• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Longfellow's Foreign Film Thread

Started by Longfellow, December 31, 2015, 12:55:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Longfellow

December 31, 2015, 12:55:25 pm Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:03:21 pm by Longfellow
I'm a big fan of Kung Fu movies. Anyone else? If so, what are your favorites and favorite martial artists

Black and Gold

Although it's not family friendly and may only be in some Asian language, The Raid 2 is amazing. The greatest fight scenes I've ever seen. This movie is very R rated.

Longfellow

I love the Raid 2. Iko Uwais is one of the best. I like that it's in the natural language instead of being dubbed. Dubbed movies make me so angry. If you like The Raid, try the Ong Bak series. Tony Jaa is definitely my favorite martial artist. The fight scenes in Ong Bak 2 are some of the best I've seen.

Black and Gold

I'll check it out. If you can handle spoof movies, check out Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. It has Steve Oedekerk so you know it's good. The dubbed over thing is what made me think of it.

Longfellow

That movie is funny! I watched that a few days ago

Longfellow

Found a great new series of movies called the Protector and the Protector 2. In Thai they are called Tom Yum Goong and also translate to the Warrior King. Tony Jaa is phenomenal. Great fight scenes and impeccable choreography. Tony Jaa is one of the best athletes I've ever seen. Has a great parkour chase and Jaa does all his own stunts. If you don't like seeing arms being broken, you might not want to watch it. About 30 arms are broken in one scene

bdubyab60

The Raid, both of them awesome, though technically not Kung Fu. Forget the name of the martial art employed in it. Fight scene in the kitchen was shot in one take with one camera. Awesome fight scene.

Ong Bak and the protector are pretty good but I think they made one to many of the Ong Baks movies. Can't remember which one but it started getting all supernatural and it was just one big fight scene the entire movie. Still decent.

Watch anything with Donnie Yen in it. He is flat out amazing. IP Man 1 and 2. The first is the better movie and has one of the best fight scenes you will ever see.

Kung Fu Hustle- a more traditional styled movie and straight over the top. Highly recommend it.

Anything with Bruce in it of course. By the way IP Man was the actual teacher of Bruce Lee.

Jackie Chan has some really good movies along with Jet Li.

This is not a king fu but samurai movie. 13 Assassins- very little cgi in it. A little slow starting off but the hour or longer battle at the end is spectacular. Check em out and you won't be disappointed if you are in to those kinds of movies.

Longfellow

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 22, 2016, 08:28:41 am
The Raid, both of them awesome, though technically not Kung Fu. Forget the name of the martial art employed in it. Fight scene in the kitchen was shot in one take with one camera. Awesome fight scene.

Ong Bak and the protector are pretty good but I think they made one to many of the Ong Baks movies. Can't remember which one but it started getting all supernatural and it was just one big fight scene the entire movie. Still decent.

Watch anything with Donnie Yen in it. He is flat out amazing. IP Man 1 and 2. The first is the better movie and has one of the best fight scenes you will ever see.

Kung Fu Hustle- a more traditional styled movie and straight over the top. Highly recommend it.

Anything with Bruce in it of course. By the way IP Man was the actual teacher of Bruce Lee.

This is not a king fu but samurai movie. 13 Assassins- very little cgi in it. A little slow starting off but the hour or longer battle at the end is spectacular. Check em out and you won't be disappointed if you are in to those kinds of movies.
Pencak Silat is the name of the martial arts style in the Raid. It's a fun style to watch

I agree with you on Ong Bak 3. Almost no Muay Thai from Tony Jaa. The Protector has one scene that goes for over 4 minutes without a cut. Really impressive cinematography. Tony Jaa invented a new style of Muay Thai just for The Protector. I can't get enough of his movies. I hope he makes it big in Hollywood

When it comes to Jackie Chan and Jet Li, I really only like their Chinese movies, though I really enjoyed Fearless and Unleashed. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow is my favorite Jackie Chan movie, Drunken Master is also excellent 

I really enjoyed both Ip Man movies. The third just came out. Haven't seen it, but Mike Tyson is the bad guy.

Gordon Liu is one of the biggest stars of Hong Kong in the 70's. He was fantastic in 36th Chamber of Shaolin and Clan of the White Lotus. Check out his movies, they have a few on Netflix

Black and Gold

I had a horrible arm break once. Compound fracture both bones sticking out of the skin. I should be able to handle it.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Longfellow on January 22, 2016, 09:09:49 am
Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 22, 2016, 08:28:41 am

Pencak Silat is the name of the martial arts style in the Raid. It's a fun style to watch

I agree with you on Ong Bak 3. Almost no Muay Thai from Tony Jaa. The Protector has one scene that goes for over 4 minutes without a cut. Really impressive cinematography. Tony Jaa invented a new style of Muay Thai just for The Protector. I can't get enough of his movies. I hope he makes it big in Hollywood

When it comes to Jackie Chan and Jet Li, I really only like their Chinese movies, though I really enjoyed Fearless and Unleashed. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow is my favorite Jackie Chan movie, Drunken Master is also excellent 

I really enjoyed both Ip Man movies. The third just came out. Haven't seen it, but Mike Tyson is the bad guy.

Gordon Liu is one of the biggest stars of Hong Kong in the 70's. He was fantastic in 36th Chamber of Shaolin and Clan of the White Lotus. Check out his movies, they have a few on Netflix
Yeah for Chan and Li thats the ones im talking about. Just couldnt remember it was Silat for the Raid. i clapped after the fight scene in the kitchen.

Theres a movie with Donnie Yen where he is in a stick fight with someone. While the outcome is determined by the script the fight between Yen and his opponent is real. they actually fought with the sticks to see if they could hit each other. completely unchoreographed fight.

Valleysports

Longfellow

Finally had a chance to watch the Raid 2 this morning. I like the first one better, but the speed and skill of Iko Uwais just continues to amaze me. I watched some Pencak Silat competitions on YouTube, and it's a legit style. Kinda looks like a mix of Muay Thai and Chinese Martial Arts. Has short, fast, defensive arm movements like Wing Chun and other Southern China styles, but also has the grappling aspect of Muay Thai and other Southeast Asian styles.

bdubyab60

The first raid is the better movie. The fight scenes in the second are better I thought.

Longfellow

Watched some good ones today. Executioners from Shaolin is a Shaw Brothers film from the 70's. Very funny, but has some great fighting. Introduced a friend of mine to Ip Man, and now I'm finishing the night with Jet Li's Unleashed. I have another Shaw film, "The Boxer from Shantung" on the DVR. Highly rated and have heard a lot of good about it

bdubyab60

I've got Iceman with Donnie Yen in it. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet gonna try and get to it this week.

Longfellow

Just finished Skin Trade with Tony Jaa and Dolph Lundgren. Ok movie. Ron Perlman was pretty awful as the Russian bad guy. Jaa has a couple good fight scenes, especially the one with Michael Jai White. Directors seem to not know that Dolph Lundgren is a 3rd Dan Black Belt in Kyokushin Karate. His fight with Tony Jaa is solid, but I would've liked his martial arts background to show up more.

bdubyab60

Kundo pretty good flick. Little long but good.

Longfellow

I watched Clan of the White Lotus last night. Great movie. Classic Shaolin Temple revenge movie. Stars Gordon Liu and Lo Lieh. Really fun scenes. All around classic Shaw Brothers movie

Black and Gold

I'll be going to watch Deadpool soon. It's not Kung Fu, but it's fighting and I can guarantee it will be funny.

bdubyab60

I've seen two reviews on deadpool from guys on YouTube that usually are spot on with movies. The ones I like anyway. They said it is awesome. I'm catching it this weekend.

Black and Gold

Nice! I'll be going soon enough. Let you guys know what I think

bdubyab60

Check out jeremyjahns on youtube. Usually gives some pretty good reviews on movies.

Longfellow

Watching Hero starring Jet Li. Cinematic masterpiece. Outstanding choreography and the directors' use of color makes for a very pleasing visual experience. Li's fight with Donnie Yen was one of the best I've seen from Jet Li. Also has a great plot with excellent storytelling, unlike a lot of martial arts films. Gonna watch 14 Blades with Donnie Yen next

Longfellow

Not a martial arts film, but Drug War is a great film. The star of the movie, Louis Koo, is somewhat of a Chinese Brad Pitt, in that he plays mostly parts in action movies heavy on drama and suspense. Great movie all the way through with a wild finish. It's on Netflix

Other good movies I've seen lately:

The Man From Nowhere - South Korean revenge action thriller. It didn't blow me away, but it was entertaining all the way through. Some pretty good fight scenes and shootouts

Triple Tap (2010) - Stars Louis Koo, who is definitely my favorite Chinese actor, as a competitive shooting champion who stops a robbery. A lot of twists and turns made this entertaining

Invisible Target (2007) - Chinese cop action thriller. Solid acting, some good martial arts, and some great action scenes. The random destruction budget for this film must've been through the roof

SPL: Killzone (2005) - Stars Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung. The fight scene between those two at the end is fantastic. Overall, great action movie

Hard Boiled (1992) - This is considered by many to be the greatest pure action movie of all time. That list includes me. Starring Chow Yun-Fat as a detective named Tequila, this film has some of the best shootouts I've ever seen. It's directed by John Woo, whose American films don't even fit on the same scale as his Hong Kong work. The action coordinator for the movie was a superstar martial artist and choreographer in the 70's, and it shows. Just 2 hours of pure action bliss

bdubyab60

Quote from: Longfellow on June 30, 2016, 10:15:28 am
Not a martial arts film, but Drug War is a great film. The star of the movie, Louis Koo, is somewhat of a Chinese Brad Pitt, in that he plays mostly parts in action movies heavy on drama and suspense. Great movie all the way through with a wild finish. It's on Netflix

Other good movies I've seen lately:

The Man From Nowhere - South Korean revenge action thriller. It didn't blow me away, but it was entertaining all the way through. Some pretty good fight scenes and shootouts

Triple Tap (2010) - Stars Louis Koo, who is definitely my favorite Chinese actor, as a competitive shooting champion who stops a robbery. A lot of twists and turns made this entertaining

Invisible Target (2007) - Chinese cop action thriller. Solid acting, some good martial arts, and some great action scenes. The random destruction budget for this film must've been through the roof

SPL: Killzone (2005) - Stars Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung. The fight scene between those two at the end is fantastic. Overall, great action movie

Hard Boiled (1992) - This is considered by many to be the greatest pure action movie of all time. That list includes me. Starring Chow Yun-Fat as a detective named Tequila, this film has some of the best shootouts I've ever seen. It's directed by John Woo, whose American films don't even fit on the same scale as his Hong Kong work. The action coordinator for the movie was a superstar martial artist and choreographer in the 70's, and it shows. Just 2 hours of pure action bliss
I bought The Man from Nowhere a few years back for like 5 bucks at walmart. Movie is a little slow at times and some of the dialog is weird. but he fight scene at the end brings it back up. Has a good payoff for sitting through some of the story

Longfellow

I looked at the DVD at Hastings and it made me laugh. It said, "best on-screen knife fight in years" I was just thinking wow have y'all not seen The Raid 2?

bdubyab60

That's the reason I bought it was for the knife fight but the Raid 2 took it to another level when it came out.

Black and Gold

Are the Raid movies on Netflix?

Longfellow

They had the first one on there but took it off a few months ago. I got lucky and found the second one on DVD at Hastings for $2

Black and Gold

I'll have to go looking. I've seen fight scenes from both movies on YouTube

Black and Gold

Anything new Longfellow?

Longfellow

I watched For the Emperor last week. Korean movie about a guy climbing through the ranks of an organized crime group. No martial arts, but some good fight scenes nonetheless.

Also watched Wheels on Meals. Not Jackie Chan's funniest movie, but much better than some of his early American stuff (actually anything besides Rush Hour). I would recommend watching the English dubbed version because the movie is set in Spain. Chan, Yuen Biao, and Sammo Hung are always entertaining together, and this is no exception

Longfellow

I was finally able to watch Killzone 2: A Time for Consequences. It stars Wu Jing and Tony Jaa in his first movie in Hong Kong. The martial arts were fantastic, as would be expected, up until the final fight. Just too many wires for me, especially when you have a guy like Tony Jaa. Still, great action throughout the movie. What really sold me on this movie was the story and the performances by the supporting actors. Simon Yam, who is a big star in his own right, gave a great performance. And Louis Koo, who is my favorite Chinese actor, was great as the criminal mastermind. It's not often that a martial arts movie has such good drama and acting, but Killzone 2 delivers on all fronts. Not Tony Jaa's best fight scenes, but that comes down to who the coreographer was. Still gives some nice spin kicks and flying knees and elbows though

Black and Gold

Martial arts movies are the best..

Longfellow

Watched three really good movies this week:

Stool Pigeon - the story of a police captain and his informant (known as a stool pigeon) who are attempting to take down a criminal and his crew planning a jewel heist. Straight forward but good plot with good action, a couple solid car chases, and a decent side story with the police captain. Nicholas Tse, who is a top notch martial artist, won best actor at the Hong Kong film awards for his performance as the informant. Nick Cheung was also nominated for best actor for his performance as inspector Lee. I highly recommend this movie

Police Tactical Unit - a unit of semi-corrupt cops who spend a night dodging internal affairs and looking for a mob boss who has betrayed his business partner. Movie is similar to Quentin Tarantino's Resevoir Dogs in how the action unfolds. It's a slow suspenseful build up to an epic finale. Simon Yam was nominated for two best actor awards for his performance. Film is sorta slow at times, but it is so worth it

Confession of Murder - Korean movie about a detective chasing a serial killer who killed his fiancé. When the statute of limitations expires on the crimes, the killer comes forward with a tell all book about the crimes. But everything doesn't add up when it comes to the final murder (that of the detectives girlfriend), and the lieutenant suspects he isn't the real killer. An overdone car chase and some CGI'd action sequences diminish an otherwise top notch suspense thriller. Well written and well acted

Longfellow

Watched a killer movie last night. Name is "The City of Violence". About a Korean detective and his friend who search for their best friend's murderer. Literally felt like Quentin Tarantino wrote and directed this movie. Just so similar stylistically with the cinematography, dialogue, and action. Not a ton of plot, but the fight scenes were fantastic. The guy who directed the movie is also one of the stars. The main character, Detective Tae-Soo, was played by the guy who started the first stunt school in Korea. Needless to say, the guy was good. Both stars well versed in Taekwondo and implement a lot of flying and spinning kicks. Super cool set pieces for the final fight as well. Only drawback for me was that during some of the fight scenes, there were a lot of cuts and use of hand cams. It's really jerky in some parts, but settles down at the end. If you like action, great movie

Black and Gold

Longfellow

Yea. I felt it needed a change. Became more "any film I watch from Asia" than just Kung Fu movies

Longfellow

Police Story: Lockdown (2013) - the latest entry in Jackie Chan's iconic action series. No crazy martial arts or outrageous stunts like the first 2, but a solid film. Goes more of a dramatic route. The action is kinda scarce actually. Still a good film. If you're a fan of the Donnie Yen style stuff, like Flashpoint, Kung Fu Killer, or Special ID, you will like the fight scenes in this one. More of a mixed martial arts feel to the fighting, with a lot of focus on grappling. Ending is kinda typical for a Jackie Chan movie, but still enjoyable. Not a great film, but good enough

Longfellow

Also, I just got my paycheck Friday and spent $120 buying movies on Amazon. Free shipping 🤘

Longfellow

Infernal Affairs: one of the greatest Chinese film trilogies ever made. Martin Scorsese's "The Departed" is a remake of the first one. Tony Leung plays an undercover cop who has infiltrated a powerful triad opposite Andy Lau, who has infiltrated the police. As the story progresses, each of the men is tasked with finding out who the mole is. 10/10. Highly recommended

New World: An undercover cop finds himself in a power struggle after the death of the head of Korea's largest syndicate. Starts off slow. Actually kinda boring, but when the action picks up, it really picks up. Still, nothing that hasn't been done before. 6.5/10

Longfellow

I finally found some time in the last couple of weeks to watch some movies. My collection is piling up. Over 100 Asian action films with more in the mail now.

No Tears For the Dead: DVD case says that the action scenes rival those in the Raid 2. They lied. A Korean hit man accidentally kills a little girl during an assignment to kill her father, who has swindled millions from gangsters. His American employers send him to Korea to kill the girls mother, who may have the account numbers holding the money. He has a change of heart and can't kill the mother, which puts him in opposition to his employers. A plot that has been used before, combined with a plot twice as complicated as it should be takes away from the film as a whole. Good acting, solid action scenes, and a shocking ending redeem it somewhat. 6/10

Puzzle: almost a shot for shot Korean remake of Reservoir Dogs with a slight plot twist. Good film, but lacks the usual fantastic cinematography that comes in Korean and Hong Kong films. Compared to Reservoir Dogs, which is my favorite movie ever, this film comes up quite a bit short. Ending was good though. 6/10

Fists of Legend: Kinda like the American MMA movie "Warrior". It's kinda hard to explain. A tv show pits middle-aged men who were great fighters in their youth against each other, with the winner getting a cash prize. Comedic in some scenes with out-of-shape 40 year olds fighting and has really good dramatic scenes. It's over two and half hours though. 8/10

Longfellow

With finals over, I'm about to spend the next few weeks doing nothing but watching martial arts, action, thriller, and crime movies. I have about 60 on my DVR

The Suspect (2013) - a classic Korean storyline. Special agent from North Korea defects to the South, only to be hunted down by assassins during his quest to find the truth about the death of his wife and daughter. Nice blend on action and dialogue. Nothing special, but a good and rewatchable piece of work. 7/10 

Longfellow

Tony: Memories - A Korean mini-series about a turf war between two high school gangs. I was very surprised by the fight choreography. Actually some really good martial arts mixed in with some good old-fashioned street fighting. Poor camera work detracts from some of the fights. 12 episodes in the series, each clocks in at about 10 minutes. Not much character development or plot, but good entertainment. It's on Netflix. 9/10

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas