• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Travel Chat

Started by beach bum, August 21, 2015, 09:09:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

I am starting a new thread for people to post about trips they have recently been on or future/past ones. It can be as simple as a new town in Arkansas you are going through or going to another country..... as well as obviously new states and new cities you visited. I enjoy hearing about other people's experiences of seeing something new.

beach bum

August 21, 2015, 09:19:11 pm #1 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:22:01 pm by beach bum
I guess I will get it started.... this last 6 months have been the most probably in a long time as far as traveling for me. And all in a car I might had. I am an old school road trip guy ( I sleep in a tent or my car 80% of the time. IT SAVES MONEY GALORE). In February, I went up to Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota. The far west of south Dakota is truly a gem. The Badlands, Black Hills, and Rapid City are a real treat. Montana and Wyoming are incredible. I absolutely love seeing all that free and untouched land out there. When I came back in May for a visit I made my way all the way down to Tampa/Saint Pete. Clearwater Beach truly is great. On the way back I came through SE Arkansas. I always love that drive through Lake Village on Hwy 65. I spent my first winter  living in Colorado. I was really nervous about winter here but ended up loving it. I won't lie. The three blasts we had of -10 degrees were horrible but all in all I loved the winter.

.....Anybody else see some new places recently or have a trip planned coming up?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on August 21, 2015, 09:19:11 pm
I guess I will get it started.... this last 6 months have been the most probably in a long time as far as traveling for me. And all in a car I might had. I am an old school road trip guy ( I sleep in a tent or my car 80% of the time. IT SAVES MONEY GALORE). In February, I went up to Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota. The far west of south Dakota is truly a gem. The Badlands, Black Hills, and Rapid City are a real treat. Montana and Wyoming are incredible. I absolutely love seeing all that free and untouched land out there. When I came back in May for a visit I made my way all the way down to Tampa/Saint Pete. Clearwater Beach truly is great. On the way back I came through SE Arkansas. I always love that drive through Lake Village on Hwy 65. I spent my first winter  living in Colorado. I was really nervous about winter here but ended up loving it. I won't lie. The three blasts we had of -10 degrees were horrible but all in all I loved the winter.

.....Anybody else see some new places recently or have a trip planned coming up?

Didn't do hardly any traveling growing up....So trying to spoil my kids to it...

Anyway, went to the st Louis zoo in May....best zoo of the five I've been to, and it's FREE! Took the long way up  67....And Lord I don't think I could live in east arkansas....

Spent last weekend in tulsa...the kids loved the aquarium, which made the 60 bucks I spent to get in sting a little bit less

beach bum

August 21, 2015, 09:51:10 pm #3 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:53:49 pm by beach bum
I want to go to the Saint Louis Zoo so bad. My girlfriend told me its so big its hard to get through the whole thing in one lump. And I almost didn't believe her when she told me it was free. If I ever have kids I am definitely going to have to invest in one of those "Friends of the Zoo" passes wherever I live for a yearly pass. When I swung through the state I wanted to see the new Bass Pro in Memphis. I have seen pictures of friends that went and it looks incredible. That thing is going to be a mad house before this years hunting season.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on August 21, 2015, 09:51:10 pm
I want to go to the Saint Louis Zoo so bad. My girlfriend told me its so big its hard to get through the whole thing in one lump. And I almost didn't believe her when she told me it was free. If I ever have kids I am definitely going to have to invest in one of those "Friends of the Zoo" passes wherever I live for a yearly pass. When I swung through the state I wanted to see the new Bass Pro in Memphis. I have seen pictures of friends that went and it looks incredible. That thing is going to be a mad house before this years hunting season.

Fifteen bucks to park in their lot...but forrest park is close by and had lots of free parking.... we were there for 8 hours and didn't see everything.. I've been to ft worth, tulsa, Springfield mo, and littke tick zoos...st louis is by far the best.

WPWells

Spent 30 days in Greece and 15 days in Florida this summer.

fastdrop

Quote from: beach bum on August 21, 2015, 09:51:10 pm
The bass pro shop in Memphis hit a million visitors 3 weeks back. Crazy......... They sold $250,000 worth of fudge after 3 weeks of being open.

Breitontime

Went to Indy for MotoGP a couple weekends ago. It was awesome as usual. Going down to Austin fot Formula 1 in a couple months. Next month is the Distinguished Gentleman's ride. It's a worldwide thing, but doing Lauderdale this year. It's a prostate cancer fundraiser. Everybody gets dressed to the nines. Bowties, fancy everything, and goes for a cruise. Big 100,000+ people vintage motorcycle festival in Oct in Birmingham. And somewhere in there, a trip to Vegas.

RiverEagle079

I went to Gatlinburg stayed at the top of the smokey mountains overlooking pigeon forge good views and ole smokey moonshine is the best imo

beach bum

Good stuff guys... I have been to all these cities/states you guys have so far talked about but never been to Greece obviously! It must have been a little strange being there this summer under the political circumstances.

beach bum

August 22, 2015, 07:01:49 pm #10 Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:06:34 pm by beach bum
I forgot I went to Dallas-Fort Worth for the second time ever this summer. I figured I would have been there more in my life growing up in Arkansas. I really liked visiting but its too much of a sprawl there to ever think about living. Denver really won me over. Its a big place but not exploding. You can get around pretty easy. DFW is too much at peak times for me.

WPWells

It was a little weird. We were out before everything fell apart, but we definitely saw some of the effects. There were wings of certain museums that weren't open because the museum couldn't afford to pay security guards

Breitontime

I haven't been to Denver in ages.  Girl I am seeing was stationed there back in 08. We've been talking about making a trip out soon. I have some friends on the Rockies, she has military friends there. Would make a good trip. 

sevenof400

I have immensely enjoyed my two trips to Pagosa Springs Colorado (the hiking and scenery were relaxing and inspiring).  I'd move, relocate, retire there tomorrow if I could.  I would like to see other areas of the west too. 

When I was young, all of our trips were always to see relatives and I remember how I hated that.  Since we had kids, we've always tried to vacation to new places and see new things.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 04, 2015, 12:05:29 pm
I have immensely enjoyed my two trips to Pagosa Springs Colorado (the hiking and scenery were relaxing and inspiring).  I'd move, relocate, retire there tomorrow if I could.  I would like to see other areas of the west too. 

When I was young, all of our trips were always to see relatives and I remember how I hated that.  Since we had kids, we've always tried to vacation to new places and see new things.

That's how my family vacations were growing up..... I still do it, but try to find something new to do...

beach bum

September 04, 2015, 02:16:35 pm #15 Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:18:39 pm by beach bum
Quote from: HF on September 04, 2015, 02:07:59 pm

That's how my family vacations were growing up..... I still do it, but try to find something new to do...

Pagosa Springs really is amazing. I got to visit my buddy in Durango and go through Pagosa this last winter and see the 4 corners area. Colorado Springs to Durango is about 4.5 hrs away so its a pretty good trek and in the winter has to be done at the right time. In Arkansas, I want to go to Murfreesboro for the diamonds and trek back up 27 or 7 to then go to the Buffalo between Ponca and Jasper and see Whitaker Point in that area. I grew up so close and never went. When I came back this summer I will say one thing, the mountains are so amazing out west but when I got back to the Ozarks I absolutely have to say I miss the green so much. I never realized how much I took the lush green of the Ozark National Forest for granted and the late October/early November mass color change.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on September 04, 2015, 02:16:35 pm
Quote from: HF on September 04, 2015, 02:07:59 pm

Pagosa Springs really is amazing. I got to visit my buddy in Durango and go through Pagosa this last winter and see the 4 corners area. Colorado Springs to Durango is about 4.5 hrs away so its a pretty good trek and in the winter has to be done at the right time. In Arkansas, I want to go to Murfreesboro for the diamonds and trek back up 27 or 7 to then go to the Buffalo between Ponca and Jasper and see Whitaker Point in that area. I grew up so close and never went. When I came back I will say one thing, the mountains are so amazing out west but when I got back to the Ozarks I absolutely have to say I miss the green so much. I never realized how much I took the lush green of the Ozark National Forest for granted and the late October/early November mass color change.

If you go to murfreesboro, drive down 27 it's a nice drive through the ouachitas and as you know brings you right into dardanelle, conveniently on highway 7...

The diamond mine was pretty cool. But..Whitaker point, I know the name but can't picture it right now...

WPWells

September 04, 2015, 02:21:55 pm #17 Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:16:04 pm by 12th Man CHS
My family always vacationed growing up and I've set several travel goals

Short-term:
Visit all 50 states (42 complete)
Visit parks for all 30 MLB teams (21 complete)
Visit all 408 national park units (151 complete)

Long-term:
Visit all 196 countries (4 complete)
Visit all 1058 World Heritage Sites (27 complete)

I understand that the long-term goals may not be as easily attainable, but hey you have to have goals. I'm only 20, so I'll have a chance

Breitontime

No sense in setting easy to obtain goals, for any aspect of life.

On the topic, I'm off to Davenport, Iowa tonight for a bike show, then to Springfield, IL Sunday for a AMA flat track race at the Springfield Mile. Motorcycles doing 160+mph on dirt. I've been thinking about getting in to AHRMA racing, but flat track looks like a lot more fun.

WPWells

Whitaker Point is also known as Hawksbill Crag and is probably the most beautiful place in Arkansas

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on September 04, 2015, 04:16:41 pm
Whitaker Point is also known as Hawksbill Crag and is probably the most beautiful place in Arkansas

Ah I was thinking that earlier. ..never been there but I agree on it possibly being the most beautiful

sevenof400

Check this out for a crag:

Valleysports

Seven, I'm seriously thinking about hanging out on a ranch near Pagosa next summer.  A friend leases a cabin and house, for 12 weeks, takes their horses up for the summer.  The deck of that cabin hangs over one of those trout creeks.  They post a lot of great pics riding the horses up in the mountains. 

VHSCoach2

During the summer of 2014, my wife (then fiance) and I took a trip out West. Went through Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico (stopped at Walter White's* house in Albuquerque), Arizona (Grand Canyon), and finally, Las Vegas, Nevada.

Stayed in Vegas for a few days, then drove back through Utah and the Rockies in Colorado. Then kept going through Kansas before returning home.

This past summer (2015), my wife and I went East. Through Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida (went down to Miami, then visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando).  Came back through Georgia and visited the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta.

Loved both of the trips. I love driving over flying by a long shot. I love being able to see the scenic views from the car rather than from above. The only downside to both trips were paying the tolls on the Kansas Turnpike and the Ronald Reagan Turnpike (in Florida).

*-Walter White from "Breaking Bad" if you didn't get the reference.

Valleysports

I absolutely love the Rockies, been all over them from Canada to New Mexico.  However I've seen mountains I can't hardly describe.  Rockies on steroids.  Wrangles, Kenai's,  Talkeetna's, Chugach's, Brook's, & Alaskan Range.  Flying is the only way to travel. lol

Breitontime

Rockies are awesome. But, Alaska's where it's at. I remember the first time I flew close to Denali (formerly Mt. McKinley). It was about 1 a.m., still daylight, kind of hazy. Just amazing.

WPWells

Alaska is one of the states I'm missing. I'll need to be fairly wealthy before I go there because several of the national parks there require a fly-in on a bush plane

Breitontime

Yeah, that gets pricey. I was fortunate my host family up there owned one. I could have never afforded that back then. Your first water landing, it's terrifying.

sevenof400

Quote from: Valleysports on September 05, 2015, 08:34:25 am
Seven, I'm seriously thinking about hanging out on a ranch near Pagosa next summer.  A friend leases a cabin and house, for 12 weeks, takes their horses up for the summer.  The deck of that cabin hangs over one of those trout creeks.  They post a lot of great pics riding the horses up in the mountains.

I envy you if you can make this happen, Valley.  What an excellent way to spend a summer - the San Juan River is heaven.  Best of luck to you on this endeavor, and if it occurs, please share some photos!

If we go back to Colorado next summer, we are thinking of staying in another part of the start just to experience something new.  It looks like all of Colorado is an outdoor paradise but it will be hard to beat Pagosa Springs.

sevenof400

Quote from: Breitontime on September 05, 2015, 06:48:38 pm
Yeah, that gets pricey. I was fortunate my host family up there owned one. I could have never afforded that back then. Your first water landing, it's terrifying.

I used to live in Lino Lakes, MN and one of the major seaplane bases for Canadian fly in vacations is located there.  They make the take offs and landings look so easy - even if they are not.

Breitontime

My first sighting of a water strip was at the Fairbanks airport. They have a water strip at a major airport. It looked cool, until I did it.

I never want to be in one of those big sea planes.

VHSCoach2

My wife and I are trying to formulate plans for next summer.  We are either going to drive north and visit Minnesota (she really wants to go to the Mall of America), and then cut west to visit Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, Yellowstone, and then a few friends who I have in Washington.

Or, we are thinking of a Northeast trip of which the logistics work better with our planned trip to BeachBody Summit in Nashville at the end of July 2016.

Not sure which, but one of those will happen.

Breitontime

If you go up in to the Dakotas, rent a motorcycle. Beautiful ride up there.

WPWells

Dakotas are amazing. I love Teddy Roosevelt National Park

Longfellow

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on September 06, 2015, 02:20:53 pm
My wife and I are trying to formulate plans for next summer.  We are either going to drive north and visit Minnesota (she really wants to go to the Mall of America), and then cut west to visit Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, Yellowstone, and then a few friends who I have in Washington.

Or, we are thinking of a Northeast trip of which the logistics work better with our planned trip to BeachBody Summit in Nashville at the end of July 2016.

You'll never go wrong with a summer trip to the twin cities. Endless amount of things to do, weather is wonderful, lots of friendly people.

sevenof400

September 06, 2015, 04:09:35 pm #35 Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:14:38 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: Breitontime on September 06, 2015, 02:37:28 pm

This assumes that one can ride one without killing one's self......  which in my case, my last motorcycle was was not one with a happy end....

sevenof400

Quote from: Longfellow on September 06, 2015, 03:44:50 pm
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on September 06, 2015, 02:20:53 pm

You'll never go wrong with a summer trip to the twin cities. Endless amount of things to do, weather is wonderful, lots of friendly people.

Even better - Minnesota in winter!   

Breitontime

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 06, 2015, 04:09:35 pm
Quote from: Breitontime on September 06, 2015, 02:37:28 pm

This assumes that one can ride one without killing one's self......  which in my case, my last motorcycle was was not one with a happy end....
If you wreck it, it's a rental, insurance covers it.

Lions84

Went home to Clarendon this summer  but with my kids summer schedule we were only there 3 days.  picked up some pickled okra and enjoyed sitting on the new Porch dad build last year.  He got 4 ceiling fans installed to keep the skeeters at bay.

Lions84

Drove from DFW to Clarendon to see the parents for Christmas the 28-30th  Saw on cop on the way there and only 3 on the way back .  One thing for sure with it being a 7 hour + drive and a 950 mile round trip I am getting too old to do this much anymore.  Buc'ees is a great place to stop on I -20 in Terrell Texas it just opened after Thanksgiving 2015.

OB11

First time I've come across this thread.  I don't get to travel nearly as much as I would like but have been a few places that I thought were really cool.

Honolulu, Hawaii (Played some baseball there one summer.  If you ever get a chance to go to Hawaii, do it but don't stay for long.  Started to feel really claustrophobic realizing I was surrounded by thousands of miles of ocean in every direction)

Dillon, Colorado (Family vacation this past summer.  Colorado is a gorgeous place)

St. Augustine, Florida (Wife and I went on our honeymoon there)

Phoenix & Show Low Arizona (The drive from northeast Arkansas to Arizona is pretty cool.  Go from the green of Arkansas to the flat dust of Texas then the sands of New Mexico and Arizona.  The painted desert is awesome.  You see a lot of changes in scenery along the way.  Show Low lake is on top of a mountain in Arizona.  Had to wear a coat every night and get a fire going)

Breitontime

January 06, 2016, 02:58:30 pm #41 Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 04:21:12 pm by Breitontime
Ah, new year, new travel itinerary. Starting off this month with Daytona and Miami. Next month is OKC and North Carolina, the following month, Dallas, and Daytona again for Bike Week. Then Chicago, Dallas, Milwaukee, Elkhart Lake, Austin, Bonneville, Hilton Head, Birmingham, Indianapolis, Miami again, Durham, and quite a few others I can't think of for the year. And the typical few trips to FL that are non work related.

george7244

Looking forward this spring to making a route66 road trip. Leaving Texarkana and driving to Claremore, Okla then heading West. Going to stop in Oklahoma City and go back to the National WesternHeritageMuseum. Thats one awesome place. Leaving there heading west on I40/66 stopping at a few Route 66 museums and planning on spending the night in Amarillo and eating at the Big Texan Steakhouse. Heading toward Raton the next morning and then head West ending up in Chama, NM and ridingthe steam train to Antonito, Co and bus back to Chama. Heading towards Albuquerque the next day. Plan stopping in Taos and Santa Fe on the way. Going to see Old Town in Albuquerque and then head home. Then plan for a fall vacation towards the East coast. Probably going to need to hit the lottery somewhere in between

Lumberjackfan1978

Looking forward to making a trip soon to the smoky mountains

Lumberjackfan1978

Of course always look forward to going to good RV parks for some great camping

AirWarren

Making a trip to DC this summer. I've been when I was in jr high. But the wife has never been.

george7244

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on January 09, 2016, 10:08:37 pm
.   When you go to Smoky Mountain NP be sure and take the 11 mile loop called Cades Cove. A really beautiful one way drive at a slow pace.  Get here at daybreak and you will see a lot of Deer, Turkeys, an occasional Eagle and possibly see a Black Bear. Google the drive before you go because I believe on Tuesdays or Wednesdays that it is open to bike traffic first and autos are not let in before ten. I promise that the drive is worth it

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: george7244 on January 10, 2016, 09:01:59 am
Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on January 09, 2016, 10:08:37 pm
.   When you go to Smoky Mountain NP be sure and take the 11 mile loop called Cades Cove. A really beautiful one way drive at a slow pace.  Get here at daybreak and you will see a lot of Deer, Turkeys, an occasional Eagle and possibly see a Black Bear. Google the drive before you go because I believe on Tuesdays or Wednesdays that it is open to bike traffic first and autos are not let in before ten. I promise that the drive is worth it
Hey thanks for that information I looked it up and we will definitely be taking the Cade's  Cove loop Thanks

WPWells

Just spent a week in Memphis on a mission trip, but I did a couple things in town. I started at the Liberty Bowl before meeting with my group, and that was fun. I met up with my group and we went to work. In between we went to the National Civil Rights Museum as well as Central BBQ. I went and had coffee with a couple friends at City & State which was wonderful. I also went to brunch with friends at a place called Brother Juniper's

smallybells

My dad lives about 30 minutes from Clemson, SC. I ended up going to stay a week with him this fall and got to catch the FSU/Clemson game, it was the loudest football game I have ever experienced live, hands down. I spent the rest of the time driving around in the Blue Ridge Mountains, some really pretty scenery in those parts.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas