• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Manila lady lions

Started by STORM, July 29, 2018, 08:49:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

STORM

Word from Buffalo Island the new ladies coach @ Manila is putting them through a tough conditioning workout, when she shows up!

Head Lion

At the rate she is going, she will double the 41 days she missed at PB last year. Home run hire, she gonna have to do a 180 QUICK! 🤷🏼‍♂️ JMO

STORM

Pine Bluff? Not the same lady who had the altercation @ Mt. Home is it?

Head Lion

Quote from: STORM on July 29, 2018, 09:16:24 pm
Pine Bluff? Not the same lady who had the altercation @ Mt. Home is it?
That would be her, she spoke about wanting to hit the ground running & get involved in the community. I'm afraid for the kids this is not the case. I have a bad feeling her reputation has been well earned.

STORM

Definitely not what your girls team needs at this stage.maybe she will get settled in and find her groove.

RedWolf275

It was a strange hire for sure!

Head Lion

She has not worked a full 8 hour day since she got here & is on a 12 month contract. Sad to say, but someone got sold some oceanfront property in Arizona, to quote GS.

baller334

Did they not check references where she was at before the hire? It sounds to me like someone didn't care what she had done.

Head Lion

Quote from: baller334 on July 31, 2018, 07:15:22 pm
Did they not check references where she was at before the hire? It sounds to me like someone didn't care what she had done.
Look back at Cotton Hogs post on job openings. Someone try to warn them & they were just labeled racist. She was the hire wanted by the people in power in Manila now. They didn't want to listen to the guy that had spent more hours in the gym than all of them combined.

adakaj

The sad part of all of this is the girls pay the price. It seems that when it comes to girls athletics we hire the first person who comes along. The same effort that has been used to hire a boys coach needs to be applied when hiring a girls coach. And if the boys have 4 coaches then the girls should have 4 also instead of 2. Think of the GIRLS!!!

Head Lion

Quote from: adakaj on July 31, 2018, 08:41:21 pm
The sad part of all of this is the girls pay the price. It seems that when it comes to girls athletics we hire the first person who comes along. The same effort that has been used to hire a boys coach needs to be applied when hiring a girls coach. And if the boys have 4 coaches then the girls should have 4 also instead of 2. Think of the GIRLS!!!
I do, just got out of the gym practicing 23 Elementary girls for 2 hours. We had a great workout. Boys presently have 1 coach full time. In girls we do need to take same approach as boys & go recruit a proven winner. JMO, but it has worked very well for the boys the last decade.

STORM

Don't think she was the first coach to come along for this job! 3 others for sure applied and highly qualified. From reading previous post cottonhog said quote " this is a home run hire". Several newspaper post, AThletic director from Pine Bluff opinion was brought to attention before she signed a contract. 3 girls parents wanted this to no end. Your right, the kids are suffering! Can't see how boys program is to blame, short few years ago they hired Jerald Hudspeth for the second time, didn't win 5 games his last year. The race, gender or what sport should not have anything to play in a hire, get the best qualified person that applies.

4real

HL, that is just bizarre.  Are the folks that pushed this through wanting to keep the girls at bay?  Or just a few loopy nuts who pull stuff out of left field that happen to be in power?  Unfortunate for your community and school.  Hopefully, it will get better, one way or another.  I know you've been heavily invested in those programs for years.

adakaj

Wasnt blaming the boys program justnwant the same hiring practices.

STORM

Going to take winning tradition to bring in bigger coaches. Probably one of very few 3-A schools to offer a 245 day contract for both girls and boys coaches, so why do you think there are no bigger name girls coaches applying? Same process, bob white applied, so did Brewington, hudspeth, Taylor, and Wimberley. Nothing special , get same days of contract. Please explain why it's different because I'm confused.

4real

I didn't think the boys program was to blame.  Just curious if there were powers that be who would seek to covertly find ways to keep girls in their place, as some use to think.

My guess is that someone had their had shoved so far up their rearend that they didn't have a clue who they were really offering the job to.  They heard female and jumped the gun maybe.  There are good female coaches, and we need more.  Sometimes a hire is made to make efforts to equalize society, be it gender or race, or a combination thereof, without any real background research into their body of work or experience or references.

Head Lion

I have hired a few people in my life & I use the Frank Broyles Rule 1. Hire a proven winner, Bill Taylor 2. If 1 is not possible, you hire a Coach Wimberley, that comes from a thread of great coaches Jerry Bridges, Bobby Gross. He played for Scotty Bowlin, which gave him a great background foundation to build his own program. O well, what the heck do I know.

adakaj

Do you use the same process for girls? I have known some good prospects get looked over for some with less experience. We need someone who is going to work these girls, get them into shape, and light their desire to win. I believe that desire is their justify haven't had a leader to light it. Sure you may lose some girls that don't want to work hard but those with heart will be there.

neaguru

Quote from: adakaj on August 01, 2018, 01:13:51 am
Do you use the same process for girls? I have known some good prospects get looked over for some with less experience. We need someone who is going to work these girls, get them into shape, and light their desire to win. I believe that desire is their justify haven't had a leader to light it. Sure you may lose some girls that don't want to work hard but those with heart will be there.
Who are these good prospects? I would like to hear some names.

Head Lion

Quote from: neaguru on August 01, 2018, 06:27:57 am
Who are these good prospects? I would like to hear some names.
guru, in respect to those coaches & their current job that is not kosher. I just wish we would get back to working together for the best of all kids, girls, boys, rich poor. I will work with ANYONE ANYWHERE to help kids.

Bigleague

I'm hearing big news from the lady lion basketball program.   

4real

Bigleague

Like maybe the coach left today.    I don't know if that's true.  I'm just a bay fan

baller334

I've heard the same!! Maybe Head Lion needs to coach them.....

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

HL must be laying low until they get this squared away.   There is no doubt in my mind he would make them a great coach & those kids would go all out for him.

cotton hog

neaguru

STORM

Doubt! Doubt is 3 guys hired a NO WIN situation with an absolute no chance for success! Hope those guys take responsibility for the young ladies not picking a ball up since last February. Not participating in a camp game & no days in the gym = failure. Whoever takes over now, is behind the 8-ball for sure.

cotton hog

Quote from: STORM on August 09, 2018, 12:54:27 pm
Doubt! Doubt is 3 guys hired a NO WIN situation with an absolute no chance for success! Hope those guys take responsibility for the young ladies not picking a ball up since last February. Not participating in a camp game & no days in the gym = failure. Whoever takes over now, is behind the 8-ball for sure.
3 guys? Pretty sure it takes more than that. The girls are gonna keep going. They have been in the gym all summer except for dead period. The new coach will bring in enthusiasm and intensity. Still have 3 months to get ready.

adakaj

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

I heard it was going to be Birmingham. 

Head Lion

Quote from: BICMUSTANG4LIFE on August 10, 2018, 12:25:46 pm
I heard it was going to be Birmingham.
we have a winner 👍🏼

adakaj

Look forward to see him work with the girls!!! I think he will work hard to have them ready!!

adakaj

Look forward to see him work with the girls!!! I think he will work hard to have them ready!!

Head Lion

Zac Birmingham will take over the reigns of the Sr girls program. He is a 2010 grad of Manila and brother of multi athlete Sr Brock Birmingham. He will try to bring stability, work ethic and a change in culture to the program. I have known him since birth and he brings the highest of integrity and character to the job. He is a man of faith and is not ashamed of it. No matter the record, our program is miles better off than it was a month ago and believe it has hit bottom and now makes that long hard journey back to a proud program.

NEA Razorback olfan

Good Luck to the Lady Lions !!

adakaj

Best of luck!! I know you will do great things!!

Informant

Birmingham will pull triple duty as Girls coach, Jr boys coach and assistant in football? 

Not questioning the work ethic, but if this is true, the Manila powers have put this kid behind the 8 ball already.  Seeing as how he most likely has his job because of his father, he has his work cut out for him. 

cotton hog

Just Sr girls and Jr boys basketball is the way i understand it. I don't think he is doing football any longer. We are excited about having Zach. The girls are ready to get to work.

Basketballfan13

Is this just to get through this year since school is already starting or is he looking at being the girls coach for next year too if he chooses to stay?

redandgray

Quote from: Head Lion on August 12, 2018, 01:49:50 pm
Zac Birmingham will take over the reigns of the Sr girls program. He is a 2010 grad of Manila and brother of multi athlete Sr Brock Birmingham. He will try to bring stability, work ethic and a change in culture to the program. I have known him since birth and he brings the highest of integrity and character to the job. He is a man of faith and is not ashamed of it. No matter the record, our program is miles better off than it was a month ago and believe it has hit bottom and now makes that long hard journey back to a proud program.

Good deal!  Congrats to Zac.  Always means a lot to home-grown boys. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas