don't know (nor does anyone else) who'll win, but the scrimmage IS the only history of these squads playing each other regardless of the relevance one assigns it.

Harry Rex Vonner

Bentonville WR/DB/Punt Returner Harrison Campbell is a complete player and should be at least a preferred walkon offer from the Hogs after next year (he's an 11th grader this year)

He's as good or better than Tim Horton was 30 years ago (which is not necessarily good enough to get one a schollie anymore of course)

says he's got 4.6 speed - okay then, he's got that with pads on

Razorback Red

Quote from: pigskin on November 25, 2017, 10:56:10 am
There is also the "History" this year of NLR beating B'ville in a 2 qtr scrimmage 41-18. One would think that might be as relevant as completely different squads in years past outcomes... I certainly don't know (nor does anyone else) who'll win, but the scrimmage IS the only history of these squads playing each other regardless of the relevance one assigns it.

You are right that past years do no matter, but until NLR beats Bville or Fville H2H, the doubt is real.  I would be surprised if NLR loses this one, but they will be playing the most complete team they've played all year.  IMO, basing anything on a scrimmage is about as relevant as comparing scores, how many D1 players each team has, noncon games, etc.... none of that matters when they take the field. 

There are 2 teams that are 9-0 in games that matter and they play Sat at Noon.  They are clearly the two best teams in the state and both deserve to be there. 

Both teams have a great chance of winning if they play well.  Play poorly and either will lose.  Not that much separation between them.

businesstron

i watched both semi games at the same time for atleast the first half it's hard to pick.   If you look at the tales of the tape and who beat who it should be NLR that wins.  They dominated Bentonville in that benefit game at the first of the year and mercy ruled Conway...a team that beat Bentonville soundly early on and also beat West.   

It's hard to bet against Bentonville though.  They are the most balanced team in the state right now and they destroyed Bryant. 

Both teams have improved since the end of the season I think.   But I'm a go with NLR.  I like their coach and they are gonna break through eventually.  I wouldn't be surprised if Bentonville did pull it out though.  I think it'll be a good game. 

wildcatcop

Wow I was never allowed to speak of recruiting! Guess that only comes into play if your accusing a moderator's buddy. 
I will say that recruiting failed big time for that OTHER coach! 
Mitchell seems to be doing great with in district kids soooooo
NLR 23 Bentonville 21 in a nail biter

mack

Quote from: businesstron on November 25, 2017, 01:01:28 pm
i watched both semi games at the same time for atleast the first half it's hard to pick.   If you look at the tales of the tape and who beat who it should be NLR that wins.  They dominated Bentonville in that benefit game at the first of the year and mercy ruled Conway...a team that beat Bentonville soundly early on and also beat West.   

It's hard to bet against Bentonville though.  They are the most balanced team in the state right now and they destroyed Bryant. 

Both teams have improved since the end of the season I think.   But I'm a go with NLR.  I like their coach and they are gonna break through eventually.  I wouldn't be surprised if Bentonville did pull it out though.  I think it'll be a good game. 

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 25, 2017, 12:17:57 pm
You are right that past years do no matter, but until NLR beats Bville or Fville H2H, the doubt is real.  I would be surprised if NLR loses this one, but they will be playing the most complete team they've played all year.  IMO, basing anything on a scrimmage is about as relevant as comparing scores, how many D1 players each team has, noncon games, etc.... none of that matters when they take the field. 

There are 2 teams that are 9-0 in games that matter and they play Sat at Noon.  They are clearly the two best teams in the state and both deserve to be there. 

Both teams have a great chance of winning if they play well.  Play poorly and either will lose.  Not that much separation between them.

I honestly didn't know if I'd live long enough to see Us beat a Bentonville  or a Fayetteville when
they were good.  I still don't know.  We've beaten them when they were just middle of the pack in the West, not when they're good.  We've always had athletes in the past, but we haven't had the trench guys like NWA.  We do now.  We have them on both sides plus skill guys.  This is our best shot.  We have the players and finally a NWA worthy coach. 

NLR by 103.....

The Future

sportsguy80

November 25, 2017, 05:31:03 pm #17 Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:32:59 pm by sportsguy80
Quote from: mack on November 25, 2017, 03:52:20 pm
I honestly didn’t know if I’d live long enough to see Us beat a Bentonville  or a Fayetteville when
they were good.  I still don’t know.  We’ve beaten them when they were just middle of the pack in the West, not when they’re good.  We’ve always had athletes in the past, but we haven’t had the trench guys like NWA.  We do now.  We have them on both sides plus skill guys.  This is our best shot.  We have the players and finally a NWA worthy coach. 

NLR by 103.....
To piggyback on the posts, NLR doesn’t need to recruit. Like mentioned the talent has always been there. I’ll even say that there have been more talent on past teams. Several factors lead to this being NLR year including a down west conference and Coach Mitchell in his second title game appearance with them. I think NLR has the matchup advantages which will decide the game. This should be a good game and wouldn’t be surprised if either team won.

wildcatcop

Agree wholeheartedly! Let these kids win of their own accord! Some of them will be fortunate enough to move on and then they can experience the "business" end of the game but right now they're just kids and should get the FAIR end of competition. Stop letting certain coaches egos get in the way! High School Football is incredibly competitive in this state and we should embrace it. With that being said I'm super proud of my Alma Mater NLR and I can't wait for them to bring it home! #championshippicinthegymbaby

pigskin

Both teams have a great chance of winning if they play well.  Play poorly and either will lose.  Not that much separation between them.            Never claimed that past years don't matter. Or that the historical fact that West has won every 7A title doesn't create doubt amongst many observers and maybe even coaches. I question whether the NLR players are intimidated by that fact tho. If current year scrimmages against each other, common opponent outcomes, and number of superior players on a squad "don't matter"... What do you think is "relevant"? What objective criteria does a person consider trying to reasonably predict a game outcome? Personal observations and opinions? I don't know who'll win... But I can call "heads or tails".... And tell everyone I knew it all along if I guess right.

Lions84

Rugman15

Bentonville is going to have their hands full with this one.  I like all of my NWA schools, but NLR is the REAL DEAL...

North Little Rock 24
Bentonville 10

Baitshop

I am going to stay the course with my contention that Bennie is overrated this year....

NLR by 10+

TigerHawg

Max Preps has NLR ranked # 10 in the country with Bville at #24. Awesome that we have 2 in the top 25!

Old-School-EZ

Quote from: Baitshop on November 27, 2017, 03:30:04 pm
I am going to stay the course with my contention that Bennie is overrated this year....

NLR by 10+

Overrated?  Here's some numbers, and I know I'm swimming in Central infested waters but humor me for a minute.  Yes, the 7A West may have had a "down" year this year.  Down because 2X defending State Champ Fayetteville lost to Bentonville and West? or Because Bryant narrowly beat the dogs by a point early twice because of poor special teams?  Down because Har Ber fell to Bentonville and West, and never fully recovered?  Down because a school like West, dominates the conference until they hit Bentonville and still can't get over Big Brother, and finishes 9-2?

The fact is Bentonville played 8 teams with winning records including two out of state teams ((Rockhurst, MO (8-4) and Bixby, OK (8-4)) with Bixby playing for a state championship this weekend.   They went 6-2 in those games.  The Tigers beat Fayetteville, Bentonville West, Springdale, Har-Ber, Bixby and Bryant) with losses at Rockhurst to open the year and a home loss in Week 3 to Conway. 

NLR played three teams with winning records: Conway twice, Bryant, and McClellan.  Their three non-conference wins were all against 5A schools. If you take away the wins against Conway, Bryant, and McClellan, the combined record of the other opponents was 32-56.  The Tigers manhandled Bryant last week in a game not as close as the final score would even indicate.

The noise is the same.  NLR is very talented, and playing in front of a home crowd, they should be the favorite.  But wasn't the same true last year?  Ran the table, only to get mercy-ruled in the championship game by the Bulldogs?

How about 2014, with OSU-bound KJ Hill as a senior?  Wildcats come rolling into the semis with the only blemish a 10-point road loss to Fayetteville, playing at (home) War Memorial and Bentonville goes on to state with a 42-10 win.

Go ahead Central Arkansas, keep sleeping on the Tigers.  They are anything but "Overrated".

businesstron

Quote from: Old-School-EZ on November 28, 2017, 10:14:13 am
Overrated?  Here's some numbers, and I know I'm swimming in Central infested waters but humor me for a minute.  Yes, the 7A West may have had a "down" year this year.  Down because 2X defending State Champ Fayetteville lost to Bentonville and West? or Because Bryant narrowly beat the dogs by a point early twice because of poor special teams?  Down because Har Ber fell to Bentonville and West, and never fully recovered?  Down because a school like West, dominates the conference until they hit Bentonville and still can't get over Big Brother, and finishes 9-2?

The fact is Bentonville played 8 teams with winning records including two out of state teams ((Rockhurst, MO (8-4) and Bixby, OK (8-4)) with Bixby playing for a state championship this weekend.   They went 6-2 in those games.  The Tigers beat Fayetteville, Bentonville West, Springdale, Har-Ber, Bixby and Bryant) with losses at Rockhurst to open the year and a home loss in Week 3 to Conway. 

NLR played three teams with winning records: Conway twice, Bryant, and McClellan.  Their three non-conference wins were all against 5A schools. If you take away the wins against Conway, Bryant, and McClellan, the combined record of the other opponents was 32-56.  The Tigers manhandled Bryant last week in a game not as close as the final score would even indicate.

The noise is the same.  NLR is very talented, and playing in front of a home crowd, they should be the favorite.  But wasn't the same true last year?  Ran the table, only to get mercy-ruled in the championship game by the Bulldogs?

How about 2014, with OSU-bound KJ Hill as a senior?  Wildcats come rolling into the semis with the only blemish a 10-point road loss to Fayetteville, playing at (home) War Memorial and Bentonville goes on to state with a 42-10 win.

Go ahead Central Arkansas, keep sleeping on the Tigers.  They are anything but "Overrated".

The whole records thing is nice but if we play that game.....

Conway beat Bentonville in Bentonville soundly 35-16
Conway beat West in Bentonville soundly 48-40, the score looks like it was a little close but it really wasn't that close after the 1st half.

NLR beat Conway twice.  Soundly the 1st time 24-14...i think and then they beat the breaks off of them last week 49-14

Then you can factor in the fact that NLR beat everyone in their conference at the very least soundly.  Northside and Bryant in particular took out Fayetteville and Harber. 

Then factor in the fact that NLR dominated Bentonville in their Benefit game.  Now that was just a scrimmage and there's not much value there....but there is something there.   I'll bet you those coaches at Bentonville will be using that as motivation sometime this week.

What I'm saying is at this point  who Bentonville and NLR beat or didn't beat in September isn't as important now.   Bentonville has improved dramatically from what they were at the beginning of the season.  The same can be said for NLR and they were already good.

I agree though they aren't overrated.   

Baitshop

November 28, 2017, 06:44:21 pm #26 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:47:33 pm by Baitshop
Still saying NLR by 10+...

When I am proven right, I've got a large pepperoni pizza of your choice that the folks from Bennie still won't admit that I was right...it's just not the Bennie way.

bbishop

The atmosphere at NLRHS is so much different this year.  Last year it seemed a lot of excitement about making it and then the thought of we can win this.  This year it seems more like, business as usual.  Our players seem more focused (at least in the halls and classroom this is what i am seeing)  If that translate onto the field we will see.

Overdahill

Come on NLR! Im still sore from a big game a number of years back when Bennie came to town and it was over by halftime. It's payback time!

zebradynasty

I hope NLR wins but...I think Bennie still has the wildcats number. :-\

mack

Quote from: Old-School-EZ on November 28, 2017, 10:14:13 am

You NWA guys are the ones crying that the 7W is down this year.  Nobody down here said it.
I guess if we're fortunate enough to win, I guess you can use that as an excuse.
We've beaten Bentonville and Fayetteville in the past, but never when they were the standard. 
I hope we beat the brakes off of Bentonville.  It would go a long way toward burying all those beatings.

pigskin

Any B'ville or 7A West chest beaters please explain why any claims of past dominance of DIFFERENT squads is more relevant than THIS YEAR'S NLR SQUAD DOMINATING B'VILLE'S SQUAD HEAD TO HEAD in their scrimmage. Sure! Doesn't guarantee NLR wins... But.... To claim other much less clearly applicable and murky factors are the more important things to consider over THIS YEAR'S NLR BOYS contest against THIS YEAR'S B'VILLE BOYS doesn't seem objective... I'm  very prejudiced, cuz I got boys on NLR team from 2011-2020...Watched my boys get punked by B'ville n F'ville plenty... Don't know who'll win. Cheering on my guys! But seems suspect to try to make case for B'ville being the favorite. JMO.

PA Dad

Quote from: mack on November 29, 2017, 07:43:52 pm
You NWA guys are the ones crying that the 7W is down this year.  Nobody down here said it.
I guess if we're fortunate enough to win, I guess you can use that as an excuse.
We've beaten Bentonville and Fayetteville in the past, but never when they were the standard. 
I hope we beat the brakes off of Bentonville.  It would go a long way toward burying all those beatings.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I'm an alum of NLR.  My daughter attended PA so I'm a PA fan.  I understand those who want to see PA lose  because of their dominance. 

I'm similarly tired of the NWA dominance in 7A.  NLR has the hosses.  This should be the year.

sportsguy80

I try not to get caught up in the west vs central debate but rather focus on how the teams are currently playing. During past years coaching, depth, and line play contributed to the west title runs. In my opinion, you can throw out past dominance from a conference with this game. NLR has all of these components this year which enhances their chances. Both have made it this far because they're playing the best ball in 7A. I doubt the players or coaches will get caught up in the hype and just prepare to win a championship.

TigerHawg

Quote from: sportsguy80 on November 30, 2017, 07:07:17 am
I try not to get caught up in the west vs central debate but rather focus on how the teams are currently playing. During past years coaching, depth, and line play contributed to the west title runs. In my opinion, you can throw out past dominance from a conference with this game. NLR has all of these components this year which enhances their chances. Both have made it this far because they're playing the best ball in 7A. I doubt the players or coaches will get caught up in the hype and just prepare to win a championship.

Amen. I love my teams but at the end of the days its HS football. Both teams will play hard and the coaches will make good and bad calls as always. Both teams have been excellent to watch this year and these young men earned the top 2 spots in the state. Well done!

The Future

Any 7A fans happen to make the trip tonight to watch the 6A game? Just wondering.

Me and a buddy are staying the night here and will watch the 7A game tomorrow. 

Yellowcake

I was there. Pine Bluff not as good as some past pine bluff teams. Greenwood, however, was very very good on both sides of the ball and special teams. The better team won.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 01, 2017, 10:59:16 pm
I was there. Pine Bluff not as good as some past pine bluff teams. Greenwood, however, was very very good on both sides of the ball and special teams. The better team won.

PB was not as good as the 2013-2015 versions, but they will be back to that level with the youth they had. I think depending on what happens in this 7A title game GW along with PA will be in the talk for consideration of the top 3 teams overall in the state.

I hope this one is more competitive than the GW/PB game was because I think PA will blow out LRM. So, this game may be best hope for a good close game now.

AT

Will be doing play by play (updated every drive or end of quarter). Bentonville will be BV and North Little Rock will be NLR

beach bum

KNWA just ruined my Saturday... Why are they showing this 7A state title game when the Arsenal vs Manchester United game is supposed to be on the usual 11:30 Saturday slot for the Premier League.... Thanks KNWA

AT

NLR kicks off to start the game.

BV returns the ball to the BV 31.

BV ball on the BV 31.

1st and 10 - 2 yard run to the BV 33.
2nd and 8 - 10 yard pass to the BV 43.

1st and 10 - Incomplete pass.
2nd and 10 - 9 yard run to the NLR 48.
3rd and 1 - 10 yard run to the NLR 38.

1st and 10 - Penalty against BV puts ball on NLR 43.
1st and 15 - 38 yard run to the NLR 5.

1st and Goal - 0 yard run to the NLR 5.
2nd and Goal - Penalty against NLR puts ball on NLR 2.
2nd and Goal - 2 yard touchdown run. PAT Good.

BV - 7

NLR - 0

Just under 9 minutes 1Q

Opinion: BV O-Line dominated that series.

AT

BV kicks off after the touchdown.

NLR returns the ball to the NLR 26.

NLR ball on the NLR 26.

1st and 10 - 2 yard run to the NLR 28.
2nd and 8 - Incomplete pass.
3rd and 8 - BV intercepts the pass and returns the ball to the NLR 33.

BV - 7

NLR - 0

1Q

AT

BV ball on the BV 33.

1st and 10 - 16 yard run to the BV 17.

2nd and 10 - NLR intercepts the pass and returns the ball to the NLR 28.

BV - 7

NLR - 0

1Q

AT

NLR ball on the NLR 28.

1st and 10 - 3 yard run to the NLR 31.
2nd and 7 - 3 yard run to the NLR 34.
3rd and 4 - Penalty against NLR puts ball on NLR 29.
3rd and 9 - 7 yard pass to the NLR 36.
4th and 2 - Penalty against NLR puts ball on NLR 33.
4th and 5 - NLR punts and BV returns the ball to the BV 25.

BV - 7

NLR - 0

4:47 1Q

Maynard G Krebs

AT

BV ball on the BV 25.

1st and 10 - 9 yard run to the BV 34.
2nd and 1 - 8 yard run to the BV 42.

1st and 10 - 9 yard pass to the NLR 49.
2nd and 1 - 28 yard pass to the NLR 21.

1st and 10 - 12 yard pass to the NLR 9.

1st and Goal - Penalty against NLR puts ball on NLR 4.
1st and Goal - Incomplete pass.
2nd and Goal - 4 yard touchdown run. PAT Good.

BV - 14

NLR - 0

3:18 1Q

Observation: NLR's D has no answer for the BV offense other than the turnover.

mack

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 02, 2017, 12:31:58 pm
BV ball on the BV 25.

1st and 10 - 9 yard run to the BV 34.
2nd and 1 - 8 yard run to the BV 42.

1st and 10 - 9 yard pass to the NLR 49.
2nd and 1 - 28 yard pass to the NLR 21.

1st and 10 - 12 yard pass to the NLR 9.

1st and Goal - Penalty against NLR puts ball on NLR 4.
1st and Goal - Incomplete pass.
2nd and Goal - 4 yard touchdown run. PAT Good.

BV - 14

NLR - 0

3:18 1Q

Observation: NLR's D has no answer for the BV offense other than the turnover.

Or the holding it seems...

AT

BV kicks off after the touchdown.

NLR returns the ball to the NLR 23.

NLR ball on the NLR 23.

1st and 10 - 7 yard run to the NLR 30.
2nd and 3 - 6 yard run to the NLR 36.

2nd and 10 - 7 yard pass to the NLR 43.
3rd and 3 - 11 yard run to the BV 46.

1st and 10 - 6 yard run to the BV 40.
2nd and 4 - 10 yard run to the BV 30.

1st and 10 - 6 yard pass to the BV 24.
2nd and 4 - 24 yard touchdown run. PAT Good.

BV - 14

NLR - 7

1Q

Observation: NLR with a great response. Methodical and great play calling. NLR's O-Line and strong runners dictated that drive.

Maynard G Krebs

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas